Is Pogba as good as gone?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
But he should be doing more!!!!!!! Already being the best isn't good enough!!!! More more more!!!!!
This is genuinely their answer. They then move the bar and say "He's not matching Kevin De Bruyne! we paid £89m and he's not the best in the league! sell him i'm fed up of him!" sheesh.

They deserve a lifetime of Pereira in midfield.

peridigm

Our owners aren't particularly concerned about making money, if they were the club wouldn't have added +100m in our wage bill over the last 24 months.
That's the price you pay when you want good players but play on Thursday nights.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Then that would make the other players really really really shite and they're not getting half the abuse Pogba does? Except Lingard, he's probably hated even more.
They didn't cost 80m and they don't get paid 300k a week.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's been angling for a move for nearly 2 seasons yet sections of our fans still adore him and cant see a future without him. Time to wake up and move on
In fairness, it's pretty hard to see a meaningful future without him considering how fecking shit we've been while he's been injured this season.

Judas

Open to offers
They didn't cost 80m and they don't get paid 300k a week.
Why does that stuff bother you personally? Surely what happens on the pitch should matter more? Pogba didn't choose his transfer fee, it's simply not relevant.

The facts are he's out performed most of the squad, and gets more abuse then 99% of our players. It's mad.

Adam-Utd

Is it really that hard to be a top scorer at Manchester United anymore? We are really, really shite.
Well i'd suggest that shows the real issue. The rest of the team weren't performing / not up to scratch.

If Pogba is creating the most and scoring the most, what are everybody else doing? We have WAY bigger problems than Paul Pogba cutting his hair or dabbing on instagram ffs.

Judas

Open to offers
When Pogba goes we better do some miracles in the transfer window, and the rest of the squad better really step up, or who knows what'll happen to this team, especially under its current management.

Adam-Utd

Why does that stuff bother you personally? Surely what happens on the pitch should matter more? Pogba didn't choose his transfer fee, it's simply not relevant.

The facts are he's out performed most of the squad, and gets more abuse then 99% of our players. It's mad.
Jealousy. It's the only answer. Monetary issues should be out the window the moment a player is signed. Just like why Fred gets criticised because we got him for 50m. Transfer fees are all completely bonkers these days, it's not what somebody is worth it's just what it takes to buy them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

It doesn't bother me personally. A player that is coined world class, joins us on a record fee and gets paid more than virtually anyone else should be one of our more consistent performers.

In reality he has what, 4 goals is it, when you took away penalties? And the best part of his goal/assist package is during the Ole purple patch of 2 months, against 10 mostly easy teams. I wonder what he was about for the other 7-8 months. (I don't really, it's rhetorical).

Adam-Utd

It doesn't bother me personally. A player that is coined world class, joins us on a record fee and gets paid more than virtually anyone else should be one of our more consistent performers.

In reality he has what, 4 goals is it, when you took away penalties? And the best part of his goal/assist package is during the Ole purple patch of 2 months, against 10 mostly easy teams. I wonder what he was about for the other 7-8 months. (I don't really, it's rhetorical).
His team mates missing ample chances? there's a video of his assists that haven't been converted and it's over 30. Add that to his tally and it's a hell of a lot more.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
His team mates missing ample chances? there's a video of his assists that haven't been converted and it's over 30. Add that to his tally and it's a hell of a lot more.
It's amazing, they built Pogba into some super human before he joined, just because he didn't live up to the expectations he is hated, doesn't matter even if he was out best player. Weird logic there, must be enjoying Pereira, Lingard week in week out as they have 0 expectations and they are matching that.

roonster09

Scout
Do you know any reason why has value has decreased from a reported £180m to a reported £128m as it's got me confused please?
There is no value, it's all just guess work. Only value that really matters is when he is sold and how much the club is paid.

Eric's Seagull

That is a staggering statistic :wenger:. It's crazy to think how much better we would be doing if the majority of them had been put away.

Adam-Utd

That is a staggering statistic :wenger:. It's crazy to think how much better we would be doing if the majority of them had been put away.
Apologies, it's actually 50. *some are for France but you get the point

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why are you clutching at this as an argument? Let's entertain this "what could have been argument" - where does he rank in the big chances created table in the Premier league?

He had what 9 assists last year? I'm not saying that's bad but fecking hell it's clutching at straws to defend him during his time with us. Most of these occurred over 2 months so the problem with him that I and many others have is still valid - he's very inconsistent.

And 9 assists whilst very good sn't exactly phenomenal by the world class standards he's pegged against.

Tibs

Only way to keep Pogba is finishing top 4, and 2 top signings in January, and winning the FA Cup and Europa.

It'll be a miracle if he is here in September 2020

roonster09

Scout
It's crazy to think how much better we'd be doing if Pogba had quality around him, we all knew it was needed. Instead we'll see him doing it for a much better team.
No we should sell him because he didn't live upto expectations.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's in all competitions, including for country and is over a span of multiple seasons since he joined us. I'm sure you can make this compilation for many players. James Maddison created the most chances in the Premier League last year, again I'm not sure what the point is. That Pogba is creative? That was never in question, no one is arguing against it.

DoomSlayer

Apologies, it's actually 50.
So you think all those 50 chances were easy and should have been converted? There are a lot of embarrassing misses from the likes of Mata and Lukaku, but there is no way it could have meant 50 more assists for Pogba.

And for the record, Lukaku, Mata and a few others have received very harsh criticism as well, so I don't see how Pogba is a scapegoat. It's just that some people are fanboys and only focus on the player they like, so they perceive that he is somehow unjustly persecuted.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Do you know any reason why has value has decreased from a reported £180m to a reported £128m as it's got me confused please?
I'm not sure about what you mean by value here we don't know how much clubs were and are willing to pay for his services, none of the figures that you see in papers have a meaning outside of an actual negotiation between clubs. Now, if we are strict with the notion of value, the main thing is his contract and the closer we are to its end the least value it has. But that last point isn't realistic because there is always a discrepancy between the value that a player has for two clubs due to intangibles such as the place that a player will have in a squad and his marketing value, so for example Pogba doesn't have the same value for City and Real Madrid because they don't have the same needs and wouldn't offer the same amount of money.

Classical Mechanic

Apologies, it's actually 50.
This is absolute bollocks frankly. You could compile such a compilation for every creative player in the world because forwards miss decent - good chances in pretty much every game they play. Look at the xA stats and the narrative is the opposite.

https://understat.com/player/1740

He has about 8 assists more than expected since he's been at United.

Adam-Utd

This is absolute bollocks frankly. You could compile such a compilation for every creative player in the world because forwards miss decent - good chances in pretty much every game they play. Look at the xA stats and the narrative is the opposite.

https://understat.com/player/1740

He has about 8 assists more than expected since he's been at United.
It really isn't pal. A LOT of those should have been converted.

You're all trying to say he's a bad footballer that makes the team worse, i'm just purely showing he IS doing his job of creating. You can't dispute that.

He is a midfielder who's job is to create goals. If our strikers can't hit a barn door that's not his fault. NEXT.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That video tells me that one of the best players that can read what Pogba wants to do and where to pass to is Mata. Shame he couldn't finish the chances but just shows you that intelligent players can read where is wanting to play the ball, and intelligent runs offer Pogba more to hit. I often think, when watching us with Pogba in the team, too many players don't offer anything like the right kind of movement that would help Pogba shift the ball a bit quicker or create a chance.

Giggsyking

Paul Pogba will NEVER play for Manchester United again, ‘very strong source’ has told Alan Brazil

Judas

Open to offers
How many times are the words of Alan Brazil going to be recycled I wonder.

I think it says more about the mess of this club than it does Pogba if we ship him out midseason when we are a truly diabolical mess on and off the field.

Eric's Seagull

Thanks for sharing :) . It's mad the amount the amount he created that didn't go in. I'm not saying that all of the should have gone in as some of them were quite difficult but I feel Zlatan should have scored a few them. Mata, Rashford and Lingard could also have had a couple each.

Eric's Seagull

I'm not sure about what you mean by value here we don't know how much clubs were and are willing to pay for his services, none of the figures that you see in papers have a meaning outside of an actual negotiation between clubs. Now, if we are strict with the notion of value, the main thing is his contract and the closer we are to its end the least value it has. But that last point isn't realistic because there is always a discrepancy between the value that a player has for two clubs due to intangibles such as the place that a player will have in a squad and his marketing value, so for example Pogba doesn't have the same value for City and Real Madrid because they don't have the same needs and wouldn't offer the same amount of money.
Thanks for explaining thoroughly :)

Classical Mechanic

It really isn't pal. A LOT of those should have been converted.

You're all trying to say he's a bad footballer that makes the team worse, i'm just purely showing he IS doing his job of creating. You can't dispute that.

He is a midfielder who's job is to create goals. If our strikers can't hit a barn door that's not his fault. NEXT.
What I am trying to say that the idea that he's been 'robbed' of all those assists just isn't true. What xA does is add some more objective analysis to that idea and gives the opposite conclusion to the claims implied on that video and in this thread. I think the reasons for this flawed perception are as follows:

1. A profound overestimation of how many chances are actually converted in football.
2 An overestimation of how BIG a lot of those chances actually are when measured against actual conversion rates from similar chances.

For a simple example, consider that a penalty only has an xG of 0.75 because 1 in every 4 are missed in the PL, so a free shot in the middle of the goal from 12 yards where the keeper can't save it if the ball is struck well enough only results in a goal 3 out of every 4 times.

Now consider how much more difficult it is to: convert chances when you are running onto the ball, you have to strike a moving ball, you sometimes have to take 1 or multiple touches to set the shot whilst running, you have defensive pressure from 1 or more defenders and when the angle is often a lot tighter so you have to be more precise with your shot. In many cases a multiple of these complicating factors are apparent in a chance.

By the same database KDB has about 2 more than expected since he's been at City and Eriksen about 4 since he's been at Spurs so I don't see that Pogba has been the victim of any great swindle. You could make a similar video for those players too.

Sp00ks11

Pogba going will just be yet another sign that this club is in free fall.

Manchester United the so called biggest club in the world are currently being managed by somebody who has taken Cardiff down and managed Molde, are fielding Fred and Pereira in CM, relying on a Swansea youth player for creativity and an inconsistent Rashford and Martial for goals.

This current United team under Ole would struggle in the championship. Crazy how far and fast we have fallen.

Pogba will rightly so be challenging for the games biggest honours for an ambitious club this time next year.

Pogba going will just be yet another sign that this club is in free fall.
Why would Pogba stay though? it's safe to say this will be his 2nd wasted season here and he's 26 now, apparently even our fans who are right behind Ole reckon it'll take a couple of years to get back to anywhere near the top.

So why on Earth would one of the best players in the World waste 4 of his peak years playing here? No shit he wants out asap.

Jibbs

Pogba fan boys can plaster over his follies all they want, but what is apparent is he has always disrespected the club and clearly shown he has no desire to stay at the club. I'd say ship him out in Jan and use the deal to bring in Haaland. I won't mind even McGinn as a replacement as long as the player respects the badge and gives his all on the pitch. Pogba and his fan boys can take their circus to Madrid or Juve or wherever they want.

Pogba fan boys can plaster over his follies all they want, but what is apparent is he has always disrespected the club and clearly shown he has no desire to stay at the club.
He was promised a bight new future with Manchester United, Mourinho, Zlatan at el, he now plays with the likes of McTom, Andreas & Lingard instead of Pirlo and Vidal. Real want to team him up with the likes of Kroos, Casemiro, Modric .... no shit he has no desire to stay and is fuming with the direction the club has taken since they signed him @Jibbs

Sp00ks11

Pogba fan boys can plaster over his follies all they want, but what is apparent is he has always disrespected the club and clearly shown he has no desire to stay at the club. I'd say ship him out in Jan and use the deal to bring in Haaland. I won't mind even McGinn as a replacement as long as the player respects the badge and gives his all on the pitch. Pogba and his fan boys can take their circus to Madrid or Juve or wherever they want.
Is McGinn better than what City, Liverpool, Real, Barca etc have in their CM?

It is amazing how much ambition our club and now fan base lack. Fred is being rated as playing well against Sheffield United by large portions of this forum, when just 8 years ago people would have rightly said that was a 2/10 performance from him, and now fans want players like McGinn to replace Pogba.

:lol:

5 years time.. ‘yeah I hope we can get into the playoffs’

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
We really do in some sections of support have a pathetic fan base Pogba is the only reason Solskjaer attained the permanent appointment. His form last season influenced our winning run, he was instrumental in everything: the balance of play, goals, assists. It's ridiculous fans ridiculed him at OT last season he was our best player and when on song still is.

But the issue is you can only mention United and the success of the club with the metric of time, if your a world class player in the peak of your career is it worth the risk of placing your faith in the process and then in three years time we are still falling short. There's too many aspects going against why Pogba should stay unfortunately and it stems from the glazers right down to the management of this team.
Can't you see that's a large part of the problem people have with Pogba? For 2 months he was the player we all thought we signed. He proved he could be the main man in scoring and in assists then it was like something clicked in his brain and he thought, right I've shown what I can do but I can't be bothered doing it any more and his form fell off a cliff which incidentally coincided with the teams form falling off a cliff.

Maybe Pogba is just mentally weak but when people see those sort of performances for 2 months they then ask, why can't he do it for 4 or 6 or all season? Some people blame the team around him, some blame the managers and some blame Pogba for not giving all he can which doesn't make the fan base pathetic as you put it in thinking this. It just boils down to frustration.

Pogba playing well when he feels like it doesn't rub well with a lot of supporters. We all know he can play better in a lot of his games which is why there's so much frustration from a lot of the fans. It's true he gets more stick than players such as Peirera or Lingard but as we all know they don't have it in them to change games like we've seen Pogba do especially in our purple patch.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
So how has Pogba been able to play a more disciplined style for France and play in a 2 with Kante?

I don't believe his footballing brain is the main problem, it's his mentality towards football.
It's easier to do so for a summer world cup. Something that doesn't last months. The Pogba that played the World Cup the way he did, it's not the typical Pogba who has been performing for the national team since his first cap.