g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

How would you feel if Rooney smashed it at Everton?

Danny Roberts

Wtf can't people be happy that our former captain, striker, top goalscorer, multiple league winner, long time servant is scoring goals for his boyhood club, especially against our rivals and pissing their fans off in the process? What's with the moan and bitterness in this thread? This place is getting more and more ridiculous.
Well said!

Djemba-Djemba

I thought last night showed why Everton was a good move for Rooney. Watching the game, Rooney wasn't really that great. He was generally pretty cautious and even then managed to lose the ball a few times. Really lovely run for the goal, but in the second half with City down to 10 men and pushing forward, a pacy striker would have had a field day. Rooney offered nothing on the counter attack and the lack of threat meant City never had any reason to hold back.

Thing is though, the different expectations for Everton and United mean his contribution is seen differently. At United, losing a lead at a main rival despite being a man up would be seen as a poor result and so Rooney's lack of threat in the second half would stand out. At Everton, a draw away to City is seen as a decent result, so people don't worry so much about the second half performance and just focus on what he did well.
That's a very good summary.

GrandJury

If he smashes it it kind of proves he couldn't be bothered for four years to be honest.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I thought last night showed why Everton was a good move for Rooney. Watching the game, Rooney wasn't really that great. He was generally pretty cautious and even then managed to lose the ball a few times. Really lovely run for the goal, but in the second half with City down to 10 men and pushing forward, a pacy striker would have had a field day. Rooney offered nothing on the counter attack and the lack of threat meant City never had any reason to hold back.

Thing is though, the different expectations for Everton and United mean his contribution is seen differently. At United, losing a lead at a main rival despite being a man up would be seen as a poor result and so Rooney's lack of threat in the second half would stand out. At Everton, a draw away to City is seen as a decent result, so people don't worry so much about the second half performance and just focus on what he did well.
Very true.
He was basically handcuffed but the expectations of what you'd expect from a United player.
Very clear both player and club benefit from parting ways. His time here had come to a natural end.
He looks like he's enjoying himself. Happy for him.

Dobbs

Wtf can't people be happy that our former captain, striker, top goalscorer, multiple league winner, long time servant is scoring goals for his boyhood club, especially against our rivals and pissing their fans off in the process? What's with the moan and bitterness in this thread? This place is getting more and more ridiculous.
Think it's worth noting that when you say "people" it's actually a really small number. A larger number might doubt his ability to be a success at Everton (myself included) but to be bitter about whatever he does there, you can count them on one hand.

AndyJ1985

Couldn't care how he plays as long as he keeps scoring against our rivals.

AdnanRED

Hope he does well other than against us, got him in my fantasy team too!... Would also like to see him have a chance of beating shearers record even though its very slim!

cjg-888

May have been discussed, I briefly heard Gary Neville discussing Rooney, paraphrasing along the lines of: "Wayne has every right not to be as fit now, due to how he has played in the past". Find it kind of strange statement, defense and excuse. He has been overall poor for a very long time yet the apologist and defense of him are still there.

I respect and love all the positives he brought in a United shirt and his records, but the negatives, decline and stubborn defense of him by the media/pals etc was/is ridiculous at times.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
May have been discussed, I briefly heard Gary Neville discussing Rooney, paraphrasing along the lines of: "Wayne has every right not to be as fit now, due to how he has played in the past". Find it kind of strange statement, defense and excuse. He has been overall poor for a very long time yet the apologist and defense of him are still there.

I respect and love all the positives he brought in a United shirt and his records, but the negatives, decline and stubborn defense of him by the media/pals etc was/is ridiculous at times.
Ronaldo started playing first team football at pretty much the same time as Rooney and he's probably the most fit player in the world. Zlatan was playing every game at 18 and he's a monster at 35 too. It's silly to excuse players for being unfit because they started early. I don't think Rooney has run more miles than all other players either, despite the common opinion that he was extremely hard-working.

ypsipeos

Ronaldo started playing first team football at pretty much the same time as Rooney and he's probably the most fit player in the world. Zlatan was playing every game at 18 and he's a monster at 35 too. It's silly to excuse players for being unfit because they started early. I don't think Rooney has run more miles than all other players either, despite the common opinion that he was extremely hard-working.
Nop! EPL is a different thing. Torres had come out and said once that if he had carried on like he did (EPL + CHL), his body wouldn't be able to handle it. And it's a fact. EPL is much faster and harder than other leagues. Plus the referees will let people knock each other.

Do you think it is easy to take on point in Etihad? Even with a red card against them it is difficult.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
What's SaintTresano done to piss them all off?
Well I did talk a lot of shit on The Manc fb page last year when they had a post about whether Manchester is red or blue. Called the blues a bunch of Qataris (I knew City were Abu Dhabi) and they were livid to say the least.

Unmutual

Do you think it is easy to take on point in Etihad? Even with a red card against them it is difficult.
No, but that's the point. At Everton its acceptable to draw away to City in those circumstances, because its a difficult game. At United it isn't.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Nop! EPL is a different thing. Torres had come out and said once that if he had carried on like he did (EPL + CHL), his body wouldn't be able to handle it. And it's a fact. EPL is much faster and harder than other leagues. Plus the referees will let people knock each other.

Ronaldo virtually played his first 6 years in Premier League too. He left in 2009. If he came back now he would still be a monster.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Rooney wouldn't be in such terrible shape if he weren't carrying at least an extra 5 kg of fats while playing throughout his entire career. Giggs played far longer than him and still looked in better shape at 40 than Rooney at 30.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Rooney wouldn't be in such terrible shape if he weren't carrying at least an extra 5 kg of fats while playing throughout his entire career. Giggs played far longer than him and still looked in better shape at 40 than Rooney at 30.
You can't compare Rooney to a player that was exemplary in the way he took care of himself. Apparently.

Needham

I was one of those who said he'd get the winner in the opening game of the season then the Everton goal in a one one draw at the Etihad in the following game, so feeling pretty vindicated right now.

Crashoutcassius

Was he as poor as the below link suggests? It still blows my mind how far he has declined. Physically he has gone but how has his technique touch and brain gotten so slow too?

ypsipeos

That's real. But we have to add that his gained those 5 extra kgs the season SAF used him as a lone striker for the first time. So, he did it for the team.
He never lost them. Don't really know the reason.

Anyway, I don't knkw what Ronaldo would have become in EPL. It's alla hypothetical. All I know is Vidic, Rio and other defenders (less running) who took care of themselves weren't able to play top level after 32 years old.

wr8_utd

:'(
No, but that's the point. At Everton its acceptable to draw away to City in those circumstances, because its a difficult game. At United it isn't.
I found our performance there far more unacceptable compared to Everton's last night tbh.

Crashoutcassius

TBH way way too much is made of when a player started playing and how much yoga they did etc. It is probably 95% genes and the rest some of that stuff

Miscemayl

Been fairly happy with him scoring, no bitterness at all.

Obviously hope he doesn't score against us but the more he scores against our rivals, the better

FergieYouBeauty

pleased for him, was a nice touch he got his 1st and 200th goal for everton... also nice his 50th, 150th and 200th was against city

Comet49

I've often said Rooney was too versatile for his own good, good luck to him.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
of course you are right and all the sports writers and former players are wrong...
so all the football writers are wrong as are l the ex players?
Good one mate :lol:

And since when have football writers and ex-players known anything about football? Especially whilst wearing Rooney tinted spectacles at all times.