g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Is today going to be the overriding memory of this season?

Chief123

Even if we do the cup treble, looking back is this still going to be the season that we had 7 put past us by Liverpool?
No it won’t. It’ll be remembered for being the season where the Glazers finally fecked off and the season we were blessed to have ETH as our manager.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It's 3 points lost. Sure for rival fans its going to be a good material to talk shit about us in the future but for us? it matters little actually. There were more spectacular things in football that have now been forgotten. Sir Alex's 6-1 City defeat at OT, Ole's 5-0 defeat at OT, Gerrard slipping, Suarez being a racist prick that were supported by the club and their "king" and many more. If you like to be depressed and a masochist then sure, keep thinking about this one game for the rest of your life where we lost 3 points while ignoring all contexts and positives we have achieved this season after a disastrous last season where the club looked like it had no future.

But if you want to be realistic, we have a chance to win 2 more trophies while finishing top 4, with new owners at the horizon that hopefully will invest much more for the club than the Glazers (facilities, players, etc). I want to see where we are in 2-3 years regardless of short term results and nothing can take that away from me. Did it hurt? yes but I won't look at it over and over, pulling my hair out and make the hurt twice as hurtful. The next time we beat them by a considerable margin, it will quickly be forgotten when there's a new material to talk shit about. That's football. Who cares about what the fans in Twitter have to say? it's just a bit of fun that's all. Sometimes its your turn, sometimes it's theirs.

Simply put: I'd rather lose to Liverpool than losing the cup final (not saying I'm happy we lost 7-0, it's unacceptable and Ten Hag needs to get those hairdryers out) but in bigger context, the trophies will stay in our trophy room but short term results will only appear on papers for 1-2 weeks.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't think anger and shock at our biggest defeat in almost a century to our local rivals is suggestive of adolescent behaviour. Carabao Cup win feels like an age ago. I can't remember the years we've won the League Cup, who we played, the scoreline etc... but 6-1 at home to City is etched into my brain, just like today will be.

In fact, brushing today off as not that big a deal to me comes across as more childish. Imagine EtH came out and downplayed this as "one of those days" or "it's just one game - a minor setback" etc. He'd be slaughtered.
Clearly you didn’t get the point. It’s good to be angry and for the club / manager / players to deem this as unacceptable. But this is not the defining point of our season unless some fans desire it to be, for themselves. I don’t hold on to single results so feverishly so as to blur everything else into insignificance. To me that is immature.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I don't think anger and shock at our biggest defeat in almost a century to our local rivals is suggestive of adolescent behaviour. Carabao Cup win feels like an age ago. I can't remember the years we've won the League Cup, who we played, the scoreline etc... but 6-1 at home to City is etched into my brain, just like today will be.

In fact, brushing today off as not that big a deal to me comes across as more childish. Imagine EtH came out and downplayed this as "one of those days" or "it's just one game - a minor setback" etc. He'd be slaughtered.
And that's the problem. You pick and choose the things you want to remember and you chose the bad one. The reality is it's not even 2 weeks old. Did you let the 6-1 defeat ruin our title win during Sir Alex's final season too then?

U.N.C.L.E

Players will focus on the loss

Winners will learn from it and move on.

Problem is that victimhood is the new black for a lot of people.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Lucky for me, I switched off at 3-0. So as far as I am concerned, we only lost 3-0.

At any rate, we have enough senior leadership and winners in the team, that we will pick our collective socks up and soldier on for the rest of the season.

If anything, this embarrassing loss will remind the lads that they are not invincible --- despite their 21 games (since the World Cup finished) record of; winning 16, drawing 3 and now losing 2.

UnitedRepublic

It will be remembered forever Inter and Milan will never let the other score 7 past them. Barcelona - Real Madrid 6-2 is still remembered to this day. Germany Vs Brazil 7-1 is also remembered 9 years after. We got humiliated the players surely will remember it forever. To restore our dignity next season I want us to go at them with the kitchen sink from start to finish.

Sir Erik ten Hag

It will be remembered forever Inter and Milan will never let the other score 7 past them. Barcelona - Real Madrid 6-2 is still remembered to this day. Germany Vs Brazil 7-1 is also remembered 9 years after. We got humiliated the players surely will remember it forever. To restore our dignity next season I want us to go at them with the kitchen sink from start to finish.
Every win against Liverpool we got in recent years was very close match, where we usually won by 1 goal difference. We simply don't have the mentality, stature and heritage to absolutely hammer Liverpool like they did with us.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Every win against Liverpool we got in recent years was very close match, where we usually won by 1 goal difference. We simply don't have the mentality, stature and heritage to absolutely hammer Liverpool like they did with us.
It's your fault baldy you should have given the players a bollocking at HT :mad:

eire-red

Clearly you didn’t get the point. It’s good to be angry and for the club / manager / players to deem this as unacceptable. But this is not the defining point of our season unless some fans desire it to be, for themselves. I don’t hold on to single results so feverishly so as to blur everything else into insignificance. To me that is immature.
Well we'll only be able to make that distinction one way or another at the end of the season, don't you think? It's not out of the realms of possibility to wonder if a result like this derails our season. If we suffer a slump in form on the back of this, can I point to something else because I desire this not to be a defining point in the season?

I'd watch us lose 3 or 4 nil every season at Anfield if it meant we won the title. But being obliterated for our heaviest ever defeat to Liverpool, and worst loss for 100 years, is something else entirely. None of us know if this will 'define' our season or not. But I do know that I saw a lot of things today that I thought were gone from this team. Things that should never be allowed as a Manchester United player against Liverpool.

That is worrying, even in the 'grand scheme of things'.

amolbhatia50k

Well we'll only be able to make that distinction one way or another at the end of the season, don't you think? It's not out of the realms of possibility to wonder if a result like this derails our season. If we suffer a slump in form on the back of this, can I point to something else because I desire this not to be a defining point in the season?

I'd watch us lose 3 or 4 nil every season at Anfield if it meant we won the title. But being obliterated for our heaviest ever defeat to Liverpool, and worst loss for 100 years, is something else entirely. None of us know if this will 'define' our season or not. But I do know that I saw a lot of things today that I thought were gone from this team. Things that should never be allowed as a Manchester United player against Liverpool.

That is worrying, even in the 'grand scheme of things'.
It’s also not inconceivable for us to be relegated next season but I’m confident that we won’t. Just as I’m confident that this season is about far far more then just one loss. If you lot want to will it to becoming the be and end all of the season for you that’s your choice.

eire-red

And that's the problem. You pick and choose the things you want to remember and you chose the bad one. The reality is it's not even 2 weeks old. Did you let the 6-1 defeat ruin our title win during Sir Alex's final season too then?
Not in the slightest. But it didn't make it feel better watching City hammer us and knowing we won it the year before. I remember it more vividly than either the 09 or 11 loss vs Barcelona.

I'll take disappointment over utter humiliation any day of the week, thank you very much.

Sweet Square

There’s a certain type of United fan who’s support is defined more by what other football fans think about the club rather than what the club is actually doing on the pitch.

We’ve just won our first round trophy in 5 year, so no a very bad game against Pool won’t be the takeaway from this season.

Last edited:

eire-red

It’s also not inconceivable for us to be relegated next season but I’m confident that we won’t. Just as I’m confident that this season is about far far more then just one loss. If you lot want to will it to becoming the be and end all of the season for you that’s your choice.
Nobody is out here willing anything. Nobody wants it to be the be all and end all of the season. I've already stated before that we can't pass judgement on today until we see the reaction and where we lie come the end of the season.

At the same time, I think people are more than entitled to say that this is more than just a bump in the road in the name of progress.

amolbhatia50k

Nobody is out here willing anything. Nobody wants it to be the be all and end all of the season. I've already stated before that we can't pass judgement on today until we see the reaction and where we lie come the end of the season.

At the same time, I think people are more than entitled to say that this is more than just a bump in the road in the name of progress.
Doesn’t look that way based on the season thus far. Let’s see. I think the larger point is that many here will see this as more important than a trophy plus top 4 which says more about them than anything else imo. Priorities, I guess.

eire-red

Doesn’t look that way based on the season thus far. Let’s see. I think the larger point is that many here will see this as more important than a trophy plus top 4 which says more about them than anything else imo. Priorities, I guess.
Biggest issue for me was the similar issues of United teams of old rearing their ugly head once more.

Kopral Jono

Our reaction now will determine how last night is going to be remembered. A strong end to the season would probably mean it will be shrugged off as a freak result.

RoyKeaneReborn

Nah, I don't think losing 0-7 to Liverpool is going to be the overriding memory of the season. Yes, Brazil was humiliated 7-1 back in 2014 WC, but for the recent one, they are still viewed favourably for the title and in generally producing more wins than freak losses. I don't recall pundits going on and on about this 7-1 result prior to and when the WC started.

This feels kinda like when u get dumped by your girlfriend the night before. U think to yourself it's the end of the world and how u can't move on in the following days/weeks. But lo and behold, once the next person (or match in this case) comes along, u move on quickly.

erikcred

Even if we do the cup treble, looking back is this still going to be the season that we had 7 put past us by Liverpool?
You think if we win the cup treble, this result will be moved to last season or something?

PaulRich

I think we need to look at the whole situation and perhaps manage our expectations.

From Xmas 2021 through to Season end 2022 we were a fecking horror show, an absolute laughing stock on and off the pitch. We started this season in similar fashion.

Since mid September things started to click. We've climbed the league table, we've already bagged a cup and are still in with a decent shot of the other two.

As we stand today we have silverware and Champions League football.

And despite yesterday Liverpool are still adrift of us and have zero silverware this term.

If the footballing Gods had offered us all of that that at the end of last season we'd have snatched their hands off.

If we can maintain League position and even bag another cup then this season has been a roaring success.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Unfortunately yes.

Which is bloody frustrating because next week we will go back to fighting for trophies on 4 fronts and they will go back to getting turned over by Wolves.
What 4 fronts?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Unfortunately that loss wont be forgotten easily.
Its been a really good season for the most part, a real sense of we are finally headed in the right direction but a record loss to our bitterest enemies isnt easily pushed aside.
Winning the Europa League or the FA cup will go a long way to helping dull the impact.
I think turning around our abysmal form at Anfield over the next few years needs to be a target, we currently sit at 32-6 down at anfield over the last 10 years.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
No. I already moved on. Its just one league game (despite its biggest game of the season). But it will be great banter for Pool fans for next decade. They will rub it in our face regulary.

RopersReturn

Throughout that mauling, I kept reminding myself that at least we are still in the Europa and FA cup with a decent prospect of winning both.
The immediate overriding concern is whether the players still have the mental capacity to keep going after such a shock, but we’re certainly more than capable of beating most teams at home.

Son

It’s just one game at the end of the day. A game when burnout hit the squad hard.

Our squad isn’t built to compete for every trophy yet and we just couldn’t keep up with Pool’s intensity second half when we faded.

That turned into frustration and then a lack of professionalism sadly. These things can happen.

UnitedWA

It depends on the rest of the season. BUT!
I am baffled by people who are saying the football games like this happen? Yea in Uniteds history they happened three times, and people who watched those games are 6 feet under for a long time and one of those games was in 2nd division! So it will stay forever within us who watched the game...

OrcaFat

Bugger off you fcuking child! Our players, have been flat out since Christmas. In that time they have won a cup, beaten Barcalona the top team in Spain and established themselves in the top 4.
It’s been more or less the same 14/15 players all along. They had a very bad day today but they have some credit in the bank. So has the manager.
Worst ever defeat. They fell apart. You can’t blame that on being a bit knackered. And don’t be rude.

Real Name

Where's your poll thread from before?

No it wont be that season. As you yourself said we're still in 2 cups, it will be a bad, really bad historic result and they'll rub it in as much as they can but if we get top 4 and win a cup or 2 and better yet they dont get top 4 this result definitely wont define our season.

But I get what are you trying to do and prove.

Godfather

Journos are having a field day. They'll make sure no one will forget quickly. Incredible we have let it come to that.

Last edited:

Maticmaker

UNLESS we do win more silverware this season most definitely this result will be remembered and not just by the ABU's.

The problem is these results always remain in the records and haunt not only the current generation of supporters but for years to come, and not just for the scoreline, but because it was the manner of the defeat, a complete collapse of professionalism, pride, etc. never seen so many United players pleased to be 'subbed off'

Even the 1-6 defeat to City at OT back in the day, was because we continued to storm forward trying to get back from 1-3, then from 1-4, then from 1-5, etc. we were 'attack,attack, attack' some would say in comparison to yesterday this was a 'glorious' defeat, but yesterdays result was a 'turn and run' defeat and can never be looked at with any sense of pride in trying to win. Ask Phil Jones only him a David DeGea still remain.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Unfortunately I think so, yes. Something like the 2-5 defeat Liverpool experienced against Real can happen. Harsh and somehow freakish, but football can go this way.

However, the second half yesterday was something else. Unreal and haunting stuff. Winning the EL and getting top 4 is not enough to ban this from the memory.
The only way I could forget about it a bit quicker is if we were to win the title by some black sorcery.

Fabio Rochemback

If we finish third convincingly then, not so much. If we do that and win another trophy then barely at all.