It is tiring pretending that there is not a right way to 'support' a club - there absolutely is

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Without the players and staff Manchester United is just a name on a building that's going to decrepit over time until it crumbles into a pile of dust and memories of people long forgotten. For a sport that is largely built on entertainment and peoples emotional connetion to club and players, pretending that we're a faceless Fortune 500 company that should only judge its character on the bottom line is a very impressive way of pretending to be something you're not: An automaton who'se prime objective is to win above all else.

I think you're intentionally ignoring the rich history this club has with it's local lads and academy graduates. The class of 92' has literally reached legend status as a group, not just as individuals. And you don't understand why support for the locals lads is a central tenet of this club? Really?

Up untl 2004 football fans were largely what most Manchester United fans remain today: Passionate fans with tunnelvision when it comes to their own players and history. History is important, it's the very REASON to support something.

After Roman bought Chelsea we started to slowly enter a period of football where enormous amounts of cash was funneled into the sport, social media took off and it changed the entire ecosystem in terms of availability, discussion, discourse and loyalty.

Football fans in their early 20s and younger have grown up with the realization that football clubs should buy every player thanks to the help of their incredibly rich owners to win everything. Clubs like PSG, Manchester City and Chelsea are completely fabricated teams that wouldn't exist today without it's owners funneling money the club never had the potential to aquire on it's own. Even Liverpool were saved from mediocricy during the Fenway takeover.

Rich owners have become just a important part of a clubs identity as the players to some fans, buying your way to the top is the norm. Loyalty is to no one. It's the real life version of Football Manager where players are as expendable as their last performance. "We can just get a new centerback for £50 million, how hard can it be".

Imagine thinking that the people who have entire sections of the club named after them, are former expendable replacable employees.
If I may use your response as an example of why the OP has some good points:

The suggestion of giving constructive criticism and leeway, you call ‘blind faith’.

To support the players is to you ‘lack of ambition’.

To give extra leeway and opportunities to local youngsters, aka The Matt Busby Method, to you ‘makes no sense’ and is ‘nationalist’.

In effect, to you the connection with Manchester means nothing extra, the players are just tools for you to fulfil your personal ambition, and having faith in the lads is to you a threat of robbing you of your success.

From what you call ‘the club’, you subtract the area Manchester and it’s people, the tradition as laid down by i.e. Busby and Ferguson, the players, coaches and staff doing the actual work and play, and what remains is effectively only you and your idea of the brand MUFC(tm). All the others are really against you, a problem to be solved.

I think the OP is right, that is not ‘supporting a club’, you are not actually supporting it in that way. Rather using it for your own means. I think it more fair actually if individual fans rather thought of themselves as more expendable than the coaches, players and staff. A collective of supporters is not expendable. Individuals who don’t support, are.
Any mods reading this thread... is there a way this thread can be put into the classics for these posts alone? Fantastic contribution lads and made me smile a lot!

Morpheus 7

RAWK absolutely has a better level of quality than RedCafe.

I think I'm someone who goes the matches, loves United and promotes positivity with realistic expectations.

How many more people are going to have to say they stopped visiting the forum because of all the shit negativity before people realise this isn't a 'both sides' argument.
Loves to go matches ha ha....
How many matches did you go to?
How many jerseys do you have?
Are you from Manchester?
This I'm a real man fan nonsense is embarrassing, top red shit needs to end. Maybe you stick to RAWK and spread your positivity there. Childish behaviour it's really pathetic, you are acting the big man in this thread today. Typical keyboard warrior, who would say nothing to a poster face to face. I said to you in the past, the clue is in your name on here WUM.

DickDastardly

So, it's OK to say that Jose Mourinho didn't get "the United way" and should be sacked, but it's not OK to think that Ole Gunnar isn't "good enough" for the job.

Because that's literally the only difference between your topics and post on Mourinho and other posts on Ole.

Or am i missing the point?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If I may use your response as an example of why the OP has some good points:

The suggestion of giving constructive criticism and leeway, you call ‘blind faith’.

To support the players is to you ‘lack of ambition’.

To give extra leeway and opportunities to local youngsters, aka The Matt Busby Method, to you ‘makes no sense’ and is ‘nationalist’.

In effect, to you the connection with Manchester means nothing extra, the players are just tools for you to fulfil your personal ambition, and having faith in the lads is to you a threat of robbing you of your success.

From what you call ‘the club’, you subtract the area Manchester and it’s people, the tradition as laid down by i.e. Busby and Ferguson, the players, coaches and staff doing the actual work and play, and what remains is effectively only you and your idea of the brand MUFC(tm). All the others are really against you, a problem to be solved.

I think the OP is right, that is not ‘supporting a club’, you are not actually supporting it in that way. Rather using it for your own means. I think it more fair actually if individual fans rather thought of themselves as more expendable than the coaches, players and staff. A collective of supporters is not expendable. Individuals who don’t support, are.
I don’t care about sentiment. Class of 92’s come once a lifetime. Our last title win was spearheaded by a Dutchman, our last CL by a Portuguese. It doesn’t matter to me if our team is all British or no homegrown at all. I only care about if you’re good enough to take us back to the top. We had local lad Lingard playing 10 for us & we were midtable, we brought in Portuguese Bruno & got 3rd. How many scousers were in the Liverpool team that won the league? One, Trent, because he’s good enough. There’s a reason why Flanagan, Spearing, Kelly, etc aren’t there anymore.

freeurmind

weak willed
So, it's OK to say that Jose Mourinho didn't get "the United way" and should be sacked, but it's not OK to think that Ole Gunnar isn't "good enough" for the job.

Because that's literally the only difference between your topics and post on Mourinho and other posts on Ole.

This is a point that should be repeated. There were a lot of people on here only too happy to criticize Mourinho even when he was getting decent results but then wouldn't want to hear a single bad word about Ole even when he was doing badly.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

“My opinion is the correct opinion, if you disagree with me you’re not a real fan”

Thats pretty much what the OP is saying.

It’s obviously a double standard, but it’s to be expected from a top red. They are more interested in romance & sentiment than they are us winning major trophies.

U99ted

It's easy for RAWK to look like a good forum when they've just had a Champions League & Premier League to celebrate. Hopefully we'll be celebrating the latter in May :)

Even then, you see their posts after the Southampton game (their 7th defeat in 100 PL games), the FA is already corrupt and bent in our favour. Stuff like that is just as bad as people moaning about the players &.manager.

Shark

@NotShark
“My opinion is the correct opinion, if you disagree with me you’re not a real fan”

It’s obviously a double standard, but it’s to be expected from a top red. They are more interested in romance & sentiment than they are us winning major trophies.
Yep. Which is why the majority of them were content with us being knocked out of a semi final by City. The desire to keep the romanticism going at the expense of the club winning trophes is very evident.

GazTheLegend

Sentimentality is exactly what football supporting is all about.
It's a major part of it. Quite a few people on here, I suspect, learned about Manchester United as a club by playing the FIFA games, which explains why they think transfers are simple matters of numbers and never quite grasp that there's a human being involved.
Yep. Which is why the majority of them were content with us being knocked out of a semi final by City. The desire to keep the romanticism going at the expense of the club winning trophes is very evident.
Implying that you as a fan have a choice in whether we win trophies or not :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyone that's been around the block and seen a few football teams play (The Nottingham Forests, Sparta Pragues, Glasgow Rangerses of the world) knows that your name absolutely does not mean jack shit when it comes to WINNING. The romanticism attracts fans, the fans bring money, the money brings investment and the investment is what brings the success. Clubs like Manchester City and Paris st Germain skipped three of those steps, and jumped right into the trophy part. Whether that actually means that over the course of decades that changes anything is the philosophical question here, but how you handle it as a fan is the only thing YOU have any control of. Being a big baby and writing abusive bullshit at our footballers after games of football doesn't do anything good for you or anyone else, and it certainly doesn't make you the Roy Keane sort of figure some people on Redcafe seem to compare themselves to as of right now.

RUCK4444

You don’t care about sentiment, about the the traditions and romanticism of United?

That says it all really.

You support a club for more than just trophies. And the childish pedantic way ‘fans’ demand instant trophies will make the wait feel all the more longer.

You can shout ‘top red’ but that’s just a cop out.

Your literally saying if my team doesn’t win trophies then I’m not going to fully support said team.

Go and ask mid table clubs fans, or championship fans why they go to game after game home and away with the guarantee of winning nothing every season. Then the penny might drop.

dev1l

People comparing their groaning with Keane criticism is laughable and delusional.

Keane is a top pro who won it all, so he knew what he was talking.about. Not some clueless 15 year old on Internet :))

TrustInOle

I find myself enjoying football alot more now when I don't immediately jump on the Caf during or straight after games. Leave it a couple of hours and give you the advantage of sifting through the hyperbole and knee jerk responses.

I do think fans, for whatever reason, have more unrealistic expectations on their football club these days, especially the top end clubs.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I find myself enjoying football alot more now when I don't immediately jump on the Caf during or straight after games. Leave it a couple of hours and give you the advantage of sifting through the hyperbole and knee jerk responses.

I do think fans, for whatever reason, have more unrealistic expectations on their football club these days, especially the top end clubs.
Another fan who is saying they post less on this forum because of the postings of negativity.

four now.

simplyared

I prefer it the way it is! Spontaneity and freedom of speech! Agree there are posters who go over the top. If its allowed to stay on by the mods then either ignore it or voice your opinion against it. Fight your corner! call them out! whatever!
You're always going to get fans screaming insults at their own players. Back in the day when you stood up at matches it was commonplace hearing fans ranting and raving saying all kinds of things.
After the Leipzig game for instance I was livid sitting in my armchair (not at the games these days) and calling out our manager for not doing the obvious by subbing off Fred because I was convinced it lost us the game. @Schmeichel's Cartwheel reacted with a bit of a rant to show his disapproval. I can understand that. No big deal. True fans get emotional both in victory and defeat.
That or maybe we should all go back to eating our prawn sandwiches and pretend everything is honky dory!

Last edited:

TrustInOle

Another fan who is saying they post less on this forum because of the postings of negativity.

four now.
It is true though. One of my reasons for signing up was because I thought I could add a little positivity, but you just get drowned out and called an Ole inner and I can't talk sense because of my username.

It is tiresome tbh.

hobbers

Yes and Roy Keane was LET GO from Manchester United because of that attitude, shame that doesn't happen to some people on here. Read up on Roy Keane and Darren Fletcher, if you can't remember that far back, and the decision Alex Ferguson made, mainly.
Eh, what? Roy Keane made it in football because of that attitude. He was signed by Fergie partly because of that attitude. He was made captain because of that attitude. He had such a fantastic career at United and was revered by his peers precisely because of that attitude. He was let go because he was old and injury prone.

four now.
Practically enough to start a new forum.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

four now.
You can add me to that list. I still think you're opening yourself up to accusations of hypocrisy given your posting history, but there is little doubt that the quality of posting is as low as it ever has been in my 17 odd years of being here.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
is this a question of how to support the team or just a question of blue blood?
From the city where the team is based or surroundings, going to the stadium and who in some way considers that he is more attached to the club than the rest?

If that's the case, I'm sure there are examples on each team, perhaps an answer to everything being so global.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
By the creator of When does Mourinho's job comes under threat, in November 2016.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

Look at this - football journalists alluding to “true United fans”....

it’s almost like... they read this place.:lol:

JPRouve

Scout
Yes.
I am really struggling to see the contradiction.
You were negative about Mourinho and it started early, you also explained that it was because the team was depressing from your pov. You didn't have positive feelings about the club and you weren't a lesser fan, so stop that nonsense about how others should feel and the way to support a club.

Eplel

Anyway, another thread that was destined to be a shitshow, and it is tiring pretending that this is about supporting the club, and not about some people's egos.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You were negative about Mourinho and it started early, you also explained that it was because the team was depressing from your pov. You didn't have positive feelings about the club and you weren't a lesser fan, so stop that nonsense about how others should feel and the way to support a club.
Someone has actually listed the reasons that I was negative about Mourinho in here. They linked to a fantastic thread that spoke to United’s ideology and how Mourinho went against that. Ultimately, what we are arguing here is that I felt Solskjaer fit United’s history more than Mourinho... that is undeniable.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It's amazing the Ole out thread got closed yet stupidity like this is allowed to stay and by an OP who has a history of making these nonsense topics as well.

JPRouve

Scout
Someone has actually listed the reasons that I was negative about Mourinho in here. They linked to a fantastic thread that spoke to United’s ideology and how Mourinho went against that. Ultimately, what we are arguing here is that I felt Solskjaer fit United’s history more than Mourinho... that is undeniable.
That's also subjective and beside the point. You can't you, wumminator, decide when others can feel positively or negatively while you do whatever you want. If you feel that Solskjaer fits United then talk about that but don't start righteous nonsensical thread where you pretend that there is a way to support or feel about a club when you didn't and won't follow that way when it suits you.

Grande

I don’t care about sentiment. Class of 92’s come once a lifetime. Our last title win was spearheaded by a Dutchman, our last CL by a Portuguese. It doesn’t matter to me if our team is all British or no homegrown at all. I only care about if you’re good enough to take us back to the top. We had local lad Lingard playing 10 for us & we were midtable, we brought in Portuguese Bruno & got 3rd. How many scousers were in the Liverpool team that won the league? One, Trent, because he’s good enough. There’s a reason why Flanagan, Spearing, Kelly, etc aren’t there anymore.
You didn’t answer the post, though. You say ‘us’, but everyone but you seem to be expendable to you, so I don’t know whou ‘us’ is to you really. And I’d argue that if you don’t care for sentiment, it’s impossible to have feelings for a particular football club.

Grande

That's also subjective and beside the point. You can't you, wumminator, decide when others can feel positively or negatively while you do whatever you want. If you feel that Solskjaer fits United then talk about that but don't start righteous nonsensical thread where you pretend that there is a way to support or feel about a club when you didn't and won't follow that way when it suits you.
I think you’re derailing if you say this thread is about Solskjær. That’s not what the OP says, and I think the OP has a few good points regardless of who the manager is.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Why do you support Manchester United?
Because I am from Manchester & my family do. I didn’t choose United like most on here, it’s just all I know.

i find it funny when people who aren’t even from here, started supporting the club in their teenage years & have never been to a game their life tell me that I’m not a real fan.

JPRouve

Scout
I think you’re derailing if you say this thread is about Solskjær. That’s not what the OP says, and I think the OP has a few good points regardless of who the manager is.
That's what the OP answered to me, so that's exactly what the thread is about. I didn't bring Solskjaer into it.

Posh Red

There are several player performance threads that I don’t enter anymore because I know before hand how negative the discussion will be. Sometimes downright nastiness to be honest

GazTheLegend

That's what the OP answered to me, so that's exactly what the thread is about. I didn't bring Solskjaer into it.
A lot of people were against the toxicity over Mourinho too, but it HAS to be said a lot of the toxicity was brought on by Mourinho himself (literally slating our own club in press conferences near the end for fecks sake). Nobody is saying the toxicity was right then, and to be honest it was over the top a bit even then, but it's got even worse now, stop pretending it's not and derailing the thread through whataboutisms and ad hominem attacks.

Anybody's Guess

I'm sure people like OP are the first to complain when creative players like Bruno and Pogba (Ronaldo before) lose the ball or make an error, but go out of their way to make threads like this signalling their undying support for players who can't even get the basics right and clearly are not good enough for a club with ambitions of winning.

If some negative comments on an online forum rattles any of our players I would assume they are not mentally fit to play for the club. Most of them are probably on twitter/Instagram anyway so I'm sure they have heard it all before. Negative results or games where things aren't really going our way provokes more debate than when things go according to plan. It's not that difficult a concept to grasp.

GazTheLegend

Eh, what? Roy Keane made it in football because of that attitude. He was signed by Fergie partly because of that attitude. He was made captain because of that attitude. He had such a fantastic career at United and was revered by his peers precisely because of that attitude. He was let go because he was old and injury prone.
To be fair to your point, the reasons Keane left were a lot more nuanced than I suggested and I'm sorry about that, but PLENTY of players have had just as succesful careers without finding the need to rip apart and embarass their team mates on a public broadcast. He says himself the fine he got for that interview (£5000) was ultimately the reason he walked away, annd that's fair enough, but you're not wrong, he was playing less and less. Nobody here is Roy Keane though. And it's a bit tiring because there is a big difference between constructive criticism and debate, and personal abuse. Darren Fletcher said himself there is a "middle ground" somewhere in this interview https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...l-news/darren-fletcher-keane-man-utd-17244555 "
Darren Fletcher said:
"The long and short of it is that I knew Roy Keane liked me and that was his way of showing he liked me, because he knew I was capable of more and wanted to challenge me.
"He would say 'yes, I was little bit harsh there on Fletch but it's because I like him and want him to do well'.
"So, for me, it was no problem at all. But I can see why Sir Alex Ferguson had a problem with the interview.
"The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. It is not as bad as people think, but, at the same time, a manager had to make a decision based on what he thinks is best for the good of the team."
Maybe that's more of what I want from Redcafe itself.