How would you rate the signing of Casemiro?

Ah the games we played with McFred, James, Lingard, pereira? Yeah not really surprising that.
Check the lineups again. Fred, Lingard, Pereira and James got roughly as much gametime in the 5-game sequence before Wolves as they did in the next 5 (McTominay was injured throughout the "before" sequence).

Of the other players you're pointing to in that last post, Pogba didn't play a minute in either sequence, Rashford got injured halfway through and didn't play at all between the Fernandes signing and the lockdown, Martial played every game before and after, and Matic played 9 out of 10 games throughout. Greenwood, the one semi-valid shout, started 2 out of 5 games after Fernandes vs. 0 out of 5 before. And even then he didn't get on the pitch in the wins against City and Chelsea, the most impressive performances in the "after" sequence.

Fernandes was the only major change in the XI between the Burnley-Burnley sequence where we picked up 6 points, and the Wolves-City sequence immediately after where we picked up 11. He clearly had an immediate impact on performances and results. This continued after the lockdown, and we got even better (obviously) when he was joined by two of our best players in Pogba and Rashford, but the improvement had already started before that.

I don't really think this is very controversial, but you can keep posting dismissive one-liners if you want!

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Check the lineups again. Fred, Lingard, Pereira and James got roughly as much gametime in the 5-game sequence before Wolves as they did in the next 5 (McTominay was injured throughout the "before" sequence).

Of the other players you're pointing to in that last post, Pogba didn't play a minute in either sequence, Rashford got injured halfway through and didn't play at all between the Fernandes signing and the lockdown, Martial played every game before and after, and Matic played 9 out of 10 games throughout. Greenwood, the one semi-valid shout, started 2 out of 5 games after Fernandes vs. 0 out of 5 before. And even then he didn't get on the pitch in the wins against City and Chelsea, the most impressive performances in the "after" sequence.

Fernandes was the only major change in the XI between the Burnley-Burnley sequence where we picked up 6 points, and the Wolves-City sequence immediately after where we picked up 11. He clearly had an immediate impact on performances and results. This continued after the lockdown, and we got even better (obviously) when he was joined by two of our best players in Pogba and Rashford, but the improvement had already started before that.

I don't really think this is very controversial, but you can keep posting dismissive one-liners if you want!
I think you’re missing the point? The point that the poster I replied to made was that Bruno single handedly transformed that team and was a one man team.

My point is that he didn’t do anything single handedly. I’ve said I thought he was brilliant and our best player the second half of that season but other players were also brilliant particularly Martial, Shaw and Greenwood.

You keep talking about this five game period as if 3 wins and 2 draws is some great run of form. It’s not. It’s decent but it’s not great. It’s better than the five games before it but you could find a ten game run in any season where form fluctuates especially when the team was as bad as it was. However the 8 games after lockdown where we settled on a consistent team yielded 20 points from 24 which is almost City levels of title winning points totals. We also scored 21 goals in those 8 games against 8 goals in the 5 games you are talking about.

In addition, whilst the City and Chelsea results are impressive we had already beaten City away from home and Chelsea 4-0 at home before we signed Bruno.

I guess the question is do you think Bruno was solely responsible and a one man team? Because my point is he wasn’t. There was an improvement when he came into a poor side but the biggest improvements came when we could play our best 11 every game.

norm87cro

I would give him a solid 8 but giving his age we have to find younger midfielders at a decent level. This Casemiro thing can go from a 100 to flop just like Matic. We were all happy with Matic in the beggining and later he was one of the more abused players and it wasn't his fault he got older and our squad didnt get better. Casemiro is about the similar age as Matic was when he joined and I hope he doesnt get the same stick in 3 or 4 years time and he can be regarded as a great squad player by that time

This Casemiro thing can go from a 100 to flop just like Matic. We were all happy with Matic in the beggining and later he was one of the more abused players and it wasn't his fault he got older and our squad didnt get better. Casemiro is about the similar age as Matic was when he joined
The main difference here is that Matic had already shown before we got him that he was on the decline physically. He ran completely out of steam in the second half of his last two seasons for Chelsea, and then he came here and did exactly the same for us.

Casemiro hasn't shown any signs of that yet. No reason to get worried until he does.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I would give him a solid 8 but giving his age we have to find younger midfielders at a decent level. This Casemiro thing can go from a 100 to flop just like Matic. We were all happy with Matic in the beggining and later he was one of the more abused players and it wasn't his fault he got older and our squad didnt get better. Casemiro is about the similar age as Matic was when he joined and I hope he doesnt get the same stick in 3 or 4 years time and he can be regarded as a great squad player by that time
Casemiro has a much higher level to drop from for starters, and has already shown a better top level than Matic did.
Always the risk of a drop off though, but hopefully not for a long while.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Would echo the first two replies. Casemiro plays at a level Matic even at his best wasn't comparable to.

His age is a concern but he's that good it really doesn't matter if you get 1 good year out of him or 5. You're still much better off having a genuine world classs player still at their peak for 1 year, than not having them.

For me the best midfielder we've had since Scholes, and that's saying something as I really rated Carrick but I just think Casemiro is a bit better.

I mean Eriksen I'd put down as our best midfielder since Ferguson retired in himself (discounting Carrick as he wasnt the same player after that), but i feel like he's replacable/interchangeable if you find a good enough alternative. Casemiro is one of those where you just have to accept once he's done that you're not going to be as good in that area of the pitch anymore unless you get unbelievably lucky with a replacement.

Considering it all seemed a bit fumbled and last minute I'd rate it as an amazing signing.

Mr PG

Casemiro is even better than Scholes tbh. Casemiro bossed it in the world cup in a way neither Carrick nor Scholes would. I mean the man has 5 cl medals to show for it. You don't win that many as a starter without being incredible.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
The DM position was a position that needed fixing the most and Thank God we signed him he's been excellent so far. 10

Andersons Dietician

I’ll hold my hands up in that I wasn’t thrilled by the news we were signing Casemiro. Figured he’d just be another in a long line of people coming to United to finish out their playing career on bumper wages coasting it whilst other teams buy the new up and coming players. I knew he was obviously a very good player, But just seemed to me at the time we should be looking elsewhere.

I know we aren’t even through the season yet but feck me I’m glad I was wrong. I mean it’s not just him but his presence in the team just seems to have transformed so many. I always felt like we really lacked leaders, however with him, Martinez and even Varane this team now looks transformed mentally.

So off of that alone I’d say it has been a great signing so far and that’s not even taking in to account the football he has played.

DevilRed

Nobody told me he would be this good.

Always thought he was just someone who sits in front of the defence and shithouses.

Nope. This man can do it all.

redmanx

He was 30 when he joined us and didn't come cheap, but has there ever been a signing that has been such a perfect fit and has had such a direct impact as Casemiro? Shoot!
Denis Law hit the ground running when he arrived in 1962/63 season scoring 12 goals before Xmas.

jesperjaap

7.5/10 currently considering the price and age

Dont get me wrong, think he has been great, but it was a huge price for his age. Time will tell how good a signing individually he has bene by how long he stays at the top level or what if any sell on we get from him.

He could turn into a huge signing in terms of a catalyst though. We have been crying out for a central midfielder of quality of his ilk. I havent been surprised liek some, he has been one of the best midfielders in the world for some time. His passing has always been good too, though I didnt realise his range of passing was quite as good as it has been so far.

But sgning this type of player this summer I think could be the difference in us possibly reaching the top four, a place in Europe which means more money and able to attract better players generally we have more pull there. In those terms he is an 8/9 signing as was exactly what we needed

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
10. Love the guy. Great combo with Eriksen and Bruno, all likeable, gifted, intelligent football players

mikel

it was a perfect signing for what was needed to stabilize the defense and upgrade the level of play and leadership. But as several posters have mentioned there has to be the next signing to take over because he is getting up there.

EtH

This thread is at least 18 months premature.

poleglass red

10. Love the guy. Great combo with Eriksen and Bruno, all likeable, gifted, intelligent football players
That's the only part that worries me, I'm not convinced Erikson works in a 2 with him against the top teams. We will get a better idea in coming weeks when we play the likes of Arsenal, City and Barcelona. I really like both players, but we could be overrun v better sides. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fred perhaps starting v one of the aforementioned teams. Be interesting to see how ETH approaches those games. You ideally want Erikson's creativity but then there is a lack of mobility when he plays. Fred not a player I particuarly rate but his mobility could be an asset.

nakpodiareuben

Casemiro is even better than Scholes tbh. Casemiro bossed it in the world cup in a way neither Carrick nor Scholes would. I mean the man has 5 cl medals to show for it. You don't win that many as a starter without being incredible.
I won't compare him with scholes. They play different positions. Scholes is My all time greatest player for this club and more more like Eriksen. But yeah, Casemiro is the best DM I have watched play for this club. Even when Keano was here,our midfield got bossed by Arsenal and top PL teams

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Different player/role, both elite at what they do. Scholes would be better compared to Modrić/Kroos from Madrid while Casemiro is the DM role to be compared with Robson, Keane, Carrick...

I'm just glad we have a manager who finally understands the value of a DM, after it got ignored for so long by managers who thought just anyone could come in and cover that role.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat

AlPistacho

Best post SAF signing. Arguably best signing since Vidic. Won’t argue with anyone who says “RVP” but imo RVP was the final touch that turned us from a team competing for the league to a team that won it, the drop off when RVP wasn’t playing wasn’t as noticeable as when Casemiro isn’t playing.

OldSchoolManc

It’s up there with Cantona in terms of changing the feeling around United.
BUT that’s along with Licha and the renaissance of Rashford

Alex B

9 so far overall. Pretty much perfect on and off the pitch. -0.5 for a few unnecessary yellows and first couple of games, and -0.5 for age and any resale.

next_number_seven

I wouldn't say he's been that amazing. I've seen lots of misplaced passes.
I think Lisandros been much better and didn't make a mistake til West Ham game.

But if we can keep Casemiro, Varane and Lisandro fit and healthy for 3 more seasons, it'll give us a very strong foundation for success.

If you beat them, you still have to beat De Gea who's in great form.

If you concede few goals, you can achieve anything.

el3mel

10/10 he has been easily one of the best signings in PL this season in general. He transformed our midfield.

mu4c_20le

I wouldn't say he's been that amazing. I've seen lots of misplaced passes.
I think Lisandros been much better and didn't make a mistake til West Ham game.

But if we can keep Casemiro, Varane and Lisandro fit and healthy for 3 more seasons, it'll give us a very strong foundation for success.

If you beat them, you still have to beat De Gea who's in great form.

If you concede few goals, you can achieve anything.
:lol:

Passing isn't even supposed to be his game but he's already shown more than he did at Madrid.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Honestly, I'm nearly 48 years old, but watching this guy makes me feel like i did in my late teens watching Cantona play for United.

I've always thought he was exactly the type of player United midfield needed, but I never dreamed we'd ever actually get him. I just wanted a player like him.

He's got that presence that makes you feel like we can't lose when he plays

Devilyouknow

He’s incredible, a transformational signing and is making us a much better team. He makes players around him better, they are more confident knowing he’s there and he’s playing way more expansively than he ever did at Madrid.

eire-red

He's been incredible for us. Completely transformative. Watching us in the final last weekend, Casemiro was such a force in that game. That's the mark of a true great, seeing how they turn up and control the biggest of games.

Bruno had a similar impact when he joined. It felt like he lifted the entire club. But I don't think Bruno could lift us from a top 4 challenger to looking like a title challengers in the way that Casemiro has.

Hard to rank in terms of all time transfers. Cantona will forever be the pinnacle for me and kickstarted it all. Let's revisit in a few years.