Is Harry Maguire being a worldwide punchline deserved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moodyred

It's a problem with the club that the fans refuse to stand by our 4th choice centre back when we are relying on him until the end of the season and he has zero match sharpness
The fact us, we cannot rely on him. We played better with Shaw and Lindelof in CD. Maguire is a walking disaster for united.

Tap

It's a problem with the club that the fans refuse to stand by our 4th choice centre back when we are relying on him until the end of the season and he has zero match sharpness
What has the fans got to do with his match sharpness. He is 4th choice and is naturally not playing as often as he would like.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Replace him with someone young tall and quick. He should move to a west game etc type club.

But no the worldwide punch line thing is still not right.

red.knight

Every PL team has figured out Maguire can't play the ball forwards along the ground when in possession. United either get pegged back while Maguire is passing sideways across the defence or lose possession when he hoofs it forward. His turning circle is slower than a cruise ship in the Suez Canal, and he is a red card waiting to happen with his unnecessary challenges. He's nearly 30. He's clearly not good enough for United. Too arrogant to accept his own weaknesses as player. Giving Maguire the captaincy was imo a huge part in Ole Gunnar Solksjaer's downfall as United manager. There's no redemption for Maguire at United sadly. Too many chances and almost all squandered. Surely he’s scored his last own goal for United. Makeweight in a transfer maybe or just farm him off somewhere but who’d have him. Feel for the lad really as it’s written all over his face. You have to say Lindelof looked far more comfortable without Maguire.

Reactions: esmufc07

buchansleftleg

Any front player knows exactly what Maguire will do when he gets the ball...2 touches to control it....2 little prods to get it out of his feet or change direction....big look to where he is going to pass the ball...slowly swings his leg.....and sidefoots the ball in the direction he has been telegraphing for 2-3 seconds.

He does this time and time again, just watch any old matches and count how many times it's his 5th touch that is a pass - he's destroying any early runs made by attackers and puts presssure on the ball receiver because the opposition get 3 or 4 seconds to adjust and set a trap.

The only variation on this theme is...2 prods to get it out of his feet.....looks up and can't find anyone to pass too....turns and starts running with the ball straight up the middle of the pitch...overcommitting himself into midfield before he either sidefoots the ball or looses it and the opposition then are usually 2 vs 1 on his defensive "partner" who is then left exposed.

Given we have seen drills of the team playing fast paced 1 and 2 touch passing he clearly has no place in an ETH team. Clearing headers in a swamped Huddersfield defence is where he should have stayed.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Any front player knows exactly what Maguire will do when he gets the ball...2 touches to control it....2 little prods to get it out of his feet or change direction....big look to where he is going to pass the ball...slowly swings his leg.....and sidefoots the ball in the direction he has been telegraphing for 2-3 seconds.

He does this time and time again, just watch any old matches and count how many times it's his 5th touch that is a pass - he's destroying any early runs made by attackers and puts presssure on the ball receiver because the opposition get 3 or 4 seconds to adjust and set a trap.

The only variation on this theme is...2 prods to get it out of his feet.....looks up and can't find anyone to pass too....turns and starts running with the ball straight up the middle of the pitch...overcommitting himself into midfield before he either sidefoots the ball or looses it and the opposition then are usually 2 vs 1 on his defensive "partner" who is then left exposed.

Given we have seen drills of the team playing fast paced 1 and 2 touch passing he clearly has no place in an ETH team. Clearing headers in a swamped Huddersfield defence is where he should have stayed.
Yeah, this is the one that drives me mad. It's also the thing that a lot of people don't take into consideration when assessing his performances. If he does few-headed clearances and doesn't completely shit the bed in a game, people think he's had a good game. Ignoring the number of times he casually rolls his studs over the ball for what seems like ten minutes, before passing it sideways to AWB. It almost annoys me more than his defensive mistakes.

Castia

It's deserved yes. He looks like a calamity waiting to happen on the pitch and off the field his interviews are overly defensive and cringe, lines like 'I have nothing to prove' from a player who's had more relegations that trophies is hilarious

Stadjer

Every PL team has figured out Maguire can't play the ball forwards along the ground when in possession. United either get pegged back while Maguire is passing sideways across the defence or lose possession when he hoofs it forward. His turning circle is slower than a cruise ship in the Suez Canal, and he is a red card waiting to happen with his unnecessary challenges. He's nearly 30. He's clearly not good enough for United. Too arrogant to accept his own weaknesses as player. Giving Maguire the captaincy was imo a huge part in Ole Gunnar Solksjaer's downfall as United manager. There's no redemption for Maguire at United sadly. Too many chances and almost all squandered. Surely he’s scored his last own goal for United. Makeweight in a transfer maybe or just farm him off somewhere but who’d have him. Feel for the lad really as it’s written all over his face. You have to say Lindelof looked far more comfortable without Maguire.
This was funny :lol: I wouldnt bet on it though..... Dont underestimate Harry Maguire!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
No, it isn't deserved.

But whatever. The question is what we do with him.

For me, we sell him as soon as possible.

Get it done this summer.

Gordon S

Not so much his fault as the nutters who insisted to buy him and then keeps him in the team, who also makes him captain, who keeps picking him every now and then. Can`t they just have mercy on the poor lad and take him out of the spotlight. Let him play fifa with Phil Jones until the summer then sell him at highest bid

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
100%

I'm convinced if he'd been playing and it still went to penos he'd have put himself down as our 5th taker and blasted it over or wide
Odds are it wouldn't have gotten to penalties if Maguire had been playing.

The Dane

Absolutely spot on and thumbs up from here.

Fr. Todd Unctious

:lol:

Outstandingly apt metaphor and so true.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Suspended
That's great news for us. Bad news for our opponents.
It baffles me that we have sold great players like Beckham, RvN, Stam, etc, yet we hang onto this guy and make him captain, while he stinks up the place with consecutive poor performances and own goals.

Hulme91

Worst fanbase in football, the man didn't even play and still gets clipped and abused en masse by our "supporters''
10 years of mediocrity has clearly broken a few :lol: I wonder who will be next on the carousal, Pogba to Maguire... to Sancho maybe?

lsd

The Oracle
Worst fanbase in football, the man didn't even play and still gets clipped and abused en masse by our "supporters''
10 years of mediocrity has clearly broken a few :lol: I wonder who will be next on the carousal, Pogba to Maguire... to Sancho maybe?

Sounds like you are throwing Sancho under the bus for your own reasons there.

As for Maguire lacking match sharpness, Lindelof seems to manage when he comes in so long as he isn't playing alongside Maguire

Hulme91

Sounds like you are throwing Sancho under the bus for your own reasons there.

As for Maguire lacking match sharpness, Lindelof seems to manage when he comes in so long as he isn't playing alongside Maguire
How am I.. ahem.. throwing Sancho under a bus? He's been crap for two years and should be shifted out of the club just like Maguire
When the current enemy number one leaves this rabid fanbase will require a new target and Sancho ticks all the boxes :angel:

lsd

The Oracle
How am I.. ahem.. throwing Sancho under a bus? He's been crap for two years and should be shifted out of the club just like Maguire
When the current enemy number one leaves this rabid fanbase will require a new target and Sancho ticks all the boxes :angel:

So you were throwing him under the bus in a post where you were moaning about people criticising players?

Ok

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Well if Maguire is half as good as he supporters think Man CityLiverpool,,Arsenal,Real,Barca etc will be desperate to sign him. :) He will sign for them and prove us all wrong.

Hulme91

So you were throwing him under the bus in a post where you were moaning about people criticising players?

Ok
Where have I said criticism is wrong? Maguire has been poor and deserves to be criticised, Sancho has been poor and deserves to be criticised etc etc
The obsessive hatred and abuse first towards Pogba and now Maguire is an entirely different thing to mere criticism.... and Sancho will be taking a ride on that train soon enough if he doesn't improve or if Manchester United continue to fail. Like I said, he ticks all the boxes

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
There's definitely something rabid but it's not the fanbase, it's someone else.

Have a guess

McTerminator

You’re right. We should still be standing by Cleverly, Danny Drinkwater, Bebe, Danny Welbeck and Buttner. We’d be duking it with Wrexham in league 2 next season, but at least we’d be loyal to our heroes…

Andersonson

Maguire is lost here. If ETH continues to give him minutes it's has be for the bidders, even though I think his price will fall for every game he's playing.

And he is still captain.. If this was another manager he would be called weak for not changing captain mid season, even though it's understandable to keep the dressing room quiet

USREDEVIL

Shut up. We give players loads of time.

redcafe_reader

Where have I said criticism is wrong? Maguire has been poor and deserves to be criticised, Sancho has been poor and deserves to be criticised etc etc
The obsessive hatred and abuse first towards Pogba and now Maguire is an entirely different thing to mere criticism.... and Sancho will be taking a ride on that train soon enough if he doesn't improve or if Manchester United continue to fail. Like I said, he ticks all the boxes
What's more "obsessive hatred and abuse"?

Saying negative thing about Maguire in a thread about Maguire.

Or bringing up and criticizing Sancho in a thread about Maguire?

"Worst fanbase in football" indeed :)

leon24

But he plays decent when in an England jersey, doesn’t he?

hobbers

I wonder who will be next on the carousal, Pogba to Maguire... to Sancho maybe?
And the club will be better for it. Getting rid of Pogba did wonders for us. And Maguire going will give the squad an even bigger lift than that. If only getting rid of Sancho was so easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.