I'm not worried we wont challenge for the title.....i'm worried we wont make top 4!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The only reason we'd struggle to get top 4 is because of the sheer upheaval in our squad over the last 13 months, not the actual quality of the squad.

We always underestimate our own players and overestimate our rivals'.
Seriously though. Compared to arsenal last season, we sign Memphis, schweinsteiger, schneiderlin and darmian, while they sign just Cech, yet they'll challenge for the title (remember, they only got 75 points last season) while we'll struggle for the top 4. People are mental basically.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Seriously though. Compared to arsenal last season, we sign Memphis, schweinsteiger, schneiderlin and darmian, while they sign just Cech, yet they'll challenge for the title (remember, they only got 75 points last season) while we'll struggle for the top 4. People are mental basically.
So true.

We finished 6 ahead of Tottenham and 8 ahead of Liverpool and have by far the best transfer window so far....

Yet we're going to drop out of the top 4...

Bwuk

I think we are the weakest out of be top 4 sides, but no-one below us have strengthened enough to worry me.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Some of you worry warts are either at the cusp of some pubic hair growth or you're completely off your heads.

Out

RVP = Lost his spark. Age is against him. Was a liability at times last season.

Falcao = Just didn't work for the both of us. He's past it and the injury has made him half the player he was.

Nani = He was inconsistent as inconsistent could be. Hell, he didn't tear up the Portuguese league exexactly. Never a Van Gaal player.

Angel Di Maria = Didn't have the will to stay in the country after that burglary. His wife has been adamant about a move and once a player's family wants out, there's not much you can do.

IN

Bastian fecking Schweinsteiger = Has done and won it all. Even if he doesn't dominate the league, his experience and leadership is huge.

Morgan Schneiderlin = The Prem's best CM last season. Nuff saI'd.

Memphis = Collosal potential. Will play behind the striker looks like. At the start of his career development, he may turn good. Van Gaal has groomed the boy for two years with Netherlands. Let's trust LVG.

Darmian = SOLID. SOLID. SOLID full back. He looks phenomenal and a welcome addition.

As far as I can see... We've made significant improvements and with Do Maria likely to be replaced by Pedro we'll be in great position to move forward.

So stop the mindless pessimism and get behind the team boys.
Yet we still lack a cb, striker and a proper replacement for degea when he leaves

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I'm only worried if one day Louie will wake up and say 'feck it, back to 3-5-2'. Top 4 level is a done deal but aiming higher will require some actions that at some extent already happened.

While there's time for corrections, adjustments and possible additions there's no point in worrying. Just get that Football Manager 2015 and fax machine working and finish building a team Woody style.

vanrooney

Dont get the negativity after one loss in pre season. Had a good transfer window until now - the only thing worrying is the dea gea situation. If he stays or we get in an adequate replacement we are absolutely fine. one addition up front a la Pedro wont do any harm but also without him we have plenty of options. Ok one cb wouldnt be bad either but we have also potential there. Its absolutely pivotal to go on a winning streak right from the start and if we can do that i am positive that we will challenge until the end.

bosnian_red

So true.

We finished 6 ahead of Tottenham and 8 ahead of Liverpool and have by far the best transfer window so far....

Yet we're going to drop out of the top 4...
Its like people forget this. Or just choose to ignore it. And also forget that the first 10 games we got only 13 points because of the crazy injuries and bedding in period with all the new players and manager and coaches. That's not going to happen again. Also the last 6 games we basically stopped playing because we achieved our goal for the season, but also partly because Carrick was out. Now we have an equally good if not better replacement for Carrick. So we won't struggle as much if he's out, no chance. Even if we didn't buy anyone, I'm confident we'd do better then the inconsistency we saw last year. Let alone with 4 great signings.

fecking drama queens all over this place, panicking after we lose to PSG in a friendly days after we beat barca. I saw somebody actually claiming that the PSG game meant more then the Barcelona game, despite them being friendlies. The lengths people go to to put their own team down is ridiculous really.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yet we still lack a cb, striker and a proper replacement for degea when he leaves
The striker situation is my only real worry.

With better protection from the likes of Carrick, Bastian and Morgan I really do think the likes of Smalling, Jones and Rojo are good enough (who knows how long the Blind experiment will last) and I also expect far less injuries from them this year and as a result much less of McNair, Blackett and Evans.

I don't expect De Gea to leave either. We're telling Madrid to feck off and rightly so. We have him on a contract and he will honour it while trying his best because he's a professional that would like to have the best chance at winning something and getting into the Spanish Euro side.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
July 23rd
  • We are lacking that Star man/Match winner! (also by BringNaniBack)

July 26th
  • Are we in better shape for this season? ("Without being too negative, I'm worried.")
  • We have the most expensive squad in the league

Tuesday
  • 8 days to go 'till the season starts, and we've STILL not sorted CB yet. Are you concerned?

Thursday
  • Any improvement in the pace of our build up play?
  • Herrera Must Start
  • Louis Van Gaal | 2015-16 Performances Thread
  • Our attack is a mess
  • Pre-season woes
Today
  • Is Van Gaal Preparing for Failure?
  • I'm not worried we wont challenge for the title.....i'm worried we wont make top 4!
:lol:

Devil may care

I wouldn't dismiss the possibility, LvG has been open about us lacking creativity and pace up top and the lack of a CB addition is crazy. On top of that he could still sell De Gea and use one of the 2 numpty keepers we currently have as back-ups.

Stretford Red1978

Why all the negative threads? Are we really that bloody spoiled that can't see the massive positives that have changed since LVG has been in charge? We actually have a team that works together and for each other, last season our team was broken and had a massive fall from champions to 7th. We had to get used to a lot of new players, a new system, a new manager and around 40 injuries. I'm not saying LVG hasn't made mistakes but Jesus the season hasn't even friggin started yet and suddenly we won't make top 4?!?!?!?!? Anything can happen during the season! Last year in pre-season we won everything and had a injury ravaged season with so many ups and downs. We are missing a couple of links in our team that's all, it does take a while to get the right combination and types of players.Unfortunately it doesn't happen overnight.
No one knows what's going to happen, for the love of Pete just chill! :D

Empire

Its like people forget this. Or just choose to ignore it. And also forget that the first 10 games we got only 13 points because of the crazy injuries and bedding in period with all the new players and manager and coaches. That's not going to happen again. Also the last 6 games we basically stopped playing because we achieved our goal for the season, but also partly because Carrick was out. Now we have an equally good if not better replacement for Carrick. So we won't struggle as much if he's out, no chance. Even if we didn't buy anyone, I'm confident we'd do better then the inconsistency we saw last year. Let alone with 4 great signings.

fecking drama queens all over this place, panicking after we lose to PSG in a friendly days after we beat barca. I saw somebody actually claiming that the PSG game meant more then the Barcelona game, despite them being friendlies. The lengths people go to to put their own team down is ridiculous really.
The interesting thing about 3-5-2 is that it was used for 15 matches, the first three (2 draws and 1 loss) before the switch to the diamond (that everyone wanted) and then it was used again after the diamond's problems for 11 matches (7 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss) before the switch again to the diamond.

The manager probably concluded the poor results in the first three matches had more to do with playing Blackett, Lingard, Fletcher, Hernandez, Cleverley etc. than the formation, in the second run of 3-5-2 matches he stuck with it because it produced the results and then dropped it when it didn't, it's not like he doesn't know what he's doing, he just isn't knee jerk in his reactions.

As you also mention after the Chelsea loss we stopped playing and in the first 10 matches we had 13 points, if we exclude those games we are left with a middle 23 match period, if we took the points per game ratio from those 23 matches and applied it to 38 games then we would have 86 points. I can't help but be optimistic looking at that.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Even if we do not make another signing we have a squad strong enough to challenge for a title. No excuses this season.

Litch

But now you are cherry picking which facts suits your agenda. You can also claim if you're City fan that they fell spectacularly when the going got tough, have an aging squad with a star player that can't be relied on to stay fit. Arsenal can point to the fact Wenger hasn't even seriously competed for the late title in forever. And if you want to cherry pick when it comes to us, you can point to how aside from the first 10 games, we were title challengers and we improved the most in the transfer market.

I am not saying we will do well but that we can't really make a proper judgement until we see how each team is playing. Unless of course we had a Barcelona in our league. As it stands, we have 4 flawed teams with different strengths and weaknesses.
Your just cherry picking your points equally. I'm sure LVG will be making a pre-season judgement as isn't that what he's doing in press conferences and buying the players now.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'm more worried people will poison the atmosphere with gloom and doom threads before we even kick a competitive ball.

Someone

Something
It's clear that we're in a better positions than last season, so it'd be really strange if we can't improve, even with van gaal's experiments.

I'm worried that a bad start may cost us winning a title, but as a general rule i don't take top 4 for granted anymore.

vidic blood & sand

What's with all of these negative threads? Getting a bit ridiculous.
We are in the middle of a total rebuild of the squad, and at the moment there are too many unknowns to be overly negative or overly confident.
If Schweinsteiger has a great season, and De pay takes off, I'm sure we'll have a great season even if we didn't quite manage to win the league.

A lot of the supporters on here have been mega spoiled by the success of the SAF years, but those of us who supported the team during the Sexton/Atkinson years know what it's like to struggle in the league. We were always thrilled and excited when the new season came around though.

bosnian_red

The interesting thing about 3-5-2 is that it was used for 15 matches, the first three (2 draws and 1 loss) before the switch to the diamond (that everyone wanted) and then it was used again after the diamond's problems for 11 matches (7 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss) before the switch again to the diamond.

The manager probably concluded the poor results in the first three matches had more to do with playing Blackett, Lingard, Fletcher, Hernandez, Cleverley etc. than the formation, in the second run of 3-5-2 matches he stuck with it because it produced the results and then dropped it when it didn't, it's not like he doesn't know what he's doing, he just isn't knee jerk in his reactions.

As you also mention after the Chelsea loss we stopped playing and in the first 10 matches we had 13 points, if we exclude those games we are left with a middle 23 match period, if we took the points per game ratio from those 23 matches and applied it to 38 games then we would have 86 points. I can't help but be optimistic looking at that.
Yep. Obviously that 16 game period is still too big to ignore completely, but there are very clear and valid reasons for it, like injuries to key players like Carrick where we had no depth which we now do, the bedding in period/period at the end where we have nothing to play for. Despite basically throwing away 16 games (18 points in those 16 games), we still finished 8 points ahead of Liverpool and 6 ahead of spurs. That's almost us picking up all our points in just over half the season.

You can be sure with the added depth and a lot more quality, and the squad being adapted to the style, and the highly unlikely chance we'll ever see an injury crisis like that again in the next season, that we'll only improve. Its not like anyone stood out in particular apart from de Gea anyways, the majority had below par seasons compared to what they can.

Empire

I've not once called for Van Gaals head you tool.
He said to give you time, Louis van Gaal usually gets off to a slowish start before things pick up, we could find ourselves behind the leaders (but not out of the race), that's when I expect those threads to start.

It doesn't help Klopp is available!

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
he's right. we should be as good as anyone, there are a few teams i'd swap our strike force and defence for. if you want to be the best that shouldn't be the case.

Sam

We'll finish in the top 4 quite comfortably. We're a lot better then Liverpool/Spurs/Southampton

Its finishing any higher then 4th thats going to be the challange. Right now, we're quite behind Arsenal/City/Chelsea

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We will finish top 4 but that'll be it, the top 4 will be chelsea, arsenal, city then us.

Having spent near enough to £200 million over the last 2 seasons and not actually being in any better of a position than we are is the more worrying thing. How can we spend so much but still not have a one world class player or the game changing player every top team has. If rooney gers injured our back up is hernandez and wilson. If we lose smalling our back up is blind or rojo. Hardly championship winning quality.

Next season will be exactly the same as last season was for us, we will blow hot and cold again.

we will win matches against the big teams put in a fantastic performance then we will go and lose to west brom and those sort of teams and put in dire perfromances.
How are we not in a better position than before we spent that money?

Our squad was on its last legs after a final flourish for the title in 2013, we then had a disastrous managerial appointment and dropped to our approximate level the following season.

We have spent money where it should have been spent previously, we are back in the champions league and have a really good squad (crucially with lots of youngsters who can improve).

Furthermore, by selling ADM we can get our winger and centre back in for hardly any more spent.

How are we not any better?

prath92

We'll finish in the top 4 quite comfortably. We're a lot better then Liverpool/Spurs/Southampton

Its finishing any higher then 4th thats going to be the challange. Right now, we're quite behind Arsenal/City/Chelsea
City no. They have a better striker duo. And if ddg leaves they have a better keeper. All the other players aren't any better than our corresponding players based on last season and pre season

Chelsea are actually quite reliant on matic. Without him, mikel and the likes get over run quite easily. We saw that vs Newcastle last season and first half of Liverpool at the bridge.

Sam

City no. They have a better striker duo. And if ddg leaves they have a better keeper. All the other players aren't any better than our corresponding players based on last season and pre season

Chelsea are actually quite reliant on matic. Without him, mikel and the likes get over run quite easily. We saw that vs Newcastle last season and first half of Liverpool at the bridge.
City are clearly ahead of us right now. They have a relatively settled team, and finished 9 points ahead of us last season. They've also added Sterling to an already very good attack.

Do we have the potential to be better if all our signings click? Yeah, I'd say so. But thats just conjecture right now.

prath92

City are clearly ahead of us right now. They have a relatively settled team, and finished 9 points ahead of us last season. They've also added Sterling to an already very good attack.

Do we have the potential to be better if all our signings click? Yeah, I'd say so. But thats just conjecture right now.
They have a settled team but it's an ageing team. Kompany toure and zabaleta look a shadow of their 2011-2013 selves. The likes of Fernandinho, kolarov, nasri and all have been inconsistent as hell. Fernando,sagna, navas, mangala, caballero and all don't seem to be the level city want them.

Sterling is a good addition but they would be basing their season based on just scoring goals. Unless their players come back to their former selves they will struggle at the back

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
We are the fourth best side and we will end up 4th mainly due to the deficiencies in Liverpool and Spurs' ability to break into the top 4.
And those that finish above us will only do so because we are not good enough then? Or looked at another way everyone will finish where they are supposed to based on how good they are?