I'm not worried we wont challenge for the title.....i'm worried we wont make top 4!

ghagua

Putting aside how angry I am with how the club is being run right now, I just cannot see where the goals are going to come from to get us up the table with some wins.
LvG told Hernandez he has 1% chance of playing. He could have helped with Martial doing well out wide creating a few chances.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Man Utd has been very unlucky with injuries but when players are returning back from injuries you can field a team good enough to scrape top 4.
I think that the 4th team will be at 70pts, do you really think that United are going to score 40pts out of 57?

Thoraximus

Latin for deep throat
It doesn't matter about finishing in the top 4 because we're going to win the Europa league anyway.

Draw every game and just practice our penalties like mad.

oop

Treble

I think that the 4th team will be at 70pts, do you really think that United are going to score 40pts out of 57?
66-67 points could do the job provided that Leicester won't be able to sustain their form (as many expect) and Liverpool won't dramatically improve on their preformances at home. However, even 66 points may be too difficult for us to achieve.

Water Melon

I don't see us finishing in top 4, unless LvG lets the team play differently. I am afraid that Liverpool will finish above us in the table, which will show the difference between LvG and Klopp. It will also show that our Board need to be ruthless when it comes to spending money and getting desired results. I am also afraid that the manager will spend another 50-60 million quid next month and still get fired at the end of the season. Thus we will be left with a squad mainly built by van Gaal, and the next manager may want to build his own one. Half a distance into his contract LvG has not shown anything to suggest that he has what it takes to make us a real power in the league.

mu77

To state the obvious we need goals. Which means a January transfer if not we will finish between 5-8th.

JPRouve

Scout
66-67 points could do the job provided that Leicester won't be able to sustain their form (as many expect) and Liverpool won't dramatically improve on their preformances at home. However, even 66 points may be too difficult for us to achieve.
I don't want to be pessimistic but we won't make more than 65pts.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I don't want to be pessimistic but we won't make more than 65pts.
Do you think Leicester is going to keep this form up or scrape enough points to secure top 4? I'm confident they won't.

JPRouve

Scout
Do you think Leicester is going to keep this form up or scrape enough points to secure top 4? I'm confident they won't.
I see Liverpool scoring as much points or more than us and I also don't think that we are goind to score 9 more points than Leicester.

Treble

Leicester have won 39 points in the first half of the season. Even if they win only 26 points in the second half, they will still have a decent chance to finish in top 4. It will be difficult for United and Liverpool to win 36 points, especially given that both teams play in Europa league and could suffer from injuries and fatigue.

buckooo1978

I really think it depends on the transfer window now.....

I still expect Leicester to drop out and City and Arsenal are going to be the top 2

Spurs are more consistent, Liverpool are good one week, poor the next and we are in the worst slump I can remember since we finished 13th in 1990.

I think we need a CB and a RW desperately - adding solidity to defence and a bit of balance and creativity is really important - we really could do with a striker as well - adding that CB means we can use Blind/Rojo to cover Shaw's absence and play Darmian at RB

Spurs are a hardworking well organised side but they are reliant on Kane - an injury to him will hurt them bad with Son their only real backup - could see them moving for Beharino tho

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I see Liverpool scoring as much points or more than us and I also don't think that we are goind to score 9 more points than Leicester.
It took a freak run of 3 losses and a draw by Man Utd for Liverpool to equal the points. They are just as shit as United and even more so I'd say. I am confident United is not gonna have such a shit month like December again.

JPRouve

Scout
It took a freak run of 3 losses and a draw by Man Utd for Liverpool to equal the points. They are just as shit as United and even more so I'd say. I am confident United is not gonna have such a shit month like December again.
You can say the thing about Liverpool, they are not going to lose again against Newcastle or Watford while we might lose our lucky early wins.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
You can say the thing about Liverpool, they are not going to lose again against Newcastle or Watford while we might lose our lucky early wins.
True. I just think they are even more inconsistent than United is. I was also confident about United scraping fourth last season and I'd bet my money again on United getting top 4 this season.

Havak

Pokemon master
right....
Easy to take a post from August and say that.. :)

Did you really think we'd go and win 4 games out of 17 at this stage? Be out of the Champions League and League Cup and look so out of sorts? This was all before the transfer window had even ended and we'd made a reasonable start (deadwood out, some quality in midfield in etc).

If you did predict in August that we'd be like this then fair enough ;)

Devil may care

Who is going to score a dozen goals in the second half of the season to help us get the 4th spot points? I just don't see anyone in our squad adding double figures worth of goals to their tally this season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Who is going to score a dozen goals in the second half of the season to help us get the 4th spot points? I just don't see anyone in our squad adding double figures worth of goals to their tally this season.
Best option would be to get a quick wide player in and hope Martial delivers beyond his years to guide us to 4th.

Devil may care

Best option would be to get a quick wide player in and hope Martial delivers beyond his years to guide us to 4th.
Or........and I'm not saying he's worth this under normal circumstances.......offer Everton £60-65M for Lukaku, despite how good the TV money is right now I don't think they'd turn down a British record fee.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
We'll still finish in the top 4.

JPRouve

Scout
40 points from van Gaals next 57 games. Yes.
You gave me an idea with those 57 games. That's the amount of league games managed by Van gaal, during that time we scored 100 points, which means that we average 1.754 points per game, which means that statistically we should record 33.3 points in the next 19 games, which equals to 63 points.

NJM78

You gave me an idea with those 57 games. That's the amount of league games managed by Van gaal, during that time we scored 100 points, which means that we average 1.754 points per game, which means that statistically we should record 33.3 points in the next 19 games, which equals to 63 points.
I actually think we will finish on 58 points this season. I went through our remaining fixtures and made predictions like a right sad fecker. But yes statistically you are right and even with the league being so unpredictable I believe 63 will not be enough for a top four finish.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
It doesn't matter about finishing in the top 4 because we're going to win the Europa league anyway.

oop
Haha
Or........and I'm not saying he's worth this under normal circumstances.......offer Everton £60-65M for Lukaku, despite how good the TV money is right now I don't think they'd turn down a British record fee.
Yes, they almost certainly would reject it. Whow are they going to get to replace him with that money? It's a gamble.

They paid £32m for him and he has been a success. He is young and scores goals.

PL proven goalscorers are worth so, so much money right now.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I am seriously concerned as I do not think we have the personnel in attack - no matter how we play or who is in charge - to reach a top 4 place if the others perform reasonably in line with expectations.

We simply have to get a player or two in January to change this. It's absolutely desperate stuff.

Devil may care

Yes, they almost certainly would reject it. Whow are they going to get to replace him with that money? It's a gamble.

They paid £32m for him and he has been a success. He is young and scores goals.

PL proven goalscorers are worth so, so much money right now.
They paid £28M for him, I think they'd accept over double what they paid for him, they simply don't have the kind of money to turn that down no matter the TV deal, especially when they'll never get a club as desperate as we are right now willing to offer that much.

David Court

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I think 68 points enough for 4th this season.
So only 38 points out of 57.
Still a tough ask though.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
They paid £28M for him, I think they'd accept over double what they paid for him, they simply don't have the kind of money to turn that down no matter the TV deal, especially when they'll never get a club as desperate as we are right now willing to offer that much.
Aren't Everton in talks over a sale to some wealthy Americans? Doubt they'd sell, although I would love Lukaku at United.

JPRouve

Scout
I think 68 points enough for 4th this season.
So only 38 points out of 57.
Still a tough ask though.
70 is an approximation and I don't see us match Arsenal's current record.

Devil may care

Aren't Everton in talks over a sale to some wealthy Americans? Doubt they'd sell, although I would love Lukaku at United.
I haven't heard anything about them being in talks to sell, but if they are then that would scupper any deal, although I do feel Lukaku will be off regardless within the next 18 months.

David Court

Supports
Charlton Athletic
70 is an approximation and I don't see us match Arsenal's current record.
Not sure I understand relevance of Arsenal here but I agree you won't be able to match them this season

sunama

Baghdad Bob
oop
Nice plan.
The problem is we suck at penalties, too. Remember the Middlesborough game?
We just can't put the ball at the back of the net.

JPRouve

Scout
Not sure I understand relevance of Arsenal here but I agree you won't be able to match them this season
You said that we will score 68pts, to do that we will need to match Arsenal's first half of the season.

David Court

Supports
Charlton Athletic
You said that we will score 68pts, to do that we will need to match Arsenal's first half of the season.
Oh, ok, thanks.

No, you're right, that's unlikely without some dramatic change in form

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
United need to win the Europa League. Top four looks a way off. We are becoming a second rate side, where taking part not winning is what we hope for. We should be winning the Premier League. Instead we are hoping to finish fourth. Ugly.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I think everyone can agree that Arsenal and MC are assured of a top 4 finish. That means 5 teams (LC, Tot, CP, Liv, MU) fighting for the last two spots. That looks doable. However, it's very likely Tot or LC will finish in top 4 based on current position and form. I can see one of the two falling quickly from a bad run, but not both. That means we are really fighting with 4 and 1/2 teams for the fourth spot. The half represents either WH or another team hanging around till the end. Based on the fact our form is equal or less than the other teams at present, than it is easy to project we have about a 20 to 25% of getting in top 4. Not good odds.