Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
80 mil.. Hmm say he stays 6 years. Thats about 17mil per year for a good CB. We are united and sponsors pay us tonnes and we generate tonnes and we always charged differently. Get behind the lad.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
What’s the chances of him playing against Milan tomorrow? Little and none?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Well done Ed & Ole.. Great signing, can see him having a Bruce or Pallister type impact.

Don't care about the fee. Also shows that board will invest.

Much more confident about next season.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
We sure overpaid for him but I’m glad to see him in a United shirt. Defence needed sorting.

Worthington

Supports
Leicester
Leicester fan here.... congratulations on your signing but my god that is a lot of money. The other half of my family are United fans and I have just said to them that I don't think he is as good defensively as people realise. Don't get me wrong, he is fantastic on the ball but he has his flaws.

Skills

Snitch
Evans is a better defender than Maguire, Maguire is better on the ball similar threat from set pieces.
This is based on last seasons performances.
Evans was a bang average defender. Couldn't head a ball for one.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
WOW! I cannot believe this.

1 hour ago Caf was all about just pay the money.

Now that is agreed, fans on here are saying he is not good enough.

Ffs, just be positive for once.
My favorite thing are fans that are literally raining on the parade before the player has even set food at Old Trafford. Just what's the point in the rampant negativity?

What everyone shouild be over the moon about is: The board actually backing the manager. This is our biggest net spend (SO FAR!) in club history. The board has never backed a manager with as much money as they have this transfer window. We've had more players coming in, but the money exchanged has never been bigger.

And by all accounts we are not done yet.

So be positive?

El Zoido

He’s an upgrade over what we’ve already got, couldn’t care less about the fee.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Time to clean out some of the Leicester fans now. They've had their fun.

romufc

Finally a balanced look to the back 4. A LCB who is comfortable in that position.

prateik

This also means Lindelof gets to play on the right, where he is much better.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
The fee we paid for Van Dijk was ridiculous at the time. He wasn't considered anywhere close to the level he's at now and definitely not world class.

I'm not saying Maguire will reach those levels, but the fee is relative to the requirements of the team buying that player. We desperately needed a CB and a GK, so paid world record fees for both. United desperately need a CB who will be an improvement on what they have, so they paid a world record fee to get the player they feel will be that defender for them.
Well said, Klippity

Robertd0803

Woohooo. Delighted its sorted. Couldnt care less about the fee considering we needed a top central defender and we have got one.

Decomposing In Paris

Being honest, I'd be more excited by Koulibaly or De Ligt, but Maguire just feels like a good fit. I don't care about the fee so long as he performs.

Dybala for Lukaku and a hard working central midfielder would certainly give us some cause for optimism next season.

Lindelof-Maguire is good on paper, but I will not be surprised if we see Smalling or Bailly (when he's fit) pushing to be his partner this season.

IAN HEALY

Surely we had 85m for him on the first day of the window, are they doing the cheap thing again and not paying the fee til the end of the window, thus saving wages during the summer ?

Was there really any need to delay this deal given the fact the player has been playing in same league against us for last few years so he didn't need scouting. we could have had this wrapped up weeks ago and be onto sorting the centre of midfield and striker options.

As encouraging as this deal is, of all the deals we do this summer nothing will come close to euphoria that will accompany the sale of Smalling and Jones.

romufc

My favorite thing are fans that are literally raining on the parade before the player has even set food at Old Trafford. Just what's the point in the rampant negativity?

What everyone shouild be over the moon about is: The board actually backing the manager. This is our biggest net spend (SO FAR!) in club history. The board has never backed a manager with as much money as they have this transfer window. We've had more players coming in, but the money exchanged has never been bigger.

And by all accounts we are not done yet.

So be positive?

That is my point, we needed a CB and we got one that fits the manager's requirements. Fans might have different opinions but they don't manage the team. Ole wants Maguire, so we got him.

We do need to get rid of rojo, Darmian and one other.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Exactly. £80m upgrade should be a Van Dijk level step up. Just don’t think Maguire is.
Easier said than done. VVD just had the best season any defender has had since Rio's 07/08, and is quite likely going to maintain that level. As annoying as it is to admit it, there very likely isn't another defender on the planet who is capable of that much of a step up. Maybe De Ligt in a few years if he continues improving, but not right now.

As such we need to get rid of the VVD comparisons and be realistic otherwise it's only going to feed negativity about the club. Doesn't do us fans or the club any favours. Look at the positives - he should be a large improvement and will help the club start moving back the right way.

Adamsk7

Think he’s the best defender we could have bought. Don’t get what everyone sees in Koulibaly and he would have cost us more.

Maguire is one of the best ball playing defenders in the league and is arguably the best header of the ball in the whole of the Premiership, defender or attacker. He’s a leader, he’s a good age, he’s home grown and he has scope to improve. Quality

Suv666

Great signing. Dont give a shit about the fees. AWB Maguire Lindeloff and Shaw is a solid backline. Add a CDM next season and it'll be a potentially title winning unit.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Do think we need some pace beside him if we're going to play a pressing game and squeeze a high line. Tuanzabe or Smalling ahead of Lindelof for me.

Has all the other attributes.

mu4c_20le

Easier said than done. VVD just had the best season any defender has had since Rio's 07/08, and is quite likely going to maintain that level. As annoying as it is to admit it, there very likely isn't another defender on the planet who is capable of that much of a step up. Maybe De Ligt in a few years if he continues improving, but not right now.

As such we need to get rid of the VVD comparisons and be realistic otherwise it's only going to feed negativity about the club. Doesn't do us fans or the club any favours. Look at the positives - he should be a large improvement and will help the club start moving back the right way.
Everyone is fixated on the fact that Maguire is an improvement over all our CBs. While that is probably true, people are forgetting that he has no European experience. Like, none at all. Even VVD played in the CL for Celtic way back, and that probably helped him in his Southampton days. So the jury is still out for him. Thats why a record fee wasn't the greatest deal, like at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.