I'm not worried we wont challenge for the title.....i'm worried we wont make top 4!

Robbie Boy

I expect us to finish 3rd or 4th, I don't think it will be any higher than that. Hopefully we start the season far better than we did last season.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yet, the season lasts until many, many after that. Would you look at that...

This is getting weird, but it's still fun. Yes I'm at work.
Don't get smart with me fella. We need any player deals that we may be involved in wrapped up before the season kicks off so they can inter grate quickly and start learning this damn philosophy.lvg said so himself

We're behind on some positions there's no doubt about that at this stage

Theonas

Scout
Your just cherry picking your points equally. I'm sure LVG will be making a pre-season judgement as isn't that what he's doing in press conferences and buying the players now.
Of course I am. That's the point I'm trying to make. There's no clear top team in the league but a bunch of good ones that it's easy to argue against all of their credentials.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
With so many players coming and going this summer transfer window can go either way. All the quality that the likes Schneiderlin, Bastian and Depay will bring to the side can easily be cancelled out by RVP, ADM and DDG leaving. Hence why we need to make sure we keep signing the right players to replace what we have lost

tom33

As things stand, I am expecting a similar season to last, but hopefully with a stronger start. I can't really see us winning the league, or even really putting up much of a challenge, but I would be a bit surprised if we dropped out of the top 4. Having said that, most neutral fans I've spoken to se to think we'll be right back in the mix for the title, so who knows?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
How are we not any better?
Because we aren't, I guess you didn't read my post, after spending £200 million I'd expect to have a team that could challenge for everything yet we don't.

We've spent all that cash and overloaded our midfield which is great but still haven't replaced Rio or Vidic and up front we sold Rvp and haven't brought another striker in so unless we pull a couple more deals out next week We aren't finishing anywhere near top of the league and we will prob exit champs league early doors too.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Because we aren't, I guess you didn't read my post, after spending £200 million I'd expect to have a team that could challenge for everything yet we don't.

We've spent all that cash and overloaded our midfield which is great but still haven't replaced Rio or Vidic and up front we sold Rvp and haven't brought another striker in so unless we pull a couple more deals out next week We aren't finishing anywhere near top of the league and we will prob exit champs league early doors too.
All it takes is Rooney to get in form again and then suddenly only aguero is a better striker then him and we have the best starting 11 in the league. Our striker situation is tough because Rooney might have a great season, and the only thing is we are light for back up to him, but might be fine with januzaj, Memphis, fellaini, Hernandez and Wilson as back up. All things go well, then we have no problem at all up there, but there's always the chance that Januzaj struggles in the league again and Rooney gets injured and we are a bit fecked up front.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Of course I read your post.

Before predicting what would happen in our season, you essentially said we have spent 200m and are not any better for it. My point is that we replaced our aging, declining squad with a younger one with great potential to challenge. A lot of that squad got us back into the champions league and now we have added 4 excellent players to that. Take Schneiderlin as an example, not only is he only 25 and already a very good premier league player but he has potential to be a truly great midfielder for us.

A great deal of the money we spent was on ADM and we'll get plenty of that back, aside from that the money has bought really good players. I say even with what we now have we will challenge at the top and get to the knockouts in the CL.

Litch

Of course I am. That's the point I'm trying to make. There's no clear top team in the league but a bunch of good ones that it's easy to argue against all of their credentials.
I know but our credentials would look a lot better pre-season with 2 better CB's and cover for Rooney. No clear top team, when did Arsenal last win the league and apart for last season, how long has it taken for Chelsea to win it again. History tells us different my friend....

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
July 23rd
  • We are lacking that Star man/Match winner! (also by BringNaniBack)

July 26th
  • Are we in better shape for this season? ("Without being too negative, I'm worried.")
  • We have the most expensive squad in the league

Tuesday
  • 8 days to go 'till the season starts, and we've STILL not sorted CB yet. Are you concerned?

Thursday
  • Any improvement in the pace of our build up play?
  • Herrera Must Start
  • Louis Van Gaal | 2015-16 Performances Thread
  • Our attack is a mess
  • Pre-season woes
Today
  • Is Van Gaal Preparing for Failure?
  • I'm not worried we wont challenge for the title.....i'm worried we wont make top 4!
Not to forget the worried thread that started before the transfer window was open.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
City are clearly ahead of us right now. They have a relatively settled team, and finished 9 points ahead of us last season. They've also added Sterling to an already very good attack.

Do we have the potential to be better if all our signings click? Yeah, I'd say so. But thats just conjecture right now.
Aguero and Silva would walk in our team but I don't think anybody else would be anything more then a squad player. Sterling depending on how he adapts and if he's improved on the last season. They have more goals in them probably, but we'll see how it goes. I don't think they're better then they were a year ago considering their already old squad is a year older with no real improvements bar sterling.

dannyrhinos89

Of course I read your post.

Before predicting what would happen in our season, you essentially said we have spent 200m and are not any better for it. My point is that we replaced our aging, declining squad with a younger one with great potential to challenge. A lot of that squad got us back into the champions league and now we have added 4 excellent players to that. Take Schneiderlin as an example, not only is he only 25 and already a very good premier league player but he has potential to be a truly great midfielder for us.

A great deal of the money we spent was on ADM and we'll get plenty of that back, aside from that the money has bought really good players. I say even with what we now have we will challenge at the top and get to the knockouts in the CL.
I'm ignoring our midfield though it's probably the best in the league now so I'm not complaining about that I'm just worried how weak we are up front and in defence it'll probably be our downfall from achieving anything this season but we will see.

Jonnymufc

I'm ignoring our midfield though it's probably the best in the league now so I'm not complaining about that I'm just worried how weak we are up front and in defence it'll probably be our downfall from achieving anything this season but we will see.
I can see your point on the attack but it would appear we are still in the market for options to improve that. However, don't you think having a vastly superior midfield will make a difference to the defence? Our options aren't THAT bad, just really exposed last season.

dannyrhinos89

All it takes is Rooney to get in form again and then suddenly only aguero is a better striker then him and we have the best starting 11 in the league. Our striker situation is tough because Rooney might have a great season, and the only thing is we are light for back up to him, but might be fine with januzaj, Memphis, fellaini, Hernandez and Wilson as back up. All things go well, then we have no problem at all up there, but there's always the chance that Januzaj struggles in the league again and Rooney gets injured and we are a bit fecked up front.

Yeah but it's a big if for rooney, last season there were many striker better than him even the likes of berahino, Austin, ings were better performance and stats wise. Rooneys been getting worse year after year, I'm certain we will never see the best of rooney again sadly. He's under tremendous pressure to deliver this year that's for sure.

dannyrhinos89

I can see your point on the attack but it would appear we are still in the market for options to improve that. However, don't you think having a vastly superior midfield will make a difference to the defence? Our options aren't THAT bad, just really exposed last season.
Yes it does help but is LVG going to be playing blind at CB like he has pre season because that's utter suicide.

If smalling, Jones and Shaw are injured which is highly possible because they're made from glass we could be looking at a CB pairing of blind-rojo or Blackett -McNair or similar, imagine that in Europe or against any half decent striker, worst case scenario we could have a back 4 like this,

Rojo - blind - Blackett - valencia

That's basically our back up defence and it Doesn't matter who you have in midfield, if you have that defence you are going to leak goals for fun it's laughably bad. We can't rely on De Gea to save us as much as he did last year.

Jonnymufc

Yes it does help but is LVG going to be playing blind at CB like he has pre season because that's utter suicide.

If smalling, Jones and Shaw are injured which is highly possible because they're made from glass we could be looking at a CB pairing of blind-rojo or Blackett -McNair or similar, imagine that in Europe or against any half decent striker, worst case scenario we could have a back 4 like this,

That's basically our back up defence and it Doesn't matter who you have in midfield, if you have that defence you are going to leak goals for fun it's laughably bad. We can't rely on De Gea to save us as much as he did last year.
I can't deny I am slightly concerned at the Blind experiment (if it turns out that is the plan in the league) as I would be worried about him being bullied. Time will tell on that front I guess. I know there are concerns about the centre-backs injury record but last season was mad in terms of injuries especially injuries happening at the same time so you'd hope that won't be repeated. Don't forget Darmian can play LB so in your scenario I'd actually play:

Darmian - Rojo - Evans/McNair - Valencia

Not perfect but that is assuming 3 injuries to our first choices at the same time.

NoPace

You're making it look worse than it is. You have Jones as the first choice LCB, so it's:

1st choice - Shaw-Jones-Smalling-Darmian
2nd choice - Blind-Rojo-Evans-Valencia
with McNair pushing Evans and Darmian perfectly able to play LB if there's problems there and Valencia at RB looks safer. It's not great but it isn't disastrous.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
I don't see a problem with the OP. The concern is real. We've brought in some talent, but we're letting go possibly even more. RvP, AdM, Falcao, Nani, and most likely DDG. Perhaps each of them had their own struggles, but who's to say all of the new signings will have great seasons? Is it really that foolish to question whether we have made a net improvement in our transfer dealings this summer?

NoPace

I'd say we look likeliest to have an Arsenal style season where we show league winning form for 30-32 games but are calamitous for 6-8 and so finish top 4 with fans arguing over whether we "just need to show the form we showed for 80% of the year for 100% of it" or the manager needs to go.

So, I guess mark me down for Blind starting at LCB, 10 points after 7 games and then 70 in the final 31 for an 80 point season, 3rd place, a League Cup or FA cup win over, uh, West Ham, and a board meltdown over LVG with Klopp or Ancelotti still out there and rumours of Guardiola leaving Munich at the end of the year.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Much of this isn't rational "worrying" as much as excessive pessimism.

Even if we don't buy a single player it stands to reason that:

- Unless we suffer worse from injuries at the back than last season
- Our rivals suddenly strengthen considerably beyond what they have done so far
- It turns out that our attacking options are incapable of improving on last season's numbers
- We haven't improved at all in terms of general cohesion and ability to grasp the "philosophy"
- Our four new acquisitions will do nothing to bolster us either defensively or offensively
- DDG either leaves or delivers a shite season

...we should get 4th with relative ease.

I completely agree that we shouldn't be content at this stage to simply stumble into fourth again, but to actually fear that we won't be able to do that - is unfounded.

And the above is presupposing we won't buy a single player to further add to our options. Which is unlikely.

Hojoon

Going from chasing fourth to winning the league is a huge step that can't be taken within just one season. I think it'll be a bit of a weird season in the sense that we won't challenge for the league yet still comfortably finish top 4.

Oo0AahCantona

Im one of the most pessimistic people on these forums and im not afraid to question and bring attention to problems i see at united, and there are quite a few, but finishing top 4 shouldnt be a concern unless we get Numerous severe injuries to our most important players, the same can be said about any of our rivals.

What you cant knock van Gaal for is our record against the top teams, with the additions weve made we should see a lot more positive results against lesser opposition, and should our record continue vs our rivals, we are in with a shout for top 2 and a good champions league run.

Times change, we arent the unbeatable juggernaut of the premier league we used to be, we are building back towards that for the most part, but it will take a lot of time, patience and investment.

red thru&thru

I wonder how people actually get on in life with such negative attitude…

Nothing at all suggests we'd finish below 4th

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't see a problem with the OP. The concern is real. We've brought in some talent, but we're letting go possibly even more. RvP, AdM, Falcao, Nani, and most likely DDG. Perhaps each of them had their own struggles, but who's to say all of the new signings will have great seasons? Is it really that foolish to question whether we have made a net improvement in our transfer dealings this summer?
I wouldn't call it downright foolish. But it's definitely overly gloomy. In terms of ins and outs alone, based on the out-players' actual contributions last season, it's very hard to see how we haven't done good-to-excellent business.

While the players we've bought may not be enough to finish the puzzle, so to speak, there is no reason to think they won't contribute significantly. All of them are "safer" buys than anything we bought last summer, I'd say.

Add Pedro to that list (looks likely), and it further strengthens us (hard to see how he won't - to what extent is debatable, but that's different).

DDG remains an X factor, granted.

red thru&thru

What did Falcao, RVP, ADM & Nani do for us last year that our league position was down to them?

DDG will be a MASSIVE loss but since he has been our best player we have finished 7th & 4th! So, all the other seasons we've finished above 4th, we've never really had what people would have said is the best keeper in the world at that time, bar The big Dane

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I'm not worried at all. We'll challenge. We'll finally have a real number 7 again in Memphis. Janujaz and Perreirararararara will become integral to the team and we'll have a midfield that will bully any other team off the field. I'm more worried we won't take the fa cup seriously as we hunt another treble. Can't wait for the season to start.

space

If not for complacency at the end of last season we would have finished second, as it stands our squad is much better than last year too. Di Maria is going but tbh he didn't do that much, and I'm confident Mata and Memphis will deliver this season. Mourinho's first season wasn't perfect, but his second season was great, similarly I think LVG will have a much better season too. Also, if we bring in Pedro, a CB and maybe a backup striker, we would have the second best squad in the league, maybe the best if one of the players we bring in is world class. However as it stands I think our squad is just as good as Arsenal and City's with all three squads having exploitable weaknesses. Liverpool have bought well but within their level in my opinion, unless Benteke and Firmino have great seasons and Memphis and our new midfield all flop I can't see them pipping us for fourth. More likely to pip Arsenal or City. Have faith in LVG! his record against strong teams was great and I think we will see a lot more attacking play versus the weaker teams as now we have a midfield which can protect them (also our youth products are quite exciting).

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Going from chasing fourth to winning the league is a huge step that can't be taken within just one season. I think it'll be a bit of a weird season in the sense that we won't challenge for the league yet still comfortably finish top 4.
Man City did basically this from 10-11 to 11-12, no?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Classic United get starved of signings for a while so the fans hit the panic button.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
So two weeks ago we were supposed to have done excellent business filling the most important gaps in the team and now we've fallen behind Liverpool and Tottenham in terms of strength? Quite laughable.

Now I don't think we're good enough to challenge for the title. Our defence and midfield are fine but I don't think we have this unpredictability and flair in attack to be able to dispose of teams with ease, we're going to struggle for goals with Rooney and Depay as our only two reliable sources of goals and you could even argue with either of them as Rooney wasn't too productive last year and Depay is new to the club and league. If Pedro joins and another very good attacker follows then maybe we'll stand a chance.

MDFC Manager

Much of this isn't rational "worrying" as much as excessive pessimism.

Even if we don't buy a single player it stands to reason that:

- Unless we suffer worse from injuries at the back than last season
- Our rivals suddenly strengthen considerably beyond what they have done so far
- It turns out that our attacking options are incapable of improving on last season's numbers
- We haven't improved at all in terms of general cohesion and ability to grasp the "philosophy"
- Our four new acquisitions will do nothing to bolster us either defensively or offensively
- DDG either leaves or delivers a shite season

...we should get 4th with relative ease.

I completely agree that we shouldn't be content at this stage to simply stumble into fourth again, but to actually fear that we won't be able to do that - is unfounded.

And the above is presupposing we won't buy a single player to further add to our options. Which is unlikely.
Once you look at it rationally like that, you'd have to have a really negative outlook in life to still be overly worried.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So two weeks ago we were supposed to have done excellent business filling the most important gaps in the team and now we've fallen behind Liverpool and Tottenham in terms of strength? Quite laughable.

Now I don't think we're good enough to challenge for the title. Our defence and midfield are fine but I don't think we have this unpredictability and flair in attack to be able to dispose of teams with ease, we're going to struggle for goals with Rooney and Depay as our only two reliable sources of goals and you could even argue with either of them as Rooney wasn't too productive last year and Depay is new to the club and league. If Pedro joins and another very good attacker follows then maybe we'll stand a chance.
Mata is a genuine goal threat IMO.

Mata-Depay-Pedro
Rooney

is an excellent front four with pace, trickery, creativity, and finishing(on paper atleast).

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Mata is a genuine goal threat IMO.

Mata-Depay-Pedro
Rooney

is an excellent front four with pace, trickery, creativity, and finishing(on paper atleast).
Yeah, Mata is all right in front of goal and he can finish very well but he lacks that burst of pace or trickery to really deliver when the team doesn't function well IMO. When the team is working and he gets the ball often he'll score plenty. I don't really know why I've not mentioned him there because in 80-90 per cent of games he will be a threat to the opposition.

To be honest Pedro alone could elevate us to title challengers status if he can get back to '11 form. I'd just like another player who can fill central role and replace Rooney when he inevitably hits rough patch at some point during season.

Top 4 should be fine. We won't be far behind the title either come the end of season, at the minute I don't think we will win it but that could quickly change if we hit form properly at the beginning of season. It all depends of how we start IMO, if we go on to have a similar start as last season then there won't be a chance, that's why I'm hoping van Gaal won't mess about with the team and will just put a functioning unit out there. 4-3-3 with playmaker not 3 defensive midifelders, top form players, no messing about, no attempting to look like a genius.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Yeah, Mata is all right in front of goal and he can finish very well but he lacks that burst of pace or trickery to really deliver when the team doesn't function well IMO. When the team is working and he gets the ball often he'll score plenty. I don't really know why I've not mentioned him there because in 80-90 per cent of games he will be a threat to the opposition.

To be honest Pedro alone could elevate us to title challengers status if he can get back to '11 form. I'd just like another player who can fill central role and replace Rooney when he inevitably hits rough patch at some point during season.

Top 4 should be fine. We won't be far behind the title either come the end of season, at the minute I don't think we will win it but that could quickly change if we hit form properly at the beginning of season. It all depends of how we start IMO, if we go on to have a similar start as last season then there won't be a chance, that's why I'm hoping van Gaal won't mess about with the team and will just put a functioning unit out there. 4-3-3 with playmaker not 3 defensive midifelders, top form players, no messing about, no attempting to look like a genius.
I agree. I don't want to see a Carrick/Schweini midfield, I think they'd be too slow and that won't work in the Premier League(for eg Alonso/Bastian partnership didn't work in Bundesliga). IMO this is our best team if we sign Pedro, don't sign a CB and don't lose De Gea.

DDG
Darmian-Smalling-Jones-Shaw
Schneiderlin-Carrick
Mata/Depay-Herrera-Pedro
Rooney

Having said that, just guessing from Van Gaal's pre-season choices it's gonna be Blind/Jones at the back, Depay playing behind the striker and Mata at right wing. Herrera has to start for me, whether in an advanced midfielder position or just as two midfielders.