Hating Lingard

Oscie

I agree. He's a player at the lower end of decent, always has been. His stats are terrible, his final ball is non existent, he doesnt provide enough quality. There is one moment of brilliance here and there, but that's about it. But at the end of the day, he's a squad player and as long as he's treated as one, I dont have a problem with him
Precisely. Not sure many people do have a problem with him being a squad player/rotation option.

The rule seems to be that unless you pretend that all those times he steps onto the pitch and 90 minutes later steps off without anyone really noticing he was there don't exist - you're a "hater".

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I dunno, he's nothing spectacular and those video's he makes are really annoying, but he's usefull sometimes. He looks like a funny chap too, I can tolerate him :)

Coops73

I don’t mind him, I reckon he offers more to the team than just what he produces on the pitch, like coming up with weird hand shakes and the like, those have got be worth 10k on their own, if people really have an issue with his 100k a week salary just give him Harry Potters sock and he’ll be happy.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
1) Most people didn't get concept of squad player.
2) Our fans has problem with his 100K reported salary.
3) His Instagram videos, lots of fans have problem with that.
Which is equal parts incredible/moronic. What to do when you don’t like someone’s Instagram videos? If only the app designers included a feature which allowed you to take them off your feed...

doomy20

The thing with him for me is, if he would be like really good beating defenders, providing goals, deciding matches i would absolutely love his way of acting (the social media crap, the dances, the smiling on the pitch and so on) but if he is just playing average, like most of the time, he is just so anoying. Yesterday was good though.

fellaini's barber

I know I was quoted in the OP. But the goal he had, as sad as it is to say it, will pretty much keep him afloat for another string of bad performances, until he scores again, thus continuing the cycle over and over. I know we're all thinking it...
Yep, was the same with Rooney for 3 years or so, 3-4 good games per season seems to be enough to justify Lingard being in the team for most. And then we wonder we're so far behind the elite teams

settembrini

He would be rated a lot higher if he was given more games in the #10 role. That's his best position, although he has also had some good games on the left, he has rarely performed well on the right despite playing the majority of his games there.

edgar allan

He played really well last night and created his goal really well. He was also very good in the cup game earlier in the year, put in a fantastic cross for a Ibra header last year and scored a couple of important Wembley goals a couple of years ago.
He obviously has talent and workrate but little consistency of performance.

Is he likely to push on and show that level of performance more regularly now? He hasn't before.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Bollocks. Every player gets criticism. Problem is nobody goes all 'protective mother hen' every time someone points out Herrera's played shite. Lingard's performances are routinely poor and people's assessments reflect that.

More honest an opinion than the apparent contrast of 'He scored a worldie!! ALL CRITICISM IS NOW VOID!!', or whitewashing his poor performances by constantly pointing out that other players also may have played badly - which is an absolute constant every time someone in that thread has the nerve to point out Lingard didn't play well.
Get this into your head.. I have no problem with constructive criticism. What I have a problem with is people saying things like he’s a championship level player or he should be replaced by a player from the youth team who has never been near the first team. That’s complete bollox

Secondly if I or someone else wants to start a thread supporting a player we can do so.

golden_blunder

Staff
I don't hate him, but I don't like the player to be honest.

He's basically paid 100K/w and delivers too rarely.

He's not a young player anymore and we shouldn't be too complacent with our players because they're English or from Manchester.

I mean, he provides little over a season to be praised. He as flashed here and there but overall this season's contribution is still poor. Just remember Basel away when he was just running that's not enough.

If he plays against Arsenal, which is very possible, and shines, then fine, I'll start saying that he provided something to the team because this is a big game, type of game where we are playing utterly sh** and still 8 points behind Chiiteh so massive in terms of confidence. So if Lingard makes us win this important game fair (like the FA Cup Final and his goal).

But I won't revised my judgment after only one very good performance. It's not enough for a Manchester United player. That's being demanding
This thread was created before the Watford game, in response to what I feel is over the top criticism

The fact he played well is just a bonus

golden_blunder

Staff
Yep, was the same with Rooney for 3 years or so, 3-4 good games per season seems to be enough to justify Lingard being in the team for most. And then we wonder we're so far behind the elite teams
So far behind (8 points)?
It’s not the fault of squad players, it’s the fault of successive bollox coaches taking us backwards and not improving the areas of the first team that a blind man could identify

Pacificgi

He gets alot of unjustified hate considering hes a player who doesnt start every game. He gave us pace in the middle last night and didnt give watford a minutes rest.

We were much better as a team with him there tonight as the balance was right. If we shoved rashford into that line up instead of him, we would have looked disjointed.

Reactions: golden_blunder

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Don't mind him, he's bang average but a good squad player, shouldn't be a starter. The only issue i have is with him are the wages he's on, plenty of much better players around on much less.

Last edited:

JoaquinJoaquin

Why the feck does the pendulum need to swing so far in each direction after his performances?

He's now the best finisher we have in the squad, an automatic starter at the weekend and the best option for no. 10 for us. If he performs poorly against Arsenal, he's back on everyones transfer list in January.

This places boggles the mind sometimes. Is there no middle ground here?
He won the Balon D'or last night, did you not see it?

Totally agree with your post. I am one who can be quite harsh on Lingard but I feel it is often justified. He was really good last night though, so let's see how he goes against Arsenal. Got a feeling this already stupid thread could look daft after that game if Lingard plays poor.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
10 bad games, first good game and then this thread. And all the posts about how people were wrong, etc...Bloody hell.
To op; he is championship player, has been , is and will be. Not near man utd level. Invisible in 9 of 10 games in which he plays.
Obertan had flashes, jordy cruyf had flashes, bellion had flashes so one or two good games can't change the fact that player is just not good enough.

JoaquinJoaquin

The funny thing is, some people think it makes them more of a T0p Red if they defend Lingard to the hilt which is pathetic.

edgar allan

He's English. That's enough for some on here
I don't think that has a bearing at all....Rashford is English.
Fellaini is Belgian but I don't think that contributed to the criticism he got and I don't sense any growing hostility to Armenians as a nationality of late.

Reactions: Akshay

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Watford last night was probably his best performance for us -- yet he still missed a sitter. He needs to create more and certainly score more to convince me

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I loved him when he scored that goal, but then he did that stupid celebration and I hated him again. not really

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
10 bad games, first good game and then this thread. And all the posts about how people were wrong, etc...Bloody hell.
To op; he is championship player, has been , is and will be. Not near man utd level. Invisible in 9 of 10 games in which he plays.
Obertan had flashes, jordy cruyf had flashes, bellion had flashes so one or two good games can't change the fact that player is just not good enough.
That was his second league start of this season but carry on...

Four goals and four assists so far, in all competions (six starts in total). Let’s just hope he keeps these “flashes” up.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
1 - is stupidity
2 - is jealousy
3 - is a mixture of both, considering nobody is forced to watch his videos.

Kylar Stern

I think he's a decent squad player, capable of putting in a good performance every now and then and regularly stands up to be counted in the bigger games - scoring in the FA Cup Final, Europa Final and the Community Shield in recent years.

More importantly, he seems to fit in well with the team, and I suspect would be quite fun for the team to have in the dressing room which is a benefit in itself.

He's not a world beater and probably never will be, but decent squad players that are happy with their role aren't always easy to come by, and as much as it's been mocked in this thread being local should carry some importance for the fans, however small.

Viral United

The funny thing is, some people think it makes them more of a T0p Red if they defend Lingard to the hilt which is pathetic.
Well OP clearly said that he dont have problem with constructive criticism, but has issue with comment like 'he is championship player', which I also think it's OTT.
I don't think its TopRed issue.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Nobody in the world could have scored a goal like the one he did last night.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
There’s a player in there he just needs to show it on a consistent basis. I’d keep him in the team for a few games see what happens. Mata and Mkhitaryan are useless right now anyway.

Darkhorsez

Ha ha - so true! That’s an excellent post. I’ve always been fairly neutral on him. Think he gives us additional option especially with his speed and work rate.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
You completely sum up our internet warrior fan base.
Lingard is definitely a internet warrior scapegoat, we have a few in our squad that people love to hate.

As far as i'm concerned; anyone who hates any of our players is immature & pathetic, sorry.

JoaquinJoaquin

Well OP clearly said that he dont have problem with constructive criticism, but has issue with comment like 'he is championship player', which I also think it's OTT.
I don't think its TopRed issue.
I'm not talking about OP though. I think it is a bit of a case of TopRed thing with Lingard, In fact I know of people who do that. It's bizarre.

In regards to the forum and Lingard, I think some of the criticism does go overboard, but at the same time alot of the praise goes overboard to. Fact of the matter is, He has been poor in alot more games then he has been good, so by laws of average some would say he shouldn't be at the club. My personal opinion is that I don't think at present he doesn't do enough to deserve the amount of games and high wages he gets, But then he does things like last night that make me sit back and think 'wow he is actually a pretty good footballer when he is locked in and focused'. Problem is he will do something like last night then go through a spell of 6-7 terrible games and he will find himself back out of the team. Rinse and repeat. This is arguably the best chance he has now to make a mark when we have Arsenal, City and a crucial CL game coming up. I hope he takes it because we are in dying need for the creativity.

NoLogo

Very good points. I think as a squad player he is as good as it gets. A player who would be a starter for any team outside the big 6 imo should count as a good squad player for us and I'm pretty sure he would be a nailed on starter for almost any team outside the big 6.

Viral United

I'm not talking about OP though. I think it is a bit of a case of TopRed thing with Lingard, In fact I know of people who do that. It's bizarre.

In regards to the forum and Lingard, I think some of the criticism does go overboard, but at the same time alot of the praise goes overboard to. Fact of the matter is, He has been poor in alot more games then he has been good, so by laws of average some would say he shouldn't be at the club. My personal opinion is that I don't think at present he doesn't do enough to deserve the amount of games and high wages he gets, But then he does things like last night that make me sit back and think 'wow he is actually a pretty good footballer when he is locked in and focused'. Problem is he will do something like last night then go through a spell of 6-7 terrible games and he will find himself back out of the team. Rinse and repeat. This is arguably the best chance he has now to make a mark when we have Arsenal, City and a crucial CL game coming up. I hope he takes it because we are in dying need for the creativity.
That's completely true, it's more like 'I told you so' posts.
I thought you are talking about OP so my apology to you.

Mr PG

The guy is just not very good, let's be honest.
Jesse Lingard of all people must be the only player JM favours and plays when not deserving...think about that for a minute. Mou must hate Shaw (a player he tried to buy for chelsea)..Martial, Miktaryan...blah...blah blah. That's fan logic for you. People just cannot bring themselves to admit (especially when their favorite players aren't played) Mourinho is as fair and ruthless as Managers come. Everybody and I mean everybody has to earn their place. Jesse has something many players lack and that is Cojones.

golden_blunder

Staff
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

To say he’s not united level is fair enough but to insinuate he couldn’t play for some other PL team is just complete bollox

You are the epitome of why this thread came about, throwing bollock statements around

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I loved him when he scored that goal, but then he did that stupid celebration and I hated him again. not really
:lol:

Are you me?

I think he has his uses, but he just annoys me. I'm getting old.

*Edit* ok you're not. Crap.