Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Can7onA

So you're at home and your Missus is moaning about the back garden, you suggest sorting it out by crazy paving it.

You crazy pave it and its a mess, all over the place, doesn't fill you with confidence as a bedrock to your patio and al fresco dreams.

So you get pissed off with the constant moaning from the Missus so you just slab the bastard.

It costs more but it does the job.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
CBs have compensated for being relatively slow for ages, hardly anything new.

What it comes down to is a) positional intelligence/anticipation and b) system (if the tactics constantly expose you to situations where your speed is a decisive factor, you'll obviously look like shite if you're slow).

And, yes, even brilliant defenders who are on the slow side will occasionally get skinned by a rapid opponent - that can't be helped but it's not a problem in the grand scheme if a) and b) above are in place.

buckooo1978

we just spent £55m on a RB with no international caps
with Wan Bissaka you look at him and think there's a fantastic defender.... has anyone felt that way about Maguire?

I think the post you replied to should have read 80 million for Maguire rather than defender

if Maguire was a Vidic you'd pay 100m no problem - I just hope he can develop to be one of the best

lsd

The Oracle
I remember people had their doubts with Rio. Obviously was a brilliant talent but reservations over his attitude for the highest levels.

I don't remember anyone having doubts about Rio and there's no way you can compare Rio to Maguire . Rio was recognised as one of if not the best defenders going when we signed him with at least ten peak years ahead of him .

Maguire is a poor version of Steve Bruce and I mean poor version

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
with Wan Bissaka you look at him and think there's a fantastic defender.... has anyone felt that way about Maguire?

I think the post you replied to should have read 80 million for Maguire rather than defender

if Maguire was a Vidic you'd pay 100m no problem - I just hope he can develop to be one of the best
Yeah, I get why people would choose the optmistic POV, if Maguire is good enough during the next 4 years then everyone is happy despite the fee. Now there is the actual risk that Maguire isn't good enough in the next 4 years and in that case the fee makes the entire situation worse. I don't think that there is a good or bad view here, we can all accept both of them at the same time.

Dozer

The price is only of any relevance if it compromises our ability to sign other targets.

I'm fairly confident we'll get a CM. Not so confident we'll get a RW but I don't think that's down to budget - it's down to the fact every manager we've had since Nani left has, inexplicably, been completely blind to the lack of threat on that side.

Here's hoping Rojo, Darmian and Bailly are shifted to balance the books a bit. Lindelof, Maguire, Smalling, Jones & Tuanzebe is plenty.

izec

The price is only of any relevance if it compromises our ability to sign other targets.

I'm fairly confident we'll get a CM. Not so confident we'll get a RW but I don't think that's down to budget - it's down to the fact every manager we've had since Nani left has, inexplicably, been completely blind to the lack of threat on that side.

Here's hoping Rojo, Darmian and Bailly are shifted to balance the books a bit. Lindelof, Maguire, Smalling, Jones & Tuanzebe is plenty.
Not sure we can get rid of Rojo for now, but Bailly and Darmian should be sold. I am sure we can fetch 25 or 30m for the pair of them

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!

Relative to other central defenders in the Premier League, yes you can say that.

VVD has been in a class of his own for 18 months.

Laporte has been outstanding.

Maguire over the last two years has sat quite comfortably with the group of say Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Stones, Diop, Rudiger, Gomez and Ake, with his England form probably topping most of those guys internationally.

Some of those players play in infinitely better teams, and didn't have managerial changes part way through the season as Leicester did - where you'd say Puel's tactics and cautious approach held them back from their true potential.

Still don't think he's worth the fee, but I definitely see the player as a clear improvement over what we have from a consistency, injury, defending skills, ball skills and aerial threat point of view (the slab head title didn't come from nowhere!).

Marcelinho87

I don't remember anyone having doubts about Rio and there's no way you can compare Rio to Maguire . Rio was recognised as one of if not the best defenders going when we signed him with at least ten peak years ahead of him .

Maguire is a poor version of Steve Bruce and I mean poor version
At the time we signed Rio he was known as a brilliant defender who had a brain fart in him... Had a few early on at United but ironed those out quickly and for me went on to be the best CB in the world.

oldgrumpyred

So we've agreed feck all then?
If you read reports, it's all a load of tosh and nothing has been agreed. But all this messing and 'is he, isn't he coming' could mean missing out on Fernandes (if there really was any intention/truth behind the rumours) Farcical really, but expected nothing more!

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Isn't he also widely disliked by Liverpool supporters after he probably should've been sent off, and then went and scored against them?

Harry is a red.

stepic

Maguire is absolutely a fantastic defender. he's one of the best in the league. he is far more established as a CB than AWB is as a RB, yet many on here think he's worth less than what we paid for the latter. it's absurd.

Jordan_mufc

Harry Maguire is far and beyond any CB that we have in the squad right now. His aerial ability alone will save us around 4-7 goals next season. He'll most likely chip in with a few goals himself.

Considering he is 26, he is only going to get better from here on out. I for one will be delighted if this deal goes through. Another gaping hole in our team plugged.

Eleven-Eighteen

So you're at home and your Missus is moaning about the back garden, you suggest sorting it out by crazy paving it.

You crazy pave it and its a mess, all over the place, doesn't fill you with confidence as a bedrock to your patio and al fresco dreams.

So you get pissed off with the constant moaning from the Missus so you just slab the bastard.

It costs more but it does the job.
Are you suggesting we, the Caf, are United's missus?

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Maguire is absolutely a fantastic defender. he's one of the best in the league. he is far more established as a CB than AWB is as a RB, yet many on here think he's worth less than what we paid for the latter. it's absurd.
The bolded part. Many don't think he's one of the best CB's in the league. He's probably top ten, but that's not exactly huge praise given the lack of quality CB's outside of City and Pool's squads right now.

AWB is a potentially world-class right back, and he's only 21. It's a riskier signing than Maguire but one that could pay far more dividends if it works out. Maguire is 26 and hasn't really shown anything in his career so far to suggest he could reach the level AWB potentially can, that's the difference.

I only see very few posters on here who don't rate Maguire, pretty much everyone agrees that he's better than what we have, but some think he's not that much better (me included) and some think he's far better (you, I guess). Maybe the truth lies some in the middle but if you think the former I see nothing wrong with being uncomfortable at such a monstrous fee.

Personally I don't really care about the fee, it's better than the club not spending money, I just don't think Maguire will have enough of an impact on our defense to ever justify it.

lysglimt

Scout
£80M is a ridiculous fee for a defender. We should able to buy the entire defence for that.
Yeah if we are Lucky enough to get one or two of them on a free transfers...but you are lucky to find 4 really good defenders being bought by any English club for under £80 million combined.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
I wasn't a big fan of Maguire and when we failed to sign him last season, I was glad we didn't spend big money on him.

After 2017-18 season, we finished 2nd in the league with 2nd best defensive record. So at that time I thought it didnt make sense to spend big money on Magurie when we were desperate for a RB, RW and even a CM.

Now everything has changed. Don't think he played any better than he did in 2017-18 season but our position has changed completely. We finished 6th and had very poor season defensively, conceding 54 goals.

80 million is a huge fee and looks like we might not even get him for that fee. There might be better CBs available for less money but going by rumors we are linked with only him. So now it's a choice between Maguire or 80 million in the bank. Always went with the logic that player on the field is better than money in the bank (except last season when i really believed it would be waste of money). It's a big fee but as a overall package he looks upgrade on our CBs. His passing is good, his ability to carry the ball forward can be matched by only few CBs in the league and he is very strong in aerial duels. He also wins many headers in both boxes.

He lacks pace but more than that he loses his marker bit easily which will be a concern. When Hull got relegated, that was the time to sign him as we knew how good he was, he played well against us. But now that we can't change the past, we have to take the risk and sign him.

Last edited:

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
Very happy if we get this one through, don't care about money if the player is right, too much money wasted on players with potential that don't get there, most of our current backline. Maguire is proven in the premiership. He has all the tools needed to be an already dominant centre back. I would say while it is good he enjoys to use the ball at his feet, he needs to sharpen up this part of his game, sometimes gets caught taking too much time. This also falls under decision making which is something that can be improved, when to make that forward pass or run, when to keep it simple, when to put it in row z. But the main thing is the lad can defend, on the ground and of course in the air where he is arguably the only cb superior to VanDjyk in that area. He also strikes me as a good character to have around a club and in the dressing room I suspect, will hopefully very quickly become a leader. I just hope he gets the support and coaching to make him more the finished article.

What an absolute leap of quality on what we already have though.

Siorac

Thats such a cop out. No worldwide scouting network means you do not have enough information to recommend alternatives - fair enough
But somehow you have enough information to dismiss Maguire...
Well, I mean, yes.

I don't know if a random pizzeria somewhere in Peru makes good pizza. But I'm pretty sure there are many pizzerias in Peru that make better pizza than the place next to my home that burns the living shit out of it and their ingredients are terrible. I'd rather keep searching for a better pizza than to buy one from the place near me, especially if they hike the price.

And now I'm hungry and it's your fault entirely.

shaky

Genuine question is he better than Lucas Hernandez? Bayern paid 72 for him.
Hard to quantify who is better really. Even if we decide he's not better than Hernandez, what does that tell us? That Bayern got a very good deal? that we are getting a poor deal? Both? Should we only spend the money if we are getting equal or better value than Bayern got with Hernandez?

stepic

The bolded part. Many don't think he's one of the best CB's in the league. He's probably top ten, but that's not exactly huge praise given the lack of quality CB's outside of City and Pool's squads right now.

AWB is a potentially world-class right back, and he's only 21. It's a riskier signing than Maguire but one that could pay far more dividends if it works out. Maguire is 26 and hasn't really shown anything in his career so far to suggest he could reach the level AWB potentially can, that's the difference.

I only see very few posters on here who don't rate Maguire, pretty much everyone agrees that he's better than what we have, but some think he's not that much better (me included) and some think he's far better (you, I guess). Maybe the truth lies some in the middle but if you think the former I see nothing wrong with being uncomfortable at such a monstrous fee.

Personally I don't really care about the fee, it's better than the club not spending money, I just don't think Maguire will have enough of an impact on our defense to ever justify it.
people are entitled to their opinion but he is clearly one of the best defenders in the league, and comfortably in the top 10. who is better? VVD and Laporte are the only two clearly better. then you have a gap with the likes of Rudiger, Toby, Vertonghen etc. He is clearly in that bracket. personally i'd have him 3 or 4 in the league.

the bolded bit in your post makes no sense at all. it's up to AWB to prove he is capable of reaching Maguire's level (as a seasoned international), not the other way round.

Morpheus 7

Lads it's like this, if Maguire is a United player on August 8th we'll be a better team. We can argue about what he's worth and how much he'll improve us but we need a CB. Nobody in here is paying the fee regardless. United need to strengthen certain areas to become competitive, in my opinion this is a key area. If we buy him that backline longs so much stronger. If we don't pay the fee and bring in nobody forget about challenging for anything next season with them CB's, it's really that black and white.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
people are entitled to their opinion but he is clearly one of the best defenders in the league, and comfortably in the top 10. who is better? VVD and Laporte are the only two clearly better. then you have a gap with the likes of Rudiger, Toby, Vertonghen etc. He is clearly in that bracket. personally i'd have him 3 or 4 in the league.

the bolded bit in your post makes no sense at all. it's up to AWB to prove he is capable of reaching Maguire's level (as a seasoned international), not the other way round.
It makes perfect sense hence the "potentially". Feel free to read it again.

I don't know if you actually read my post, but I said he was top 10. You're just agreeing with me.

Nogbadthebad

Rather money went on players than to the glazers, so not really bothered about fees.

He is better than what we have, in particular, he is the best in the league for aerial battles I believe.

He also appears to be the best CB who actually wants to come here.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
People will be singing his song at Old Trafford 15 years from now. Bound to become a **** hero here, at the very least.

AdNani

I don't know if you actually read my post, but I said he was top 10. You're just agreeing with me.
He’s comfortably top 5, I’d have him over anyone in the league bar VVD and Laporte tbh.

Alderweirald and Vertongan are the only ones who are anywhere near as good and there a lot older

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
..............................De Gea (28)...........................
AWB (21).....Lindelof (24)...Maguire (26)....Shaw (24)

If we can sign Maguire, that back 5 looks a whole lot better, and the unit should develop together for a good few years.
Big credit to Ole.

stepic

why does AWB have more potential than Maguire? just because he's younger?

you said many didn't think he was one of the best CB's in the league, and that he was 'probably' top 10 (because i read your post). i'm saying he is definitely top 10 and only conclusively behind VVD and Laporte.

Jonno

If only the board backed Mourinho last summer and brought him in then.

He would have given us a 6-9 point swing for sure. He stops goals, he's reliable, he barely gets injured, he scores goals.

I don't care about fees, having AWB and Maguire in our line up for 50 games next season will dramatically improve our team.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
why does AWB have more potential than Maguire? just because he's younger?

you said many didn't think he was one of the best CB's in the league, and that he was 'probably' top 10 (because i read your post). i'm saying he is definitely top 10 and only conclusively behind VVD and Laporte.
I'n saying probably because it's all subjective, really. I do think he's top 10, possibly pushing top five, but a lot of that is due to the fact that only VVD and Laporte are top class and only Toby and Vertonghen are close to top-class. So in that respect he's probably the best CB we could get from the PL right now, which isn't a bad thing.

AWB has more potential than Maguire because he's shown glimpses that he can become a great player. I'm not sure what's so complex about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.