Film Horror Films

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
The Descent is pretty good. Just don't watch the second one as it ruins the first.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The Witch is still the best thing thing I've seen this year so there. The joys of Hawthorne without the hassle of having to read all those bloody words.

Can definitely see The Ring in The Changeling but also The Others, The Cunjuring, The Orphanage and the writings of Susan Hill. They may all have their genesis in something like The Innocents/Turn of The Screw but The Changeling is one of those largely unsung films, whose tentacles of influence reach far and wide.

Speaking of Susan Hill, I thought The Woman in Black with Harry Potter was crap. Remove the creeping melancholy, throw in bangs and jump scares, use a big name rather than a proper actor and you have yourself a modern horror master piece of shit. Jane Goldman you can write so why would you do that to the ending?

Dead of Night is an oldie that still packs a punch. The BBC MR James stuff holds up too.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Going for the classic "Night of the Creeps" tonight.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091630/?ref_=tt_rec_tti

Alien brain parasites, entering humans through the mouth, turn their host into a killing zombie. Some teenagers start to fight against them.

What a glorious plot.

A favourite of mine. I saw it when it came out at a cinema in Leicester Square and have watched it every year since. I have a T-shirt with Tom Atkins and 'Thrill Me' on it.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Anything recommended on (UK) Netflix that I could watch tonight?

My internet atm's not good enough to download anything.

Nickosaur

Anything recommended on (UK) Netflix that I could watch tonight?

My internet atm's not good enough to download anything.
I sifted through Netflix looking for horror films. Really poor selection - most of the better ones I've seen, the rest are cheap shit. There are hardly any 'classics' there either - I would have happily re-watched Alien/s, The Thing, Poltergeist, The Fly, Halloween etc.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
REC's one I've missed. Worth a watch?

LOVE The Howling! Belongs in the same conversation as American Werewolf and Shaun of the Dead. "How do you want your steak honey? "Rare."
Best werewolf movie for me. Best transformation scene ever, best mix of comedy with horror, best lines, best homage to the genre with numerous Easter eggs embedded.

AAWIL is great too, both released in 1981. I would thoroughly enjoy someone like Rob Zombie doing a remake on The Howling, as long as we don't get CGI/bad script like The Wolfman.

I enjoyed a few of sequels as well, and who can forget II's end credits. ;)

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I've thought about starting to watch the Freddy's Nightmares series which is mostly the same concept as Tales from the Darkside and Tales from the Crypt. I do love me some Freddy, and this one stars Robert Englund.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094466/?ref_=nv_sr_5

"Freddy, the dream serial-killer, hosts this anthology of stories set in Springwood."

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Are there any decent Halloweens after 3? Yes, I liked Halloween 3.

I saw that Rob Zombie remake and thought it was gash so don't bring up that shite.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
I liked all the Halloweens, obviously the first two are the best by far but the others still each have their good points. Even Busta Rhymes in Resurrection.
Worst one is probably Rob Zombies second one, too many dreamy scenes.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Looking at horror type Films on TV for tonight. Any of these worth a watch?

Stephen King's Needful Things, Devil's Due, Fright Night (1985), Under The Bed, V/H/S, Scream 4, Cant Come Out To Play, The Ghostmaker.

SwansonsTache

spwd

Been waiting ages to see the original The Hills Have Eyes and luckily it's on the horror channel on the 12th November at 10.45pm.;)

Scared the crap out of me as a kid.

Also if you want gore and a laugh don't forget the Peter Jackson masterpiece the mighty Braindead, also the Frighteners is ok too.

SwansonsTache

Not seen it in years but I agree it is a classic.
I am on a 80's horror binge as of late inspired by this thread. The movies was just so much better back then. I think they in many ways was a product of their time, a more naive and trusting time. Nowadays we are all so blasé, we've really seen it all and can hardly be scared or shocked anymore. Also they managed to create that "feeling" back then, in lack of a better word, but surely you'll know what I mean.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Return of the Living Dead is another really good one from 1985

Horror Express (1972) is another fave of mine.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Been waiting ages to see the original The Hills Have Eyes and luckily it's on the horror channel on the 12th November at 10.45pm.;)

Scared the crap out of me as a kid.
Not seen it in yonks. Massively over the top with crucifixion etc...The remake is actually preety good tbf.

The original is excellent much better than the remake.
2 is also very good , 3 yes it completes the trilogy, but it is dreadful, I like Sam Neil but not in this.
The original is defo top 20 material. Found the remake ok, but pointless, adding so little, barring a couple of spooky flashing images. Liev Schreiber is good, but poor film coice on his part.
The second one is so and so, but yeah the last one...Never saw the fourth one with the girl.

pauldyson1uk

Not seen it in yonks. Massively over the top with crucifixion etc...The remake is actually preety good tbf.

The original is defo top 20 material. Found the remake ok, but pointless, adding so little, barring a couple of spooky flashing images. Liev Schreiber is good, but poor film coice on his part.
The second one is so and so, but yeah the last one...Never saw the fourth one with the girl.
I dont count the 4th one , but when I do watch them I have to watch all 3, but the 3rd is such a let down, they had a chance to make it a classic but blew it.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I dont count the 4th one , but when I do watch them I have to watch all 3, but the 3rd is such a let down, they had a chance to make it a classic but blew it.
I seem to remember asking you to confirm that the fourth was not a TV movie rip-off! Sad to see the trilogy peter out like that but shouldn't be allowed to detract from the first one as a genuine classic. Poor old Bugenhagen.