Henderson / Gabriel incident no longer being investigated by FA

CloneMC16

The ref going to speak to both managers is the biggest suggestion that something bad has been said. When does this ever happen? Then again, if something racist was said, I would have expected way more to have come of this already. Gabriel hasn't said anything.

If he said this after being told there's alleged racism, he should be fired :

He has more common sense than that.
Zero chance he said this if something racist was said. I refuse to believe it. He can't be that much of a cnut. Especially when it happened to his player.

Last edited:

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I mean, all they'd have to do is spin around and say "done" really ..
He should hire me as his lawyer :lol:

Telling a foreigner to feck off back to their own country is definitely incredibly problematic. It’s implying that they have no right to be here because of their nationality.

And yes you could say nationality is not a race, and you’d be right. Telling a white personal from Eastern Europe to go back home wouldn’t essentially be racist, but Xenophobic. But racism is now kind of a catch all term for all forms of bigotry based on ethnicity and citizenship. So if your issue is pure semantics then whatever, still bloody annoying of you. But if it’s purely you not seeing an issue with telling someone to go back to their own country, then you may need to do some reading.
Yeah, but im not wrong in this instance and I already made the distinction between what is actually racist and something that although xenophobic is not actually racist and although I abhor racism in this instance it may not be that the Liverpool player wasn’t racist as such and maybe just a xenophobic a*hole?

macheda14

He should hire me as his lawyer :lol:

Yeah, but im not wrong in this instance and I already made the distinction between what is actually racist and something that although xenophobic is not actually racist and although I abhor racism in this instance it may not be that the Liverpool player wasn’t racist as such and maybe just a xenophobic a*hole?
Yes but it’s such an odd thing to argue about. The only person I’ve seen argue against it with as much commitment as you was Tommy Robinson when he was called a racist for espousing islamaphobic hate speech.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Yes but it’s such an odd thing to argue about. The only person I’ve seen argue against it with as much commitment as you was Tommy Robinson when he was called a racist for espousing islamaphobic hate speech.
:lol:

Put up a few posts and that was me arguing against it with such commitment?

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Have any of you seen Gabriel's interviews? It looks like he can barely speak the language or understand it properly. I have a feeling that this might be a similar one to what happened in our game against you years back where Mark Clattenburg had an absolute shocking game and was after accused of using racist language overheard by Ramires (who like Gabriel has a limited grasp of the language). Hopefully it's just not one person's word against another and the incident was picked up by pitchside mics or cameras so we can get to the bottom of this.

IceManFtw

It 100% wasn’t racist. Arteta would never say ‘what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch’’ if it was

it sounds like he’s trying to brush it under the carpet if anything, most likely about the rape allegation to his player

Loon

:lol:
I'm surprised neither one has gone to the press with their side yet. Even on the sly.

pauldyson1uk

To be honest, I always wonder why they make so much of these things before an investigation is done e.g. the pundits telling everyone about it being referred. I think they shouldn't say anything until the FA investigates it - if they find anything, then they can say it and stop all the speculation and judgements before anything has been found.

An accusation alone (even the type of accusation doesn't need to be known, as in this case) is enough for some people to make up their minds.
They should not report it, who is they ?
Sky Sports are not mentioning it, there is no mention of it on their Football page or BBC, that I can find without digging.
So the very thing you want them to do, they are doing it, letts the FA sort it.

shaky

It 100% wasn’t racist. Arteta would never say ‘what happens on the pitch stays on the pitch’’ if it was

it sounds like he’s trying to brush it under the carpet if anything, most likely about the rape allegation to his player
Saying "100% wasn't racist" is as dumb as saying it was 100% racist. You know as little as the rest of us and are speculating based on one single comment by Arteta, who might well just have said it as a way of saying he wouldn't be discussing the incident any further at that particular time.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Arteta's comments on the allegation for his own player was pretty shameful, it wouldn't totally surprise me to see him lessen the blow of anything said during the game.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Arteta's comments on the allegation for his own player was pretty shameful, it wouldn't totally surprise me to see him lessen the blow of anything said during the game.
Yeah, we don't know what was said but it was clearly something bad due to the reactions, as the referee went to tell the managers about the incident and because there's an investigation. To say it should stay on the pitch when it's as bad as that is pretty rank.

norm87cro

It could not have happend to a couple of worst twats. Hope they are both fined and miss out 2 or 3 games aldo in Hendersons case it would help the Dippers so Im kind of hesitant on that one

Brophs

The One and Only
I may be misunderstanding what he intended but my reading on that was that he’s saying “I won’t speak about that or break the confidence of my player. It’s between the players on the pitch and until properly investigated will stay that way”.

Perhaps that’s too generous, though.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Pretty clear that Gabriel thinks Henderson has said something way out of line. Both managers declined to comment and the FA are looking into it.

You can clearly make out henderson say “no he is”

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
wouldn’t be surprising of a Pep disciple to think nothing of a bit or casual racism
Wouldn't be surprising of a football fan to spout unfounded nonsense about Pep being racist

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
If he said this after being told there's alleged racism, he should be fired :

He has more common sense than that.
He talked about "what Partey has been through lately" the other week, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if his attitude toward racist abuse was "no big deal, leave it on the pitch". Guy's an idiot.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
"I'm not a racist, I'm a xenophobe" isn't any sort of improvement.
Nobody is saying it's an improvement but, for the purposes of understanding the incident properly, it's still a distinction worth making. If you reverse it, say if Henderson called a black British player a racial slur, that's not xenophobic. There's nothing wrong with arguing that the two words shouldn't be interchangeable.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
All we know is he defended Bernardo’s racist tweet without a problem
'Bernardo's racist tweet' makes it sound like Bernardo called Mendy the N word, when in reality he posted an image of a popular Portuguese cartoon character that he thought looked a bit like Mendy, without thinking properly (or even knowing much) about how that action would be perceived in our culture. In England it's inconceivable that an adult wouldn't know that image is racist but it's easy to believe that someone who grew up in a culture where that character is in supermarket aisles would genuinely not understand why or how it's offensive. The vilification of Bernardo after he did that was very over-the-top and, while Pep never said there was nothing wrong with the photo, he was right to defend his player from abuse that was really based on tribalism and a desire to see a rival player get in trouble. Nobody actually believed Bernardo was racist based on that.

Pep's track record on actual racist abuse (and surely we can agree that Bernardo's shortsighted joke doesn't count as racist abuse, whatever you think of it) is perfectly solid.

A lot of the public image of Pep being racist comes from Yaya Toure's accusations, which he's since apologized for and withdrawn.

Calling Pep racist in (let's be honest) the name of club rivalry tribalism is extremely counterproductive when football is trying to deal with a huge racism problem.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Henderson has a very thick Sunderland accent, he could be saying anything.
I can imagine Hendo in court trying to answer the inevitable "making rude comments on the pitch" charge that comes his way in a few months.

"eeet's me acceent like, ahhh was reeeallly jahst sayeeng hello"

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Nobody is saying it's an improvement but, for the purposes of understanding the incident properly, it's still a distinction worth making. If you reverse it, say if Henderson called a black British player a racial slur, that's not xenophobic. There's nothing wrong with arguing that the two words shouldn't be interchangeable.

If we're talking about an accusation of someone saying "go back home", the distinction is pretty much irrelevant and also a distraction.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
"I'm not a racist, I'm a xenophobe" isn't any sort of improvement.
I'd imagine a massive amount of people are the latter, from the sort of comments you see bandied about in football tournaments.

Silas

People (elsewhere) are speculating that Henderson said something to Partey (not Gabriel) as he (Partey) was passing by. Gabriel obviously heard it, though, as he was standing right in front of Henderson.

It also looks (so they say - I'm not sure myself) as though Henderson says "he is" repeatedly to Gabriel.

The theory being (obviously) that Henderson called Partey a rapist and that Gabriel reacted to this, saying something like "you can't call him that", whereupon Henderson stated (repeatedly): "he is".

It's not a flawless theory in my opinion, but not entirely outlandish either.
Hmm yeah this could be it. Some people are saying they saw Gabriel pinching his skin (to convey that it was a comment on race?), though. Haven’t seen the clip myself.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Wouldn't be surprising of a football fan to spout unfounded nonsense about Pep being racist
He talked about "what Partey has been through lately" the other week, it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if his attitude toward racist abuse was "no big deal, leave it on the pitch". Guy's an idiot.
Literally back to back posts.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
If we're talking about an accusation of someone saying "go back home", the distinction is pretty much irrelevant and also a distraction.
Are we though? That's no more than a theory of what might have been said, with little to no evidence. Just a guess.

The difference between the N word and a sentence like 'typical Brazilian', however, is enormous.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Literally back to back posts.
Next time Pep takes a player in Partey's situation and frames it as if they're the victim, you might have a point. But Pep's never done anything of the sort so I'm not even sure why he's being dragged into this argument.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Are we though? That's no more than a theory of what might have been said, with little to no evidence. Just a guess.

The difference between the N word and a sentence like 'typical Brazilian', however, is enormous.
Of course there's a difference, it's a spectrum. But one thing being shittier doesn't mean both things aren't shitty.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Next time Pep takes a player in Partey's situation and frames it as if they're the victim, you might have a point. But Pep's never done anything of the sort so I'm not even sure why he's being dragged into this argument.
For a person who is so concerned about unfounded nonsense allegations, you sure like to dabble in it when it isn't about Pep.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Toure also has something to say about Pep and racism didn’t he?
Toure is a pretty horrible person, and later withdrew and apologised for his allegations about Pep anyway. It's extremely weird to take those allegations seriously and disregard the dozens of black players with which Pep has worked completely undisturbed.

For a person who is so concerned about unfounded nonsense allegations, you sure like to dabble in it when it isn't about Pep.
Unfounded nonsense? Really? You need to read up on them a bit more if you think they're in any way comparable to the allegations about Pep, which literally don't have a single shred of credibility.

TheReligion

Abusive
Toure is a pretty horrible person, and later withdrew and apologised for his allegations about Pep anyway.

Unfounded nonsense? Really? You need to read up on them a bit more if you think they're in any way comparable to the allegations about Pep, which literally don't have a single shred of credibility.
Why did he put a curse on Pep then?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I don't give a shit about Pep, but unless you have evidence that Arteta was clearly referring to the allegations against Partey, then I'm afraid you're doing the very thing you claim to be upset about.