If Giggs is not the next manager, do you want him to stay?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
No top 6 clubs would want to take a punt on him, relegation candidates at best.

He really needs to pull a SAF/Mou type of glory against all odds to even be considered for top 6, then probably United someday.
If that's what it will take, so be it. He'll have no shortage of offers and should be grateful if a club gives him a shot in management.

Hammerfell

Why are people so set in thinking that Giggs has to be our manager at some point? It's like they've never considered the extremely real possibility that he could be shite. All this talk about letting go for experience and him coming back later smacks of utter stupidity to me. It's like people have decided that he's going to one of the greats and merely needs time to find his way. He could be the worst manager for all you guys know.
I'll be honest, I'm not expecting him to do well if he leaves. He doesn't strike me as manager material; if he did leave I wouldn't expect him to come back, at least not in a managerial capacity.

spwd

He needs to start building his managerial career now, and in my opinion only (before people start taking my thoughts out of context) - it should be away from United. He needs to start implementing his philosophy and gaining much needed experience. Most importantly, he needs to leave his comfort zone and challenge himself. If he doesn't, it will reinforce the idea that some fans have that he's just waiting for the job to be given to him, instead of earning it.

He also needs to leave for the good of the club because he's a distraction - a bad one. If he weren't, we wouldn't be discussing him so much. All the constant speculation about his future does not help the manager or players. I would venture, that any new manager that comes in will find this extremely uncomfortable, knowing the moment things go wrong, the press will start speculating that your assistant will probably be getting your job.
Couldn't agree more, if he's not prepared to do that then he's not mentally strong enough for the massive job he's trying to inherit, if he couldn't sleep managing 4 games how's he going to cope with the full time position, this is why he needs to go elsewhere, he may actually realise it's not for him.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Coaching qualifications are the same across Europe. It's called a UEFA Pro License. Where it's obtained is irrelevant they've passed the same course as everyone else. Dismissing somebody because of where they are from is out of order and shouldn't be acceptable.
Well explain to me then why Spain, Italy and Germany are producing quality managers and Britain is not. Somewhere somehow in the British football setup is not working well.

And no its not a matter of discrimination. I have no qualms in having a British coach who had got their coaching badges and coaching experience in lets say Spain. Actually I would prefer that person then lets say a Spanish person with the same experience/badges as the former guy knows the language and football mentality well.

ZupZup

This thread appears to be getting a little derailed... like any thread where Giggs is mentioned of late.

Anyway, in answer to the OP... I would want whomever the new manager is to make that decision themselves. Giggs should obviously not be forced on a new manager but at the same time, if the new manager wanted to have Giggs in their team... then that is their call.

acnumber9

Well explain to me then why Spain, Italy and Germany are producing quality managers and Britain is not. Somewhere somehow in the British football setup is not working well.

And no its not a matter of discrimination. I have no qualms in having a British coach who had got their coaching badges and coaching experience in lets say Spain. Actually I would prefer that person then lets say a Spanish person with the same experience/badges as the former guy knows the language and football mentality well.
It could be a number of things. Much like players and teams things tend to work in cycles. Writing somebody off because of where they come from is out of order though. Would you like it if you were told you couldn't have a job because people from your country haven't been very good at it recently?

Where they obtain the badges is irrelevant. They are the same.

devilish

He didn't even get time to train the u19s as a group since half of them were playing u18s and the other half u21s. Using 1 game in isolation to try to prove anything is pointless and especially the game against PSV is extrenely pointless since we were missing some important players before the game, had 3 players go off injured early in the game and a couple more had to stay on with injuries. We also beat PSV 3-0 in the away game, destroyed CSKA in the home game but couldn't score and drew 0-0 and were tactically brilliant in a win in the last game of the group against Wolfsburg. Either way using using the results of games against Butt is pretty pointless since he's not going to be managing teams or making tactical decisions as head of the academy and even if his role was as a coach his ability as a manager has no bearing on how good of a coach he is. He hasn't just been handed the head of the academy role either, he's been doing it on a temporary basis and has already overseen some big changes and improvements, part of which has been to remove the old school jobs for the boys mentality and a few people have already been released. He was the first choice for the job and fully deserves it from what I've heard
The does sound the law of Murphy lame excuse isn't it?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

And France doesn't?

devilish

It could be a number of things. Much like players and teams things tend to work in cycles. Writing somebody off because of where they come from is out of order though. Would you like it if you were told you couldn't have a job because people from your country haven't been very good at it recently?

Where they obtain the badges is irrelevant. They are the same.
Well those number of things seem quite important considering that in the past 20 years Britain had developed the likes of Moyes, Rodgers and Big Sam while others had been busy producing managers like Pep, Conte, Enrique, Ancelotti and Klopp.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No, he needs to go IMO, and not because I have some deep-rooted hatred for one of our greatest players. Rather I think it's an unhealthy situation when someone on the coaching staff has desires of managing the club especially when he is a big name and fan-favorite. It was somewhat acceptable when we hired a 67 year old in the last few years of his career, but to slap Giggs on Mourinho as a mandatory furniture of his coaching staff would be incredible unfair and thoughtless of us. I can see it also leading to unnecessary confrontation and controversy, if not in reality, then definitely in the eyes of pundits and the media. It is IMO best to have someone like Phelan/Queroz as assistant manager. Someone largely anonymous. Someone non-threatening. Someone noone really takes seriously as manager (except Real Madrid lol). Basically, whoever Jose anyway has as part of his staff.

jb8521

The does sound the law of Murphy lame excuse isn't it?
No it just sounds like you are basing your opinions on assumptions rather than any knowledge of what's going on with the youth set up or Nicky Butt

Last edited:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Giggs' position is a matter for Van Gaal or whoever is manager next season if Van Gaal gets the boot, not for a bunch of people acting like pre-menstrual schoolgirls.

We on the outside have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of Giggs' abilities or what he brings to the position he holds, so screaming for his head with some paranoid rant about the Class of 92 is just downright embarrassing.

This hatred of Giggs really is getting out of hand. What next, a scaffold outside Old Trafford?
I have to say I agree with your sentiments. Although I'd have wrote it more diplomatically. Im sure a lot of the posters supporting United are doing so because what the class of 92 achieved for the club. Some respect would be good.

devilish

No it just sounds like you are basing your opinions on assumptions rather than any knowledge of what's going on with the youth set up or Nicky Butt
I am basing myself on results. Butt's results with the U19 wasn't that great. It reminds of the Nevs were doing at Valencia before Pako was signed up to help them up. Which may explain why he was given a role in which doesn't seem to include coaching in it.

Last edited:

RustyS

I feel that a big part of wanting Giggs as manager (for those who do) is the fear that he will go somewhere and fail miserably, putting him permanently out of the picture for the United job in the long term.

Should he stay as assistant or coach? I don't know and neither do I care tbh. I think it would be better for him to go to a bottom 10 side or even a promising championship side and test himself as a manager but that is his decision, not mine.

On the flip side, if he doesn't want to leave then he should accept whatever role he is given by the club and not have some special expectations.

acnumber9

Well those number of things seem quite important considering that in the past 20 years Britain had developed the likes of Moyes, Rodgers and Big Sam while others had been busy producing managers like Pep, Conte, Enrique, Ancelotti and Klopp.
Ok. And Scotland once produced top managers and good players too. Things don't stay the same forever and dismissing people because of where they are from is blatant discrimination and you're regularly guilty of it. I asked a question of how you'd feel about being turned down for a job because of where you are from and you wouldn't answer it. I'm guessing I know the answer already.

Amir

I really don't see how him staying benefits anyone.
It benefits him, because if he's a part of the system there's a chance he'll end up landing the top job sometime when there aren't better options. If he leaves and takes over a managerial role somewhere, the chances of him doing well enough for us to appoint him in the future aren't high.

It doesn't benefit us, though. This is starting to become a bit of a shadow. People are talking about the possibility of Giggs having refused to replace Van Gaal temporarily until the end of the season. But for that, he'd have to have been asked. So we've got an assistant who knows we wanted the manager gone. Maybe it never happened, I hope it never happened. If it did, it's highly unhealthy.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Like someone else said, he's been a common factor during our worst years. It's obviously hard to know how he affects the team but I think I'd rather he left for now.

I would've preferred Giggs to go into a coaching role and guide players into the 'United way' in that regard, but that's obviously beneath him now.

Tyrion

If the new manager wants to bring in his own people then Giggs should go.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I get the impression that Ryan's only really interested in being a Manchester United manager, rather than a manager in general.

Last edited:

LeftyBlaster

I feel that a big part of wanting Giggs as manager (for those who do) is the fear that he will go somewhere and fail miserably, putting him permanently out of the picture for the United job in the long term.

Should he stay as assistant or coach? I don't know and neither do I care tbh. I think it would be better for him to go to a bottom 10 side or even a promising championship side and test himself as a manager but that is his decision, not mine.

On the flip side, if he doesn't want to leave then he should accept whatever role he is given by the club and not have some special expectations.
Again I ask. Why the feck does it matter? Why is it compulsory for those said people that he be considered a must-appointment? Why must Giggs be considered a compulsory United manager in the future? It makes zero sense. Nobody has any inkling of how good or bad a manager he'll be. People are just assuming he will be a good one, or have this misguided notion that he has to be part of our future because he was an ex-player. Silly.

We need an rvn

why not manager of the reserves / U21s and do a few years making management decisions - but at least he'll still be with the club, pass on his knowledge to the kids and also if he does get to step up he'll be familiar with the current squad / players still.

for me, that's the choice i'd want to do rather than go manage relegation battlers

devilish

Ok. And Scotland once produced top managers and good players too. Things don't stay the same forever and dismissing people because of where they are from is blatant discrimination and you're regularly guilty of it. I asked a question of how you'd feel about being turned down for a job because of where you are from and you wouldn't answer it. I'm guessing I know the answer already.
No one is suggesting that race or nationality is the issue. That would be stupid. However there had been a drought in terms of managerial talent for the past 10-20 years which clearly suggest that somewhere somehow is failing to give these people the necessary skills needed to become decent managers and coaches. Until that is sorted then I guess we better off relying on people who got their coaching badges elsewhere.

acnumber9

No one is suggesting that race or nationality is the issue. That would be stupid. However there had been a drought in terms of managerial talent for the past 10-20 years which clearly suggest that somewhere somehow is failing to give these people the necessary skills needed to become decent managers and coaches. Until that is sorted then I guess we better off relying on people who got their coaching badges elsewhere.
The coaching badges are exactly the same. You aren't acknowledging that at all. It's all down to nationality here because others from that country have failed you're determining they will too.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We're having 2 years of "will or will not Giggs becomes the next manager", so having him with us does have its effect.
And that's the reason why I think he needs to leave.
Certainly, he should not be part of the management, but he could continue in a non-management role.
If he wants a management role, then he should go elsewhere.

Moyes and LVG (both experienced managers) have failed. Apparently some people now want someone with no experience to try and do the job that 2 experienced managers have failed at.
It's a recipe for disaster.

jb8521

I am basing myself on results. Butt's results with the U19 wasn't that great. It reminds of the Nevs were doing at Valencia before Pako was signed up to help them up. Which may explain why he was given a role in which doesn't seem to include coaching in it.
They're not in any way comparable though since the situations have nothing to do with each other. Butt managed a team which he got no time to actually coach and won 2 games drew 2 and lost 2. You seem to be confusing the work of a coach with the work of a manager since you're basing your opinion of his coaching skills on match results and 1 result against PSV in which United had a far younger team with 8 17 year olds in the team, were without 3 of their starting 4 defenders and had to take off 3 players with injury including their keeper. The idea that every member of the class of 92 should be grouped together rather than judged on their individual merits is every bit as ridiculous as those who presume Giggs will be a great manager just because he was a great player.

devilish

The coaching badges are exactly the same. You aren't acknowledging that at all. It's all down to nationality here because others from that country have failed you're determining they will too.
If they get the same exact education then how come Italy/Spain/Germany/France are producing decent managers and Britain isn't? We're not talking here about 1-2 years, we've talking here about 20 years if not more. SAF is probably the last world class manager Britain had produced

Loon

:lol:
I'd like him to go and prove a lot of doubters (myself included) wrong and be a great manager. One who we will be courting in a few years.

Julian Denny

I think there's still a chance that Ed thinks he should be the next manager. The latter's comments on Nicky Butt being "United through and through" and "United is in his blood" etc gave a clue as to how the CEO views the class of 92. Nevertheless its far too much of a risk and with Pep going to City the only way to respond is to appoint Mourinho as LvG's replacement. Players will want to come and play for JM but for Ryan - I doubt it. Far better for Giggsy to actually go and manage elsewhere, be successful hopefully and the club can then look at him again when JM leaves in three seasons time having restored some competitiveness and pride at United !

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I get the impression that Ryan's only really interested in being a Manchester United manager, rather than a manager in general.
I get the feeling he knows that taking a job elsewhere will likely end all possibility of him ever being United manager. His best chance is as an experiment. The moment he leaves for another club he becomes another Hughes, Bruce, Solskjaer, Neville... the list goes on.

SteveJ

Scout
I get the feeling he knows that taking a job elsewhere will likely end all possibility of him ever being United manager. His best chance is as an experiment. The moment he leaves for another club he becomes another Hughes, Bruce, Solskjaer, Neville... the list goes on.
If he actually thinks like that, he'd surely realise that he's not qualified for the United job; at the very least, his bosses should realise it. ATM, him not seeking or being told to seek experience elsewhere feels like a cover-up of what he & his superiors believe/fear is actually a mediocre managerial talent. Otherwise, why not publicly prove that he has what it takes for the United position - surely, if he actually has what it takes, it could only increase the support for him being our boss?

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't care either way, though it is a decision that the new manager should make. We absolutely should not force him to get Giggs as part of his stuff.

Saying that, if Giggs is serious about becoming our manager in the future, he should leave and prove himself. Being an assistant manager doesn't show enough that he can be a good manager.

acnumber9

If they get the same exact education then how come Italy/Spain/Germany/France are producing decent managers and Britain isn't? We're not talking here about 1-2 years, we've talking here about 20 years if not more. SAF is probably the last world class manager Britain had produced
It's a question I don't have an answer to. Every manager in Europe needs the same coaching qualifications though. It's called a UEFA Pro License for a reason.

acnumber9

If he actually thinks like that, he'd surely realise that he's not qualified for the United job; at the very least, his bosses should realise it. ATM, him not seeking or being told to seek experience elsewhere feels like a cover-up of what he & his superiors believe/fear is actually a mediocre managerial talent. Otherwise, why not publicly prove that he has what it takes for the United position - surely, if he actually has what it takes, it could only increase the support for him being our boss?
What would he need to achieve to prove it though? Being a good manager at a club like Everton has already been shown to not be sufficient. Experience in the lower reaches isn't always going to be useful in judging if somebody can mix it at the highest level.

itso 7

If that was the case then that should be it especially considering the he and his backers "love" United and "have the club's best interests at heart".

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
We can't hang onto him just because of what he achieved with his playing career.
If he is intent on becoming a manager then he needs to start at a smaller club and build his way up, if he's happy just being in the background as a coach then there's no harm in him staying as long as the new manager wants him here.

SteveJ

Scout
What would he need to achieve to prove it though? Being a good manager at a club like Everton has already been shown to not be sufficient. Experience in the lower reaches isn't always going to be useful in judging if somebody can mix it at the highest level.
True (though being reasonably good at Everton was considered acceptable for United when choosing Moyes) but it bothers me that, bar four games as caretaker, no-one is being given the chance to get an inkling in advance whether the Giggs era might be good, bad or average. It smacks of cowardice (strong word, I know) on the part of Giggs and his supporters at United.