Iker Casillas

Cina

Posting a youtube video of a players season highlights does not influence me in any way.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He's always there when You need him. Even without defense leader such as Puyol, he manage to keep the game safe, right to the end.

I hope he's a role model for young De Gea because it's the best example of overall perfection combined with strong, fair play character.

Count Orduck

For many years he had to deal with a joke of a defense. Still bailed Real Madrid out many times. 09 / 10, you say?

I love Casillas, but neither of those saves are outstanding - both are really awful placement by the striker.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Neither outstanding? You do know that poor finish =/ poor save. He still has to do all the work. In the first save he shows anticipation. He lifts up the leg to save it. In the 2nd save it's reflexes and agility. It's not only the footwork and the jump but also how quick he was to react to the cross. Same thing with the same from Di Natele in the final. It's how quick he is to react. A bit like watching Xavi when he's off the ball. Notice all his quick head movements and how he processes a lot of information with a very quick glance.

Cina

You could make Ben Foster look like the best goalkeeper in the world with those videos.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
You could make Ben Foster look like the best goalkeeper in the world with those videos.
That's hardly an argument. That video showed two saves in a single game. That's it. You know the difference between the two. It was just an example of Casillas having to bail out a poor defense on his own.

Salvation

Damnation
Is it just me or Casillas for Real is just isn't bothered off late for the past few seasons? He was the best in the world for a while during and a bit after Hierro but now seems like one of those players Mourinho desperately wishes to boot but cannot. Any La Liga fans who can shed some light on this?

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
There has been a lot of speculation that Iker & Xavi's relationship has been key to the NT not completely unraveling despite Mou's efforts to create a division between the club players...By extension, it's believed that there is no love lost between keeper & manager...and because Iker is an institution for the capital club, he's been the only who couldn't be booted from the squad

Local press has been talking about how Mou had been critical of the NT & their style during the group stages but disappeared from commentaries after the quarterfinals

Article in Sport yesterday had anecdotes from Xavi's father about the Xavi-Mou-Iker triangle as well

Cina

That's hardly an argument. That video showed two saves in a single game. That's it. You know the difference between the two. It was just an example of Casillas having to bail out a poor defense on his own.
You couldn't do the same with Foster?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Is it just me or Casillas for Real is just isn't bothered off late for the past few seasons? He was the best in the world for a while during and a bit after Hierro but now seems like one of those players Mourinho desperately wishes to boot but cannot. Any La Liga fans who can shed some light on this?
The context is Spain has several sports daily newspapers and a lot of football coverage in the mainstream press, long sports segments on broadcast TV news plus a couple of football TV channels. They've space to fill and it's filled with soap opera stuff Real(ity show) Madrid.

Mourinho's complaint is supposed to be that Spain NT players are untouchable - the press adore them. So, mistakes by Casillas go unmentioned and Casillas (and his TV sports reporter girlfriend) get away with feeding gossip to the press. Including criticism of Mou's tactics and team selection (like Coentrao over Albiol)

It came to a head over things like Casillas trying to (too publicly) make peace with Barca after one of the uglier clasicos, and a couple of training ground confrontations. Was Mourinho annoyed enough to want to sell? Probably not, but he was certainly annoyed.

Skorenzy

Sevilla fans and players must hate him...

For me Casillas is more error prone than other top keepers like Buffon or VDS, but he's capable of making much harder reflex saves, in fact he's maybe the only keeper I'd always fancy in any given 1-on-1 situation with a striker. Big game player as well.

Salvation

Damnation
There has been a lot of speculation that Iker & Xavi's relationship has been key to the NT not completely unraveling despite Mou's efforts to create a division between the club players...By extension, it's believed that there is no love lost between keeper & manager...and because Iker is an institution for the capital club, he's been the only who couldn't be booted from the squad

Local press has been talking about how Mou had been critical of the NT & their style during the group stages but disappeared from commentaries after the quarterfinals

Article in Sport yesterday had anecdotes from Xavi's father about the Xavi-Mou-Iker triangle as well
The context is Spain has several sports daily newspapers and a lot of football coverage in the mainstream press, long sports segments on broadcast TV news plus a couple of football TV channels. They've space to fill and it's filled with soap opera stuff Real(ity show) Madrid.

Mourinho's complaint is supposed to be that Spain NT players are untouchable - the press adore them. So, mistakes by Casillas go unmentioned and Casillas (and his TV sports reporter girlfriend) get away with feeding gossip to the press. Including criticism of Mou's tactics and team selection (like Coentrao over Albiol)

It came to a head over things like Casillas trying to (too publicly) make peace with Barca after one of the uglier clasicos, and a couple of training ground confrontations. Was Mourinho annoyed enough to want to sell? Probably not, but he was certainly annoyed.
:lol: Mourinho. Obviously Casillas sees through his facade.

But on ability alone Mourinho is justified in wanting to replace him..if he feels like. Been far too error prone as mentioned in tbe post above. Also, a dependable keeper who gets his fundamentals right have always been a salient feature of Jose's team (or any successful one for that matter, obviously).

What's the reaction to winning these internatiobal trophies in Spain, fellas? Does it induce national unity? I wouldn't be surprised if Barca fans felt high handed about them being the catalyst in contrast to the failures of the Madrid-influenced squads of pre-2006. Also felt there's a conscious effort to make these victories seem as much a collective effort as possibile even though the Barca influence is bleedingly obvious.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
What's the reaction to winning these internatiobal trophies in Spain, fellas? Does it induce national unity? I wouldn't be surprised if Barca fans felt high handed about them being the catalyst in contrast to the failures of the Madrid-influenced squads of pre-2006. Also felt there's a conscious effort to make these victories seem as much a collective effort as possibile even though the Barca influence is bleedingly obvious.
Catalans are mostly happy but largely owing to their belief that it's Barcelona based success - but there are those who wanted Spain to fail due to the obvious differences...Xavi & Iker deserve a lot of credit, along with Del Bosque for this run of success for the NT...I'd throw in Puyol in there as well...They prevented things from unraveling when there was concerted efforts to derail the friendliness between the club players

I think overall, there is a sense of unity that Spanish football is experiencing a special moment in footballing history and that it behooves them to take advantage of it - regardless of club rivalries

Of course, there are more Barcelona players going to Iker's wedding than RM players so that says something as well :angel:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It's even more insane that he won 100 out of those 137 games. First ever player to win 100 games with his national team.

Don't get the criticism. He has produced some of the most memorable saves on the biggest stages. Denying Robben in the 2010 WC final. Saving the penalty against Paraguay in the semis around the 60 minute mark when it was 0-0. Against Italy he denied Di Natale, which was Italy's biggest chance of the game. And if I'm not mistaken he also denied Croatia's biggest chance of the game (header after the Modric cross).

For many years he had to deal with a joke of a defense. Still bailed Real Madrid out many times. 09 / 10, you say?

It's undoubtedly impressive that he's excelled as both an over-worked and under-worked keeper, I thought he was probably Madrid's best player in 07/08 (or was it 06/07?) but at the same time there were questions to be asked about whether he could play to the same level behind a more organised defence and be a calming influence. He's certainly done that.

Homeomorphic

It's just you. He's a God in Madrid.

37.8 % of 115.697 voters want him to win the Ballon d'Or.

http://www.marca.com/2012/07/06/futbol/1341570911.html

Mourinho's clinch with Casillas had other reasons than sporting ones. FCBarca already gave a little inside.

Suedesi

What the feck was he doing tonight? People are giving Hart grief for Ronaldo's goal, but he deserves to be flogged for Dzeko's goal

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Can't agree at all. Dzeko wrong footed him and finished off his left. It was actually quite skillful by Dzeko's standards and I was impressed with the awareness and the finish.

Not 100% sure if Dzeko is a lefty or not but he opened up and then wrong footed him I thought. Not much he could have done. The FK though. Pretty poor imo. Very lax.

NM

Can't agree at all. Dzeko wrong footed him and finished off his left. It was actually quite skillful by Dzeko's standards and I was impressed with the awareness and the finish?

Not 100% sure if Dzeko is a left or not but he opened up and then wrong footed him I thought. Not much he could have done. The FK though. Pretty poor imo. Very lax.
He went down wayy to early for Dzeko's goal imo. Dzeko could see him go, and just slotted it in the empty net!

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I think it was impossible for Dzeko to have a look, see Casillas and place it in that corner all in that fraction of seconds.Dzeko just chose where he was gonna put it all along and Casillas anticipated it wrongly to be the other side

Feed Me

I'm hungry
No excuses, it was poor 'keeping from Casillas. He was too far over to his left. It's not as though the ball was tucked into the right corner of the net, it went in very centrally.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
It was obvious Dzeko was going to put it in the left, he didn't have time to decide and Casillas has a habit of going down way too early. Shite keeping.

Suedesi

Can't agree at all. Dzeko wrong footed him and finished off his left. It was actually quite skillful by Dzeko's standards and I was impressed with the awareness and the finish.

Not 100% sure if Dzeko is a lefty or not but he opened up and then wrong footed him I thought. Not much he could have done. The FK though. Pretty poor imo. Very lax.
What? I thought it was a poor shot by Dzeko, and an even poorer by Casillas throwing himself the wrong way.

Eugenius

Going down early is stupid. You let him score regardless of the shot quality if it goes in the other direction. At least by not committing, you still save any poor finishes and if it's a good finish then fair enough.

Commadus

Casillas anticipated a shot across his nets so he shifted his weight onto his left side thus exposing himself to a pass down his right side as he was unbalanced.

Funny thing is the commentators mentioned Hart trying to model himself on Casillas and he mentioned Casillas tries not to anticipate too much and rely on his reflexes to make a save and thats why he is good in one on one's- something hart was trying to emulate.

Suedesi

Casillas anticipated a shot across his nets so he shifted his weight onto his left side thus exposing himself to a pass down his right side as he was unbalanced.

Funny thing is the commentators mentioned Hart trying to model himself on Casillas and he mentioned Casillas tries not to anticipate too much and rely on his reflexes to make a save and thats why he is good in one on one's- something hart was trying to emulate.
Yep :lol:

Baxter

I think he's struggled a little since getting his head bashed in by Pepe and Ramos.

Still a fantastic keeper though, and a top pro although that reaction is odd. Even if there was a split in the camp, surely you might muster up a little reaction at least if your team has just scored a last minute winner.