Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Rodgers & Leicester seem pretty confident we will eventually pay whatever their valuation is. I like Maguire, but not enough to be held to ransom for a record fee. I would love to see a headline of Toby signing for 25m and know Leicester got over confident and fecked up.
They are demanding a world record fee because they don’t want to sell mate.

starman

Fecked up by keeping a player we don’t want to sell?
Does any team wish to sell their best players? Did Liverpool wish to sell Coutinho? nope, but they got a massive fee for him and invested it wisely and were better off...There's a lot Leicester could do with 80m+

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Does any team wish to sell their best players? Did Liverpool wish to sell Coutinho? nope, but they got a massive fee for him and invested it wisely and were better off...There's a lot Leicester could do with 80m+
There is but you’re assuming we need that money to buy, we don’t

jungledrums

Come on in all honestly, its a big gamble for Harry AT THIS MOMENT, to agree for a move.
Everyone must agree a player such as HM must have supreme confidence in his ability.
So going through his mind, Leicester look has they have a chance to progress, we look to be heading towards a crossroads season, ( could stagnate, could regain some prestige, or fall further).
In his situation, surely the best option is to stay at Leciester, see what transpires, and next year, providing he performs admirably have his pick of clubs
Its a no brainer really, he's staying put.
You’d know wouldn’t you

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
So if they keep Maguire why not go out and buy a potentially up and coming World class CB to partner him? They were still relying on Wes Morgan last season...
We did buy 2 CBs both are 22-23 we didn’t rely on Wes Morgan either he played the games he did through injury to Maguire and Evans by the end he wasn’t even making the bench, Soyuncu would have played more had he settled in quicker and learned the language faster.

Benkovic and Soyuncu are very highly rated players so we don’t need to go out and spend on a CB just for the sake of it

crackers0seven

Just pay what they want, 22days to window closes. Get him in and get him up to date with training,tactics etc. Utd again this summer have left alot to be desired transfer wise. Finished miles behind in league,you would think that would light a fire under them,but no, dancing around deals again it seems,like the summer of cesc, Baines and fellaini and we end up with paying over the odds for a tree. And why is it we can seem to shift deadwood,pool sell ings,ibe,borini for 15/20m region and we can even let darmian and rojo etc go. I work a dead end factory job and even I can see that ed Woodward isn't up to doing transfer deals at utd. It's not his fault,hes just not up to it,its the club and its owners fault. Wake up utd,before we are even further behind city ,pool and spurs. God I miss the days of fergie and gill:(

starman

We did buy 2 CBs both are 22-23 we didn’t rely on Wes Morgan either he played the games he did through injury to Maguire and Evans by the end he wasn’t even making the bench, Soyuncu would have played more had he settled in quicker and learned the language faster.

Benkovic and Soyuncu are very highly rated players so we don’t need to go out and spend on a CB just for the sake of it
By who? Leicester fans. Or in their home leagues...neither have done anything to suggest they are highly rated, irrc, Soyuncu was rather calamitous when he played.

Anyone looking at Leicester's team will say there a major weak spot next to Maguire. You portray Leicester as having money to spend, but why dont they address this very clear problem and get the standard up. Evans is decent but hes never been or had potential to be world class. Chilwell, Maguire and Pereira all have the ability to reach that level one day.

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Just pay what they want, 22days to window closes. Get him in and get him up to date with training,tactics etc. Utd again this summer have left alot to be desired transfer wise. Finished miles behind in league,you would think that would light a fire under them,but no, dancing around deals again it seems,like the summer of cesc, Baines and fellaini and we end up with paying over the odds for a tree. And why is it we can seem to shift deadwood,pool sell ings,ibe,borini for 15/20m region and we can even let darmian and rojo etc go. I work a dead end factory job and even I can see that ed Woodward isn't up to doing transfer deals at utd. It's not his fault,hes just not up to it,its the club and its owners fault. Wake up utd,before we are even further behind city ,pool and spurs. God I miss the days of fergie and gill:(
Woodward, tbf has to manage the financials and therefore manage or have constraints on the transfer budgets.

He has as his primary obligations to his bosses, the shareholders to ensure organisational profitability and to maximise shareholder value including the share price.

The transfer budget was altered when we fell out of contention for the CL spots -- something that would have added at least 50million quid in cash to the kitty -- you can understand why a few million here or there would matter vis a vis Woodward's primary fiduciary obligations. So if you are not careful how you spend the millions, our share price would be affected.

How we wasted millions on useless buys or contract extensions is another matter.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
The only one there that plays in a high line is Pique. Maguire does not. Neither do Spurs really.
Well if Spurs don't play highline then in Europe only Barca and City plays highline. So we have nothing to worry if we sign Maguire as we won't be pushing the defensive line higher than Spurs do.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
By who? Leicester fans. Or in their home leagues...neither have done anything to suggest they are highly rated, irrc, Soyuncu was rather calamitous when he played.

Anyone looking at Leicester's team will say there a major weak spot next to Maguire. You portray Leicester as having money to spend, but why dont they address this very clear problem and get the standard up. Evans is decent but hes never been or had potential to be world class. Chilwell, Maguire and Pereira all have the ability to reach that level one day.
By Leicester fans on their old league by the clubs and by the other clubs who were chasing them when we got them.

There is no weakness next to Maguire, behind him yes but not next to him

starman

By Leicester fans on their old league by the clubs and by the other clubs who were chasing them when we got them.

There is no weakness next to Maguire, behind him yes but not next to him
If Leicester really wasn't entertaining the idea of selling, didnt need the money and had plenty themselves, they should be all over Zouma, who would be a good partner for Maguire, being a good all round defender and with the athleticism he has to cover him.

AR87

My feeling is there's a general fee agreed to right now, but not an overall structure to it. We want 60+20 and Leicester want to ensure the guaranteed amount ensures a world record fee. Would be surprised if this doesn't get done before the end of the window.

RkkMan

Personally, I don't think Matic has been nearly as bad as gets made out. Part of the problem we've had with defence has been such an unsettled back line. Having 2 established defenders as first choice along with De Gea, giving them the games to build understanding and cohesion between each other and being comfortable receiving and playing the ball would be huge. I'm also not sure what midfielders instantly improve us, that would want to come and are attainable.
He's extremely slow nowadays at covering ground and in his turns, takes too many touches on the ball instead of releasing it quickly and bang average ball playing ability all this at 31 he ain't gonna get better having him as a starter next season will be as big a disaster as having Phil Jones starting at CB

croadyman

My feeling is there's a general fee agreed to right now, but not an overall structure to it. We want 60+20 and Leicester want to ensure the guaranteed amount ensures a world record fee. Would be surprised if this doesn't get done before the end of the window.
This transfer definitely has echoes of Wan Bissaka with the way that Castles has jumped the gun again.

WPMUFC

Leicester City boss Brendan Rodgers says the club's valuation of defender Harry Maguire has not been met, following a £70m bid by Manchester United earlier in July.
If he was asked only about the 70m bid and the rumours of 60+20 are legit, seems obvious why rodgers said that. If they rejected 60+20 i'd think we'd walk away like longstaff.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Based on the WC last year I would rather let MC buy Maguire and we by Stones. That would suit all parties. Lindelof and Stones would be the best ball handling CB pair in the league. Defensively they would be good, offensively they could be great.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Based on the WC last year I would rather let MC buy Maguire and we by Stones. That would suit all parties. Lindelof and Stones would be the best ball handling CB pair in the league. Defensively they would be good, offensively they could be great.
Are you serious?

RickG19

Just pay what they want, 22days to window closes.
That's why you are posting on a forum and aren't in charge of financial deals for a billion pound organisation."Just pay what they want"... why? Because you are getting a bit bored on your summer holidays? or because Mark Goldbridge said so?

There is 22 days and so we will play the game like everyone else. We want the best players for the best prices. None of these players will suffer too much if they miss some friendlies against Perth and Leeds.

Let's not become the mugs of the transfer market by paying over the odds. We can't have all the players we want, when we want. It just doesn't work like that.

Since when did United fans become so spolit? We are moving into Arsenal territory.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
What about last years WC could possibly bring you to that conclusion? Harry was far (far) better than Stones in that competition! :wenger:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Wowzers.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
If the rumours of £80m are true and Leicester have an even higher valuation then that, we should be walking away.

However, that depends on how well we are executing our transfer window. If we are doing things properly, we would have alternatives and have already explored a potential transfer for them and so would now just need to ramp up the process to sign them.

On the other hand, if we have not done that and have no alternatives, we are pretty stumped if we want to upgrade CB and may end up increasing our offer to get it done, unless we would rather go into the season with our current CBs.

Ifs and buts.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Where da white text cuh?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Great idea, let our rivals buy the player that would improve us and instead us buy a player that doesn’t.

Patrick08

We have said from the start we do not want nor need to sell.
If Leicester don't want to sell, they would reject pretty much any bid weather it's 70m or a 100 m plus.

Clearly the player seems to have his head turned and Leicester are trying to fleece as much as they can by portraying a stubborn position on this quoting world record fee. I expect heavy addones with this one reaching a fee on half way on clubs valuation differences.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Woodward, tbf has to manage the financials and therefore manage or have constraints on the transfer budgets.
that, I understand but you would think that United when bidding for a player would know the exact maximum they are prepared to go for and offer that maximum amount in good enough time to allow your manager to integrate the new player into the squad. If you were City or Liverpool then that wouldn't be that important but we need to hit the ground running.

If Leicester want £ 80m then either we just pay it and bag the player or we move on to other targets

Judas

Open to offers
Genuinely baffled how people would want us to walk away, if we walk away we’ll sign no one for the defence I’d expect. Squabbling over a few million is daft when it could be the difference between having a good season or another disastrous one.

Zed 101

The alternative way to look at the Maguire fee is feck it if we genuinely want him then, flex our considerable financial muscles, send out a statement of intent, we are Utd, we are the biggest brand in world football, sure the fee is high but it is nothing to us, start making some waves, show dominance right now the message going out is confused and a touch directionless, given the past woeful performances by Woodward it is hardly inspiring becfore a new season

Hughes35

Yea so speed is not a big issue is you are parking the bus. If you control the game and play a high line, then you need speed.
This just isn't the case at all. John Terry was "Slow", Vidic not the quickest, Pique was slow without speech marks. Lots of great defenders have not been the quickest and played in teams that do not park the bus.

Patrick08

This just isn't the case at all. John Terry was "Slow", Vidic not the quickest, Pique was slow without speech marks. Lots of great defenders have not been the quickest and played in teams that do not park the bus.
One on one ability also is a quality that matters.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Genuinely baffled how people would want us to walk away, if we walk away we’ll sign no one for the defence I’d expect. Squabbling over a few million is daft when it could be the difference between having a good season or another disastrous one.
Do you really think that getting Maguire is enough to have a good season? Hes hardly better than Smalling.

Spend the budget on 2 cms and a right winger.

Eric's Seagull

The alternative way to look at the Maguire fee is feck it if we genuinely want him then, flex our considerable financial muscles, send out a statement of intent, we are Utd, we are the biggest brand in world football, sure the fee is high but it is nothing to us, start making some waves, show dominance right now the message going out is confused and a touch directionless, given the past woeful performances by Woodward it is hardly inspiring becfore a new season
Good attitude to have. Nice to see a positive spin on the situation mate.

Eric's Seagull

Do you really think that getting Maguire is enough to have a good season? Hes hardly better than Smalling.

Totally agree with you on the part in bold which I would also have liked in addition to a centre-back whether it was Maguire or someone else was a must due to Rojo and Jones being sick-notes and Bailly being erratic. Leaving us with potentially Smalling and Lindelof as our two main centre-halves and one injury away from trouble. Rojo and Jones should both be gone due to spending so much time on the injury table in my opinion. We can't expect Wan Bissaka to cover our defensive deficiencies on his own mate.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting

I can't wait to see you eat these words. I mean, if you said Maguire isn't great, or he doesn't quite do it for you then fine.

But to exaggerate like that to make a point is just crazy. He's better by a country mile. Which is sad, 'cause I actually like Smalling.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I can't wait to see you eat these words. I mean, if you said Maguire isn't great, or he doesn't quite do it for you then fine.

But to exaggerate like that to make a point is just crazy. He's better by a country mile. Which is sad, 'cause I actually like Smalling.
I think people underestimate Smalling
And yes, while not great, Maguire is better than what we currently have. With a world record fee for a defender we are not buying a world class center back, are we?

Status
Not open for further replies.