Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pav1878

You think VVD would go for 80m if sold this year?
Then we should go for this season's VVD, instead of getting ripped off for Maguire.

Are you telling me there is no other CBs out there who we could unearth that could improve us? Maguire is the only one who we could get? Really?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
No team have 11 pace merchants. He clearly meant other positions, mostly in the attacking domain. Our attack has been dreadful and not functioning for ages.
This is exactly what Ole said.

“It doesn’t matter if they are English, Norwegian, French, Brazilian. You just want good players and good people. Quality and speed, of course, is a big thing in football nowadays. "

Ole didn't spoke of neither pace merchants nor forwards. Pace is indeed key in defence as well especially in modern football were strikers are relying more on pace and less on their physical attributes.

Irwin99

2018-19: Young - Lindelöf - Smalling - Shaw
2019-20: Wan-Bissaka - Lindelöf - Maguire - Shaw

that's the key for me. People will moan about everything, but that back four is objectively a lot better than last year's and that's what matters at the end of the day.
Said the same plenty of times, despite the ridiculous price it's a big improvement for our back line.

...Only slight problem is if Shaw is injured/injury prone again, or if Smalling gets the nod over Lindelof. On a technical level the 2019-20 defence you picked definitely go up a few gears in terms of playing out from the back.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is exactly what Ole said.

“It doesn’t matter if they are English, Norwegian, French, Brazilian. You just want good players and good people. Quality and speed, of course, is a big thing in football nowadays. "

Ole didn't spoke of neither pace merchants nor forwards. Pace is indeed key in defence as well especially in modern football were strikers are relying more on pace and less on their physical attributes.
So every signing has to have speed? Probably not eh.

Or are you suggesting he's either gone back on this, or is having the signing dictated to him?

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Maguire could be the difference between us and CL football. Between signing Demarai Gray and Jadon Sancho. Between keeping Pogba for another season or losing him for 60m to Madrid on the last day of next summer.

80m would be a bargain.
Agree with every sentence.

I think many of you underestimate the importance of buying a local British lad. His profile fits our needs almost 100%, he’s part of the NT and his proven on almost every level. What more can we ask for?

Regarding other options they also comes with pros and cons. The foreign guys often needs time to adapt to culture and language. That’s a big part how fast a player can step up to expected level. Also not every talent is suited to play with a big club like United, we only have to go back to Lindelöf’s first season to be remembered about initial difficulties with coming to a new club with hefty expectations.

When all this is taking into account then we can properly judge the reported fee.

If Maguire can slot in as a starter and almost directly perform to expected level then this is worth many many millions. For example let’s say we buy KK from Italy and he needs half a season do adapt, then maybe that’s enough for us to be outside the top four race when we come to spring. Same with the de Ligt or any other young talent who where on our shopping list. Everything must be taking into account when deciding what’s a safe buy or not.

In my world Harry Maguire represents the most optimal buy we can do if we compare risk and reward. 60+20 or whatever we end up paying is good value if we compare to the other options.

devilish

So every signing has to have speed? Probably not eh.

Or are you suggesting he's either gone back on this, or is having the signing dictated to him?

As you said I can't see anyone having 11 Daniel James in the team however I can see a team who can field a first team of which none of them is particularly slow. Honestly, I don't know how to answer your question. Either he's clueless at times or the club might sign players he doesn't want or we're really scrapping the very bottom of Ole's wish list.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
My point is this. Ideally United have a WC negotiation team and scouts who had already came out with a list of 7 top quality defenders (one of which may or may not be Maguire) for Ole to choose from who would sign for us on realistic fees. Meanwhile Bailly (20m), Rojo (20m) and Darmian (14m) had already been sold boosted our transfer kitty significantly. At this point AWB had already been signed for 35m + addons while Leicester is sweating to get an extra 10m for Maguire. The latter is desperate to join us and since he (as AWB before him) knows that United might easily switch targets he is pushing his club hard so they would sell him. Leicester are between a rock and a hard place. One one hand they don't want to sell unless they get a ridiculous fee and on the other hand they don't want to keep an unhappy player. Irrespective of what THEY choose, United can easily and positively react to it by switching to other targets.

Unfortunately we don't have that. United's negotiating team is a joke and so are our scouts who seem to struggle to find adequate alternatives for Ole to consider. Under such circumstances we have no choice but to buy Maguire on crazy money.
This is just fantasy though, as you know Andersen and Milenkovic you mentioned above, are not top quality defenders and the latter had 50m euro on his head. It sounds like we've gone Koula (priced out) - De Ligt (rejected us) - Maguire (priced out - looks like we might return though) - Milenkovic (enquiry again). You can't negotiate 7 deals and just get Ole to pick what he thinks the best candidate is. Also, AWB was never going to go for 35m + add ons. That is pretty much why it couldn't be done.

I dont know where you think these bargain players are coming from? Has anyone, aiming for the top 4, bought a defender in the last 3 seasons for less than 40m? Genuine question.

roseguy64

Don't people quote them as having taken 1.8 billion out of the club in their time here?
Not for themselves. I'm 90% sure that figure is mostly loans. IIRC they only started taking money out when we listed on the NYSE and if they had taken out that much the stockholders would have been concerned.

red thru&thru

Agree with every sentence.

I think many of you underestimate the importance of buying a local British lad. His profile fits our needs almost 100%, he’s part of the NT and his proven on almost every level. What more can we ask for?

Regarding other options they also comes with pros and cons. The foreign guys often needs time to adapt to culture and language. That’s a big part how fast a player can step up to expected level. Also not every talent is suited to play with a big club like United, we only have to go back to Lindelöf’s first season to be remembered about initial difficulties with coming to a new club with hefty expectations.

When all this is taking into account then we can properly judge the reported fee.

If Maguire can slot in as a starter and almost directly perform to expected level then this is worth many many millions. For example let’s say we buy KK from Italy and he needs half a season do adapt, then maybe that’s enough for us to be outside the top four race when we come to spring. Same with the de Ligt or any other young talent who where on our shopping list. Everything must be taking into account when deciding what’s a safe buy or not.

In my world Harry Maguire represents the most optimal buy we can do if we compare risk and reward. 60+20 or whatever we end up paying is good value if we compare to the other options.
Pretty much agree with this. I think we very much missed out with VVD, or should I say we were very inept, but the next best thing would be Maguire.

Also his character is the type we need. Apparently, since debuting with Sheffield United, to Hull and then onto Leicester, he's pretty much been that teams player of the year. Shows the kind of character he is.

padzilla

Hipster
Are any credible outlets reporting about a deal being agreed for Maguire? Likes of BBC, The Guardian and F365 have nothing at all up about it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
As you said I can't see anyone having 11 Daniel James in the team however I can see a team who can field a first team of which none of them is particularly slow. Honestly, I don't know how to answer your question. Either he's clueless at times or the club might sign players he doesn't want or we're really scrapping the very bottom of Ole's wish list.
Let's hope it was just Ole speaking in general, and Maguire was always top priority, for his other strengths.
The full backs are both fast (although you wouldn't believe it for that goal v Cardiff last season from Shaw), and Smalling next to Maguire would be complimentary where needed.

In games at home to lowly teams there to defend, having two ball playing centre backs, with Lindelöf in there could be genius.

We will see!

lysglimt

Scout
Experience is important but there again we've already got that in Rojo, Smalling and Jones. If these players can't provide experience at their age then why the feck we're keeping them? Therefore we either sell those up and then replace them with someone with experience + 1 very promising defender else we assume they got the experience we need and aim for younger players on realistic fees. Regarding Ole, I do understand that he's got no power on the club's incompetence. There again why did he mentioned pace as a key asset to succeed with Manchester United when he had Maguire on his mind? Why did he talked about survival of the fittest when he knew that our incompetent board aren't able to sell the players he want out?
There isnt a single team in the world who has 11 quick players - the problem is when the majority of the team lacks it. But now he has signed 2 players who arguably are the quickest in our club - and one player who is average.

As for talented defenders - we have AWB and Shaw who could be our defenders for 8-9 years. We have Lindelof who is 25 and Tuanzebe who is 21...we don't need 2 more talented defenders. We need one leader and experienced player at the back.

As for survival of the fittest - with the minor problem of it being poor for finances. What difference does it make to you and me if Rojo and Darmian are sold or at the club and not playing ? Absolutely nothing. OGS will be ruthless with who plays - but he can't control if the board can get rid of them. If they are not good enough he will replace them with someone better - but if the result is that they are sold, or at the club and not playing is not something he can do anything about. Being ruthless for a manager is not playing a player.

Brophs

The One and Only
A very very old 27 though.
You can't see him turning out mid to late 30s.

Although in one way, he has low miles on the clock!!
I'd be amazed if Jones doesn't fall to his death trying to adjust his satellite dish during a storm before he's 30. He just seems the type.

Motorman

Then we should go for this season's VVD, instead of getting ripped off for Maguire.

Are you telling me there is no other CBs out there who we could unearth that could improve us? Maguire is the only one who we could get? Really?
I dont know where you have got that from. Im not saying that at all.

I'm saying why are people comparing apples and pears, i.e. this window with previous windows.

OutOfTowner

JCL Daytripping WUM
I'd be amazed if Jones doesn't fall to his death trying to adjust his satellite dish during a storm before he's 30. He just seems the type.
In the midst of all the relentless misery and finger-gnashing lamentations that this thread has continued to be, this comment is a beacon of light.:lol:

devilish

There isnt a single team in the world who has 11 quick players - the problem is when the majority of the team lacks it. But now he has signed 2 players who arguably are the quickest in our club - and one player who is average.

As for talented defenders - we have AWB and Shaw who could be our defenders for 8-9 years. We have Lindelof who is 25 and Tuanzebe who is 21...we don't need 2 more talented defenders. We need one leader and experienced player at the back.

As for survival of the fittest - with the minor problem of it being poor for finances. What difference does it make to you and me if Rojo and Darmian are sold or at the club and not playing ? Absolutely nothing. OGS will be ruthless with who plays - but he can't control if the board can get rid of them. If they are not good enough he will replace them with someone better - but if the result is that they are sold, or at the club and not playing is not something he can do anything about. Being ruthless for a manager is not playing a player.
Maguire isn't average in terms of pace, he's slow. There's no beating around the bush on that one.

As said, if we need someone to provide leadership despite having Rojo, Smalling and Jones then why the hell are we keeping the latter? At their age they should be the ones leading the defence. So we either keep them (or 1 of them) and surround them with young players else we sell them up and bring the experience we need. A central defence made up of Lindelof, Andersen, Smalling, Tuanzebe is quite competitive especially with Milenkovic and AWB fighting for the RB spot and Dalot and Shaw fighting for the LB spot.

Finally not selling deadwood gives the impression that one can afford not carrying his weight at United and still remain here and on huge salaries. That's never a good sign at a top club.

Adcuth

Good news for sure! He reminds me a lot of Pallister - and I rate Gary among the best to have ever played in our defense. With him and Wan Bissaka we're already twice the team we were last year defensively and they both have qualities that will help our domination further up the pitch as well. 80 millions though... That made my ballsack shrink then throb painfully for a bit I must admit :eek: but he's professional and ambitious plus already a proven success - also we get him in his prime - so there's all that. Oh well it's not my money - so I'm just looking forward to seeing him perform :drool:
Why does the price bother anyone? What difference does it make to us as fans? I get when someone is on a big wage and not performing but I don't get complaints about a new signings fee

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Why does the price bother anyone? What difference does it make to us as fans? I get when someone is on a big wage and not performing but I don't get complaints about a new signings fee
Indeed and if it does matter so much why are those same people not in hysterics that Leicester's replacement is 45m Lewis Dunk? I mean come on, Maguire's a bargain isn't he in a market where Dunk is moving for that kind of money. If it's true that we've got him for 60m + 20m then I see that as a job well done tbh as 60m outright seems fair and the extra 20m will be worth it if he's contributed to the success that triggers those addons

SaintMuppet

That's the thing. What if he doesn't, what if he's just more of the same?
Anyone we sign could be more if the same. Delight could roll up here and bomb big time, get injured, not fit in, not adjust to the premiership. The same could be said for any player in any position.

This place is full of people who just like to moan. Spend too much... moan, don’t spend enough... moan, buy this player instead of that player moan, dear god people give it a rest.

Edited for spelling

Status
Not open for further replies.