I'm not worried we wont challenge for the title.....i'm worried we wont make top 4!

Sam

I don't see Southampton or Spurs finishing above us. No way... But Liverpool yeah I can see that happening. A couple more signings though and it goes back in our favour.
Liverpool have a good attack (on paper) but the rest of their team is pretty crap in all honesty.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
To an extent yes... We may well go on to have a good season. But I don't think that's what most are concerned about. The issue is that the style of football is not what we've come to expect.
Probably true. If not “most” then certainly “many”. As in, a considerable amount of people. They aren't “worried” about results as much as fed up watching us play unconvincing (and boring) football.

It's a valid concern in my opinion. The problem is that there's so much moaning going on here at the moment that it's tempting to tell anyone who moans, about anything, to piss off. It's not fair, though.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I know it's only the first game but apart from Liverpool, all our rivals failed to win. For all the stick United had yesterday for their performance, Arsenal and Chelsea hardly looked convincing. The current champions needed an own goal and a cross-cum-shot of a freekick to go in.

Doesn't justify the fact that we didn't shine yesterday, but it does show that it isn't unusual to start off rather shitty. We're 3 points up compared to the situation we were last year.

Basically calm the feck down. Sure there's some negatives that LVG needs to iron out, but some people made out yesterday as if we lost the match and that our rivals had already won their matches before they even kicked off.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Liverpool have a good attack (on paper) but the rest of their team is pretty crap in all honesty.
I think their defence will improve too. Clyne is an upgrade and Gomez seems like he'll also be an improvement. Plus Lovren can't be as bad this season surely?!

I know it's only the first game but apart from Liverpool, all our rivals failed to win. For all the stick United had yesterday for their performance, Arsenal and Chelsea hardly looked convincing. The current champions needed an own goal and a cross-cum-shot of a freekick to go in.

Doesn't justify the fact that we didn't shine yesterday, but it does show that it isn't unusual to start off rather shitty. We're 3 points up compared to the situation we were last year.

Basically calm the feck down. Sure there's some negatives that LVG needs to iron out, but some people made out yesterday as if we lost the match and that our rivals had already won their matches before they even kicked off.
Thing is I personally am past worrying about results. Yeah sure I want us to do well and I want to win the league but after two seasons are rubbish I just want us to entertain again.

vibe

I'm pretty sure we can make top 4, maybe even hover around the 3rd and 2nd place for a little while. We'll certainly not have any sphincter-clinching games away at Selhurst to determine our participation in the CL, I reckon we'll have that in the bag far earlier this season and we'll be a solid distance away from the 5th placed team.

seaNNN

my posts are shite but my gobbles are alright
We are getting top 4 easy this season why is their such a lack of optimism on here atm? None of the top teams were really firing on all cylinders this weekend yet we managed to get a win against one of the stronger teams in the league and we were no worse than any of our rivals. Not really sure why so many are bigging up Liverpool either Clyne alone isn't going to cure their shocking defence nor does Bogdan fix the goal keeping slot. They are still awful and don't phase me one bit.

NoPace

Not a great start for Spurs, Everton or Southampton, so top 4 status looks off to a good start. Liverpool got 3 points but don't seem to have played well.

LexiRed

Not a great start for Spurs, Everton or Southampton, so top 4 status looks off to a good start. Liverpool got 3 points but don't seem to have played well.
Liverpool looked like absolute dogshite today. Ibe played alright, clyne played well, coutinho had a good moment. Other than that, incredibly sloppy football

Rich_H_1989

We are getting top 4 easy this season why is their such a lack of optimism on here atm? None of the top teams were really firing on all cylinders this weekend yet we managed to get a win against one of the stronger teams in the league and we were no worse than any of our rivals. Not really sure why so many are bigging up Liverpool either Clyne alone isn't going to cure their shocking defence nor does Bogdan fix the goal keeping slot. They are still awful and don't phase me one bit.
Why are you so convinced we are a shoe in for top 4? Ignore results and performances yesterday as its not worth discussing. I'm just interested to know why you are so sure?

Yes our midfield is much much improved but our attack looks thin and maybe lacking in goals. And our defence currently has a CB midget with no pace... Oh plus the GK isn't happy and will most likely leave.

It's not all doom and gloom so I'm not trying to say it is. We've made some brilliant signings in the summer but we are still short. You take Rooney out (who no matter what people say will finish our top goalscorer) and where are the regular goals going to come from?

People will call me pessimistic. I see it as just being realistic. We've come a long way in a season from Moyes disaster but we still have a long way to go. Liverpool were dire last season which allowed us to get the top 4. I don't expect them to be as bad this year.

SirBobbysCombover

Squirming around on a dusty barber shop floor
Based on last season's showing and improvements we have made to the squad, bar the child like hysteria after the season opener, logic points that we will finish in top 4.

Arse and chelski both flopping illustrates to any viewer, not to panic after season opener ladies, now relax and enjoy the bumpy road to a title challenge.

DiceRoller

I can't say with any certainty that we'll make top 4. While the names in our squad maybe read better than Liverpool's for example, we fumble from one game to the next without a definitive starting XI or game-plan.

I think Arsenal, City and Chelsea will be better than us over the course of the season and it will be a battle with Liverpool for 4th.

This comes down primarily to LVG and the tinkering and fooling around he's going to do along the way. Aside from the run of 5/6 games last year with Liverpool/City etc. I've never seen anything to suggest otherwise.

But I'm a realist and there is one game of the season gone so everything can change.

Question234

Why are you so convinced we are a shoe in for top 4? Ignore results and performances yesterday as its not worth discussing. I'm just interested to know why you are so sure?
We will get top 4 this year the same way we did last year, by directly taking points of our rivals.

Lvg knows the big games.

RedFish

i'm worried that we'll lose the youngsters that have gone through our youth system, that might become future stars...adnan, pereira......

stepic

Of course well make top 4, jesus. We've improved on last year whereas our rivals, besides City, have stayed the same.

Sereques

I dont doubt us making 4th and it is way too early to doubt that, but Liverpool have massively improved their squad too.
So you are saying if we had sign, Firmino, Clyne, Benteke, Ings and Liverpool signed Basti, Morgan, Darmian and Memphis, we've massivley improve over Liverpool? Seriously?

Rich_H_1989

So you are saying if we had sign, Firmino, Clyne, Benteke, Ings and Liverpool signed Basti, Morgan, Darmian and Memphis, we've massivley improve over Liverpool? Seriously?
Liverpool's biggest problem last season was a lack of goals. I think Benteke massively helps that and if Firmino is as good as he's looked in highlights (always a dangerous way to grade a player so I'm not sure either way) then they will get more goals as a team.

It's not a case of comparing transfers as we needed different things entirely. But both teams have improved a lot this summer.

Sereques

Liverpool's biggest problem last season was a lack of goals. I think Benteke massively helps that and if Firmino is as good as he's looked in highlights (always a dangerous way to grade a player so I'm not sure either way) then they will get more goals as a team.

It's not a case of comparing transfers as we needed different things entirely. But both teams have improved a lot this summer.
Wait, you guys lose me easily. we concede 37 goals and everyone and their dog is saying we need a top class CB before we can compete but Liverpool that conceded 48 goals only have a goal scoring problem? :confused:

Rich_H_1989

Wait, you guys lose me easily. we concede 37 goals and everyone and their dog is saying we need a top class CB before we can compete but Liverpool that conceded 48 goals only have a goal scoring problem? :confused:
Oh Liverpool have a defence problem too... But they've added Clyne and oh that other young guy who's playing left back and looks really good! Plus if they'd have scored more goals last year then the goals they conceded wouldn't have mattered as much.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
@OP: Why not go full-on pessimistic and start a "Will be dragged into a relegation battle" thread?
Should we put you on suicide watch?
"United to be wound down and Old Trafford to be old for scrap"

markelphick

We'll definitely make top 4, LVG proved that last season.. We need to push further this year, at least a top 3 finish and progress in the cups. Maybe win one of them.

Shark

@NotShark
We'll definitely make top 4, LVG proved that last season.. We need to push further this year, at least a top 3 finish and progress in the cups. Maybe win one of them.
With the help of DDG bailing his ass out time and time again.

Question234

And DDG will be here to bail us out for another year :lol:

We'll get fourth, if last year proved anything it's that we shouldn't worry about liverpool taking our top 4 spot.

LVG will run circles around rodgers/wenger when it comes to tactics. You'll see.

Shark

@NotShark
And not with the help of a massive injury crisis and so called world class players underperforming.
True, although aside from De Gea I'd argue that we didn't have any world class players last season. Bastian is the only one that comes close now, on merit.

Those Liverpool and Everton home games come to mind when talking about De Gea bailing him out. He basically won us those two on his own.

markelphick

Agreed. Apart from DDG saving our butts last season, I thought Mata was brilliant for us. Expect more of the same from him this season.

Question234

No it's not. If we carry on as we are (from last season), it'll be a season full of genuine complaints and painful games. Nothing fickle about it.
ssssssh no truth allowed you fickle spoilt ungrateful fan.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
True, although aside from De Gea I'd argue that we didn't have any world class players last season. Bastian is the only one that comes close now, on merit.

Those Liverpool and Everton home games come to mind when talking about De Gea bailing him out. He basically won us those two on his own.
Raheem Sterling (now of City) had a HUGE hand in them too.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
This. Finishing ahead of teams like Spurs,Liverpool,Southampton is really the bare minimum. We have to be looking up the table. If Carrick didn't get injured V City last year we may well have finished above City or Arsenal or both. Remember he only started 16 games last year. Now we have reinforced CM we should be pushing on.

Sereques

Oh Liverpool have a defence problem too... But they've added Clyne and oh that other young guy who's playing left back and looks really good! Plus if they'd have scored more goals last year then the goals they conceded wouldn't have mattered as much.
:rolleyes:

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
That isnt what I said? I havent said they habe improved over us, but they've improved massively TOO. In reality with the right additions they could have made, they can make huge steps this season.

lem8sh

Definitely don't see us finishing above City or Chelsea in fact I think we'll be miles off them. United and Arsenal to battle it out for 3rd again with Liverpool lurking dangerously.

ravelston

And DDG will be here to bail us out for another year :lol:

Agreed. Apart from DDG saving our butts last season, I thought Mata was brilliant for us. Expect more of the same from him this season.
I know this is heresy (and I also believe that DDG is a great keeper) but DDG actually faced around the same number of shots last season as Hart, Courtois and Ospina/Szczesny (adjusting for number of games played) and was pretty much tied with Courtois for the lowest save percentage in the group. He's a great goalkeeper for many reasons, but the "saving our butts" bit gets a little overstated.