How would you rate the signing of Casemiro?

Peelhead

Our fanbase has been asking for a signing with his qualities for YEARS.

Very pleased, 11/10.
Awesome, agree 101% he's not just great technically, he's got a vision to create and disrupt and almost literally drag the team up. Makes me proud to be red!

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
What's nonsense? That the team was struggling before Bruno started playing for us? That the team he joined had mostly the same squad available after he joined? (Bar Pogba). I ain't having none of that. We'll have to agree to disagree there.

What happened after the 0-0 against Wolves? Did the team not start winning? It goes without saying that he had a massive impact on the performances of the players around him.

It's not like all of Pogba, Martial, Rashford, Shaw, Greenwood were absent for long periods from the team that struggled badly before Bruno joined. In fact, only Pogba was.
After the wolves game we won 2 and drew 2. So pre lockdown the games Bruno played we drew 3 and won 2 of 5 games.

In the ten games before we signed Bruno the most used side was

McT (5)
Fred (10)
Lingard/pereira (5/5)
James (8)
Martial (9)
Rashford (8)

Once we had Pogba and Rashford back after lockdown the same side played 99% of the games, with only McT coming in for Matic in one game.

Matic
Pogba
Bruno
Rashford
Martial
Greenwood

So then we see that four of the team that were starting most games prior to Bruno were not starting after lockdown. The gulf in ability from McT,Fred,Lingard,Pereira,James to Matic,Pogba,Bruno,Greenwood is immense. Every single one of those players was levels above the player they replaced and every single one of them was in great form. It sure as hell wasn’t all because of Bruno that they were. How would Bruno make Matic better? Or Greenwood? The partnership of Pogba and Bruno was never ideal so he didn’t make Pogba better. Martial had a 1 in 2 (8 in 16) scoring ratio from the start of the season until Bruno signed and improved to 9 in 14 after but that included a hat trick in one game and is quite similar either way.

Putting that down to one player is nonsense. There were many factors that were causing our bad form pre Bruno, namely having to play sub standard players. Had only Bruno changed and took Lingard/Pereira’s place then ok…but that wasn’t the case at all.

nakpodiareuben

I don't want to start the thread but I am ready for the argument of Casemiro vs Roy Keane. It's too early but I am watching the best Defensive midfielder this club has gotten in the past 24 years since I started watching united. He is the complete Dm. We will get to that argument pretty soon

nakpodiareuben

Denis Law, Bryan Robson, Mark Hughes(resigned from Barcelona), Steve Bruce, Denis Irwin, Peter Schmeichel, Eric Cantona, Roy Keane, Andy Cole, Dwight York, Rio Ferdinand, Wayne Rooney, Edwin Van Der Sar, RVP, Bruno Fernandes. IMO. I'm sure I left some out.

Casemiro - 10/10

Casemiro did not just bring quality, He brought a winning mentality and a right attitude to fight for every ball. He was my favorite player watching real Madrid all this seasons. He is a winner

next_number_seven

He's our best midfield signing since Carrick.
We've been crying out for a proper midfielder since Carrick.

I don't count Bruno as a midfielder.

Ten Hag is our best manager since Fergie.

Its between Cassimiro, Lisandro and Rashford for POTY.

One reason I lost faith in Ole is that he didn't recognize that McFred weren't good enough and signed Varane, Ronaldo,VdB etc.

Midfield is the heart and soul of the team.

All the clean sheets are wonderful and is the backbone to success

Sea-Cow

I don't want to start the thread but I am ready for the argument of Casemiro vs Roy Keane. It's too early but I am watching the best Defensive midfielder this club has gotten in the past 24 years since I started watching united. He is the complete Dm. We will get to that argument pretty soon
Not to pick nits here, but I don't see him as just a DM. I think he's a complete center midfielder; a combination of Keano and Viera.

I can't wait to watch him against City and Arsenal. These past few games have looked too easy for him and I am anxious to see if he can take his performances up a few more notches to match the quality of the opposition.

Crashoutcassius

I think it will be remembered fondly for the first part of the contract and less so for the latter part. We don't have to worry about that now really

Sea-Cow

So far? 9/10. He's been outstanding for the most part, and has brought so much to our game that we've been missing, both in terms of attributes and mentality.

But he is 31 soon, cost a lot of money, and is on big wages. If he starts noticably declining within the next year or two or starts picking up a lot of injuries then it obviously won't look like such a good deal anymore. But the good thing is he seems like a thoroughly professional and determined guy who takes care of his body, which lessens the possibility of that happening.
I think he can continue at this top level until at least 34. Fernandino at City was a regular starter for them until he was 35 or 36 I believe.

Kelly15

Debut aside, what immediate impact did Rooney make? He scored in only 3 league games out of his first 14. He finished the season with 11 league goals in 29 games and he didn’t transform the team in any way. We were awful until 06/07
Rooney was our leading goal scorer that season in the league and overall. His goal against Middlesbrrough in the FA Cup was voted goal of the season. Voted PFA young player of the year 04/05.

Man Utd vs Arsenal - 2-0 Got fouled in the box. RvN Converts the penalty. Scored the second goal. At that time Arsenal were our main rival. This stopped Arsenal’s 49 game unbeaten run.

Vs Newcastle away - 3-1 Rooney 2 goals.

Vs Liverpool away - 1-0 Rooney 1 goal

Vs Birmingham - 2-0 Rooney 1 goal

Vs Man City away - 2-0 Rooney 1 goal

Vs Portmouth - 2-1 Rooney 2 goals

Vs Newcastle - 2-1 Rooney 1 goal. And what a goal that was. Amazing!

And that's just part of Rooney's goal contributions. He was so much more then that. His all around play was amazing. From defending, linking up play, passing, and finishing. Most exciting debut season of any player I have seen besides Cantona.

Lee565

Probably the most important signing of a 30+ year old since van der sar?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I rate Casemiro as 9/10 player (on current form) , I expected him to be a 7-8/10 because I knew what he brings to the table.

I was very happy when we signed him over De Jong and I'm delighted he's even better then I could imagine.

lex talionis

10/10 without question.

We can point to the one mistake early in the season, but in truth Casemiro has been consistently outstanding since his arrival at OT and, with all due respect to Bruno and Varane, is the one player on the squad who walks into any NT or club side on the planet.

surf

I think he can continue at this top level until at least 34. Fernandino at City was a regular starter for them until he was 35 or 36 I believe.
Yeah, I'm not concerned that he is 30. He is in his prime and should be for several more years.

Many Brazilians burn out young, others like Fernandinho, Thiago Silva, Dani Alves last forever. Casemiro is fit, seems to look after himself, is not injury prone, sets himself high standards, and plays in a position where he can pace himself over a game and a season, so there is every reason to hope he can maintain this level until 34 or 35. I just hope Varane ages well too.

Crashoutcassius

You think he's going to decline in the next two years? I personally see no signs of it.
i think nearly any 4 year contract for a 30 year old non goalkeeper on the 350-400k a week range is going to end up in the same situation. Players physical decline is hard to predict and maybe Matic and Schwins rapid decline around the age of 30, both being centre mids, has made us more wary than the average. Decline for a shielding mid at 32 seems reasonable to me. Even Kante changed at 30

Glorio

After the wolves game we won 2 and drew 2. So pre lockdown the games Bruno played we drew 3 and won 2 of 5 games.

In the ten games before we signed Bruno the most used side was

McT (5)
Fred (10)
Lingard/pereira (5/5)
James (8)
Martial (9)
Rashford (8)

Once we had Pogba and Rashford back after lockdown the same side played 99% of the games, with only McT coming in for Matic in one game.

Matic
Pogba
Bruno
Rashford
Martial
Greenwood

So then we see that four of the team that were starting most games prior to Bruno were not starting after lockdown. The gulf in ability from McT,Fred,Lingard,Pereira,James to Matic,Pogba,Bruno,Greenwood is immense. Every single one of those players was levels above the player they replaced and every single one of them was in great form. It sure as hell wasn’t all because of Bruno that they were. How would Bruno make Matic better? Or Greenwood? The partnership of Pogba and Bruno was never ideal so he didn’t make Pogba better. Martial had a 1 in 2 (8 in 16) scoring ratio from the start of the season until Bruno signed and improved to 9 in 14 after but that included a hat trick in one game and is quite similar either way.

Putting that down to one player is nonsense. There were many factors that were causing our bad form pre Bruno, namely having to play sub standard players. Had only Bruno changed and took Lingard/Pereira’s place then ok…but that wasn’t the case at all.
FYI - Rashford was not back after lockdown, he was playing most games before Bruno joined.

Of course he had an impact on the players around him:
A hattrick among Martial's vastly improved goal return after Bruno's introduction does nothing to discredit the fact that Martial benefited greatly.

We saw Pogba play under a lot of pressure to create due to being the only creative outlet, so I disagree that Bruno had no effect on him.

Rashford has mentioned that with Bruno on the pitch he feels he can keep making runs and he'll be found.

With a prolific creator in the side, Matic could focus more on his job - beyond this specific debate players have impacts directly or indirectly on their colleagues, you don't need me to explain that, I'm sure.

Again all the players you mention in your "gulf in class" bracket (bar Pogba - who existed prior to his injury lest we forget) were mostly in the squad and playing before Bruno arrived - and the team struggled still. I never put the transformation down to just Bruno - but he was a major factor as his introduction clearly had a marked transformative effect on the existing team's performances. It's actually nonsensical and an impressive feat of mental gymnastics to try and deny that.

Anyways, you do you, we don't have to agree - I just feel in terms of an immediate impact, Bruno's was as good as any.

Someone

Something
Will prove to be one of the most important signings in the history of the club, simply because were missing every thing he's offering right now in terms of performance, mentality, experience, and personality. This is crucial for our revival hopes.

Pascal Quiff

Supports
Liverpool
Good player but the comparisons with Keane at this stage are frankly ridiculous

Raoul

Admin
Staff
10/10 Arguably the best midfielder in the world when we bought him and hasn't disappointed one bit.

Someone

Something
:lol: Let's see how long he lasts at the top level before we start talking history.
His importance won't be based on his longevity with the club, but rather the timing. We'll sign better players in the future that might not have the same impact. Think of him like a cup of water when you're lost in the desert.

FYI - Rashford was not back after lockdown, he was playing most games before Bruno joined.
Rashford missed seven league games with a back injury that would have put him out for the season if not for the Covid break. At the time we signed Bruno, he wasn't expected to play again in 2019/20 (probably another reason, along with the back-to-back losses against Burnley and Liverpool, that we rushed to sign Fernandes in January).

Not that I disagree with the overall point. I don't see how anyone could object so strongly to saying Fernandes had a transformative impact on our season - a lot of the other players hit form during the post-lockdown phase, but he was the catalyst. The improvement had already started before the lockdown too: we picked up 10 points out of 12 in the last few games before the break (before Pogba and Rashford were back and with Greenwood still peripheral), with Fernandes playing key roles in virtually every game, including massive wins against Chelsea and City.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Of course he had an impact on the players around him:
A hattrick among Martial's vastly improved goal return after Bruno's introduction does nothing to discredit the fact that Martial benefited greatly.

We saw Pogba play under a lot of pressure to create due to being the only creative outlet, so I disagree that Bruno had no effect on him.

Rashford has mentioned that with Bruno on the pitch he feels he can keep making runs and he'll be found.

With a prolific creator in the side, Matic could focus more on his job - beyond this specific debate players have impacts directly or indirectly on their colleagues, you don't need me to explain that, I'm sure.

Again all the players you mention in your "gulf in class" bracket (bar Pogba - who existed prior to his injury lest we forget) were mostly in the squad and playing before Bruno arrived - and the team struggled still. I never put the transformation down to just Bruno - but he was a major factor as his introduction clearly had a marked transformative effect on the existing team's performances. It's actually nonsensical and an impressive feat of mental gymnastics to try and deny that.

Anyways, you do you, we don't have to agree - I just feel in terms of an immediate impact, Bruno's was as good as any.
Rashford got injured in the Norwich game on 1/11/19 and wasn’t fit again until after lockdown.

Nobody is saying that Bruno wasn’t a huge upgrade on Pereira or Lingard but he wasn’t the only change in that side. We wouldn’t have had the results we had if the team was

mct
Fred
Bruno
James
Martial
Pereira/Mata

If you want to believe that the improvement came from one man and we were a one man team then by all means you do you. It’s the same as people blaming Ronaldo for everything that went wrong last season...absolute nonsense.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Rashford missed seven league games with a back injury that would have put him out for the season if not for the Covid break. At the time we signed Bruno, he wasn't expected to play again in 2019/20 (probably another reason, along with the back-to-back losses against Burnley and Liverpool, that we rushed to sign Fernandes in January).

Not that I disagree with the overall point. I don't see how anyone could object so strongly to saying Fernandes had a transformative impact on our season - a lot of the other players hit form during the post-lockdown phase, but he was the catalyst. The improvement had already started before the lockdown too: we picked up 10 points out of 12 in the last few games before the break (before Pogba and Rashford were back and with Greenwood still peripheral), with Fernandes playing key roles in virtually every game, including massive wins against Chelsea and City.
If you randomly ignore the Wolves game for some reason ? Otherwise we got 11 from 15. The next 5 games we got 14 from 15.

I think Bruno was our best player in that period. He was brilliant. But he wasn’t the only reason or a one man team and he wasn’t the reason for other players playing well. Pogba Matic Rashford Martial had all played as well at many points prior to Bruno coming in and there is no denying that the team we were playing prior to signing Bruno was poor and not a patch on what we put out EVERY game after lockdown. But yeah sure it was all down to one player.

dinostar77

Will prove to be one of the most important signings in the history of the club, simply because were missing every thing he's offering right now in terms of performance, mentality, experience, and personality. This is crucial for our revival hopes.
Same could be said of eriksen. Our top four hopes rely more on him staying fit and on form tham casemiro ( who has been fantastic).

If you randomly ignore the Wolves game for some reason? Otherwise we got 11 from 15. The next 5 games we got 14 from 15.

I think Bruno was our best player in that period. He was brilliant. But he wasn’t the only reason or a one man team and he wasn’t the reason for other players playing well. Pogba Matic Rashford Martial had all played as well at many points prior to Bruno coming in and there is no denying that the team we were playing prior to signing Bruno was poor and not a patch on what we put out EVERY game after lockdown. But yeah sure it was all down to one player.
No, we got 13 (: And the relevant comparison to make to show that we'd already started improving before lockdown isn't the next 5 games, it's the previous 5, i.e. before we signed Fernandes - we'd picked up 6 points out of 15.

Pointless argument anyway, seeing as we seem to be agreeing on most things.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
No, we got 13 (: And the relevant comparison to make to show that we'd already started improving before lockdown isn't the next 5 games, it's the previous 5, i.e. before we signed Fernandes - we'd picked up 6 points out of 15.

Pointless argument anyway, seeing as we seem to be agreeing on most things.
Ah the games we played with McFred, James, Lingard, pereira? Yeah not really surprising that.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
He’s been a good signing. He’s a top player. He’s got a super attitude on the pitch. He’s a leader.
But ask me again in May.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Rooney was our leading goal scorer that season in the league and overall. His goal against Middlesbrrough in the FA Cup was voted goal of the season. Voted PFA young player of the year 04/05.

Man Utd vs Arsenal - 2-0 Got fouled in the box. RvN Converts the penalty. Scored the second goal. At that time Arsenal were our main rival. This stopped Arsenal’s 49 game unbeaten run.

Vs Newcastle away - 3-1 Rooney 2 goals.

Vs Liverpool away - 1-0 Rooney 1 goal

Vs Birmingham - 2-0 Rooney 1 goal

Vs Man City away - 2-0 Rooney 1 goal

Vs Portmouth - 2-1 Rooney 2 goals

Vs Newcastle - 2-1 Rooney 1 goal. And what a goal that was. Amazing!

And that's just part of Rooney's goal contributions. He was so much more then that. His all around play was amazing. From defending, linking up play, passing, and finishing. Most exciting debut season of any player I have seen besides Cantona.
Not a hell of a lot of impact there then as I said. My post was in reply to someone claiming Rooney’s debut season was on par with RVP and Cantona for impact. You’ve picked out 4/5ths of all his league goals (8) to highlight impact.

The season finished trophyless (only our fourth trophyless season in 17 seasons) we finished third in the Premier League, despite Rio returning from a ban and the CL campaign ended in the first knockout round.

The season previous we finished third also, with Rio’s ban affecting the second half of the season. We got further in the CL and won the FA Cup. Ruud was top scorer with 30 goals.

So again....what impact did Rooney have? All I’m seeing is what I felt at the time, in that Rooney was an excellent player, on par with Scholes for me, but massively overrated with ridiculous comparisons to the likes of Pele. It would be no surprise to anyone that Rooney would win individual awards back then. A five yard pass was treated as a miracle and 11 league goals, 17 overall for a CF was considered as a similar impact to RVP and Cantona.

Consider the impact those two had and compare that to Rooneys impact objectively....there’s no comparison. You might have loved the player but his impact was minimal when you look at where we were before and immediately after.

TMS

He's given the team what fans have been crying out for basically since Carrick retired and certainly since Pogba started his 2nd stint with the club. It's a shame we didn't get to see Pogba play with Casemiro as it finally would have given us a definitive answer of whether he could have effectively played in a two man midfield. If he couldn't have done the job with Casemiro next to him then there would have been no hope.

RedIan

Most transformational signing ever was Cantona..
Casamiro is also a transformational signing and he has been superb, the CDM we have needed for many years. Yes he has helped transform mentality along with Martinez, helped more than a little by ETH. Its the managers mentality thats really transformational. ETH hunger to succeed is immense
We finally made the right choice but ultimately he will be judged on siverware.

Red Rash

8/10 signing in my opinion based on the season so far. He has been immense and exactly the kind of player we need who has a combination of skill, desire and leadership skills. If he keeps this level up he could easily be a 9/10 in the future.

Hopefully we get a good 4 or 5 years out of him. Since he has such good positional awareness and technical skills I wouldn't expect him to suddenly fall of a cliff in terms of performances as he ages.

jackal&hyde

The best all round CM I've seen at United since Keane. He comes across as a balanced guy in his sporting life so I hope he will keep it up for at least another 3 or 4 years.