Injured players not making themselves available to play

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Where do you stand on Smalling? Jose thinks he could/should be on the pitch.

Smalling confirmed he was a knee brace till last week, doing pool work a few days ago.
Presumably the medics who had Smalling in the knee brace and doing pool work are just peddling fake expertise, or lack Mou's ability to sense "real" injuries.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Klopp has questioned Sturridge attitude?. Was he out of order?
Yes.

Also, note that he criticised one player, not several players including one he had previously held up as an example of the sort of bravery he wanted.

John Johnson

Smalling and Jones aren't that good even when fully fit anyway. If the rest of the team hadn't been in such a sorry state that it needed a 150mil injection, they would've been replaced in the summer

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He did call them out before, but not today. There is indeed a comparison to Mata because he praised Mata instead when being asked a question over Jones and Smalling. That said, Jose still didn't "call them out again". This would be akin to Jose responding to a question over Rooney by saying he doesn't want to talk about Rooney, but praises Ibra instead and the media portrays it as an attack on Rooney.

I would call a spade a spade if he brings up Jones and Smalling during the post match press conference without being asked, but there's no calling them out from his part in that interview. That's just being silly saying that.
I've just watched the interview now. The look on his face when asked about Smalling and Jones I thought was quite telling, he immediately grimaces and dismisses them before going on about Mata being brave. He wasn't asked about Mata, but he immediately shuts down any talk of Smalling and Jones and bigs up Mata's recovery. I still think his angle is quite clear here.

I'm not even saying I agree with what Jose is doing. I don't, really. I think all this should be kept behind closed doors, and he could tell the reporters something very vague and diplomatic. Rightly or wrongly, Jose doesn't appear pleased with Smalling and Jones and their lack of availability, and I think what he has said today is, yet again, making that known.

Manny

Grammar Police
What about players carrying on after a slight injury, Rojo V Anderlecht if he came off 1st time around a very good chance he would be playing today, same with Pogba V Burnley, also Bailly today he's out longer then he would have been, it is down to Jose throwing people under a bus
:lol:

Dobbs

I don't know. I just don't think he's that mad he would expect a player who's not fully fit to play. Maybe he asked for a day or 2 more. It's just strange that Mata, who had an operation is back and these 2 are not.
You do know he was in a leg brace a week ago, doing pool work to re strengthen the muscles a few days ago. Offer an opinion, do you think he should be able to play right now?

You can't suddenly fence sit when you've entertained all sorts of ideas about Jones.

Son Of Sam

I've just watched the interview now. The look on his face when asked about Smalling and Jones I thought was quite telling, he immediately grimaces and dismisses them before going on about Mata being brave. He wasn't asked about Mata, but he immediately shuts down any talk of Smalling and Jones and bigs up Mata's recovery. I still think his angle is quite clear here.

I'm not even saying I agree with what Jose is doing. I don't, really. I think all this should be kept behind closed doors, and he could tell the reporters something very vague and diplomatic. Rightly or wrongly, Jose doesn't appear pleased with Smalling and Jones and their lack of availability, and I think what he has said today is, yet again, making that known.
As if keeping it behind closed doors would "automagically" turn manginas like Smalling/Jones into Maldini/Baresi. All these keep things behind closed doors is the reason these lads got spoilt in the first place. It's better they are exposed for refusing to put their body on the line.

Are we also forgetting these pussies are still being paid week in week out while doing nothing? Get them out before they poison the rest of the squad. They are hopeless when fit & useless when injured.

Jose ranted & ranted that the duo should be ashamed for letting Bailly start 9 consecutive games - they didn't yield to Jose's rants until Bailly started 11 consecutive games and ran himself to the ground. We are better off without Smalling/Jones.

MadMike

As if keeping it behind closed doors would "automagically" turn manginas like Smalling/Jones into Maldini/Baresi. All these keep things behind closed doors is the reason these lads got spoilt in the first place. It's better they are exposed for refusing to put their body on the line.

Are we also forgetting these pussies are still being paid week in week out while doing nothing? Get them out before they poison the rest of the squad. They are hopeless when fit & useless when injured.

Jose ranted & ranted that the duo should be ashamed for letting Bailly start 9 consecutive games - they didn't yield to Jose's rants until Bailly started 11 consecutive games and ran himself to the ground. We are better off without Smalling/Jones.
The state of this post. Shameful

red4ever 79

I am ok with Mourinho calling these two out. We have developed soft players the past 4-5 years. Players earning a good wage happy to sit on their arse and not put their body on the line for our football club.

Dobbs

Presumably the medics who had Smalling in the knee brace and doing pool work are just peddling fake expertise, or lack Mou's ability to sense "real" injuries.
Odd how the posters who believe Mourinho have no opinion on Smallings situation. Almost to the point where they don't acknowledge it.

Feels like a debate with Trumps followers.

Manny

Grammar Police
I know everyone keeps wanting to focus on Smalling and his frigging knee brace but I think Jose's comments are more directed at Jones.

Its just impossible to not talk about one without the other being brought up. Or being accused of picking on players.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Lets say Jones really is as injured as many believe, what exactly would Jose achieve with these comments? He would shoot himself in the foot imo so it has to be more to this.

MadMike

I know everyone keeps wanting to focus on Smalling and his frigging knee brace but I think Jose's comments are more directed at Jones.

Its just impossible to not talk about one without the other being brought up. Or being accused of picking on players.
It is entirely possible, I have no idea why you think so.

Reporter: "Jose, what's the state of Jones and Smalling?"
JM: "Smalling only recently started doing light training so he's some way off but Jones, if he's brave, he could be back as early as next week. He needs to work harder cause we need him back ASAP."

There, answering the question about both without criticising both. If he's criticising both, it's because he wants to most likely. Not because he has no other option.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Exactly.
The shocking thing is that these guys are getting paid a small fortune - money which most people would walk over hot coals to earn. But our "softies" won't take any risks or endure any pain when the team are in desperate need.
The likes of Rojo/Ibra only declare themselves injured when they get a cruciate ligament injury. Compare them to Smalling/Jones who routinely remain injured for large periods of season, it does make you wonder if they are expecitng to be 100% fit, before playing (which is almost never going to happen) or if they are genuinely injured in a way which would hinder their movement on the pitch.

In any case, I think it's pretty obvious that Jose will either sell Jones/Smalling OR will not renew their contracts. Jones in particular, won't be able to fetch a transfer fee, as his body is not suited to football. In today's interview, when asked about them, he didn't even want to talk about them. I can only assume that Jose is is removing Smalling/Jose from his plans and from his thinking.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
dunno why I'm bothering again posting about this again...

His comments do nobody any good at all period. It's not worked, never did work and never will work

It's basically an anti team building technique. And gives some of our more gullible supporters unrealistic expectations now, that some think every player should be playing injured or coming back early

I'm not going to comment again but would just like to re-emphasise the above, I'm baffled with his comments at times this season

But benefit of the doubt for now. I can only assume he is planning a mass clearout and bringing in a large number of his own players. although next season he will not have any excuses if we see the same shit again

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Lets say Jones really is as injured as many believe, what exactly would Jose achieve with these comments? He would shoot himself in the foot imo so it has to be more to this.
He did the same thing with Smalling earlier in the season and it did blow up in his face. He accused Smalling of not being strong enough or something, praised Smalling when he did play through injury vs Chelsea (which was his worst performance all season) and the diagnosis of the injury was actually far worse than what Mourinho purported it to be.

Coxy

dunno why I'm bothering again posting about this again...

His comments do nobody any good at all period. It's not worked, never did work and never will work

It's basically an anti team building technique. And gives some of our more gullible supporters unrealistic expectations now, that some think every player should be playing injured or coming back early

I'm not going to comment again but would just like to re-emphasise the above, I'm baffled with his comments at times this season

But benefit of the doubt for now. I can only assume he is planning a mass clearout and bringing in a large number of his own players. although next season he will not have any excuses if we see the same shit again
This. The guy is like a bully at times. Similar to how he treated that lady physio back at Chelsea. Not a nice guy at all at times.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

I never said it would?

Not keeping it behind closed doors causes rumours to swirl around that neither of them are really all that injured, when none of us really have any idea about the severity of their condition at all, which leads to baseless vitriol from our own fans aimed at particular players, kind of like the vitriol in your post. I just don't think that is needed.

Right now, Smalling and Jones' reputations are rock bottom, because many have taken Jose's word as gospel. There's no benefit of this being public, even if Jose is right about Smalling and Jones supposedly being softies.

Manny

Grammar Police
It is entirely possible, I have no idea why you think so.

Reporter: "Jose, what's the state of Jones and Smalling?"
JM: "Smalling only recently started doing light training so he's some way off but Jones, if he's brave, he could be back as early as next week. He needs to work harder cause we need him back ASAP."

There, answering the question about both without criticising both. If he's criticising both, it's because he wants to most likely. Not because he has no other option.
And exactly the sort thing Jose would get criticised for saying in here. Singling out players, bullying and questioning their character.

At least if he says 'they need to be brave' no one can say he is bullying.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I've no love for anyone involved in this mess - not Jones, Smalling, Shaw or Mourinho. I find it very hard to take the players' side, well these three anyway. I'd want Jones and Smalling gone this summer regardless, and Shaw hasn't done a thing to show why he shouldn't join them.

On the other hand our manager is an obvious cock whose best years I'm increasingly beginning to think are well behind him.

Maccataq

Not what I asked. You said it's possible they could return quicker from these particluar injuries. I asked how do you know this and did you say this anywhere before Jose's comments?

You equate injuries with being soft? Robson was injured a lot. Was he soft?
Excellent point. I think it's the injuries that can make you soft, rather than getting injured because you're soft. Jones gets injured because he is a bit reckless and clumsy. I think the more time you spend injured, the less confident you become about playing through injuries. Robson was a warrior though and would have played through almost anything.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
He did the same thing with Smalling earlier in the season and it did blow up in his face. He accused Smalling of not being strong enough or something, praised Smalling when he did play through injury vs Chelsea (which was his worst performance all season) and the diagnosis of the injury was actually far worse than what Mourinho purported it to be.
Smalling has been mostly injury free the last two seasons so it's a little bit odd.
With Jones it's not behind the realms of possibillity that some of his issues are on the mental side. He's been injured so much since joining and we can't afford "passangers" of that sort going forward.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I am fully supportive of Jose on almost everything but this. The public criticism of players needs to stop. Fall out with them if he so wishes but do it behind closed doors. It's pretty much a weekly thing now. He comes out and has a pop at someone in the squad.

prtk0811

I am fully supportive of Jose on almost everything but this. The public criticism of players needs to stop. Fall out with them if he so wishes but do it behind closed doors. It's pretty much a weekly thing now. He comes out and has a pop at someone in the squad.
May be he wants the fans to know.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
May be he wants the fans to know.
Wants to know what?

Shaw played through cramp 2 weeks ago and got praised and now Jose's being sarcastic about him in the post match presser. Smalling played through injury earlier in the season and now gets routinely criticized for not trying hard enough. Jones' attitude has never been in question and regularly got stick on here for being too rash and considering his health. Now he gets called soft by idiots on here :lol:

It's fecking ridiculous. If he doesn't like them get rid of them. This weekly nonsense he comes out with is unnecessary and fecking annoying.

Celestiale

Some people in here are pathetic. I hope they pick up serious injuries making them unable to work and doing sports for a while, while being accused of simulating...those people don't deserve anything else for their stupid rants without having any clue what so ever. Smells strongly like Uncle Donald supporters.

Dobbs

News just in from the Shaw thread. He also is faking or exaggerating injury. For some unknown reason.

DevilRed

None of which has anything to do with my post really.

I don't care if he sells Smalling and Jones. In fact I thought Jones should have been sold long ago as he is ridiculously injury prone. Publicly attacking them before they're sold is counter-productive though and won't stop us from underachieving this year either.
Don't think he is attacking them. Rather look at mata and other guys who rush to come back.

I think he wants them to show more commitment and actually make an effort to come back and help the team.

Neither of them had surgery so it's a matter of pain management to an extent?

Bailly has now gone down as a result of not being able to rotate.