ICC Cricket World Cup 2023

JohnnyKills

This is absolutely fecking atrocious.

9/4 in the last 27 balls.

I was telling @JohnnyKills Mott probably has enough credit in the bank from last year to survive this but i really don't know now.
Yeah. Given we won the T20 WC it's fair enough to give him the next one. But I reckon we have to get to the final for him to keep his job (unless we're incredibly unlucky in the semis).

JohnnyKills

Well I think it probably depends on the margin of defeats for if it gets to a new low but yeah the damage was ultimately done before today.

I just think we've been a badly organised mess from top to bottom. He could have no complaints if he was sacked.
The whole Roy-Brook-Malan mess should have set alarm bells ringing really.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
This squad needs a massive refresh. Can't be building around Malan, Buttler, Bairstow, Root, Stokes, etc. This whole outfit is desperate for new players to take the bull by the horns. We need to be phasing players out rather than hitting the wall like this.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Seems loads of dew, I think it's gonna be close match.

KM

This squad needs a massive refresh. Can't be building around Malan, Buttler, Bairstow, Root, Stokes, etc. This whole outfit is desperate for new players to take the bull by the horns. We need to be phasing players out rather than hitting the wall like this.

Luckily you've two of the best young hitters around in Salt and Brooks.

KM

Well just saw our leaked lineup against City. India better win today ffs.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Silly bringing Stokes back. Was a non entity this World Cup. That spot could have gone to Jacks who’s a genuine batting all rounder or potentially Salt if you need some power hitting up top.

Was Jason Roy injured or dropped? He should have kept his spot - he might have been in iffy form but he’s proven.

paulscholes18

Silly bringing Stokes back. Was a non entity this World Cup. That spot could have gone to Jacks who’s a genuine batting all rounder or potentially Salt if you need some power hitting up top.

Was Jason Roy injured or dropped? He should have kept his spot - he might have been in iffy form but he’s proven.
Roy got dropped for Harry Brook

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
England so poor. This has got to be the worst defence of a title in cricket.

charlton66

Supports
Golden State
I was hoping England would make a game of it so I'd have an excuse to not watch United.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
If England fail to qualify for the Champions Trophy, I can’t see how Mott or Buttler can justify their position.

If the performances were by an associate nation, we would be saying that teams like this should be nowhere near the tournament.

JohnnyKills

If England fail to qualify for the Champions Trophy, I can’t see how Mott or Buttler can justify their position.

If the performances were by an associate nation, we would be saying that teams like this should be nowhere near the tournament.
Indeed

Djemba-Djemba

I only just found out about the Champions Trophy thing and I agree.

If we finish bottom 2 and aren't in that Mott at least should be sacked and serious questions asked about Buttler as skipper. 5 defeats out of 6 and all 5 absolute hammerings.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Christ that Utd game was a tough watch. Anyway how did England get on with that winnable chase....ah...

gajender

This is all set up for another Aussie World Cup win. India likely to play them in the semis and we all know Aussies will be favorites then.
India might end up losing against Aussies in Semifinal but I don't think any team is taking field against India as favourites in this Tournament not by a long shot .

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
India might end up losing against Aussies in Semifinal but I don't think any team is taking field against India as favourites in this Tournament not by a long shot .
It's a fact noone will be. Unless they are struck down by a plague.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Went to sleep before the England innings and woke up to the carnage. Wow, the Indian pacers were on fire. The strangling of runs, and the discipline to hit the consistent line and length is remarkable. It bodes well that our SKY and our lower order could add some crucial runs which turned into scoreboard pressure after the first 4 wickets fell in a flurry.

Perhaps I was too harsh on Rahul for trying to rack up a Pujara-esque run rate - him sticking around while Rohit did the scoring clearly made the difference. :nervous:

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Went to sleep before the England innings and woke up to the carnage. Wow, the Indian pacers were on fire. The strangling of runs, and the discipline to hit the consistent line and length is remarkable. It bodes well that our SKY and our lower order could add some crucial runs which turned into scoreboard pressure after the first 4 wickets fell in a flurry.

Perhaps I was too harsh on Rahul for trying to rack up a Pujara-esque run rate - him sticking around while Rohit did the scoring clearly made the difference. :nervous:
Very nice of you to attribute that England batting performance to brilliant bowling.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Very nice of you to attribute that England batting performance to brilliant bowling.
I'm sure that the English batters could have done a bit better, but some of those dismissals were unplayable. Kuldeep's turn and Bumrah's one staying low and cutting back off the top of my head. The pitch had demons in it in the second innings, no doubt.

SB16

When people talk about problems in the management structure in your ODI setup, this is symptomatic of it. How do you have ECB members join the board meeting in *Nov. 2021* and not have that information filter through to your coaching staff / players within two years?

IRN-BRUno

Now 10 dismissals in 17 powerplay innings and the average is down to 5. Makes no difference now I guess but Stokes should bat 3 for the rest of the tournament.
I'm getting obsessed with this stat but now 11 dismissals in 18 at an average of 4.55.

It's so bad that I'm surprised it hasn't been highlighted more. Forget Stokes at 3, might as well have Monty Panesar batting there for all Root is offering. Lose a wicket in the first 10 overs and at the moment it's a guarantee there's another coming straight away.

AshRK

I am still shocked by the shot selection of stokes. What was he trying to do, especially against a bowler like shami who was bowling at his best.

MDFC Manager

What an excellent, professional chase this has been so far. Excellent stuff.

Hope they win here

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Afghanistan are really showing up the likes of Pakistan, England, Bangladesh.

What an excellent tournament it's been for them. Slimmish chance they can make the SFs as well!

ColvaleGoa

This is all set up for another Aussie World Cup win. India likely to play them in the semis and we all know Aussies will be favorites then.

Not favourites for Semis but they are just coming to boil at the right time. Typical Australia, they will win the Cup.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
So Australia and New Zealand both on 8 points and Afghanistan with 6, three games left for all of them. I wonder if there is a way Afghanistan can sneak in somehow.

NZ yet to play SA, Pak and SL.
Aus yet to play Eng, Afghans and Ban
Afghans yet to play Ned, Aus and SA.

That Aus v Afg game will be interesting, and it could definitely go down to the last game.