g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

I'm not worried we wont challenge for the title.....i'm worried we wont make top 4!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We haven't kicked off the season yet. Put this thread into cold storage and if by Christmas we are miles behind then resurrect it. I am not going to completely stress out when a ball hasn't even been kicked. I am concerned about his team selections and that the football might end up dire again. Not getting Top 4. I just can't see that.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Maybe we should both hold hands and wait on the ledge of the tallest building in the city and wait till May before we jump?

Clas Sified

No one should be judging off pre-season. Pre-season's mainly for working back to full match fitness while experimenting.

I'm fairly confident we'll challenge for the title this season.

Trizy

I think we're miles ahead of Spurs and Liverpool but also think we're miles away from winning the title. Best possible finish would be 2nd but most likely 3rd/4th.

Not sure about City but Arsenal & Chelsea are in better shape than us.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I swear there's a new "We're shit"-thread on here every day.
July 23rd
  • We are lacking that Star man/Match winner! (also by BringNaniBack)

July 26th
  • Are we in better shape for this season? ("Without being too negative, I'm worried.")
  • We have the most expensive squad in the league

Tuesday
  • 8 days to go 'till the season starts, and we've STILL not sorted CB yet. Are you concerned?

Thursday
  • Any improvement in the pace of our build up play?
  • Herrera Must Start
  • Louis Van Gaal | 2015-16 Performances Thread
  • Our attack is a mess
  • Pre-season woes
Today
  • Is Van Gaal Preparing for Failure?
  • I'm not worried we wont challenge for the title.....i'm worried we wont make top 4!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
July 23rd

July 26th
  • Are we in better shape for this season? ("Without being too negative, I'm worried.")

Tuesday
  • 8 days to go 'till the season starts, and we've STILL not sorted CB yet. Are you concerned?

Thursday
  • Herrera Must Start
  • Our attack is a mess
  • Pre-season woes
Today
  • I'm not worried we wont challenge for the title.....i'm worried we wont make top 4!
What you getting at?

GeneralGattuso

Really? You are basing your opinion on the squads ability to even make the top 4 based on a few pre-season games and 45min selections? Yeah sounds like a great way to make a solid assessment of the team.

Our defense might not be the strongest in the PL but it's certainly not bad, compare it to Liverpools and Arsenals and ours looks immense. Liverpool's best defender is Skrtel and it's the defense they really needed to strengthen, it's awful. Arsenal's defense doesn't get exposed for what it is because the midfielders do such a great job of holding on to the ball, shielding the defense and keeping sustained pressure off them... the fact that they are so poor is emphasised by their interest in Smalling, who is barely good enough for us and nowhere near consistent enough.

We've sorted out RB and the midfield. We need one good CB and more pace in attack. Di Maria leaving is a shame because that is exactly what he could bring. The one and only worry I have for us this season is goals - someone is going to have to step up and be a consistent source of goals... Rooney needs to prove he is worth the money.

Spoony

The People's President
We'll finish top four but we're not got to challenge for the title, well that is unless we strengthen a couple of more positions.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
July 23rd

July 26th

Tuesday

Thursday
  • Herrera Must Start
  • Our attack is a mess
  • Pre-season woes
Today
Exactly one per day on average then. Top work, RedCafe.

Oaencha

Pessimism at its finest. The title to this thread sounds like a Jeremy Kyle episode.

OneUnited24

We'll finish top four but we're not got to challenge for the title, well that is unless we strengthen a couple of more positions.
I think we can challenge for the title but a lot depends on how well our new signings adapt to LvGs style of play (and how well LvG has adapted to the league). I've always felt that even last season we had players who could do the business but always seemed hampered by different formations/positions. Heres to hoping after a full season and full pre-season we hit the ground running this time round

Spoony

The People's President
I think we can challenge for the title but a lot depends on how well our new signings adapt to LvGs style of play (and how well LvG has adapted to the league). I've always felt that even last season we had players who could do the business but always seemed hampered by different formations/positions. Heres to hoping after a full season and full pre-season we hit the ground running this time round

I think we may lack a cutting edge up front. It's a shame Di Maria didn't work out because United needed/lacked pace in the final third, oh hum eh.

Dex_Utd

Not really worried about top-4 but a bit sad that LVG doesn't think this squad can win the title. IIRC, even without being explosive, we were able to keep pace with City, Chelsea and Arsenal in the 2nd half of last season. I think we are the one team out of all top-4 who seems to have visibly strengthened more than the others. So it seems strange for LVG to say so as a manager publicly, even though it might be true to some extent.

Fully Fledged

July 23rd

July 26th

Tuesday

Thursday
  • Herrera Must Start
  • Our attack is a mess
  • Pre-season woes
Today
Don't forget Undercooked?

SirFergie

Really? You are basing your opinion on the squads ability to even make the top 4 based on a few pre-season games and 45min selections? Yeah sounds like a great way to make a solid assessment of the team.

Our defense might not be the strongest in the PL but it's certainly not bad, compare it to Liverpools and Arsenals and ours looks immense. Liverpool's best defender is Skrtel and it's the defense they really needed to strengthen, it's awful. Arsenal's defense doesn't get exposed for what it is because the midfielders do such a great job of holding on to the ball, shielding the defense and keeping sustained pressure off them... the fact that they are so poor is emphasised by their interest in Smalling, who is barely good enough for us and nowhere near consistent enough.

We've sorted out RB and the midfield. We need one good CB and more pace in attack. Di Maria leaving is a shame because that is exactly what he could bring. The one and only worry I have for us this season is goals - someone is going to have to step up and be a consistent source of goals... Rooney needs to prove he is worth the money.
This. Luke Shaw has also looked superb, both defensively and going forward and finally (touch wood) looks to be over his injury problems.

Januzaj has bulked up significantly and could surprise a few this season with his contribution. Depay looks a fine player and has linked up well with Rooney who needs to be more clinical which sounds daft considering his record but...

Di Maria was a luxury that didn't work out. Hopefully, if we sign him, Pedro can provide the pace, goals and assists that will help.

Litch

Said it before, there are strengths to the signings we have made but also there are clear omissions. It's clear that Smalling and Jones are not working and putting Blind there is fine maybe for European games but he's not got the stature for the Prem. Equally DDG is the kind of keeper that needs to be settled to play well and the dip in form started at the back end of the season once the momentum started again around Real.

Also, I know the seasons not started yet but how can you start with only one recognised forward? Depay needs a season, Wilson needs a lone and I'm sorry but Adnan is never a forward not to mention one that at times will have to be a lone forward. Hernandez is here only because Real didn't want him and if LVG rated him, he would never have gone out in the first place. How we've ended up so short I'll never know.

Theonas

Scout
You can be pessimistic about any team's chances if you try hard enough. If you were a Chelsea fan you'd easily be saying "All our rivals strengthened, City and United spent over 60 millions each, Arsenal fixed their biggest area of concern and what have we done? Bought a crock from last year and helped out a direct rival. I know we won the league but the best teams don't stabd still or risk being caught up. Don't forget we really struggled at the second half of the season to play well. I'm really worried". See? Wanna try City?

SirFergie

Said it before, there are strengths to the signings we have made but also there are clear omissions. It's clear that Smalling and Jones are not working and putting Blind there is fine maybe for European games but he's not got the stature for the Prem. Equally DDG is the kind of keeper that needs to be settled to play well and the dip in form started at the back end of the season once the momentum started again around Real.

Also, I know the seasons not started yet but how can you start with only one recognised forward? Depay needs a season, Wilson needs a lone and I'm sorry but Adnan is never a forward not to mention one that at times will have to be a lone forward. Hernandez is here only because Real didn't want him and if LVG rated him, he would never have gone out in the first place. How we've ended up so short I'll never know.
Nothing like a good, complete write-off to start the season...

dasty

I knew people would get hysterical and paranoid when we made our signings early and almost at the same time. With no new signings every week people will start moaning and complaining, and after a loss to PSG negativity is all over the place. Pathetic.

Joke of a thread too by the way.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Oh I was asking for it with this thread wasn't I....new I would get the usual comments on my username, I will never live that down.

Anyway I hope this thread ends up being completely wrong and we challenge for the title!

Litch

You can be pessimistic about any team's chances if you try hard enough. If you were a Chelsea fan you'd easily be saying "All our rivals strengthened, City and United spent over 60 millions each, Arsenal fixed their biggest area of concern and what have we done? Bought a crock from last year and helped out a direct rival. I know we won the league but the best teams don't stabd still or risk being caught up. Don't forget we really struggled at the second half of the season to play well. I'm really worried". See? Wanna try City?
You can but they aren't playing catch up and we are. Chelsea won it, City challenged as did Arsenal. Arsenal won a trophy. All are already in the CL outright. We have work to do and 300m later, you could argue still 150m short of a forward and CB's and a GK. Sorry Chelsea, City and Arsenal all have the jewel in the crown and we're selling ours after one season for a 10m loss with no like for like placement. We are now buying the players that the other big teams view as surplus where they are buying ours that are not.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
You can but they aren't playing catch up and we are. Chelsea won it, City challenged as did Arsenal. Arsenal won a trophy. All are already in the CL outright. We have work to do and 300m later, you could argue still 150m short of a forward and CB's and a GK. Sorry Chelsea, City and Arsenal all have the jewel in the crown and we're selling ours after one season for a 10m loss with no like for like placement. We are now buying the players that the other big teams view as surplus where they are buying ours that are not.
Arsenal's jewels in the crown are exactly that i.e a surplus of big teams.

Von Mistelroum

In fairness, we have to look objectively at what is currently happening and, while it might seem negative, the OP isn't too far wrong.

At present, we're in the process of selling Di Maria and we know that De Gea wants out. We're hearing that Pedro might be a target but nothing concrete there so far.

We also know that Van Gaal has spent the entirety of preseason practising this new formation and bedding Blind in as a CB as well as Memphis as a number 10.

It's reasonable then, to assume that our team will be without Di Maria and probably De Gea and that the team we've been practising with will be more or less our first team to start the season. A team with Jones over Smalling, Mata as a winger, Memphis as a #10 and Herrera on the bench.

Of course we should be strengthening our team and surely we'll abandon this formation and selection weirdness when it doesn't work, but after how long? And will we make the right signings (or be able to). If not then after Di Maria and DDG leave, we'll be in profit for the summer and potentially unimproved too. It's a worry at the least.

Theonas

Scout
But now you are cherry picking which facts suits your agenda. You can also claim if you're City fan that they fell spectacularly when the going got tough, have an aging squad with a star player that can't be relied on to stay fit. Arsenal can point to the fact Wenger hasn't even seriously competed for the late title in forever. And if you want to cherry pick when it comes to us, you can point to how aside from the first 10 games, we were title challengers and we improved the most in the transfer market.

I am not saying we will do well but that we can't really make a proper judgement until we see how each team is playing. Unless of course we had a Barcelona in our league. As it stands, we have 4 flawed teams with different strengths and weaknesses.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not worried. Last season I think we can all agree was incredibly inconsistent and that we'll do better. Van Gaal and the players have had a full season with each other and are used to each other now, meaning we won't go through the awful opening adjustment period where we got 13 points in 10 games. Even with that, we still comfortably were in the top 4, 6 points ahead of 5th placed spurs, and we had just 1 win in the last 6 games as we basically secured top 4 by then. So that's 16 games where our form was just awful, be it through an adaptation period, or players losing motivation because we achieved our goals. Almost half the season.

Onto the actual team, we are undoubtedly stronger. The midfield is miles better and we have more pace and individual ability up front in memphis. The youngsters look a lot better too. Can't see us doing worse then last year, because we're more used to LvG, and just have better depth all around. Also, the terrible injury crisis is very unlikely to happen again, as that's as bad as it has ever been. We'll have injuries, but not to that extent that we saw last season in the first half.

I think its highlynunlikely we won't improve on our points total by at least like 5 points at the very worst. And that would be 75 points which is enough for top 4. More likely is around 80 points for the season I'd say, depending on how people settle even more.

Oneunited26

Even if we played 4411, no way would Spurs and Liverpool finish above us lol

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The mighty scousers under Brentans stewardship, of course.

I'm amazed at the negative mood on the caf currently
All after losing to PSG in a pretty season game mainly. The caf is full of just negative people these days who just can't wait for us to fail so they can say I told you so basically