Film Horror Films

caid

I think it's a marmite film. I personally think it's one of the best horror films of the modern era.
I dont get the praise tbh.
It was ok. Production was good but i'd struggle to think of anything else notable about it.

Edit:
Thought the orphanage (and del toro films in general) was a much better movie, though pretty different i guess.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Going to watch the 1982 classic Creepshow tonight, always loved that movie. The sequel is decent as well.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I quite fancy watching lamberto Bava's Demons tonight.

Devil81

I think it's a marmite film. I personally think it's one of the best horror films of the modern era.
I watched the Invitation the other night and found it far superior in ever way.

Obviously, the twist was obvious from the very start but it was still gripping.

SwansonsTache

I watched the Invitation the other night and found it far superior in ever way.

Obviously, the twist was obvious from the very start but it was still gripping.
Yeah, you are hugely overrating that movie.

But if you do love a "talker" and a movie with heavy dialogue then I have a suggestion for you, it is not a horror movie, more a mystery movie, and not one single person which I've recommended this movie to hasn't absolutely loved it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What's with the amount of arthouse-esque horror movies coming out lately?

shabz

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - Not a bad horror film at all, among the supernatural genre i'd say. 6/10

The Girl With All The Gifts -
Post apocalyptic film involves a military base and children. It was better than I expected with some interesting characters. 6.5/10

SwansonsTache

Going to watch "Massacre on aisle 12" tonight. It is a horror comedy b-flick type of thing that has gotten some very favourable genre reviews:

The B-movie horror comedy is one of the hardest genre exercises to pull off. More than any other kind of genre flick, the B-movie horror comedy must fire on all cylinders for the entirety of its runtime. The B-movie horror comedy cannot slow down or slack off for one second. If one joke misses, if one moment of suspense or gore doesn’t hit quite right, the entire movie can be instantly derailed. Massacre on Aisle 12, directed by Jim Klock and William Mark McCullough, is one of the few recent B-movie horror comedies that manages to succeed on every level. There isn’t a wasted moment, an unfunny joke, or bit of horror movie hooey that doesn’t rock. In short, it is B-movie horror comedy perfection.
http://411mania.com/movies/massacre-on-aisle-12-review/

@pauldyson1uk , @Dirty Schwein , this might be a good one for you guys as well.

pauldyson1uk

Going to watch "Massacre on aisle 12" tonight. It is a horror comedy b-flick type of thing that has gotten some very favourable genre reviews:

http://411mania.com/movies/massacre-on-aisle-12-review/

@pauldyson1uk , @Dirty Schwein , this might be a good one for you guys as well.
Just seen this on my d/l site, have to be honest I dont normally go for Comic Horror, but will give it a go.

Just watched the trailer, it looks good.
I want to go to a Santa's Grotto like that and kiss her under the Camel toe :lol:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Seems like a good thread to ask this question.

I'm a bit confused as to what an exploitation film is?

I know it can be an extreme horror film but also a film like reefer madness which seem like 2 very different films.

John_Jensen

Seems like a good thread to ask this question.

I'm a bit confused as to what an exploitation film is?

I know it can be an extreme horror film but also a film like reefer madness which seem like 2 very different films.
An exploitation film is a film which attempts to succeed financially by exploiting current trends, niche genres, or lurid content.

Exploitation films are generally low-quality "B movies".[1] Even so, they sometimes attract critical attention and cult followings.

Genre examples: Slasher films, zombie films, Blaxsploitation, Nunsploitation

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
An exploitation film is a film which attempts to succeed financially by exploiting current trends, niche genres, or lurid content.

Exploitation films are generally low-quality "B movies".[1] Even so, they sometimes attract critical attention and cult followings.

Genre examples: Slasher films, zombie films, Blaxsploitation, Nunsploitation
Thanks, that makes it a bit clearer. How would reefer madness fit into that definition?

John_Jensen

Thanks, that makes it a bit clearer. How would reefer madness fit into that definition?
Well by the standards of 30s/40s America films about premarital sex & people going 'crazy' on recreational drugs would fit in under the banner of 'lurid' i suppose.

caid

Green Room and The Witch come to my mind. I am sure there are more.
Green Room didn't seem all that art house to me really : /

Any others i'd imagine are trying to get in on the popularity of the witch

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah, you are hugely overrating that movie.

But if you do love a "talker" and a movie with heavy dialogue then I have a suggestion for you, it is not a horror movie, more a mystery movie, and not one single person which I've recommended this movie to hasn't absolutely loved it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/
Tried watching that film a year ago and found the acting to be awful. Something about the way the characters spoke was really annoying, can't actually remember what it specifically was.

SwansonsTache

Tried watching that film a year ago and found the acting to be awful. Something about the way the characters spoke was really annoying, can't actually remember what it specifically was.
I loved the way the dialogue was set up. You genuinely got the feel that it was just a bunch of intellectuals trying to make sense of something totally unbelievable.

I think the whole awkwardness of the dialogue was purposeful for conveying how such an audience would react to the story, I mean the guy is claiming he is 30k+ years old and the source for the myth of Jesus, how can you not be a bit perplexed by hearing that?

I especially liked "candyman" (guy from the Candyman horror movies) in the role.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Will probably give it another go at some point. Didn't help that I was watching it with my housemates upon my suggestion after hearing it was good on reddit.

caid

Will probably give it another go at some point. Didn't help that I was watching it with my housemates upon my suggestion after hearing it was good on reddit.
It was an interesting story but the acting was utterly crap
Or maybe it was the dialogue ...

As good a story as it was, it felt like a straight to tv movie in terms of quality.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It was an interesting story but the acting was utterly crap
Or maybe it was the dialogue ...

As good a story as it was, it felt like a straight to tv movie in terms of quality.
Yeah it didn't seem believable in the slightest to me.

caid

Yeah it didn't seem believable in the slightest to me.
Im not sure believable was what they were aiming for ... but if it was a film about people sitting around talking about something trivial
i probably wouldn't have 'bought it' either so i guess thats true

spwd

Anyone seen The Void by director Jeremy Gillespie, got decent reviews on IMDB?

SwansonsTache

I see that one of the major torrent sites has had a giga release of about every Stephen King movie \ mini series ever made tonight. I am thinking about giving "Langoliers" a view for old times sake.

SwansonsTache

Got three classic options for tonight:

Demons (1985)

"A group of people are trapped in a large movie theater in West Berlin that is infected by ravenous demons who proceed to kill and posses the humans one-by-one, thereby multiplying their numbers."

The Beyond (1981)

"A young woman inherits an old hotel in Louisiana where, following a series of supernatural "accidents", she learns that the building was built over one of the entrances to Hell."

Zombie Flesh Eaters (1979)

"Strangers searching for a young woman's missing father arrive at a tropical island where a doctor desperately searches for the cause and cure of a recent epidemic of the undead."

Love all the classics by the old school Italian directors like Fulci, Bava and Argento.

John_Jensen

Demons (1985)

"A group of people are trapped in a large movie theater in West Berlin that is infected by ravenous demons who proceed to kill and posses the humans one-by-one, thereby multiplying their numbers."

The Beyond (1981)

"A young woman inherits an old hotel in Louisiana where, following a series of supernatural "accidents", she learns that the building was built over one of the entrances to Hell."

"Strangers searching for a young woman's missing father arrive at a tropical island where a doctor desperately searches for the cause and cure of a recent epidemic of the undead."

Love all the classics by the old school Italian directors like Fulci, Bava and Argento.

Legendary shark vs zombie fight is the one to go for, all 3 are worth your while.

SwansonsTache

Legendary shark vs zombie fight is the one to go for, all 3 are worth your while.
Yeah, that scene is some of the greatest ever caught on film. Seen a fair few zombie movies lately though so I reckon I might watch "The Beyond" since that is the one I am struggling the most to remember bits and pieces from.

Outside option might be Argento's take on "Phantom of the Opera", but then again that one is more artistic than the three options I've listed above, and I am in the mood for some of that old school gore.

Garethw

Demons (1985)

The Beyond (1981)

You can't go wrong with any of those mate.

Garethw

I watched The autopsy of Jane Doe last night and I highly recommend it.

The last third probably stops it being an instant classic, but it was still absolutely great and very creepy in places.