I'm not worried we wont challenge for the title.....i'm worried we wont make top 4!

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
If Rooney keeps performing the way he has been and still keeps his place in the side which it looks like he will then we are going to have a serious battle on our hands just to get fourth.

Spoony

The People's President
Because of what he said.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29949390

That leads me to believe that the board understood he needed time to rebuild, but at the same time achieve a reasonable target.
"The process shall take more than one year; it shall take three years." Basically he expects us to hit our potential after three seasons, that's end of next season. I suspect he's not implying that it's just about hitting top four. I mean is that it? Is that our potential? The goalposts keep moving he's now just building the foundations for future generations!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
We certainly should be able to make the top 4 this season, but I'd argue it's more because it's not going to be one of the most difficult years to get into it. Certainly, I still think we'll struggle to crack the top two and 3rd is likely as good as we'll get.

C'est Moi Cantona

Yeah that's probably more accurate. He made his bed, now he can lie in it. Last year we had a big squad with few games, this year the exact opposite. I don't get it.
I think LvG just makes up his mind on players and gets shut whether there is a replacement or not, it's madness in some respects but also so decisive which is a good attribute to have imo, the amount of deadwood he has got shut of is staggering, but like you I think he has over done it a bit in hindsight.

I do wonder if we have something lines up for January if things aren't going well, but probably not.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
No way on Earth we'll be outside top 4 - who's going to replace us - Liverpool or Spurs hahahahahahahahaha
Only question is can we overtake City
I certainly think we'll make the top 4 this season, but either of them two finishing ahead of us isn't that implausible.

Cerpin

If Rooney keeps performing the way he has been and still keeps his place in the side which it looks like he will then we are going to have a serious battle on our hands just to get fourth.
Who exactly is going to keep us out of the top 4? Liverpool and Tottenham have been shit so far. Will they improve? Probably. But so will we; we're bedding in five-six new players so far -- a rusty start is to be expected. To be fair, Liverpool have bedded in quite a few players this season too, but I'd say our squad is quite a bit stronger. The only players of theirs that would get into our starting XI are Coutinho and Benteke.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It is -- also other posters saying we have a small squad , no we don't , same as the others - problem last season we had too many players and completely unbalanced which has now been sorted
It's really not. It's unlikely, yes, but hardly impossible if we have a very poor season. Liverpool and Spurs haven't looked all that so far, but you'd still reckon they'll probably hit somewhere between 60-70 points unless they have an incredibly poor season. If we don't have a great season, we're hardly guaranteed to surpass our points total of last season. We'll probably finish ahead of them, as we should be doing since we're aiming to build on last season, but it would be arrogant of us to assume it's a foregone conclusion.

mattsville

We need to score more goals, simple as that, you could go onto the finer details of why we aren't but it would span several threads most likely, if we get a goal threat about us we will be fine, but last season it was an issue and it continues this season, fix that and who knows what we could achieve.

Name Changed

weso26
I do not think we have any chance of challenging for the title. I think we'll be challenging with Liverpool for fourth but ultimately come out on top with a game or two to spare.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It is -- also other posters saying we have a small squad , no we don't , same as the others - problem last season we had too many players and completely unbalanced which has now been sorted
Yeah, I'd largely agree with that. We've now got a shitload of keepers, but beyond that we've got a normal size squad with a normal amount of backup for the positions LVG uses.

GK: De Gea (Romero, Johnstone, Valdes)
CB: Mike, Blind, Phil, Rojo, McNair (Carrick)
LB: Shaw (Blind, Young)
RB: Darmian (Valencia)
CM/DM: Schweinsteiger Schneiderlin, Carrick (Blind, Fellaini)
AM: Memphis, Herrera, Rooney, Fellaini (Mata, Pereira)
Wide: Memphis, Mata, Young, Martial, Pereira (Wilson, Valencia)
CF: Rooney, Martial, Wilson (Fellaini, Memphis)

Numbers wise, that's hardly catastrophic.

NoPace

I certainly think we'll make the top 4 this season, but either of them two finishing ahead of us isn't that implausible.
Didn't seem so a month ago, but they've looked shaky as hell to start the year. Spurs are playing Dier in midfield and struggling to create anything.

Most likely Kane starts scoring, Lovren gets benched and both teams improve, but right now both teams look likely to fail to hit 70 points with the Prem's bottom 14 teams having spent a fair bit. I think, especially with De Gea staying, we'll be too strong defensively not to at least hit that mark.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Yeah, I'd largely agree with that. We've now got a shitload of keepers, but beyond that we've got a normal size squad with a normal amount of backup for the positions LVG uses.

GK: De Gea (Romero, Johnstone, Valdes)
CB: Mike, Blind, Phil, Rojo, McNair (Carrick)
LB: Shaw (Blind, Young)
RB: Darmian (Valencia)
CM/DM: Schweinsteiger Schneiderlin, Carrick (Blind, Fellaini)
AM: Memphis, Herrera, Rooney, Fellaini (Mata, Pereira)
Wide: Memphis, Mata, Young, Martial, Pereira (Wilson, Valencia)
CF: Rooney, Martial, Wilson (Fellaini, Memphis)

Numbers wise, that's hardly catastrophic.
Exactly and there are a few other combinations too like Darmian LB and even CB, Herrera CM etc
LvG has the squad and type of players he's wanted ie a lot of young multi-functional players and a few experienced older players like Rooney/Carrick/Schweini and Young/Valencia
Like the idea, only concern is are we one forward/striker short? If these youngsters can gel quickly you never know

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Like the idea, only concern is are we one forward/striker short?
We could be. But then again it could play out nicely if Rooney hits a bit of form.

Thing is, if we presume that Rooney is still a top player on his day, the backup options aren't that bad. As people keep bringing up, and rightly so, it's not like our rivals sport world beaters as backups for their main strikers either. Arsenal don't sport much at all in that department, for that matter.

If Rooney is finished, however, we're a bit fecked. But them's the breaks at this stage. If he's done, we need to replace him with a top player - not some sort of half plausible second stringer which we could have bought this window (but what's the actual point? I'd rather give youth a chance myself).

NJM78

This is my worry, we aren't winning the league I'd bet my left one on that right now but making top 4 could be once again a battle of the average teams. Despite Chelsea start I firmly believe they will finish 2nd this season behind City. Arsenal just have too much quality to not carry on being this shite so I have them finishing 3rd so then it would be us and Liverpool probably the two most boringly mundane sides to watch in the league right now and maybe Spurs battling it out.
Getting even a resemblance of the old Rooney scoring again (0 in 10 and no away league goals in 17 months) and De Gea back in goal will surely make the difference but I cant see higher than 4th place finish, injuries could really cripple us more than other teams imo.

Oneunited26

I think LvG just makes up his mind on players and gets shut whether there is a replacement or not, it's madness in some respects but also so decisive which is a good attribute to have imo, the amount of deadwood he has got shut of is staggering, but like you I think he has over done it a bit in hindsight.

I do wonder if we have something lines up for January if things aren't going well, but probably not.
That I agree with, my problem with VG is the lack of direction he has got, changing one formation to the next. I think he is too ruthless and it's a put off for players, not many are wanting to sign for the club is you could be out of the club within a year, because you don't follow his vision, which only he knows what it is, and that I don't think he knows

JoaquinJoaquin

No way on Earth we'll be outside top 4 - who's going to replace us - Liverpool or Spurs hahahahahahahahaha
Only question is can we overtake City
That most be the most rose tinted thing I've read in a few weeks.

I'll answer that question now for you and save you the grief, Not a chance in hell we will overtake City this season.

walkinhop

City has the best attack in the league. However, they are 1 or 2 injuries away from crashing. Arsenal are the same team as last year, Chelsea are in shambles. As long as we don't lose Smalling and our attacks starts working at 50%, i see us securing top 3/4 without any problems.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
City has the best attack in the league. However, they are 1 or 2 injuries away from crashing. Arsenal are the same team as last year, Chelsea are in shambles. As long as we don't lose Smalling and our attacks starts working at 50%, i see us securing top 3/4 without any problems.
Exactly. City looks great going forward but still look prone to smash and grab job some teams attempt to do, sadly the same hold for us as well.

I still think we'd finish second this season, not only because we have a great defensive team with very few teams likely to score a lot of goals against us, also because the other teams are pretty frail as well. Chelsea don't have a class replacement to Matic and their mid lacks the balance between creativity and balance with Cesc and matic. Arsenal, despite their attacking trouble, have seen Coquelin exposed a few times this season. We are perhaps as good as these teams in controlling matches and I think we can score goals once we give the team some time to settle in.

Nickosaur

Martial is key now, I think. We're not going to kick on if Rooney keeps up his uninspiring performances up front. If the plan is to play Rooney behind Martial, and that goes well, I'd be confident of 3rd, maybe even 2nd.

City scare me. Other than that, the other 'big' teams look awful. They will improve just as we will, though. Should be an interesting season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Martial is key now, I think. We're not going to kick on if Rooney keeps up his uninspiring performances up front. If the plan is to play Rooney behind Martial, and that goes well, I'd be confident of 3rd, maybe even 2nd.

City scare me. Other than that, the other 'big' teams look awful. They will improve just as we will, though. Should be an interesting season.
City look like they'll be very hard to catch. I'm hoping they drop points next before us so that we can at least stay within touching distance, but if that doesn't' happen I can see it quickly becoming a slug-fest between the others for the 3rd-5th positions. Hopefully City's bubble bursts soon. Second non existent title race in the league would be a bit dull too.

Question234

we have got a very horrible october, so it will be very difficult to catch city. Lets still see if lvg has it in him to beat the big teams.

IMO de gea staying confirms top 4 tbh, he'll saves us more points than a tesco clubcard and the defence is hard to break down this year.

walkinhop

Exactly. City looks great going forward but still look prone to smash and grab job some teams attempt to do, sadly the same hold for us as well.

I still think we'd finish second this season, not only because we have a great defensive team with very few teams likely to score a lot of goals against us, also because the other teams are pretty frail as well. Chelsea don't have a class replacement to Matic and their mid lacks the balance between creativity and balance with Cesc and matic. Arsenal, despite their attacking trouble, have seen Coquelin exposed a few times this season. We are perhaps as good as these teams in controlling matches and I think we can score goals once we give the team some time to settle in.
Good post. To summarize, no team in the league has a well-balanced squad with depth. Good first teams but not really complete squads.

dustfingers

Supports
MMC
Good post. To summarize, no team in the league has a well-balanced squad with depth. Good first teams but not really complete squads.
Yeah, exactly. But this forum seems to be so much negative when we lose. I think we had a decent transfer window. People wanted Wilson to be given time and while also saying not being ready to step up while also claiming he's a good talent. I think he'll get his chance to shine this season along with Martial and to decide whether he can make it here or not. While our forward may not look great on paper, I'd at least expect a United forum to be positive about the chances youth prospects are going to get in that position and perform. We also have good cover in defensive and midfield positions which was our main short-comings last season and we should be able to deal with freakish injury crisis should any arise at the club. There is no reason we can't finish second this season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I'm probably a weirdo but I don't care about top 4, I just want to see us build a team, a young team that can be successful in the future. We have the material, so we should just build the foundation of a great team and care about results later.

JoaquinJoaquin

Don't see how asking a question is rose tinted ?
By the way the same was said 3 years ago and look what happened there
But we had Sir Alex in charge then, Now we have a guy who talks a great game and not an awful lot of anything else so far...

JoaquinJoaquin

I'm probably a weirdo but I don't care about top 4, I just want to see us build a team, a young team that can be successful in the future. We have the material, so we should just build the foundation of a great team and care about results later.
That would be great if we were in the NBA, But Football is a results business when it comes to money and fanbase etc. we cannot afford to do that.

JPRouve

Scout
That would be great if we were in the NBA, But Football is a results business when it comes to money and fanbase etc. we cannot afford to do that.
We can totally afford to do that, United won't lose a lot of fans or sponsorship because they decided to build something, it's "only" a 2 or 3 years process. Now it's too late that's something that the club should have planned just after SAF's retirement.

JoaquinJoaquin

We can totally afford to do that, United won't lose a lot of fans or sponsorship because they decided to build something, it's "only" a 2 or 3 years process. Now it's too late that's something that the club should have planned just after SAF's retirement.
I would of loved to of seen a new generation coming through, In fact I would of used the Ronaldo money (fecking LOL) at the time and invested it in talents of the future for that to happen. But hey it never and now we simply cannot afford to gamble any longer without becoming Liverpool.

JPRouve

Scout
I would of loved to of seen a new generation coming through, In fact I would of used the Ronaldo money (fecking LOL) at the time and invested it in talents of the future for that to happen. But hey it never and now we simply cannot afford to gamble any longer without becoming Liverpool.
I agree that now it's too late. 2013/2014 was badly planned and the club is paying it now.

Smores

If Liverpool still had Suarez I'd be very worried but they don't.

It would take some very poor form from us to not secure top 4. Possible of course given how we've started but unlikely.