Internationals October (World Cup Qualifiers + Nations League Finals)

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Really impressed with Enrique. Look at the players it's worse than our team but that midfield completely dominated a world class French team. The intensity and pressing which they displayed through the game was brilliant. When was the last time we played like that ? Matic would be bloody brilliant under him.

It isn't like the possession for the sake of it either. Quick slick passing but forward plays and combinations with diagonal runs. I know he won't leave Spain national team after all his personal issues but if ever leaves, he should be one in contention for United job.

Withnail

Only if you consider Mbappe isn't challenging for the ball or impacting Garcia... And I don't see any way the VAR could make the argument he isn't.
He isn't impacting his ability to play the ball.

His actions cause him to attempt to play the ball. However, impacting his ability to play the ball is a different thing.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
You would think so, but that's not the way the rules are applied.

See the below goal for example. The defender obviously only plays the ball because Watkins is there but that was enough for it to be onside, which was later confirmed as the correct decision.

And in case people think that's just English interpretations, there was also a similar Haaland goal that was allowed against Paderborn in Germany and again confirmed afterwards as being correct.

It's stupid but thems the rules.
Good examples.

You'd also see the same incident flagged and given offside in other games, which further just shows how stupid the rules are.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You would think so, but that's not the way the rules are applied.

See the below goal for example. The defender obviously only plays the ball because Watkins is there but that was enough for it to be onside, which was later confirmed as the correct decision.

And in case people think that's just English interpretations, there was also a similar Haaland goal that was allowed against Paderborn in Germany and again confirmed afterwards as being correct.

It's stupid but thems the rules.
Yeah I was furious about the Paderborn one, absolutely a rule that needs to be changed/clarified

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
My issue is with the interpretation of the intent from the Spanish player
It’s a very easy and simple decision for the officials. Garcia deliberately plays the ball.

I think the directives need changing though.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Anyone else baffled? How can he be clearly offside from one angle and clearly onside from another?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Anyone else baffled? How can he be clearly offside from one angle and clearly onside from another?
San Siro is made of small hills and depending on the angle the field elevation gives you the impression that a player is closer or farther.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Angles can be REALLY decieving one way or another.

That being said, I agree with the fact that the rule is ridiculous if Mbappe was onside because of the Garcia tackle, it doesn't make sense.
I remember that a couple of years back, the rule in France was "if the players that was supposed to receive the passe receives it dispite a deflection (intentional or not), it's still offside. If it's another player that wasn't supposed to receive it without the deflection, he's not offside". It was far more logical but sometimes hard to enforce since refs had to guess who was the pass for.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes, you are right. It's just unfair tbh. Basically his effort is what ruined them.
It's actually not unfair, we have been so used to it that we don't realize that the defense is setting an offside trap. It would be unfair to give the defense two chances to not mess up their trap.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If it results in goal, team usually get punished by the previous foul. So the foul in here was Mbappe was offside when his teammate tried to play him, as he gained clear advantage later on.

Pascal

Problem is Dale Johnson forgets that rules clearly state there is a difference between deliberate play and deliberate save which has to make Mbappe offside

A player is gaining an advantage if a ball is played:

i. that rebounds or is deflected to him off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent having been in an offside position

ii. that rebounds, is deflected or is played to him from a deliberate save by an opponent having been in an offside position

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save by any opponent) is not considered to have gained an advantage.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
After tonight that rule will change for sure, because it puts the defender in a catch 22 situation from the striker gaining a positional advantage unfairly. That said, fans may wonder why Spain did not play like in the last 15 minutes more… they clearly showed to have another upper gear in their engine.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It's not even that obvious Mbappé was offside...

Well... from the line of the 6 yard box you can clearly see the angle of the picture is tilted to the left- so just tilt your head a bit to the right and voila - he's offside again :lol:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
After tonight that rule will change for sure, because it puts the defender in a catch 22 situation from the striker gaining a positional advantage unfairly. That said, fans may wonder why Spain did not play like in the last 15 minutes more… they clearly showed to have another upper gear in their engine.
Are you really wondering why a team doesn't always play the way it plays when they're 1 goal behind in a final ? Because they can't and it's far too risky.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered to have gained an advantage.

What do you consider "a save"? because i think it is exactly was eric was trying... he tries to deflect to avoid mbappe taking the ball, but he just barely touch is because the ball is not under his control

By the way... this wasn't a pen... is this position "natural" at all? the right arm is too extended. (i cannot post pictures)

http://cdn.resfu.com/media/img_news...-en-2021--captura-la1.png?size=1000x&ext=jpeg

Withnail

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent, who deliberately plays the ball (except from a deliberate save), is not considered to have gained an advantage.

What do you consider "a save"? because i think it is exactly was eric was trying... he tries to deflect to avoid mbappe taking the ball, but he just barely touch is because the ball is not under his control

By the way... this wasn't a pen... is this position "natural" at all? the right arm is too extended. (i cannot post pictures)

http://cdn.resfu.com/media/img_news...-en-2021--captura-la1.png?size=1000x&ext=jpeg
You're reaching mate.

A save is when a goalie makes a save.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Quite happy with the team.
They can play and challenge the world champion, also doing tests and with new players, like Gavi or Yeremi.
Eric García was pretty good but I think for the moment I prefer Pau.
A shame Benzema's immense goal, if they had held on 1-0 we could have slept more the game with some changes

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

The rules explain what is considered a save, and it's not that.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This France squad is surely among the greatest NT squads ever, the amount of quality, of skill, the potential to shine and entertain, it's just a stunning group filled to the brink of exceptional top players - and then they are managed by the most nihilistic manager imaginable.
What a tragic waste. This guy parks the bus worse than Mourinho. The Spain squad is full of mediocre players and no name youngsters, and Deschamps sits back with 5 defenders aiming to counter.
feck this guy. He's literally the worst.
How many from the current squad would get into France best and even 2nd best XI? I can’t think of any.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
How many from the current squad would get into France best and even 2nd best XI? I can’t think of any.
Germans advocating bel giuoco / joga bonito is the utmost insult to the current WC and NL holders. :wenger:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
From the spanish squad? Azpi for sure, that's pretty much it. Laporte could potentially even if Hernandez and Kimpembe are propably enough.

Cloud7

Quite happy with the team.
They can play and challenge the world champion, also doing tests and with new players, like Gavi or Yeremi.
Eric García was pretty good but I think for the moment I prefer Pau.
A shame Benzema's immense goal, if they had held on 1-0 we could have slept more the game with some changes
Where’s Olmo? Really liked the look of him at the Euros

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
http://proreferees.com/2019/03/19/tor-vs-ne-deliberate-play-on-the-ball/
deliberate play (FIFA definition):

To be considered "deliberate", FIFA concludes that 4 things need to happen:
  1. A defender goes to play the ball – conscious action
  2. The defender has time and options
  3. The defender has control of his actions – not the outcome of the action
  4. There is distance and space between the pass and the defender playing the ball

Who on Earth can think that Eric has time and options? IT IS NOT A "DELIBERATE PLAY".
Eric has like a second to make a decision and his only options are to try to deflect the ball (what 100% of the players would do) or just trust that the attacker is in offside (what is absurd).

So, the rules doesn't need to change, they only need to be applied accordingly.

And I'm still waiting for a clarification of the 1st half handball, as it is miles away from kounde's body and it doesn't look very natural.

You're reaching mate.

A save is when a goalie makes a save.
a save can be made by a regular player

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
http://proreferees.com/2019/03/19/tor-vs-ne-deliberate-play-on-the-ball/
deliberate play (FIFA definition):

To be considered "deliberate", FIFA concludes that 4 things need to happen:
  1. A defender goes to play the ball – conscious action
  2. The defender has time and options
  3. The defender has control of his actions – not the outcome of the action
  4. There is distance and space between the pass and the defender playing the ball
Man, chill, it's only the Nations league, nobody really cares.
On top of that you're not being honest, the article doesn't say that these 4 things need to happen, it says it's "considerations", meaning elements you need to take into account. It's not cumulative requirements even if you pretend it is.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
From the spanish squad? Azpi for sure, that's pretty much it. Laporte could potentially even if Hernandez and Kimpembe are propably enough.
I was replying to the post about the current France NT players is among the greatest NT ever.

Just got back from the game.

Pogba was immense BUT he was free to chase the ball around. He defended when he felt like it, France set up to play that way and Spain didn't push them. He can't play like that here.

Mbappe was shit.

Busquets is still so impressive, cheating scrote that he is.