g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

I'm worried about Rashford

ExoduS

Great players can live up to the hype and focus on getting better every day. I am not worried about Rashford, I am excited for him. With good support circle and correct mindset he will be the legend one day. As long as he never forgets that he needs to stay focused and work hard as long as he plays football he will be fine!

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
I agree. Going to the Euros with England is not beneficial to him at this stage of his career. I think Rashford's situation is worse than Macheda and Januzaj because in addition to the United hype he is "England's new hope".

Much like Rooney, Wilshere and Barkley before him, he won't match the massive over hype and will be labelled shit. Give it a few years and you'll have stories saying how ridiculous it is that he's in an England squad ahead of some average clogger. In the same way as Wilshere and Barkley got with Danny Drinkwater for the Euros.
Good post.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if he starts much under Mourinho. I guess it depends how much business you get done before the season starts.. but, ideally, I can't see Mourinho wanting him to be anything more than a lad who plays about 1000 minutes over the season.

MounchesterUtd

Every hyped young player worth his salt encounters his own 'flight or fight' predicament; a crossroads in their career that separates the Bojans and Januzajs from the actual cream of the crop. Will the Euros be Rashford's, or will it be next season under Jose? We will only know in hindsight.

As many have mentioned here, protecting him now will not necessarily guarantee success in the future. He will eventually face scrutiny and criticism, so why not start him young? Besides, there's Kane as England's new hope, Rooney as the 'face' of the team, Hodgson's coaching, and Sterling's personal life to take the spotlight off him. This might actually be the best ever set of circumstances for him to make his international debut. Going back to United, he'll have Jose who's fiercely protective of his players (for the most part), potentially Ibra, Rooney, De Gea and Martial to take the pressure off him. He'll also have Carrick and Schweini to learn from which will only do him well.

For what it's worth, I don't think I've ever seen anyone in my years of watching football make as much immediate impact as Rashford did in his first four months.
  • First team debut, must win game, in a match you didn't expect to start in the first place? Scores a brace.
  • Arsenal first team comes to OT with title ambitions in his first league match? MOTM performance.
  • First Manchester derby? Scores the winner.
  • First cup Final? Acquits himself well and would've won MOTM if he hadn't gone off IMO.
  • First game for England? Goal with his first touch.
I'm a firm believer that while hard work is important in football, some people just have that special trait inside that keeps them extra cool during times of pressure. Rashford seems to have both, and if he stays away from injury and negative influences in life, I can see him becoming a staple of United's future.

Reactions: Akshay

DevilRed

Tidy little debut for him and added alot of pace and directness to that left flank. Not his natural position but clearly can skin players at the drop of a hat.

Hopefully he gets to start the next match. The likes of sterling and lalana have been rubbish. Rashford should get the chance.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Can beat a man for fun, should play ahead of Sterling imo.

RedElf

Rashford should start ahead of Sterling and Lalana as they are both pants. Really chuffed he got on the pitch and tasted that atmosphere.

AkaAkuma&

The kid does not let the occasion get to him, a trait needed to become a great player. And Rashie has proved again and again that he has it in him, so my only worry is that Jose does not under use or misuse him.

Reactions: Varun

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Rashford should start ahead of Sterling and Lalana as they are both pants. Really chuffed he got on the pitch and tasted that atmosphere.
He should either be starting or a sub. Should have been a sub (for Sterling) in the first match. Hopefully Woy will see that because he needs to play the best players in this tournament rather the ones he feels he ought to give a game too. We're not there to lose, we're there to win and Rashford is playing better than most at the moment.

Revan

Assumptionman
He's as mature as Martial. We have two of the best young prospects in the attack, IMO. Really, there is nothing which separates him to the likes of Dembele or Sane who are labelled as the next big thing.

I might be slightly overenthusiastic, but this guy is great. Likely he should't start for us next season all the time, but if Mourinho gives him 15 starts and 15 other performances from the bench, it would be very nice. His our best prospect in two decades.

Varun

Staff
The kid does not let the occasion get to him, a trait needed to become a great player. And Rashie has proved again and again that he has it in him, so my only worry is that Jose does not under use or misuse him.
Yup. For all his footballing qualities, that's a big thing he has going for him. Seems utterly unfazed by any situation. Think the commentator mentioned it too. When he came on, you'd normally expect a kid making his Euro appearance to be all pumped up, run onto the pitch, etc. He was absolutely calm, no nonsense, slotted into position and got on with it. This mentality will hold him in great stead for years to come.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yup. For all his footballing qualities, that's a big thing he has going for him. Seems utterly unfazed by any situation. Think the commentator mentioned it too. When he came on, you'd normally expect a kid making his Euro appearance to be all pumped up, run onto the pitch, etc. He was absolutely calm, no nonsense, slotted into position and got on with it. This mentality will hold him in great stead for years to come.
Agreed, he is unfazed by any situation/occasion. Borthwick Jackson was also like that when he came on against Liverpool at anfield where even our senior players get nervous.

Looks like this is common trait among few of our young players. Fosu Mensah came on against Arsenal but looked very comfortable.

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Got so much joy from him coming on last night. Hoping he can be first sub in the next game as with Vardy and Sturridge scoring I can see Roy starting them both. I don't think he's got the bottle to make 3 changes and put Rashford in there. That said Kane will probably be the first to come on followed by Sterling. Just hoping Rashford gets a chance to make an impact on this tournament.

junglemusic

He looks like a real star player, you didn't quite get that with Macheda or Januzaj.
I dunno, I thought Januzaj was outstanding during part of that Moyes season. He was dancing round with the ball for fun. Although that could have been because the standard of the other 9 outfield players had dropped so dramatically.

prath92

Mourinho will definitely start him. I think I have posted this before but Rashford is now someone who played in euros for England. Mourinho plays young players if they are ready. Rashford sure is.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
I love this kid, fantastic attitude and great ability. One of Mourinho's biggest tests is going to be how he handles this guy's development (Evil Bobby Charlton will no doubt be watching like a hawk!;))

And I expect both Jose and Marcus to pass with flying colours in fairness. Rashford in my opinion won't be a consistent starter, but he will be our first choice to replace Ibra in the ST role and our new wide player, whoever that may be, in the RW area. Pretty much the same way we handled a young Ronaldo, although even better because Ronaldo couldn't fill in as a striker at such a young age. With the Europa League and Cup competitions factored in with the inevitable injuries we shall suffer next year. Marcus definitely won't be short of game time!

Ballache

Supports
Martial
His mentality is what excites me the most, yes he's still raw and there's a lot of areas that need to be improved (which is to be expected as he started playing senior football 6 months ago). I really hope he becomes a great player for us, would be brilliant to have a Manc playing at a high level for us.

paulscholes18

Need to use him correctly, and not run him in to the ground so his finished by the time he's in his mid 20s like M. Owen & Patrick Kluivert

AkaAkuma

Looking at some of the England training pics, he looks the odd man out, feel sorry for the kid - 4 weeks away without an obvious friend.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Looking at some of the England training pics, he looks the odd man out, feel sorry for the kid - 4 weeks away without an obvious friend.
Can you post them? Can't be that hard to get on with a group of lads kicking a footy about.

Ibi Dreams

I'm sure Rooney and Smalling are doing their bit. He is a lot younger than them though and most of the other players. Not necessarily a big deal if it is true, and given the way that he and England have played I think there must be a good team spirit going

Larseno

Have already posted a opinion. But I dont agree with does who think being in the Euro16 would hurt him. I think he will learn a lot of this. And in retrospect when you see hes involvement against Wales Im in no doubt that he has a handel on this.

I think most of the speculation in here is only based on previous (bad) experiences and not based on Rashford personally. People who have worked with Rashford are saying Rashford is lvl headed. Hes not one to lose footing. And after seeing hes performance against Wales and watching him jell at a teammate for not passing to him, im in NO doubt that Rashford doesnt feel much pressure. Im almost 100% sure this will not hurt him.

Bruno8

He wont play as much PL games as he played last season (including most of the young academy players) but he will play most of the EL games because Jose doesn't fancy it, League Cup and possibly a couple of FA Cup games depending on opposition.

The PL will be tougher next season and depending on how United will be playing Jose will mostly likely play youngsters ONLY if we are doing well. If results are not good he will stick with Senior player and ditch the academy lads. Pressure from the media and fans will most likely influence his decisions because lets face it he will be under immense pressure from the get go due to his past antics and also that he is not excatly universally fancied by all fans. In short circumstances will determine how much game time Rashford & Co will get

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He wont play as much PL games as he played last season (including most of the young academy players) but he will play most of the EL games because Jose doesn't fancy it, League Cup and possibly a couple of FA Cup games depending on opposition.

The PL will be tougher next season and depending on how United will be playing Jose will mostly likely play youngsters ONLY if we are doing well. If results are not good he will stick with Senior player and ditch the academy lads. Pressure from the media and fans will most likely influence his decisions because lets face it he will be under immense pressure from the get go due to his past antics and also that he is not excatly universally fancied by all fans. In short circumstances will determine how much game time Rashford & Co will get
If Rashford outperforms senior players, he'll play, it's that simple.

MounchesterUtd

Imagine if Rashford actually outperforms Ibra. Will be great for his career, but the media will have a field day with United's "Galactico policy" :lol:

CS@SG

Imagine if Rashford actually outperforms Ibra. Will be great for his career, but the media will have a field day with United's "Galactico policy" :lol:
I will be very happy to see that. Even happier to see the face of Ibra fan boys here.

Bruno8

When LvG sticked with Rashford the criticism was "yes he is good but we cant be relying on an 18 yr old if we want to win PL".

,Like I said media and fan pressure will influence most decisions. If Jose plays him over Ibra he will be criticised forpoor galactico purchaseof a 35yr old and if Ibra plays over Rashford Jose will be attacked for stalling his progress over a galactico. This is why United job is massive and will need a Manager who sticks to his guns like what LvG did in some instances rightly or wrongly

When LvG sticked with Rashford the criticism was "yes he is good but we cant be relying on an 18 yr old if we want to win PL".

,Like I said media and fan pressure will influence most decisions. If Jose plays him over Ibra he will be criticised forpoor galactico purchaseof a 35yr old and if Ibra plays over Rashford Jose will be attacked for stalling his progress over a galactico. This is why United job is massive and will need a Manager who sticks to his guns like what LvG did in some instances rightly or wrongly
I don't think any of what you're saying will become an issue. A good striker coming from the bench can be devastating, and I'd almost say it's a must for a team that hopes to challenge. Injuries may also play a part.

John Blund

Based on performance in Euro2016, Rashford got nothing to worry about. I'd be more worried on behalf on club legend Rooney.

Bruno8

His long term future is not yet in doubt. Looks like he will be safe. I hope the change of Manager wont affect him the way it did with Januzaj. He is very close to Jesse, Blind and Smalling, players that the redcafe generally dont want to see in the 1st Team/ XI and if those guys are kicked out I hope it wont affect him pyscologically and emotionally. \He is still very young so such things can affect his state of mind

SteveW

His long term future is not yet in doubt. Looks like he will be safe. I hope the change of Manager wont affect him the way it did with Januzaj. He is very close to Jesse, Blind and Smalling, players that the redcafe generally dont want to see in the 1st Team/ XI and if those guys are kicked out I hope it wont affect him pyscologically and emotionally. \He is still very young so such things can affect his state of mind
You think people don't want Smalling in the team???

NoLogo

If Rashford would have come on 10 minutes earlier I'm almost positive you lot would have gotten the equalizer.

Oh and i have no doubt about him getting his chances if he keeps playing with the same attitude he has shown all through last season and this tournament.

GBBQ

If we sign another CB, yes people would rather a new expensive import play ahead of Smalling
really? I got the impression most saw it as Smalling plus 1 in defence, someone playing Vidic to his Ferdinand.

Personally I had him as captain elect for when Rooney winds down.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I will be very happy to see that. Even happier to see the face of Ibra fan boys here.
You shouldn't really. If he does, it will only mean Zlatan has underperformed for you. Weird thing to wish for.

JoaquinJoaquin

It will have absolutely no bearing on Rashford at all. He will know football is a cut throat business and at a club like United players are always likely to leave and arrive at a quick pace. Plus Smalling won't be going anywhere, I doubt Blind will either (for this season).

Red_Aaron

the kid is fearless, at the highest level such character can make all the difference. He'll have more competition for his place this coming season but i expect him to rise to the challenge better than so many other youngsters have in the past. He'll be a regular by the end of the season imo

in 5 mins last night he was englands motm, absolutely criminal of Woy to only give him 5 mins