How would you rate the signing of Casemiro?

dal

Bruno’s impact was way way bigger, Yes Casemiro has been good but I do think people are getting too carried away. He does exactly what is expect of a DM, he tries more adventurous passing then I hoped for and he’s decent at it.

Casemiro has been really good but so has ericksens and Martinez and all three have contributed massively because its what we’ve needed. Antony has been decent has given us balance but fee still to be proven.

On balance Bruno had a way bigger impact one player signed in January who contributed massivley to us winning a huge amount of games.

lex talionis

It’s wayyyyyy too early to compare the impact of Casemiro to Cantona and I discourage anyone here from making such a comparison until after we’ve won a major trophy again.

I rate the signing of Casemiro at 10 for all the obvious reasons.

Selbourne

I remember crying out for a great central midfielder around the days of Cleverley and Anderson and we never recieved one until now. I will continue to jizz myself over the the fact that it might have finally happened. 10/10

MyBloodIsRed

Other than RVP, was there a signing that has meant more to the squad??? ABSOLUTELY IMMENSE! Was hoping it wasn't a "he's past it and United are desperate so we'll fleece them for as much as we can".

Denis79

I was excited about this transfer but I never thought he would have this kind of impact.

madi5h

no interest in comparisons, but turning your weakest position on the pitch into your strongest? gotta rate that 10/10 as a signing, what more could you want?

Ole'sattheWheel

I can see him playing at this level for another 3/4 seasons. After that, maybe he can convert into a CB for a while? Fernandinho did it and his cameo at CB was pretty good

SATA

Never mind Casemiro’s talent and dedication, his commitment is miles better than Bastian Schweinsteiger who couldn’t be arsed to play for the club but flying off every week to watch his girlfriend play tennis

dave1956

Watching him play is a delight, he displays a determination to be first to the ball, win the tackle and take the ball forward, his vision of play and reading the game is a factor which we have lacked in a player for some time. I also notice that he is not afraid to point out mistakes to other players but he also can be seen to give encouragement as well. This is something which we have lacked for sometime especially in our captain, he appears not to be afraid of taking responsibility and taking a game by the scruff of the neck and changing patterns of play., he is by his record a proven winner and leader.
It is not only what he brings to the match day game but I suspect the influence and example he brings to the training ground, not only in footballing ability but a winning mentality.
Only time will tell if this is a signing which is comparable to that of Eric, but at the ,moment things are looking good.

cyril C

No-one should have any doubt on Casemiro's quality. Had we signed him 5 years ago, at 60m would be a steal. If he can only play 1.5 seasons, like VPS, even 20m is a disaster. I will put my judgement in 2025 summer, if he can play at this level, with 30+ games a season, then it would be equivalent to VDS deal. Old but not too late.

Kelly15

He was 30 when he joined us and didn't come cheap, but has there ever been a signing that has been such a perfect fit and has had such a direct impact as Casemiro? Shoot!
Denis Law, Bryan Robson, Mark Hughes(resigned from Barcelona), Steve Bruce, Denis Irwin, Peter Schmeichel, Eric Cantona, Roy Keane, Andy Cole, Dwight York, Rio Ferdinand, Wayne Rooney, Edwin Van Der Sar, RVP, Bruno Fernandes. IMO. I'm sure I left some out.

Casemiro - 10/10

Dominos

He's our best player alongside Varane, but it's a hard question to answer right now.

If one of the concerns about the signing was the huge price for a player who's 30+ then whether it's a great signing will depend on how long he maintains his peak level. If we got unlucky and he fell off a cliff after one year the same way Matic did then it would start to look questionable (obviously Matic was never as good Casemiro).

The other issue with these shorter term signings is they need to bring short term success to the team in some form. If we missed out on top 4 this season for example it may beg the question whether we should have targeted signings for long term project since the experienced heads weren't able to get us over the line in the short term anyway.

Right now I'm delighted he's here.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Definitely the most transformational signing for us post Fergie. And I say that because Casemiro transforms the team in the defensive and middle thirds which is absolutely crucial in building a strong team foundation from the first two phases of play and will allow ten Hag to develop his positional play principles further in the coming months and seasons.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
There are a few contenders for this title:

- Cantona. Inspirational. Converted us to a title winning team after two and a half decades in the wilderness.
- Jaap Stam & Dwight Yorke. Took a great team to the next level. Treble winners.
- Michael Carrick. A revelation in combination with Scholes. From 3rd to title winners. A CL followed not long after.
- Bruno Fernandes. Galvanised a flagging team.
- RVP. Powered a very good team, that lost out on the title on GD, to an emphatic title victory.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Vidic, Evra, vdSar, and JS Park (a perfect squad player).

Todd

Casemiro 10/10
Martinez 9/10
Eriksen 10/10 (with the consideration he signed on a free)
Malacia 6/10
Antony 7/10

All in all, in hindsight we had a banger of a transfer window last summer

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
10/10

He is the only one that would make it in a "team of the year", maybe Varane also (for me he would 100%). I still can't believe we almost paid the same money for Antony as we did for Varane and Casemiro combined.

The other ETH signings ratings:
Eriksen 10/10
Martinez 9.5/10
Malacia 6.5/10
Antony 6/10

Based on paid fee vs contribution.

InfiniteBoredom

His chubby cheeks may give off the wrong impression, but the guy is incredibly fit and has an excellent injury record. Hes missed a total of 12 games the last six season, and his longest absence (13 games) was all the way back in 16/17 with a fibula shaft fracture. While our record with 30+ players may give people pause, I don’t see why he wouldn’t be able to maintain his current level for another 2,3 years and play at an acceptable level until he’s 35,36. His peers at Madrid certainly did the same.

The White Pele

I admit I was quite sceptical of this transfer. I had obviously seen him for Madrid but was unsure that his success would transfer for a number of reasons: his age (thought he might get overrun in a more physically intense league), coming into a weaker side, thought he might be coming for the money (misjudged his personality/professionalism), thought he was a bit of a sh*thouse at Madrid and didn’t think he would solve our issues with playing the ball through midfield (underestimated his footballing ability).

All in all I thought it was a bit of a panic buy and another poorly judged signing.

I couldn’t have been more wrong. A real leader in the team already and really impressing with his performances. A much better footballer than I thought he was, which I know is mad given the success he had at Madrid.

In terms of a rating you would have to probably say 10/10 in terms of him bringing the qualities that we needed in the immediate term.

With hindsight over his full tenure we might look back at the fee and bring that score down a couple of points but you don’t mind overpaying as much when the signing comes in and impacts the team to this degree immediately.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Done very well so far as others have said it's too early. We paid a huge sum for it and it's worth will depend on how long he can give us strong performances for.

So far he could potentially be a major contributing reason for us finishing in the top 4.

A-man

Our defence has been transformed into something good. The reason without competition is Casemiro. Last season our CBs ended up in 1v1 and 2v2 situations with attackers ant full speed all the time. This rarely happens now. We have gone from one of the worst defensive midfields, to one of the best with that one transfer. The control he has added to our central midfield also gives freedom for our full backs and other midfielder to go for attack.
Then add his play making and his aerial capabilities and we have the most important signing in years. His only flaw imo is that he makes some mistakes every now and then. However as a CM it’s not the end of the world (it looked worse when he made such mistake as CB) and I can live with.

Suv666

9/10

If we win some silverware with him then its 10/10

El Jefe

I remember crying out for a great central midfielder around the days of Cleverley and Anderson and we never recieved one until now. I will continue to jizz myself over the the fact that it might have finally happened. 10/10
For this alone its a 10/10 signing.

Our defensive midfielders over the last decade have been a past it Carrick, Schneiderlin Herrera who wasn't a DM, a past it Matic and a combination of Mcfred. I also give it a 10 because his signing has nuked the Mcfred partnership that we have suffered for four seasons.

Madrid fans are probably a bit confused why we praise him as much even though he's a top player. He's providing a combination of qualities we haven't had since Keane nearly 20 years ago.

As good as Carrick was and he was excellent he wasn't great physically. I remember the caf losing their shit in 2010 when Olic outmuscled Carrick to score for Bayern against us at OT in the CL quarters.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Casemiro didn't come on his own, he was part of a whole wave of improvements - with him came the most talked about up and coming manager in ETH, a whole new coaching staff, a new but proven midfield partner in Eriksen, a brutal but classy beast of a defender in Martinez, genuine competition at LB, and another overdue gap sorted at the right side of attack.

Bruno came on his own into the same team which was struggling badly to create, with the same manager, and transformed the whole place. I think Bruno had the bigger immediate impact
Nonsense. Bruno came into a team that had lost Pogba, Rashford, Martial for large parts and was struggling for quality in the final third. He played about four games, the first being 0-0 at home to wolves, before lockdown and when football returned so did Pogba and Rashford, Martial and Greenwood were also exceptional and so was Luke Shaw. Bruno like many players who ‘transform’ teams was the beneficiary of specific timing. Same to some extent with Cantona, although a much better player with a much bigger impact on and off the pitch, that 92/93 team couldn’t have been more ready for Cantona to come in and fill the Cantona shaped hole.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
RvN and Rooney together with Cantona are perhaps the 3 best signings - in terms of making an immediate impact.
Debut aside, what immediate impact did Rooney make? He scored in only 3 league games out of his first 14. He finished the season with 11 league goals in 29 games and he didn’t transform the team in any way. We were awful until 06/07

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The signing of Casemiro is an exceptional piece of business as a stand alone signing, factor in that we no longer watch McFred every week and it’s even better. Casemiro is genuinely world class. The best midfielder we’ve had since prime Keane/Scholes.

HookedOnAPhelan

So far? 9/10. He's been outstanding for the most part, and has brought so much to our game that we've been missing, both in terms of attributes and mentality.

But he is 31 soon, cost a lot of money, and is on big wages. If he starts noticably declining within the next year or two or starts picking up a lot of injuries then it obviously won't look like such a good deal anymore. But the good thing is he seems like a thoroughly professional and determined guy who takes care of his body, which lessens the possibility of that happening.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
You're massively underrating the impact Bruno had when he arrived. We were doing terrible and pretty much everyone was calling for Ole to be sacked. Bruno completely dragged us through the second half of that season and saved Ole's job (for better or worse). He was absolutely incredible. Almost the definition of a one-man team.
Only if you completely ignore the performances of Rashford,Greenwood,Martial,Pogba and Shaw and the fact that we had missed Rashford Martial and Pogba for large periods of the first half of the season, plus it was Greenwood’s breakthrough season and after Xmas he was sensational. Bruno was brilliant but he was nothing like a one man team. You literally have to ignore half the team to come to that conclusion.

Kag

One of the most important I can recall.

He’s the best central midfielder we’ve had at the club since Scholes and Keane.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
There are a few contenders for this title:

- Cantona. Inspirational. Converted us to a title winning team after two and a half decades in the wilderness.
- Jaap Stam & Dwight Yorke. Took a great team to the next level. Treble winners.
- Michael Carrick. A revelation in combination with Scholes. From 3rd to title winners. A CL followed not long after.
- Bruno Fernandes. Galvanised a flagging team.
- RVP. Powered a very good team, that lost out on the title on GD, to an emphatic title victory.
Responsibility for this :-

Ronaldo transforming from talented youngster to one of the best players in the world
Vidic coming in January previous to partner Rio
Evra coming in January previous to give us a world class back five.

Carrick playing ok in midfield

Glorio

Nonsense. Bruno came into a team that had lost Pogba, Rashford, Martial for large parts and was struggling for quality in the final third. He played about four games, the first being 0-0 at home to wolves, before lockdown and when football returned so did Pogba and Rashford, Martial and Greenwood were also exceptional and so was Luke Shaw. Bruno like many players who ‘transform’ teams was the beneficiary of specific timing. Same to some extent with Cantona, although a much better player with a much bigger impact on and off the pitch, that 92/93 team couldn’t have been more ready for Cantona to come in and fill the Cantona shaped hole.
What's nonsense? That the team was struggling before Bruno started playing for us? That the team he joined had mostly the same squad available after he joined? (Bar Pogba). I ain't having none of that. We'll have to agree to disagree there.

What happened after the 0-0 against Wolves? Did the team not start winning? It goes without saying that he had a massive impact on the performances of the players around him.

It's not like all of Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Shaw, Greenwood were absent for long periods from the team that struggled badly before Bruno joined. In fact, only Pogba was.