How is Rooney still in our first 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It was a great header but not a great cross. I go with what Giggs said.
So, performing an action that is directly benefitting your teammate's strength is a bad action? I guess more than half of crosses delivered to Ronaldo are poor going by this logic.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Come on guys I am Rooneys biggest hater but we don't need to denigrate everything he does.

It was a quality cross, my first instinct when I saw him cross it was this is gonna lead to a goal because it hit it perfectly into the danger area with good whip and curl.

His first touch was miles better yesterday.

Is he United quality? Of course not , yesterday's performance was average for a professional footballer but no need to savage him over yesterday's game.

Am sure he'll give us more material to beat him up with fairly soon.
It was a good cross sure, but people using it to defend his performance across 88 minutes is baffling. I find people are just generally happy that Rooney is on the pitch. Aslong as he isn't taking poor touches they are happy. Have we really sunk that low? I wonder if pep took over our team instead of mourinho, would he have lasted? Would have been very interesting...

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I get the dislike surrounding Rooney; I, too, don't want him starting. But I don't understand the criticism around the cross. It was a perfectly fine cross.

psychdelicblues

So, performing an action that is directly benefitting your teammate's strength is a bad action? I guess more than half of crosses delivered to Ronaldo are poor going by this logic.
I never mentioned it was a 'bad action'. I stated it was not a great cross.

Last edited:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
But Giggs said it was "not an average cross." What he was getting at was that he and Becks had to play lower crosses in their day because of the lack of height of the target men and that was a harder skill.

Rooney isn't awful, just not that good any more most of the time. Just the way it is, I'm afraid.

Mister_Stubbs

The cross and he's pass to Zlatan for the penalty were the standout moments in what was again a below average performance. Would like to see Mhki replace him at Hull next weekend.

psychdelicblues

But Giggs said it was "not an average cross." What he was getting at was that he and Becks had to play lower crosses in their day because of the lack of height of the target men and that was a harder skill.

Rooney isn't awful, just not that good any more most of the time. Just the way it is, I'm afraid.
But you can infer from what he said that he didn't think it was a great cross either.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
6 goals against opposition far below PL standard (Derby, Ipswich, Sheffield United, Brugge x3)
4 goals against the bottom five in the league (Sunderland, Bournemouth, Newcastle x2)
2 goals against the remaining bottom half teams (Swansea, Everton)
To make Rooney look good, we need to play Brugge (who were dire) and Newcastle (relegation fodder).
This is why, to be objective, I prefer to look at EPL goals only.
It removes teams like Brugge, Ipswich, Sheffield Utd, etc, from the analysis.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
But you can infer from what he said that he didn't think it was a great cross either.
Not as good as one of Giggs' is what I inferred. So yes. I suppose he meant it was a good high cross but that's easier than a good low cross.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Horrible horrible performance. He absolutely stinks the place up he really does.

Yes he chipped the ball into the box and Ibra turned it into a goal, fantastic.

90 mins of jogging around the pitch at half speed, doing sod all. Without him we are such a more dynamic squad.
Well then you have a horrible, horrible judgement of football.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What he was trying to say was that it's easier to get a successful cross to him, because of his height. IMO
For me, it was a great cross- perfect place, at a height that opposing players can't jump to, and only he can

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
FFS, it was a good cross and of course it was a 'true assist', there's plenty of legitimate cause for complaint with Rooney without having to resort to that kind of bullshit.

Now the pass to Lingard in the CS, that one I'd take issue with being categorised as an assist, but last night's was a good cross and as real as assists come.

I still want him dropped though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Well then you have a horrible, horrible judgement of football.
Actually I know what I'm talking about and I'm not sucking up to our "captain" like some on this forum :)

Go back and watch the game again, he was pathetic.

markhrad

I agree it was a good cross. I am just happy that at last Rooney is not going to be our main man. We now have 2 players in Zlatan and Pogba that are clearly more important than him in our team. I think he can now be judged on his performance on a game by game basis and not by his status.
Zlatan, especially, will not play second fiddle to anyone.

WyoManU

What a discussion. Yes, he had an assist. Nobody is disputing that. However, this does not absolve him from 1000's of minutes over the past few seasons in that position being downright average. I don't hate Rooney. He has been one of our best players when in his prime. This does not mean that his time has finally come and he deserves to be dropped and fight for his spot based on merit, not old memories and nostalgia.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect
I agree it was a good cross. I am just happy that at last Rooney is not going to be our main man. We now have 2 players in Zlatan and Pogba that are clearly more important than him in our team. I think he can now be judged on his performance on a game by game basis and not by his status.
Zlatan, especially, will not play second fiddle to anyone.
Thought it was interesting how yesterday on commentary Phil Neville said, armband aside, that Zlatan is Mourinho's captain/leader on the pitch.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He was piss poor yesterday and I'm a big Rooney fan but his form is looking more and more permanent I'm afraid. He's running out of time it's either start playing well or he'll be getting the Hart treatment!

shaky

I'm hoping that Jose is just waiting for the Europa/League cup games to come around so he can slyly pull a switch-a-rooney and slide Wayne into the cup team starting 11, and he gets "rested" for the league games so it doesn't look so obvious that he's being replaced in the first choice line-up.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I'm hoping that Jose is just waiting for the Europa/League cup games to come around so he can slyly pull a switch-a-rooney and slide Wayne into the cup team starting 11, and he gets "rested" for the league games so it doesn't look so obvious that he's being replaced in the first choice line-up.
You definitely just wanted to slip 'switch-a-Rooney' in.

I'm glad you did.

nick2004

It was a great cross by Rooney. Not many of our players can hit that. Later on, Zlatan tried something similar towards Martial but he overhit the ball and nothing came out of it.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
It was a great cross by Rooney. Not many of our players can hit that. Later on, Zlatan tried something similar towards Martial but he overhit the ball and nothing came out of it.
Yes not many players in world football could put a cross in like that. Don't be so ridiculous. My Nan could put a ball in like that given the space Rooney had. Fair play he got an assist but Zlatan did the work for the goal.

spwd

Feck sake at least try and hide that your wumming :lol::lol:

drdoityourself

He will score a few goals and get some assists, there's no doubt about that. This team is brimming with quality and that increases any players' chances of better stats. However, if we would play someone else in that role, Miki, Mata or Pogba there's no doubt in my mind those goals and assists numbers from the nr.10 role will still be there, and added to that a better overall, reliable quality in our build up making this team even more dangerous.
He's lost most of his dynamism, pace and power. The three traits I thought were his biggest assets. So I just don't see what makes him anything more than an experienced role player to this squad.

Dante

Average bang
We need to pack the team with Football Manager superstars. Rooney should be dropped because he's not not good on the game. It's a simple as that. Until Mourinho picks side that reflects FM, the Caf won't be happy.

dichinero

I swear you were the same dude that said Rooney should be the team because only him can score a goal like he did at Newcastle donkey years ago. Ridiculous!!!

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I think Rooney has a lot to offer, but the sooner he is stripped of his guaranteed starter basis, the better. He's not the player he was, and hardly ever makes something happen out of nothing. Which a no.10 should. He's still a useful player, and he will still score goals in the premier league, which is ultimately the most precious currency in football; but I rankle at the idea that he is undroppable. I am hopeful that Mourinho is going to show little sentimentality on this issue. As Micki finds his feet, and the season progresses, I expect he and Rashford to be taking that starting berth from Rooney.

For the moment, I think Jose is doing the right thing; and integrating his new players into the team, and playing a consistent XI. Rooney is a huge influence in the dressing room, has had a huge career; and I suspect Jose wants to see what he gets out of him. If he doesn't perform, then I believe he will be phased out appropriately. This isn't LVG time anymore. I just think it would've been the wrong thing to come in, and drop Rooney without giving him a chance to claim the spot for himself. His history and previous quality merits that. Especially when his competitors are a new signing from a foreign league, and an 18 year old.

This is a results business, and it was important to get off to a good start. He's focused his changes and energy in the right places so far.

Hamadovich86

Seems like Rooney does just enough to stay in the starting 11, the goal in the previous game and the assist on friday. His first touch is horrific most of the time and he slows things down far too much for my taste.

AgentP

Mkhitaryan's cameo shows the difference in class between the two players. We'll score way more goals and our whole game play will be much better if we start with Mkhi. Almost everyone sees it and I think even Jose does. It is to be seen if Jose can make the tough choice of dropping Rooney.

fellaini's barber

He looks to be the weakest link amongst all our attacking players despite most of them being rusty. He was better than at Bournemouth at least. I think he's being gradually phased out though, he's not even taking pens anymore. I still think our best team won't have him in it. I saw old man Ibra charge down defenders and win the ball few times, Rooney simply can't. Great cross for the goal, he has always been a very good crosser

gvk004

I think everybody is overlooking the defensive contribution that Rooney brings . When we are playing with 2 box to box midfielders you need someone like Rooney to cover them, He was not substituted at all and Moriniho values the work rate of Rooney .I agree that he is not good in attacking sense but Micky or any other player wont have the work rate Moriniho wants from a number 10 . If Rooney is dropped I dont see use playing with Fellaini and Pogba. Instead it will be Schinderlin and Pogba . I feel the best thing is to switch to a 4 3 3 .Midfield of Fellaini ,Pogba and a CDM should be awesome . We are not getting as much from Rooney in attacking sense ,so 4 3 3 makes a lot of sense .

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Still can't believe he's been taken off from penalty duty. He's actually been pretty solid at them so what was the thinking behind that?

AttackingFlair

Still can't believe he's been taken off from penalty duty. He's actually been pretty solid at them so what was the thinking behind that?
Jose designated three penalty takers (Ibra, Rooney, Pogba) and let them choose the pecking order between themselves. Rooney and Pogba agreed that Ibra should take the pens.

I am a bit shocked that he gave up the penalty taking duty being a few goals off record scorer. After he gave up penalty taking in 12/13 he seems to have worked hard at them and scored 13 out of 14 penalties (93% success rate) from the 13/14 season onwards for club and country. His only penalty miss in that period was against Liverpool and we still won.

Ronetta

Supports
Man City
No, football clearly works like that. If you don't contribute directly to goals you're useless. Why play with a goalkeeper or a defence? If we play 6 Zlatans and 5 Rooneys we win 12-0 with the Rooneys getting 5 assists. Better yet, why not play 11 Zlatans and win 22-0?

Simple mathematics.
Funny post, but to be fair, playing with 11 Zlatans and you probably would win every game 10-0. It would be 22-0 were it not of them fighting amongst themselves for the last 80 minutes. And the atmosphere in the dressing room? Wowee.

Last edited:

Ixion

He has missed plenty of penalties over the years I don't see why it's surprising.

In the stands there was a huge cheer when Zlatan picked up the ball and it was obvious he was taking it so the fans seem to agree with the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.