Is Zlatan holding us back at the moment?

davidmichael

the next question will be for the manager then. he has so many players suited for 433, bought new players best suited for 433, yet he insisted on playing 4231, why?
That's a good question. The reason I'm not panicking is that Mourinho likes to win, so he will eventually realize that his 4231 is only good in his head with these players.
The first question was why was Rooney still in the starting 11 when so woefully out of form and being much more hinderence than help when playing which was answered by dropping Rooney, for that reason and being the first man since Sir Alex to drop Rooney gives me belief he'll soon realise that most players excel in a 4-3-3 too so we'll move to that formation.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Zlatan is the cause of our offensive flaws? No not really, he has been a big part of them recently, but he is not the cause.
I think he is. Keep everything the same and swap in Martial for Zlatan and I think the attack functions better.

podurban2

I think he is. Keep everything the same and swap in Martial for Zlatan and I think the attack functions better.
That's really weird reasoning considering Martial has been in poor form, and has played better on the left than in the center when he was played there under LvG.

Danillaco

Yes. Martial needs to come in for him. Would like to see an interchanging front 3 of Mkhitaryan, Martial and Rashford. Behind them Pogba, Herrera and Mata/Lingard.
Herrera
Pogba-Mata
3M

:drool::drool:

Before Martial scored a goal, people were saying Lingard deserved to play ahead of him. Now all of a sudden, Martial should be in for Zlatan
"People".. wow, so because a few people are stupid then we all should be?

Martial is one of our best and most important players, we miss him when he doesn't play and we suffer when he's out of form.

Scholesy

"People".. wow, so because a few people are stupid then we all should be?

Martial is one of our best and most important players, we miss him when he doesn't play and we suffer when he's out of form.
Martial will come in, miss a chance, and then people will want Zlatan back in the team.

I think Zlatan has been superb so far, very impressed by him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No he had a poor game vs Liverpool but in general has started the season well.

djdhrubs

Martial will come in, miss a chance, and then people will want Zlatan back in the team.

I wonder what adjective you'd be using to describe him if he hadn't missed a bunch of chances in recent games?

:)

You keep mentioning "people" as though that means a majority?

Some "people" want Martial up front, some want Rashford, some want Zlatan, I don't really get your point.

Me personally... I want Zlatan up top and Martial and Miki on the wings as I also agree that Zlatan has had a cracking start to his United career.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Older players can't have a few poor games without everybody saying it's over, but it just doesn't look like his body could go beyond this season. He used to be a player with pace, and that's of course gone, but his general movement has become that of an old man the last year to 18 months. He's still a very good striker but he's got to be used on what he still can do and that's not working yet.

Also I think it's quite ridiculous to say he should have scored yesterday. If he had managed to score from there it would have been a brilliant goal. Of course it's nice to pretend that United had any meaningful attacks and could have won, but it's just nonsens, Mourinho wanted a goalless draw and got it.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
At Ibrahimovic's age you can't expect him to be very successful as a lone striker with no one looking to run in front of him or alongside him. He was never really a runner and rarely beat multiple players to score and less so at 35. He has world class technique, finishing and link up play. He's ideal in a possession team where the opposition is forced deeper and he can constantly roams around the box he'll score bucketloads with the right service. That's what happened at PSG in the last few years when he was prolific. It's simple really, provide him service in and around the box and he'll score but expect him to be a pace merchant on the counter attack will leave you disapointed.

what a mess

I felt for Zlatan last night , completely isolated up front , to bring the best out in him he needs pacey players around him .I looked at the line up last night and thought great 3 up front ,Zlatan with the pace of Rashford on one side and Young with his crossing ability on the other ... Perfect except that both Rashford and Young played as wing backs rather than forwards resulting in no crosses and no one running off him . Add to that the fact that Poga at number 10 ( with the exception of one cross ) made virtually no forward runs or telling passes so no one for Zlatan to work with .

To get the best out of him we need the wide payers to attack and get crosses in , we need the number 10 ( whoever that might be ) to get close to him when we are attacking we need this guy to get the right service as I can't see anyone else capable of providing enough goals in the coming months

Will Singh

I think he was isolated upfront but he played his part, there was obviously a game plan and it just didn't make him look like Messi like some are expecting from him....

DarkXaero

The caf obsession with speed, posters keep mentioning it even when it's completely irrelevant.
I agree with this. Case in point, Rashford who lost the ball pretty much every time yesterday but doesn't get called out half as much. Partially because he's "pacy" and direct.

AndyJ1985

I agree with this. Case in point, Rashford who lost the ball pretty much every time yesterday but doesn't get called out half as much. Partially because he's "pacy" and direct.
Or because he's young and still learning.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
I felt for Zlatan last night , completely isolated up front , to bring the best out in him he needs pacey players around him .I looked at the line up last night and thought great 3 up front ,Zlatan with the pace of Rashford on one side and Young with his crossing ability on the other ... Perfect except that both Rashford and Young played as wing backs rather than forwards resulting in no crosses and no one running off him . Add to that the fact that Poga at number 10 ( with the exception of one cross ) made virtually no forward runs or telling passes so no one for Zlatan to work with .

To get the best out of him we need the wide payers to attack and get crosses in , we need the number 10 ( whoever that might be ) to get close to him when we are attacking we need this guy to get the right service as I can't see anyone else capable of providing enough goals in the coming months
Spot on. We created one chance for him all game, that's it. If you actually paid attention you could see he worked his arse of all game, constantly putting pressure on their CB's, forcing them to hit it long, thereby disrupting their flow. Now i know CF's usually don't get rated on their defensive contributions, but seeing a 35 year old "superstar" striker put in a shift like that is something i can appreciate

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Unlike previous years (13/14 with Falcao, Rooney and RVP playing all at once, last season to an extent) we have the options to change it up. Martial through the middle, Rashford through the middle, hell even both at once. Mkhitaryan, Lingard, Young, there's a lot of pace and options there. Just hope we utilise them and don't feel that just because we have him, we need to stick rigidly with this style of play.

addo

He is untouchable for Mou just as he should be, but obviously he cant win every game on his own. He already has and he will bail the team out a number of times during this season.
Team is playing a bit shit considering the players available, isnt it?

djdhrubs

Spot on. We created one chance for him all game, that's it. If you actually paid attention you could see he worked his arse of all game, constantly putting pressure on their CB's, forcing them to hit it long, thereby disrupting their flow. Now i know CF's usually don't get rated on their defensive contributions, but seeing a 35 year old "superstar" striker put in a shift like that is something i can appreciate
That's cool, praising his defensive contribution but he did little to hold the ball up and link the play. And he fluffed that chance badly.

fellaini's barber

Not just missing goals, his hold up play has been getting a little sloppy too,plus his unnecessary fouls and offsides in the Liverpool game were doing my head in.I won't say he's holding us back as it might just be a run of bad form, but one thing I do know is we ain't gonna go very far with him and Rooney as our first and second choice strikers.Its last season all over again with shortage of striking options.

Moby

Dick
Only on RedCafe can you hear such statements about someone who's played a handful of games for the club and scored in nearly half of them.

Why are people so anxious to change things? FIFA/FM generation?

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
He is not holding is back. He had a poor game against Liverpool but he was isolated and there wasn't anyone helping him. Can't excuse his poor touches though.

Ibra always thrived when played with runners from midfield and outwide. It takes times to play as a team but he is far from our problem.

Robbo 7

I would like to see him in the no.10 role with Rashford ahead of him. He won plenty of headers against Liverpool but there was no one supporting him. With Rashford on the last defender that would give Zlatanmore space to make better use of the ball. Also having Rashford up top would give the opposition plenty to think about with a mixture of his pace and Zlatan's ability to pull the strings. If you also put Martial on the left and Lindgard/Miki on the right the pace of our attacks would be frightening.

Jaxdan

Only on RedCafe can you hear such statements about someone who's played a handful of games for the club and scored in nearly half of them.

Why are people so anxious to change things? FIFA/FM generation?

That is true he has scored in nearly half of them. The concerning thing is they were all in the first 4 or 5 games, and none recently. He has also missed on at least a small handful of very good chances, I wouldn't expect him to miss. At least not all of them. I agree with you that we live in a knee-jerk social media driven zero patience society these days, but Zlatan shouldn't be immune to some criticism when he deserves it. I'm a huge fan of his, he is my jersey of choice this season, and want to see him on the pitch every second of play for us. That said, he is 35 and perhaps needs a break or two now and then.

Moby

Dick
but Zlatan shouldn't be immune to some criticism when he deserves it.
No one should be and he'll obviously be told by Jose to finish the sort of chances he has missed but first of all no striker converts every single chance he gets and secondly, we are in October! Insane to even talk about dropping him.

Jaxdan

No one should be and he'll obviously be told by Jose to finish the sort of chances he has missed but first of all no striker converts every single chance he gets and secondly, we are in October! Insane to even talk about dropping him.
I agree with you. I don't expect perfection. I played, no where near this level, but at least enough to realize how difficult the beautiful game is. But this isn't the only recent miss, if it were I doubt this thread would exist. I guess it depends on what your definition of 'dropping' someone. Resting a 35 year old for a match or two doesn't qualify as that in my book, perhaps it's terminology lost in translation across the pond. :cool:

Denis79

I agree with you. I don't expect perfection. I played, no where near this level, but at least enough to realize how difficult the beautiful game is. But this isn't the only recent miss, if it were I doubt this thread would exist. I guess it depends on what your definition of 'dropping' someone. Resting a 35 year old for a match or two doesn't qualify as that in my book, perhaps it's terminology lost in translation across the pond. :cool:
When the word drop pops up on this forum it generally means sell. :)

Personally I think he has started well for us.

RedStarUnited

People talking about his age being the reason, no its not. He is just having a stinker in the last month or so. He is getting into great positions but his accuracy has been crazy off.

But like he says, atleast he is there for the chances and that they will start going in soon. We hope.

Cos if we had the 12/13 RVP up top this year we would be level on points with City at the minimum.

Jaxdan

People talking about his age being the reason, no its not. He is just having a stinker in the last month or so. He is getting into great positions but his accuracy has been crazy off.

But like he says, atleast he is there for the chances and that they will start going in soon. We hope.

Cos if we had the 12/13 RVP up top this year we would be level on points with City at the minimum.

Realizing age can be a relative thing. Zlatan at 35 can have the physio of another at 28. So it probably is simplistic to say. But...he is 35. :wenger: