IPL 2014

Varun

Staff
Yes my reverse jinx worked @Varun @moonred but for a long time I thought this game was a lost cause
It did look tough when they got 200 specially given both openers failed. Pandey was exceptional though. Bailey got it spot on saying it was a very ballsy innings. Pathan caught at long on going for a six, next ball, Pandey heaves an identical delivery for 6 right at the same spot.

Some of the decision making was bad even for a 6yr old though. Both Pandey's and Yadav's dismissal. Incredibly stupid. Its shouldnt even have been a close finish.

VP

Wrong forum. Move this shite to the entertainment forum.

VP

Think it's an important contribution. Plenty of similarities between IPL and WWE.

Member 60376

Some of the decision making was bad even for a 6yr old though. Both Pandey's and Yadav's dismissal. Incredibly stupid. Its shouldnt even have been a close finish.
Absolutely, very poor in applying themselves. Especially Yadav, he was new

Varun

Staff
Think it's an important contribution. Plenty of similarities between IPL and WWE.
Except the most basic one which makes IPL Cricket a sport and WWE an entertainment item which is attempted to pass on as sport for the idiots.

VP

Except the most basic one which makes IPL Cricket a sport and WWE an entertainment item which is attempted to pass on as sport for the idiots.
Both have arguably manufactured results, screaming fanboys, rampant misogyny. "entertainment item which is attempted to pass on as sport for the idiots" - that's the IPL in a nutshell.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Both have arguably manufactured results, screaming fanboys, rampant misogyny. "entertainment item which is attempted to pass on as sport for the idiots" - that's the IPL in a nutshell.
Nice wum. Must try harder.
6.5/10

VP

Nice wum. Must try harder.
6.5/10
Nah, the whole's thing a farce about as real as Harsha Bhogle's hair. The greatest sporting contests in the world started of as contests, not marketing exercises. Literally every aspect of the game, from the rules to nomenclature, has been whored out. Half the time the attention's on a bollywood wanker putting in the greatest acting performance of their careers pretending to know the difference between long on and third man. Rest of the time, it's on cheerleaders gyrating their hips in front of leering men behind a fence. To top it, the master of ceremonies is a shameless double murderer masquerading as some sort of comic genius. The fact is in 100 years people will view the IPL the way we view the gladiators in Rome - a garish symbol of a decadent culture.

Last edited:

Varun

Staff
Nah, the whole's thing a farce about as real as Harsha Bhogle's hair. The greatest sporting contests in the world started of as contests, not marketing exercises. Literally every aspect of the game, from the rules to nomenclature, has been whored out. Half the time the attention's on a bollywood wanker putting in the greatest acting performance of their careers pretending to know the difference between long on and third man. Rest of the time, it's on cheerleaders gyrating their hips in front of leering men behind a fence. To top it, the master of ceremonies is a shameless double murderer masquerading as some sort of comic genius. The fact is in 100 years people will view the IPL the way we view the gladiators in Rome - a garish symbol of a decadent culture.
You seem to be confusing between it being played out according to a script (the entertainment forum reference, manufactured results etc) and the entire thing not being purely about the sport(the celebs, cheer leaders, entire drama around it etc) which isnt to your taste. They are 2 very different things.

I couldnt care less whether or not you like the IPL, just dont be daft and compare it to the WWE. There's nothing arguable about the WWE being played out according to a script, thats why its pure entertainment even though its masqueraded as a sport for those who dont have a clue. The IPL isnt scripted, therein lies the difference.

EDIT: Forgot to address the part in bold.

Do you really believe this nonsense? IPL's a symbol of decadent culture?

This might be a stellar revelation to you but scantily clad women dancing, celebs (cricketers and otherwise), and hot chicks are things people like to see for a long long time. There's nothing groundbreaking with these happening in the IPL. Its just an event that's a money making machine because it mixes everything in a 6hr package and feeds it to the public.

Agree with @VP. It's shit.
If he'd simply said its shit, I wouldnt even have replied because I couldnt care less whether or not he likes the format or the event. Its absolute bollocks like move this to the entertainment forum, its like the WWE, manufactured results etc that's absolute nonsense.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If he'd simply said its shit, I wouldnt even have replied because I couldnt care less whether or not he likes the format or the event. Its absolute bollocks like move this to the entertainment forum, its like the WWE, manufactured results etc that's absolute nonsense.
He's probably semi trolling. I'm all for IPL bashing though.

Varun

Staff
He's probably semi trolling. I'm all for IPL bashing though.
I'd hope so because some of the things he's said is proper mental.

I watched the IPL this year after a 3-4yr gap as I was done with college and just waiting to join work. FM on the laptop and IPL on the TV is a good mix I found out :P

I must admit am not a big fan of all the drama that surrounds it either. Absolutely cringeworthy to see SRK yesterday for instance even though I support KKR. My personal dislike for the drama doesnt make it "not a sport, its like WWE" though. That's a daft thing to say.

VP

The WWE comparison was obviously a bit of a throwaway comment. Although I'm not sure if everything is entirely unscripted especially after last season.

I also just realized we have a 297 page WWE thread on the Caf. No wonder we didn't win the Internet Forum Award thing.

Skills

Snitch
IPL's great fun. Hope we can have a leg here in the UK some time in the near future. Could also do with a bit more international T20 cricket. I love my day out of test cricket and all, but unless you've literally got feck all else to do with your life it's pretty hard regularly dedicating a whole day to go out and watch cricket. Same applies with ODIs which take up a whole day. T20's a good medium.

zing

Zingle balls
IPL's great fun. Hope we can have a leg here in the UK some time in the near future. Could also do with a bit more international T20 cricket. I love my day out of test cricket and all, but unless you've literally got feck all else to do with your life it's pretty hard regularly dedicating a whole day to go out and watch cricket. Same applies with ODIs which take up a whole day. T20's a good medium.
T20 is a good format. The WC T20 a is really enjoyable tournament to watch.

It's only when you have 4-5 rubbish to ordinary domestic players that the quality severely drops because there are some players who make a living out of bashing the 4th/5th medium pace trundlers and pie chuckers.

Then throw in the awful anchors, the loud music(I stopped going to IPL matches even when free tickets are given), Danny Morrison, Sivaramakrishnan, product placement, likes of Shah Rukh in the stand..

Cannot bring it down further if you tried.

They purposely sell it as Bollywood razzmatazz. It is working for them at the moment.