If Poch takes over, how does he fix this mess?

I'd be fine giving Poch 3 full years no matter the results personally because he's proven and unlike LVG and Mou, he's proven with the style and philosophy that Manchester United appear to demand, he won't need 3 years though as he's shown he can quickly coach his ideas into his teams.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Quite easily really. He’s a good coach. Ole is the probably one of the worst managers I’ve ever seen in the PL. Just horrible. Legend always will be but I will be happy to see him sacked.

There is no such thing as ‘time’ in football it’s a complete myth. You get time if you can see there’s progression happening. We are not progressing. We will not progress under someone who doesn’t know what he’s doing.

lysglimt

Scout
He's a coach and a fecking good one. He would do much better with this squad than Ole did. The only real reason Spurs tailed down so much is that half the key players didn't get better contracts and so decided to run them down. It's hard to motivate them after a while. He barely freshened up the squad in the past couple seasons.
So you want a manager who took 2 years to get Spurs to improve - then did really well for 18 months, Before going on one of the worst declines seen in P.L history ?

CM

It's not a mess, it's a very decent team being coached by an arsehole. Poch would presumably give us a system of play and coach the players on how to play football.
Mourinho left last year

vivaronaldo

poch with funds would be a worth a shot ..... his contacts alone would be very good , and his presence enough for other managers to at least be concerned about whats going on with united ..... at the minimum a certain playing style could be established given he knows the english game

right now i doubt ole has anyone shaking in their boots

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
So you want a manager who took 2 years to get Spurs to improve - then did really well for 18 months, Before going on one of the worst declines seen in P.L history ?
He didn't take 2 years for Spurs to improve and he didnt just do really well for 18 months. His time at Spurs will be seen as an over achievement because quite frankly they weren't even on the map prior to him. Today theyre big enough to hire Jose Mourinho and have comfortably dislodged Arsenal in stature under Pochs reign.

And I'm not just talking about Spurs. He did well at Espanyol and he much improved Southampton. Its not susprising, he's a fecking coach. We've forgotten what that looks like since Ole came in.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don't care what people say but Tottenham & Poch were the best when they played 352 & players like dier in form.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I see you are a fan of hyperbole. I also like how you ignored all context.

His first 2 years, they had a net positive spend. They spent buttons compared to their competitors.

Before him, Spurs had appointed 9 managers in 11 years. They were a mess when he arrived.

A manager who built Tottenham into a consistent top 4 side, on a shoestring budget, in the most competitive league in the world. A league where we have spent hundreds of millions and still his teams comfortably finished above us.

The club he left behind for Mourinho, is unrecognisable to the one he walked into.

His success in England goes back to Southampton. You're talking over 6 years.

And on, and on, and on.

Imagine what he could achieve with proper backing? Yes please.

Last edited:

Bwuk

I think if you sort the midfield we have a not bad side. Yes it can be improved upon, but it’s such a huge weakness.

We desperately need someone who can receive the ball deep and dictate the game, a Fabinho type player.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He doesn’t and that’s sort of the point.

OGS gutted the squad, with the boards backing.

kdiglas78

I think Ole is quite “hands off” with coaching, leaving it to Carrick and McKenna. Poch would clear them out, bring in decent coaches, and be more involved himself.

TrueRed79

Poch would relegate us. He did worse with a better Spurs team, it’s terrifying to thing how far he’d make us drop.
HAHA :lol: You obviously know nothing about football if that's what you genuinely believe. I don't see any white text so i'll assume you are. Amazing.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Poch's best Spurs team had midfield options like Eriksen, Dembele, Wanyama, Dier and Alli all at their peaks.

Solskjaer has had McTominay, Fred and Pereira available to him. He wouldn't fix anything like any other manager, he'd play those 3 and get similar results.

Brophs

The One and Only
Two words: Amazon Documentary
Two more words: Bowl of lemons

UpWithRivers

Its not even really about if Poch is a good manager its the question of is he better than Ole. You would need to head read to say otherwise. Ive said this before if all the teams and all the 'football professionals' were asked if you had to bet your house on Ole or Poch to do a better job at Utd who would you pick then 99 percent would say Poch. I dont even think he would come and Im not even convinced he is that great but he is better than Ole hands down. Its not even a contest.
Poch would simply introduce a system, coach well and be tactically aware. You know...the basics. That would get us competing consistently guaranteed. By that I mean not beating Brighton one week then getting schooled by Shef Utd. Or playing well against Liverpool and then beaten by the likes of Newcastle, Crystal Palace etc. Then its down to how good new signings and sales are and how well other teams do to get top four and beyond which is a bit of a guessing game. But at least we would in with a chance. With some cash that he didn't get at Tottenham or Southampton then you would think he would do better than he did there. But who knows.

Leftback99

Its not even really about if Poch is a good manager its the question of is he better than Ole. You would need to head read to say otherwise. Ive said this before if all the teams and all the 'football professionals' were asked if you had to bet your house on Ole or Poch to do a better job at Utd who would you pick then 99 percent would say Poch. I dont even think he would come and Im not even convinced he is that great but he is better than Ole hands down. Its not even a contest.
Poch would simply introduce a system, coach well and be tactically aware. You know...the basics. That would get us competing consistently guaranteed. By that I mean not beating Brighton one week then getting schooled by Shef Utd. Or playing well against Liverpool and then beaten by the likes of Newcastle, Crystal Palace etc. Then its down to how good new signings and sales are and how well other teams do to get top four and beyond which is a bit of a guessing game. But at least we would in with a chance. With some cash that he didn't get at Tottenham or Southampton then you would think he would do better than he did there. But who knows.
Poch got schooled by Sheff Utd a couple of weeks at home, also schooled by Brighton and beaten by Newcastle at home. Why is his 'system' so sure to work here with the likes of Pereira and Fred?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Even after his club literally have to sack him for being shite the myth of Pochettino lives on.

Even after his club literally have to sack him for being shite the myth of Pochettino lives on.
I must’ve imagined him playing better football than any United manager since SAF, doing better in the league, improving more players and going further in the CL than United.

What did you think about Klopp’s last season at Dortmund noods?

Leftback99

My lord you’re full of it.

“Schooled”... Poch drew 1-1 with Sheff U and his side had more shots & 62% possession.
We had 60% possession today and scored 3 goals away from home. If we were schooled as the post I replied to then so were Spurs. Any thoughts on Spurs 3-0 defeat to Brighton?

We had 60% possession today and scored 3 goals away from home. If we were schooled as the post I replied to then so were Spurs. Any thoughts on Spurs 3-0 defeat to Brighton?
We were also outshot today also don’t forget, we had a good 15 minutes, that’s the only reason the stats look alright in our favour.

What’s your point about 3-0? Are you trying to argue that Poch isn’t quite clearly a far superior manager to Ole because he’s lost some games? If that’s the point you’re making then I’m not going to give you the time of day.

SER19

Even for red cafe standards Im surprised at red cafe for the level of meltdown today,one of the toughest away games of season.

We were rubbish, of that there is no doubt. But we still scored three (for the third game running). We've got lots of players in good form and two home league fixtures to follow.

You can't judge a team game by game. Overall we're infinitely better than we were from March to May and if we keep on that trajectory we will be fine. I don't know about others but I'm not living obsessed with finishing 4th so we can bundle through a CL campaign we're not ready for. As for needing it to get the players we need players like bissaka, maguire, mane, salah, van dijk, maddison and countless more are attainable without it.

Some people need to calm down. We were largely horrific today but if not for a dodgy goal we'd have an entirely different conversation. That's a problem with one's analysis of sport

Mainoldo

Poch's best Spurs team had midfield options like Eriksen, Dembele, Wanyama, Dier and Alli all at their peaks.

Solskjaer has had McTominay, Fred and Pereira available to him. He wouldn't fix anything like any other manager, he'd play those 3 and get similar results.
Wanyama came from Southampton and was the same level as Schneiderlin (played for us do you rate him?) Dier was brought as a CB no better than Rojo and Ali was a Daniel James type signing. So now we are going to pretend they was world beaters when they was signed? He made them the level you are classing them at.

So maybe we should allow him to do the same with the McTomminay’s and Fred’s.

Leftback99

We were also outshot today also don’t forget, we had a good 15 minutes, that’s the only reason the stats look alright in our favour.

What’s your point about 3-0? Are you trying to argue that Poch isn’t quite clearly a far superior manager to Ole because he’s lost some games? If that’s the point you’re making then I’m not going to give you the time of day.
This thread is about Poch fixing this 'mess'. I'm not convinced he's the sure thing many of you think, results like Brighton would soon have you wanting him out too.

Sorry I don't conform to thinking Poch is perfect manager so you don't want to discuss it. I don't need your time of day. You're full of it.

This thread is about Poch fixing this 'mess'. I'm not convinced he's the sure thing many of you think, results like Brighton would soon have you wanting him out too.

Sorry I don't conform to thinking Poch is perfect manager so you don't want to discuss it. I don't need your time of day. You're full of it.
You don’t need to conform to thinking anyone is perfect, and all managers have bad runs & results, just look at Klopp’s final season at Dortmund, sometimes it can just go stale.

What’s evident though is that Poch is much more of a “sure thing” than OGS.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I must’ve imagined him playing better football than any United manager since SAF, doing better in the league, improving more players and going further in the CL than United.

What did you think about Klopp’s last season at Dortmund noods?
This is just the usual thing where you are judging him as a Spurs manager rather than a potential United manager.

It is much easier to do well at Spurs than to do well at United, because at Spurs you can finish 4th every year and win nothing and people actually praise you for it, for some reason. Even at Arsenal, pretending finishing 4th is a success results in fans literally going on marches calling for you to be sacked. At United, it would just get you sacked after a couple of years, before there are any marches.

I'm not sure what doing better in the league means. Jose finished 2nd with United behind a team who got 100 points and it was considered a failure. Pochettino was comfortably behind him that season yet apparently did well. I don't care about the Champions League final appearance, because they weren't particularly impressive on route to it and then lost the final after 1 minute...they were the second beest team in every round prior and also lucky to get out of their group. Their overall form and level of performance outside of the CL during this period was also absolutely diabolical. Spurs have not played well since probably before last season. Certainly not with any consistency. It is not a blip or a sudden collapse, it is consistent underperformning catching up with them.

Which is the point really. It IS easier to do well at Spurs than at a lub like United, yet Pochettino has been sacked for doing BADLY at Spurs.

He has done worse at Spurs than Ole at United since Ole took over. He has nothing on his CV to suggest he would be a definite success here "finished in top 4 a few times with Tottenham" is not a criteria for a succesful top level manager. It's really quite weird to see people just assume he should take over from Ole. I don't know if Gladston has managed to brainwash people or what, but United fans, particularly on here, seemto just see what they want to with Pochettino rather than the reality.

I don't see how Klopp is comparable to Pochettino. Klopp won major trophies in Germany despite not managing Bayern Munich. That's much more impressive than anything Pochettino has done. Klopp has won a champions league with Liverpool and made Liverpool into a much better team than Spurs, even before he was alllowed to start splashing money around. You're trying to compare a boxer to the bloke parading round the ring with the title after knocking him out in the 3rd round.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Coaching. You would be surprised at the difference a quality coach will make to a team.
I thought we had quality with LVG and Mourinho. They didn't seem to make a difference over the long term.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He has done worse at Spurs than Ole at United since Ole took over. He has nothing on his CV to suggest he would be a definite success here "finished in top 4 a few times with Tottenham" is not a criteria for a succesful top level manager. It's really quite weird to see people just assume he should take over from Ole. I don't know if Gladston has managed to brainwash people or what, but United fans, particularly on here, seemto just see what they want to with Pochettino rather than the reality.

I don't see how Klopp is comparable to Pochettino. Klopp won major trophies in Germany despite not managing Bayern Munich. That's much more impressive than anything Pochettino has done. Klopp has won a champions league with Liverpool and made Liverpool into a much better team than Spurs, even before he was alllowed to start splashing money around. You're trying to compare a boxer to the bloke parading round the ring with the title after knocking him out in the 3rd round.
While I agree with 'doing better with Spurs is easier than with ManUnited'. These last two paragraphs only make Ole look worse. If Poch has nothing on his CV then Ole is a fresh graduate in comparison.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
While I agree with 'doing better with Spurs is easier than with ManUnited'. These last two paragraphs only make Ole look worse. If Poch has nothing on his CV then Ole is a fresh graduate in comparison.
The difference being that Ole already is our manager.

If he wasn't I wouldn't expect people on here to be calling for whoever our manager was to be sacked so Ole could replace them, so I don't get why anyone should be doing this with Pochettino.

If it gets to a stage where the club feel Ole has to go then they would look at the options, and I don't think we're at that stage.

There is no way outside of any alternate reality that Poch is a good enough candidate to sack Ole JUST because Poch is available.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I thought we had quality with LVG and Mourinho. They didn't seem to make a difference over the long term.
FA Cup & Europa League/League Cup trophies says otherwise.

Please remind me what long term progress we are currently making? We are 9th in the table if you haven't noticed. We've been in relegation form going back to last season.

So what you're saying is, long term mediocrity is a precursor to future success. Got it.

FA Cup & Europa League/League Cup trophies says otherwise.

Please remind me what long term progress we are currently making? We are 9th in the table if you haven't noticed. We've been in relegation form going back to last season.

So what you're saying is, long term mediocrity is a precursor to future success. Got it.
Mourinho and LVG’s first 2 full seasons were roaring successes compared to the shit Ole has served up since March.

But hey, Ole doesn’t like a mercenary so he’s defo the right man to take us forward... or something.