Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Dobba

Well if we're following this dumb analogy through, the IRA would have raided Lancashire and slaughtered and raped a few thousand people, and gone to Leeds festival and killed a few hundred partying teenagers, and people like you would have presumably said it was justified?
In this analogy are you salivating at the idea of carpet bombing Belfast, whilst putting blockades on energy and food into the area, or do we only get to tell the other side what they'd be thinking and doing?

owlo

I've reread your comment, and I realise it was meant in good faith. So fair enough.
It's quite a common flashpoint between the religious/right and the moderate/seculars in Israel, so it's no problem if you're outraged! I'm not very popular in general here right now.

Amarsdd

UN said israel has targeted and bombed civilian tower blocks and hospitals in the gaza strip.

How is that not a war crime?

Targeting military targets is legit, civilian tower blocks and hospitals though?

The UN video response is on this page, not sure how to just get the video though.

https://aje.io/o1fsl5?update=2397222
It is a war crime. And it has been for a while. But given Israel is the ally the west needs in that region, everything will be overlooked; just a retaliation against "unprovoked terrorism".
I had the same thought process as a lot of the people seem to have i.e. Israel is just retaliating against terrorist states to protect themselves. However after seeing Abby Martin's Gaza Fights for Freedon (about the Peaceful march of return where IDF snipers targetted with authorization two year olds, kids, pregnant women, medics, journalists amongst other in the march), I had to read up a lot in this matter which sorta made me realize what was actually going on there.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
According to reports, they've found beheaded babies in Kfar Azar....Israel will not stop until Hamas is history.
Please be careful with what you post. Specially without sources to back it up. Tensions are already high enough.

Drizzle

In this analogy are you salivating at the idea of carpet bombing Belfast, whilst putting blockades on energy and food into the area, or do we only get to tell the other side what they'd be thinking and doing?
No, that side of it is true too. I'm just saying it's a lazy analogy, I guess on both sides of it. I think the 'underdogs together' thing is naive but I'm not Irish or Palestinian so it's easy to say.

MDFC Manager

The current Minister of National Defense for Israel, Itamar Ben-Gvir, used to have a portrait of Baruch Goldstein, a terrorist who killed 29 Palestinians, hanging in his living room.

He was the lawyer for Amiram Ben-Uriel, an Israeli settler who firebombed a house and burned Ali Dawabsheh, an 18-month-old Palestinian child, to death. Israeli settlers showed up to the trial and taunted the boy's grandfather, singing "Where's Ali? There's no Ali. Ali is burned. On the fire. Ali is on the grill."

He was present at a wedding in which guests stabbed and burned a photo of the child. He later claimed nobody realized who the baby in the photo was.
What a nice, civilized bunch.

The Irish are the only bastion of morality left in Europe.
Always liked the Irish!

Amarsdd

Isreal treat civilian casualties as acceptable collateral damage, partly due to the fact that Hamas position themselves around vulnerable civilian infrastructure. It’s unfortunate, but there is a distinction between accepting civilian casualties and outright seeking them out. If Israeli soldiers started purposely gunning down women and children and claiming victory, I suspect world opinion would shift very quickly. And who knows, maybe that will be the case when they go in.
You should read about the march of return or just watch Abby Martin's Gaza fights for freedom. That is exactly what they did and nothing changed.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He already posted a source
Well if this is indeed true and with oficial confirmation, I'm afraid it's going to be hell on earth for Gaza. Even worse than what already is. No chance of any compromise whatsoever, now or in the future.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
American leadership and initiative seems needed here. No one else has the geopolitical weight to get a peaceful solution moving. But the US is staunchly pro-Israel.
The US government is obviously very pro-Israel, and that extends to both political parties. Its probably one of the last remaining issues where Republicans and Democrats largely agree.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
All this for...disrupting Israeli's normalizing relationships with Saudis and others?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Well if this is indeed true and with oficial confirmation, I'm afraid it's going to be hell on earth for Gaza. Even worse than what already is. No chance of any compromise whatsoever, now or in the future.
Jeez, wonder how Israeli society is responding to this.

RedC

No, that side of it is true too. I'm just saying it's a lazy analogy, I guess on both sides of it. I think the 'underdogs together' thing is naive but I'm not Irish or Palestinian so it's easy to say.
'Underdogs', Jesus Christ :lol:

Roane

These reports have not been verified by any media outlet as of yet.

This is something that was told to one outlet by some IDF soldiers and others ran with it.

I sincerely hope it isn't true. If true it's totally barbaric and those doing it are cnuts. If not then the IDF are cnuts.

zaafi

This is something that was told to one outlet by some IDF soldiers and others ran with it.

I sincerely hope it isn't true. If true it's totally barbaric and those doing it are cnuts. If not then the IDF are cnuts.
It's not unlikely at all. They are ISIS/cartel levels of evil. There is no limit to what they are able to do. Genuine scum.

Roane

It's not unlikely at all. They are ISIS/cartel levels of evil. There is no limit to what they are able to do. Genuine scum.
Currently this is just IDF saying it and they are scum of the greatest degree. So who to believe?

All this for...disrupting Israeli's normalizing relationships with Saudis and others?

Amongst all that and all the handwringing and the kids trying to justify any of it, I'd love to know what Hamas think this will get them. It's almost certain Gaza will be flattened and Hamas in Gaza will cease to exist. Or is it just the leadership safe in Qatar are happy to sacrifice a few hundred thousand people to get in Iran's good books.

owlo

The US government is obviously very pro-Israel, and that extends to both political parties. Its probably one of the last remaining issues where Republicans and Democrats largely agree.
Has there been much backlash against Tlaib and co yet?

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
As far as I know, not even ISIS beheaded babies. I've never imagined we can see terror worse than from ISIS. It's even fecking up my mind, although I've seen most gruesome Ukrainian war footage. I need a pause from this and I sincerely hope the IDF lied in this case.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Amongst all that and all the handwringing and the kids trying to justify any of it, I'd love to know what Hamas think this will get them. It's almost certain Gaza will be flattened and Hamas in Gaza will cease to exist. Or is it just the leadership safe in Qatar are happy to sacrifice a few hundred thousand people to get in Iran's good books.
Think the latter.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Gotta remember just how shielded many of these jews and their kids are; they have no idea how to deal with conflict or bullies. At the risk of using anti semitic tropes, think kyle. They dont know how to identify or react to danger because all they know is their community, which they tend to live insularly in. Holidays are to Israel, Jew studies are often 5 hours a day, and they have an overriding idea that 'what will be will be' and 'god will protect us if we deserve it' so walk around like lemmings.
What the feck?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I can't believe that Trump hasn't said he'll sort it out the day he gets re-elected

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There are several angles to this.

- In recent weeks, Iran's three biggest enemies (US, Saudi, and Israel) have been working on a long term peace deal between the Saudis and Israelis. Given the reports that last weekend's terror operation was allegedly planned for two years, its timing seems more coincidental than anything, but the long term ramifications obviously work out in favor of the Iranians (who fund and train Hamas).

- The Hamas leadership are probably somewhat surprised at how well things went and that they were able to easily overwhelm, murder, and kidnap at will in the initial hours. That said, I think the Hamas goal would've been to take as many hostages as possible and use them as bargaining chips to negotiate the release of Palestinian hostages, gain political concessions from the Israelis, reorient global attention back to the middle east (and away from Ukraine), and as a bonus, kill any Israeli momentum towards bilateral peace deals with other Arab countries.

- Things however seem to have gone wrong for Hamas leadership in that they did not factor in the likelihood that the attack would galvanize Israel to actually invade Gaza to disarm and entirely remove Hamas, and subsequently reoccupy Gaza to prevent any further militant activity from ever being able to harm them.

This is why it feels like a ground war followed by a lengthy counterinsurgency campaign is inevitable, which given the amount of people in such a small area, would likely go on for weeks and months. Heavy civilian casualties will ensue.

Revan

Assumptionman
My guess of what the main actors thought:

Hamas leaders were seeing in real time the end of hope for a Palestinian nation, and a Palestinian state. So decided to go out with a bang, knowing well the response of Israel. Maybe having some slight hope that this escalates beyond Israel-Palestine conflict, which will break the status quo. On other words, trying to end purgatory while knowing that the most likely scenario to follow it will be hell.

Hamas soldiers who did the acts: revenge driven radicalised terrorists who do not value their lives, let alone the victims lives. Essentially, ISIS-like beasts.

Iran: hoping for a massive response by Israel, that would be such chilling that will make impossible the normalization between Saudi Arabia and Israel, and a degradation on relations between Israel and some of the Arab countries which either have good relations with Israel (Jordan, Egypt) or in process of normalization (UAE).

Netanyahu (by essentially empowering Hamas during these years and continuously escalating): the excuse to get once and for all the Gaza strip, and remove 2.5 million Palestinians from their land.

Russia (supporting Iran in preparing this): Opening a new conflict that takes the focus away from Ukraine. They have been trying this in other places too, but in a smaller scale.

owlo

Yea, she can go feck herself. That's simply a 'you had it coming, but I have no not sound like a barbarian, now give me what i want.' post.

What the feck?
See here:

It's not inaccurate, nor uncommon in sheltered communities. Whether you like to think so or not. And its their right to hold that way of life should they want to do so.

E-mal

The actions of Hamas, a terrorist organisation is barbaric and is condemnable. However, two wrongs cannot make a right and the current bombing of Gaza will put innocent lives at risk. The only way forward is to de-escalate the conflict and begin genuine discussions about the solution for palestine. I know it is a bitter pill to swallow but someone must break the circle of violence.

frostbite

Hamas are arseholes. Israel has been an arsehole for decades. Two arseholes behaving like arseholes for the world to see.

If ever a Western intervention was required, this is it. fecking appalling behaviour on both sides.
No, Israel and Hamas are similar. Hamas are terrorists, they are like ISIS, Taliban, Iran. Even without Israel Hamas would be terrible for their own people, like the Taliban are for Afghanistan.

zaafi

The actions of Hamas, a terrorist organisation is barbaric and is condemnable. However, two wrongs cannot make a right and the current bombing of Gaza will put innocent lives at risk. The only way forward is to de-escalate the conflict and begin genuine discussions about the solution for palestine. I know it is a bitter pill to swallow but someone must break the circle of violence.
The solution for Palestine? The solution is literally to surrender or be nuked to oblivion. I don't think they can even surrender at this point.

Hamas are not looking for a solution. They want to destroy every single Jew on this planet. They aren't looking to just liberate Palestine.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

It's not like the IDF have ever lied before as well.