Is this one of the worst quality World Cups ever? | Probably not

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
You'll pray for WCs like this when we add an extra 16 countries in four year's time. Maybe 6 of those will add something but the other 10 will just drag everything down.
And teenagers will say it's all nostalgic nonsense

RoyH1

To the people who say they dont like the World Cup because the standard isnt good enough, do you ever watch grass roots football?
They clearly don't. I can just imagine them reacting to a grassroots or mid division game.

It's the Champions League and Man Utd or a top PL game for them.

National team football is never as good as top level club football. Teams simply don't have enough time and training together to play gourmet football

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I love world cups, but I can't remember one group game that Ireland weren't playing in. This stages are just to be navigated by big teams but for teams like Wales and Ireland they are where your world cup is, 3 guaranteed games.

Too early to judge it surely?

It's hilarious that broadly speaking people who don't like the idea of a word cup in Qatar think the football is shite but people who think the protests should stfu think the games and atmosphere is great. Makes most discussions tedious and pointless.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Just on strikers, had a quick look at the 1998 tournament and it had;

Suker
Batistuta
Vieri
Bergkamp
Kulivert
Shearer
Owen
Ronaldo
Salas
Zamorano
Baggio
Henry
Bebeto
Klinsman
Bierhoff
Hernandez
Moreintes
Raul
Mijatovic
Benni McCarthy
Claudio Lopez
Trezeguet
Edmundo
Solskjaer
Flo
Etoo
Del Piero
Inzaghi
Chiesa
Van Hoojdonk
Jimmy Floyd
Asprilla
Crespo
Balbo

I mean, god damn.
What happened?

Cut-in and shoot inverted wingers happened

Spain winning the Euros with Fabregas upfront happened

So here we are in the age of The Cyborg, the aging sacked Sioux and Darwin's missing link.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Just on strikers, had a quick look at the 1998 tournament and it had;

Suker
Batistuta
Vieri
Bergkamp
Kulivert
Shearer
Owen
Ronaldo
Salas
Zamorano
Baggio
Henry
Bebeto
Klinsman
Bierhoff
Hernandez
Moreintes
Raul
Mijatovic
Benni McCarthy
Claudio Lopez
Trezeguet
Edmundo
Solskjaer
Flo
Etoo
Del Piero
Inzaghi
Chiesa
Van Hoojdonk
Jimmy Floyd
Asprilla
Crespo
Balbo

I mean, god damn.
Been thinking about this. The 442 era developed strikers in a way the modern game doesn't.

Almost no one plays two strikers now, it's all 4 3 3 or 4321. Lots of fast pressing players but few real goal scorers.

Tactically it's better, not for entertainment though...

Idxomer

I love world cups, but I can't remember one group game that Ireland weren't playing in. This stages are just to be navigated by big teams but for teams like Wales and Ireland they are where your world cup is, 3 guaranteed games.

Too early to judge it surely?

It's hilarious that broadly speaking people who don't like the idea of a word cup in Qatar think the football is shite but people who think the protests should stfu think the games and atmosphere is great. Makes most discussions tedious and pointless.
The hilarious thing is most people aren't in either of those two camps.

Pronewbie

Peep
Quality aside, I think it's got more to do with the tactical setup where teams, especially the underdogs, are happy just to get a point from their 2nd game to stay alive on the final day. I'm looking forward to more amazing stories in the final group-stage games.

SER19

Seems a strange thread to me. I actually think it's been a very good tournament so far and love the added time change. Only halfway through second round of games and already plenty of drama and food games

AshRK

Seems a strange thread to me. I actually think it's been a very good tournament so far and love the added time change. Only halfway through second round of games and already plenty of drama and food games
People create these type of threads after every WC but truth is WC is the biggest pinnacle. I am definitely starting to enjoy this WC

The deliveries from wide areas in this Korea Ghana game was sensational. Wow. So much quality. Probably the highest quality game of this World Cup thus far.

norm87cro

Maybe. But maybe the so called tier 3 and 4 teams are better than ever and are making it hard for the big boys? Except Qatar offcourse. Japan 2 Germany 1, S Arabia 2 Argentina 1, Morocco and the USA having a 50/50 draw against Croatia and England. In all honesty when Spain trashes poor Costa Rica 7 0 its more a reflection of the poor quality of the losing side than the so called quality of Spain. Cameroon and Serbia had a great game as well. In conclusion, no I dont think the quality of the WC has declined.
Morocco beating Belgium alomst sliped my mind.

avgp_1

Couple of great games today. It's been fine tbh outside of the opening day Qatar game

diarm

Yesterday and today have been great. Tournament is starting to come alive!

SER19

People create these type of threads after every WC but truth is WC is the biggest pinnacle. I am definitely starting to enjoy this WC
Ya i feel as if it's the same every time while the group stages take shape.

AshRK

I know 2 more games are to be played before the 2nd round of games are over but the fact that only 2 teams so far are out shows how tight the group stages have been.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I know 2 more games are to be played before the 2nd round of games are over but the fact that only 2 teams so far are out shows how tight the group stages have been.
Good point. Qatar being one of them is a huge plus as well!

I looked at the groups. Regardless of how the next 2 games end, no more teams will be out before the final round! :cool:

mu4c_20le

Still feels like a nations league, just slightly higher stakes in the end

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What happened?

Cut-in and shoot inverted wingers happened

Spain winning the Euros with Fabregas upfront happened

So here we are in the age of The Cyborg, the aging sacked Sioux and Darwin's missing link.
Interestingly Darwin, Australia is closer to 4 other capitals than its own.

Hey Samid

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
It's just that feeling of big teams not taking it seriously or going all out.
I don't get that feeling at all.

The big football nations always take turns actually being good. Among the 12 I consider big football nations(Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, England, France, Germany, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Croatia), only about half of them tend to play well. Usually fewer, now that I think about it.

redshaw

We've seen many good games since Sunday with still the third group games to go and then the knockouts. Could end up being one of the better ones now teams have settled in.

Mshafeek

This thread seems to be so knee jerk and pointless - even before today's brilliant games. Was it made out of spite due to it going against the wishes of the boycott gang? I mean, when was any international tournament filled with club quality games? World cups mostly are tight and cagey affairs. What makes the WCs worthy is the spirit and pride and how hard it actually is to win due to this. On that front , this has to be one of the best WCs ever. When was there these much upsets and unexpected results by this stage? Not in recent times for sure. And besides, the atmosphere and attendances have been mostly great. The attendance for the last Argentina game was the highest since the 94 final.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
This thread seems to be so knee jerk and pointless - even before today's brilliant games. Was it made out of spite due to it going against the wishes of the boycott gang? I mean, when was any international tournament filled with club quality games? World cups mostly are tight and cagey affairs. What makes the WCs worthy is the spirit and pride and how hard it actually is to win due to this. On that front , this has to be one of the best WCs ever. When was there these much upsets and unexpected results by this stage? Not in recent times for sure. And besides, the atmosphere and attendances have been mostly great. The attendance for the last Argentina game was the highest since the 94 final.
Again if you read the thread I said many times I wanted it to be good and I am very happy it has gotten better. Knee jerk would’ve been after one or two games and not nearly two entire rounds of fixtures. It was a question posed to generate a discussion on it. The answers were all there if you looked.

Bobski

Makes the mouth salivate!
If you really want the mind blown look at the strikers who were not at that tournament. Feck it, will do it myself

Cole
Yorke
Fowler
Shevchenko
Rebrov
Elber
Marcio Amoroso
Sonny Anderson
Romario was still killing it in Brazil
Totti
Zola
Signori
Montella
Henrik Larsson
George Weah
Recoba
Anelka
Nuno Gomes
Pauleta

Probably dozens more, and as many have said shows the changing styles.

Great day today by all accounts, missed the first 2 games and only saw the last 15 of Brazil, but yesterday was an improvement so hopefully this is the start of the real tournament.