Television It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

walsh

AD and IASIP are both excellent but their senses of humour are rather different. IASIP is a lot darker and fecked up and they're all just generally terrible people. Always Sunny is probably my favourite show ever, I watch them over again repeatedly.

Willlllllcard bitches, YEEEEEEHAWWWWW!

twitter thread suggester
Sunny is my favorite show as well. One of the few that consistently make me laugh out loud.

walsh

Decent first episode, I think it will get better as it progresses though. Glenn Howerton (Dennis) said recently he thinks it's some of their best work this series and I'm going to choose to believe him! I do love how Dee sort've started as a bit of a nothing character who just wasn't as funny as the guys to being really funny and part of some of the best scenes.

walsh

It didn't. I watched the first 15 episodes or so and it wasn't for me at all. The characters are bad people, which is supposed to be the comedy, but there ain't much comedy. It's a little bit how I viewed the US Office, except that had far better characters.
fecking hell :lol:

walsh

Yeah I thought it'd be a mistake to come into a thread about a comedy and say I didn't like that comedy, and wasn't overly taken in another.

Opinions, eh?
I've no problem with you voicing your opinion and if you'd only seen the first few episodes I'd understand how you might not quite 'get it' yet. It's just when you started comparing it to the US Office, I couldn't take it seriously at all.

Liam147

On Probation
I've no problem with you voicing your opinion and if you'd only seen the first few episodes I'd understand how you might not quite 'get it' yet. It's just when you started comparing it to the US Office, I couldn't take it seriously at all.
In the sense that I was never really hooked on it. Though the writing for Michael Scott and the Sunny cast appeared quite similar. A lot of "Oh no he didn't just say that!" faux-shock humour, highlighting how 'bad' the characters were.

How many of Scott's lines were him just being wildly inappropriate? How many of the Sunny's lines are people just being wildly inappropriate? Yeah, that's the best way to describe them - 'inappropriate humour'.

walsh

In the sense that I was never really hooked on it. Though the writing for Michael Scott and the Sunny cast appeared quite similar. A lot of "Oh no he didn't just say that!" faux-shock humour, highlighting how 'bad' the characters were.

How many of Scott's lines were him just being wildly inappropriate? How many of the Sunny's lines are people just being wildly inappropriate? Yeah, that's the best way to describe them - 'inappropriate humour'.
On the most basic of levels, I suppose they both use Inappropriate humour. However, Michael Scott wants absolutely everyone to like him, he's just completely socially inept. At heart he is genuinely a nice person though. The Always Sunny cast are genuine sociopaths who have grown so far detached from society that they no longer care about anything outside of their little bubble and have become entirely co-dependent and have no regard for anyone at all. The humour is very different other than being, in the main, uninformed gibberish. The Office is based on feeling good and learning to love the characters, Always Sunny is a much, much darker humour where you're always aware that they are fundamentally terrible people.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I can understand people not liking the show because it's loud and in your face and there's very little subtlety to any of the comedy, but it just seems like Liam's completely missed the point of the show. In fact in spite of that lack of subtlety it actually seems like most of the cultural references have went completely over his head.

Goooose

I can understand people not liking the show because it's loud and in your face and there's very little subtlety to any of the comedy, but it just seems like Liam's completely missed the point of the show. In fact in spite of that lack of subtlety it actually seems like most of the cultural references have went completely over his head.
It seems to divide opinion. One of my mates called it "too slapstick". I obviously disagree, but I understand where he's coming from.

walsh

The thing is that so much of the humour is based on in-jokes and the audience being aware of the character's personalities, flaws etc, that I can understand why anyone dropping in and out might not quite get it. I remember a few years ago I showed a friend of mine a few clips or episodes and he thought it was decent but then when he decided to watch it from the beginning, he really started to appreciate it on a similar level to me.

Liam147

On Probation
I certainly don't recall picking up on many cultural references. That said, I'm watching an American show from the early 2000s. For me I think it was that the humour was primarily there to shock you into how terrible these people were. But I didn't find that very funny. It's like, yeah, we get it, they're all self-serving narcissists, but that seemed a little repetitive, and it didn't feel like there was any real story going anywhere.

walsh

I certainly don't recall picking up on many cultural references. That said, I'm watching an American show from the early 2000s. For me I think it was that the humour was primarily there to shock you into how terrible these people were. But I didn't find that very funny. It's like, yeah, we get it, they're all self-serving narcissists, but that seemed a little repetitive, and it didn't feel like there was any real story going anywhere.
It's a sitcom, not a drama series. Also, the show didn't start until 2005, it's not like the cultural references are hugely outdated. I know trying to persuade someone to like something is impossible, and I'm not really that bothered, but pretty much every sitcom or comedy series has repetitive or consistent themes. This is especially prevalent in Always Sunny and is what draws in a cult following similar to the likes of Arrested Development. There are definitely big elements of shock and cringe humour, maybe you don't really like that which is fair enough.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The latest ep :lol:

"There's a man crawling out of your floor".

Brophs

The One and Only
In fairness if I worked on that show I'd spend most of the time corpsing too.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
On the most basic of levels, I suppose they both use Inappropriate humour. However, Michael Scott wants absolutely everyone to like him, he's just completely socially inept. At heart he is genuinely a nice person though. The Always Sunny cast are genuine sociopaths who have grown so far detached from society that they no longer care about anything outside of their little bubble and have become entirely co-dependent and have no regard for anyone at all. The humour is very different other than being, in the main, uninformed gibberish. The Office is based on feeling good and learning to love the characters, Always Sunny is a much, much darker humour where you're always aware that they are fundamentally terrible people.

The brilliance of Sunny's execution of this as compared to something like Workaholics is that the actions of the character in Sunny as terrible human beings are things that most people in that situation would briefly consider as a possibility but dismiss after half a second as being the actions of a genuinely terrible person.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Really do love this show. On around season 7 in it (the one where Mac gets fat :lol: ). It's definitely much more crude humor, and I agree pretty with pretty much everything Sharky said. They do all the things you think about for a second then laugh it off.
Also why do some people always look for a story in a show? This show clearly has no semblance of an underlying story at all, unless you count Charlie's undying love for the waitress a story :lol:
Its just a sitcom, something you can sit down and watch whatever episode you want and it won't feel out of place.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ep 9 is called The Gang Makes Lethal Weapon 6 :drool:

walsh

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by how much I've liked the new season. They seem to keep being able to make good episodes without having to scrape the barrel or re-hash old plotlines too much.

Sean William Scott's character was hilarious and I absolutely loved Mac stressing out about greasing up the beefcakes :lol:

Eriku

Loving the new season... I've felt they've been floundering a bit for a few seasons, but this one's been class so far :)