Hunting endangered species

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Who sees a Giraffe and goes, "I'll kill it just for the feck of it?"
No one really, it was most probably selected to be culled then the right to do the culling sold off to some crazy American with more money than sense.

Nucks

RT History Department
That giraffe was similar to the Rhino earlier in the thread if I am not mistaken. He was a giant old bull who was no longer able to impregnate females, and was massacring young bulls in rutting fights. Dunno if people know this, but male Giraffes fight each other in brutal fashion, and death is not uncommon. This bull was really big, and really good, and killing young bulls who were just becoming sexually mature and testing their luck.

In any case, I'm not really sure how I feel about the idea of big game hunters funding conservation and anti-poaching. Well, I know how I feel about it, I think it's ridiculous. However, the issue isn't black and white. Until governments make it a priority to fund these conservation and anti-poaching programs in a way that actually matters (and I don't think they do), selling big game hunts is a dark, but effective way to protect the larger population.

Someone mentioned how much money regular tourism brings in versus hunting tourism, that's great and all, but until that tourism is shunting money directly to these anti-poaching conservation efforts, which they clearly are not, it's not really relevant. In a lot of cases what is happening is, these conservation programs, are directly reaching out to the actual poachers, and offering them employment to protect the animals rather than kill them. These safari type tours as far as I know, are not attacking the issue directly by hiring the guys who kill the animals to protect them rather than kill them. In that regard it's a pretty successful way to deal with it.

Basically, until governments make it a priority to fund these programs, which I don't think they do, there has to be something that is devoted to countering poaching, and these trophy hunts as gross as they are, are something that funds these efforts. Of course, I'm always skeptical that they (hunters) are rationalizing this in a way to make it seem like the lesser of two evils, and I am sure that that happens. However, I've seen enough programs on the subject, done by people who don't seem vested in selling it as a positive, that describe the impact buying the poachers off by giving them jobs actually has.

Cloud7

80% of trophy hunters are American. Wow.

It's no excuse, but when your country's leaders best bid to combat the 100s of mass shootings that happen every year is to add more guns to the mix, then it's probably not a surprise.
No offense intended to our resident Americans, but anytime I imagine a trophy hunter, like not seeing a picture of one, but think of the words trophy hunter, I always imagine an American. It just seems like such an American thing to enjoy. Goes hand in hand with the gun obsession I suppose.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
No offense intended to our resident Americans, but anytime I imagine a trophy hunter, like not seeing a picture of one, but think of the words trophy hunter, I always imagine an American. It just seems like such an American thing to enjoy. Goes hand in hand with the gun obsession I suppose.
Hunting big game is part of American history, I used to hunt but I decided with my son not to anymore besides rabbits and wild boars, the problem is we don't have wild boars in New Jersey and very few places to hunt and overcrowded, so the last time I renewed my license was probably 7-8 years ago. Today I only enjoy shooting on ranges.

MarylandMUFan

That giraffe was similar to the Rhino earlier in the thread if I am not mistaken. He was a giant old bull who was no longer able to impregnate females, and was massacring young bulls in rutting fights. Dunno if people know this, but male Giraffes fight each other in brutal fashion, and death is not uncommon. This bull was really big, and really good, and killing young bulls who were just becoming sexually mature and testing their luck.

In any case, I'm not really sure how I feel about the idea of big game hunters funding conservation and anti-poaching. Well, I know how I feel about it, I think it's ridiculous. However, the issue isn't black and white. Until governments make it a priority to fund these conservation and anti-poaching programs in a way that actually matters (and I don't think they do), selling big game hunts is a dark, but effective way to protect the larger population.

Someone mentioned how much money regular tourism brings in versus hunting tourism, that's great and all, but until that tourism is shunting money directly to these anti-poaching conservation efforts, which they clearly are not, it's not really relevant. In a lot of cases what is happening is, these conservation programs, are directly reaching out to the actual poachers, and offering them employment to protect the animals rather than kill them. These safari type tours as far as I know, are not attacking the issue directly by hiring the guys who kill the animals to protect them rather than kill them. In that regard it's a pretty successful way to deal with it.

Basically, until governments make it a priority to fund these programs, which I don't think they do, there has to be something that is devoted to countering poaching, and these trophy hunts as gross as they are, are something that funds these efforts. Of course, I'm always skeptical that they (hunters) are rationalizing this in a way to make it seem like the lesser of two evils, and I am sure that that happens. However, I've seen enough programs on the subject, done by people who don't seem vested in selling it as a positive, that describe the impact buying the poachers off by giving them jobs actually has.
You are correct. I don't even kill insects in my house but I understand what is going on here. The government needs to put down the old male and decided to make some $ on it that can go towards conservation. It's gross but in the end, it's good for the species.

Fingeredmouse

You are correct. I don't even kill insects in my house but I understand what is going on here. The government needs to put down the old male and decided to make some $ on it that can go towards conservation. It's gross but in the end, it's good for the species.
Irrespective, she's still a cnut.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Pulling the trigger on a defenceless animal does not make you a brave hunter, it makes you a cnut.

If you want my respect, throw away the gun and run up to a lion, tiger, bear and fight it bare knuckle.

Carolina Red

Staff
Hunting endangered species is stupid. Poaching is abhorrent.

Being a conservationist hunter who eats their kill is different though.

Lumping them all together is folly.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
:lol:

You a vegetarian?
Not at all pal. I just don’t agree with trophy hunting.

Like I said before, literally any human being on the planet could look through the sight of a gun and pull the trigger (with a bit of training). That isn’t impressive to me.

Carolina Red

Staff
Not at all pal. I just don’t agree with trophy hunting.

Like I said before, literally any human being on the planet could look through the sight of a gun and pull the trigger (with a bit of training). That isn’t impressive to me.
It would be helpful if you distinguished between trophy hunters and “for food” hunters next time you decide to call them cnuts.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
So they hunt, then eat the food.

Hmmmmm
I already explained the distinction in the rest of the paragraph. The vast majority of people don't garden for food either. They do it because they like gardening. If it was just about the food, hunters and gardeners could easily obtain the food for less price and less effort but they choose to engage in the activities because they like it, not because it is necessary to keep themselves fed.

Carolina Red

Staff
I already explained the distinction in the rest of the paragraph. The vast majority of people don't garden for food either. They do it because they like gardening. If it was just about the food, hunters and gardeners could easily obtain the food for less price and less effort but they choose to engage in the activities because they like it, not because it is necessary to keep themselves fed.
“The distinction” my ass.

Carolina Red

Staff
Back on topic...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wildli...southern-district-new-york-fish-and-wildlife/

U.S. law enforcement agencies have taken down a smuggling network accused of trafficking at least $7 million dollars worth of rhino horn and elephant tusk — as well as heroin — around the world. The bust is the first major success for a small group of people trying to shift the narrative on the illegal wildlife trade. These indictments are proof, they say, that the criminals who threaten the world's endangered species are also a direct threat to our safety as humans.

Eboue

But you do eat meat for food. Because what the hell else is it? So kindly do one with the semantic posturing.
im stunned how you arent getting this simple point. yes i eat meat because i enjoy it. just like hunters eat it because they enjoy. so its something that can be done or not done by choice. so its practically a hobby. so there isnt all that much difference between hunting for food or sport because they are both just post facto justifications for the fact that some people like hunting. its not a moral quest to feed your family. its just a hobby.

Carolina Red

Staff
im stunned how you arent getting this simple point. yes i eat meat because i enjoy it. just like hunters eat it because they enjoy. so its something that can be done or not done by choice. so its practically a hobby. so there isnt all that much difference between hunting for food or sport because they are both just post facto justifications for the fact that some people like hunting. its not a moral quest to feed your family. its just a hobby.
I’m not missing the point. The point is stupid.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I assume you shop “for enjoyment” because you could just clothe your family by raising sheep, sheering the wool, spinning thread, and sewing it yourself.
his point is extremely simple. when youre eating you have a choice between not contributing to animal deaths, or doing so. if you recognise that choice and choose to do it anyway, it's because you think the enjoyment of the meat is worth more than the animal deaths. the enjoyment of the meat is also what food hunters get. the enjoyment of the kill is what trophy hunters get.
it is a choice based on your enjoyment, not on need.

Carolina Red

Staff
his point is extremely simple. when youre eating you have a choice between not contributing to animal deaths, or doing so. if you recognise that choice and choose to do it anyway, it's because you think the enjoyment of the meat is worth more than the animal deaths. the enjoyment of the meat is also what food hunters get. the enjoyment of the kill is what trophy hunters get.
it is a choice based on your enjoyment, not on need.
Bud, I’m well aware of what his point is. I just think it’s stupid.

“The enjoyment of plant death is what vegetarians get”

No, dammit, that’s stupid. Food is what they get.

Eboue

I assume you shop “for enjoyment” because you could just clothe your family by raising sheep, sheering the wool, spinning thread, and sewing it yourself.
so you dont get the point after all.

i buy blankets to keep warm because its more convenient for me. people who knit blankets do it not to keep warm but because its a hobby they enjoy. if all they cared about was keeping warm they could buy a blanket for ten bucks instead of spending 10 hours making one.

this is obviously true. now lets try that same paragraph again with some slight adjustments.

i buy blankets meat to keep fed because its more convenient for me. people who knit blankets hunt animals do it not to keep warm fed but because its a hobby they enjoy. if all they cared about was keeping warm fed they could buy a blanket meat for ten bucks instead of spending 10 hours hunting animals making one

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Bud, I’m well aware of what his point is. I just think it’s stupid.

“The enjoyment of plant death is what vegetarians get”

No, dammit, that’s stupid. Food is what they get.
if you think plant death is in any way comparable to animal death i don't think you can call others' points stupid.

Carolina Red

Staff
if you think plant death is in any way comparable to animal death i don't think you can call others' points stupid.
Oh my god. I was obviously using that as a rhetorical device. Of course I don’t think that, hence the line directly after the quote explaining why that’s a stupid notion. I also don’t see a difference in animal deaths caused by my .30-06 and animal deaths caused by a bolt to the back of the head if they’re both going to be eaten.