It's pre-season and we are in dire straits

AFC NimbleThumb

Good post OP.

I would call the situation laughable & say we deserve this but I’d be called a ‘plastic’ & get 2 points for Quality Control.

We are a joke of a club currently & there are fans that are actively welcoming our demise with some of the things they’re pleased are happening but even Rooney gets a hard time on here so. . . Football Bloody ‘ell.

Hopefully as expectations are so low a 7th place finish will feel better than it sounds now.

Camilo

We need to let Ole have at least five transfer windows to build his own team. It's a long term project. Rome wasn't built in a day. He needs time to clear out the deadwood. How can we judge when these aren't his players?

UnitedChampionsAgain

We still have 90% of the players we had last season. The same players who didn't give a damn. Why should they be any different in the new season. They were happy enough to lie down and lose to Cardiff in the final game at OT ffs. What can Ole say to them that he hasn't said before? Without a massive clearout I'm afraid we're doomed for many seasons to come.

Bo_7iDaR

We need to let Ole have at least five transfer windows to build his own team. It's a long term project. Rome wasn't built in a day. He needs time to clear out the deadwood. How can we judge when these aren't his players?
You're onto something here, but I'd say ten windows rather than five.

manunited1919

@Ranchero, 100% with you. You also forgot to point out we are possibly going into the season with Rashford as our main striker. If we lose Pogba or Lukaku and don’t bring in proper replacements/reinforcements, I can see us having a really disastrous season.

Will Ed finally realize there IS a correlation between shit football and diminishing revenues?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Take a deep breath and accept mediocrity. Any win will feel like a cup win and any loss will feel like "meh". Look on the bright side too: no one can accuse us of being bandwagon fans - until we become bandwagon worthy again. But at that point you laugh in someone s face and say : look buddy, I supported United before 2020, don't tell me I'm bandwagon.

manunited1919

@Ranchero to me your view is realism and calling it like you see it. I don’t find your post depressing, it challenges. What is depressing is the numbers of people here in the CAF that think we are headed in the right direction, and who call posts like yours “moaning”.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I'm looking forward to the season. Mostly because it's shit without football. We've signed Wan-Bissaka.

Hopefully we'll get top four and be able to play in the CL

I can see us really climbing the table next season

:lol:

Irwin99

It’s looking like we will at least have a better summer than our rivals for top 4.

i very much doubt we’re getting anywhere near City, pool or even Spurs next season but looking at the other clubs, We’ve actually been getting deals done, one first teamer and one squad player followed by an incoming first choice centre back (very likely Maguire). Our defence should be much stronger.

It’s still very open as to which players are coming and going. If Pogba and Lukaku go and no replaces them then I think we can panic but I wouldnt be surprised if We replace them with players who will fit our system better.

Frank Grimes

I have more respect for people who face the harsh reality and outline the truth than those pretending they are better fans because they are not whining. Absolute dumb people, the latter.

hobbers

We need to at least give the boys the chance to impress the gaffer ffs can't judge this lot until summer 2021 there's ways to do things calmly
Nonsense, the players are all still so young. Lingard won't reach his peak until 2043.

robinvpersie

I really wish that meant that we were all singing Money for Nothing and the players for free.

But no.

We have effectively bought one first team player for £50m in Wan Bassaka. I would definitely take that. But everyone knows that on its own is not going to make much difference to United's position.

Right now Solskjaer has said we are "working on a case or two" transfer wise. ONE OR TWO??!! That is just not good enough.

And he says: "It's a long-term and it's a short-term project. You cannot just think three years down the line, so we've got short-term goals as well."

It's short term that is the issue. I do hope that this is not an early sign that we are again going to have a poor transfer window, and that, oh it will be okay in another year or two.

Even in the most positive scenario, and we brought in Bruno Fernandez and Maguire (I'd prefer Diop) that is not going to cut the mustard.

Right now we have Pogba's agent saying he wants another challenge. So i would hope we are doing more than a couple more deals. Bruno Fernandez CANNOT be our replacement for Pogba. Pogba needs replaced.

And while most fans would love the idea of Pogba at his best and Fernandez in midfield, that is not going to happen. If the Frenchman stays, he will bring us down, as he did at the end of last season.

But this Fernandez idea has gone on so long, it smacks of him going somewhere else .. while Spurs snap up the impressive Ndombele and City quietly snap up Rodri.

It is UNITED that need the midfield quality... desperately. And have done for years, hence our over-reliance on Pogba. But still we are dragging our heels.

Then there is Lukaku... if he goes, there has GOT to be a replacement. So 'looking at a couple of more deals'? Surely not. SURELY not.

Right now we have a replacement for Valencia but none for Fellaini or Herrera. And we have GOT to be looking at replacing Pogba and Lukaku now.

But the whole feel from the club right now is one of desperation. Signing up Andreas Perreira to 2022 smacks of standing still (at best). What are our coaching staff seeing in him that we haven't seen. He is not good enough.

Add that to the idea that McTominay is the future...well again what are they seeing? Yes he is improving but does anyone in the Premier League even below us covet him? I look at him and see Tom Cleverley.

And while I am a Mata fan, he has the finest football brain in our squad - even I agree that giving him a two year deal with an option of a third smacks of utter desperation.

While young Tielemans, the kind of player we really need, is likely to become a Leicester player for a mere £40m, we go chasing the untried and untested Longstaff from Newcastle.

So where are we as we head off to Australia to start our pre-season? In a worse position in squad terms than last pre-season. And you know what Mourinho's response was to the last pre-season.
The ultimate example of why the cafe is a joke these days..

Jesus christ

RedDevil@84

Summer has been more or less on expected lines. We were never going to sell half the team and buy new. We don't have that kind of structure to make it all happen. Besides there is too many clubs competing for limited number of talents, many of them not on the move. So a club without CL, PL challenge and in news for all the wrong reasons with a rookie manager in charge was hardly going to attract top talents. Top talents are getting money everywhere. So they need not flock to us for money.
Maybe the British talents still consider us as a club they want to be at (history), but otherwise we are not attractive as before.
So our options are limited to getting players young and hoping they become big talents. And that can happen only if the football we play is good and the youngsters feel that they will develop here. When we as fans of the club are not convinced about our football, then how will a player outside the club be convinced.

Besides, what is advertisement our existing set of players are giving outside. Pogba and his agent keep talking s**t every now and then. Lukaku is orchestrating an escape route. Martial's agent is allowed to s**t talk. There does not seem to be an authority at management or the level above. The only advert we seem to be giving is that we pay crazy salaries to average players. So they are the ones that are looking for a move to the club, not the big names.

/rant

kirk buttercup

Cant believe Ed is Twisting by the pool when we are so far away , we need the whole club together and become Brothers in Arms and stop with the Money for Nothing ... I'll get my coat

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Good post OP.

I would call the situation laughable & say we deserve this but I’d be called a ‘plastic’ & get 2 points for Quality Control.

We are a joke of a club currently & there are fans that are actively welcoming our demise with some of the things they’re pleased are happening but even Rooney gets a hard time on here so. . . Football Bloody ‘ell.

Hopefully as expectations are so low a 7th place finish will feel better than it sounds now.
Fans like....you?

I’m actually pleased this is happening. A chance for the Anti-Pogba brigade to get what they deserve.

We are not going to be a better side when our midfield still includes Matic & Fred.

Fernandes is not a better player & we won’t be using the funds from this transfer as an addition to funds we should already be spending.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think this is easily our worst state post SAF.

I think next season could be a disaster of epic proportions.

All the deadwood have been given contract extensions. The jury is out on OGS. We've barely strengthened as is and certain players may still be sold.

It just all looks bleak.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Fans like....you?
:lol: Owned.

I generally feel that our fans our far too prone to hysteria and blowing things out of proportion nowadays. We're not 'dire straits FFS.

At the same time, as an elite club that had a terrible season our response should be to make 5 signings that pave the way forward for taking us up a notch or two. As while AWB was what I feel will br a very good addition, I hope we add a lot more quality between now and September 1st. One of our signings is a young winger from the championship after all who will need time.

Pughnichi

The most worrying thing for me is OGS comments suggesting that everyone starts with a clean slate.

Madness

Should Rojo start with a clean slate? No. Just get rid.

Same can be said for Darmian, Jones, Matic, Lingard, Sanchez

I’m less bothered about Lukaku going. He’s a donkey.

Not too bothered by Pogba leaving. And why can’t we replace Pogba with Fernandez. That actually seems like good business to me. Hopefully a more consistent player albeit with a lower ceiling.

Agree it’s madness re Tielemans. We should be all over him. More so for the suggested 40m

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
So who will break it to @Ranchero that the couple of deals we are working on amount to Lukaku and Pogba leaving?

Varun

Staff
I'm looking forward to the season. Mostly because it's shit without football. We've signed Wan-Bissaka.

Hopefully we'll get top four and be able to play in the CL

I can see us really climbing the table next season

:lol:

Joseunited

Cool, another thread about how rubbish we are as a football club.
Can we get some panic emoji's mods?That is the state of the forum nowadays after all.

kerryman

We still have 90% of the players we had last season. The same players who didn't give a damn. Why should they be any different in the new season. They were happy enough to lie down and lose to Cardiff in the final game at OT ffs. What can Ole say to them that he hasn't said before? Without a massive clearout I'm afraid we're doomed for many seasons to come.
Exactly this..! We were garbage for more than three quarters of last season. What makes people think we'll suddenly turn it around with mostly the same players? Apart from that purple patch of 9 games when Ole took charge we were terrible for the rest of the season picking up only 41 points out of 87 over the other 29 games. Even during that 9 game spell we played poorly but scraped some wins. How is one pre-season with Ole going to dramatically turn around that kind of form?
We needed a massive clearout and some top quality additions. Look how ruthless City were when Pep took over. That's how we need to operate otherwise it going to be several more seasons of mediocrity. I'm a huge fan but am not blind to the issues facing the club. Can't believe how blind or naive some people are thinking we are a shoo-in for top 4. Leicester have several players that would get into our starting eleven. We're a mess at the moment with our best players wanting out or only thinking of staying if we offer them insane wages. I'll be amazed if we are anywhere near top 4 at the end of the season. I think there will be 5 or 6 teams (Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, Wolves, Leicester, Everton) battling for 4th place and they'll be a long, long way behind the top 2.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The problem is I have 0 faith in our management. They are clueless and we will move even further away from top 4. If they were serious, they would have bought more players already (like Madrid) to get quality in as quick as possible

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
What are you expecting? We don't have CL football and We still have no DoF.

In fact it surprised me how We managed to get James and Bissaka, You'd think Arsenal would get them first looking at how We operate these days. I'm not expecting anything big to happen this transfer window and next season. In my opinion it should be a transformation from old /average players that have been stinking up the place for years to younger, exciting potentials with bright future to look forward to.

I'm just very disappointed with Jones renewal. That's all. And I do hope We sign more exciting young potentials. Feck signing star players, it didn't work for 6 years and something needs to change now.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
We did not get a DoF or the equivalent. What made you think our recruitment will improve? This is the worst pulling power we ever had, and it's going to only get worse, especially since we don't have a big name manager as well and our big name players are leaving or have left.

If you think this has a happy ending, then you're not paying attention.

Hawks2008

Good post. These cnuts had their clean slate when he was appointed, and now he has seen how bad they are and done nothing! I knew he wouldn't get rid of his mates Jonah and Youngy but why is Rojo, Mata, Darmian, Pereira still here? Why are we hell bent on getting rid of every decent player we have like Pogba, Herrera, Lukaku, De Gea but will keep the dross and sign guys like James and Longstaff who might be okay squad options for the coming season? We're fecked.

Last edited:

Jericholyte2

The most worrying thing for me is OGS comments suggesting that everyone starts with a clean slate.

Madness

Should Rojo start with a clean slate? No. Just get rid.

Same can be said for Darmian, Jones, Matic, Lingard, Sanchez

I’m less bothered about Lukaku going. He’s a donkey.

Not too bothered by Pogba leaving. And why can’t we replace Pogba with Fernandez. That actually seems like good business to me. Hopefully a more consistent player albeit with a lower ceiling.

Agree it’s madness re Tielemans. We should be all over him. More so for the suggested 40m
Absolutely agree with this bit! He said the exact same thing in December, then May comes along and he’s the big man wielding the axe, “I’m going to be a success here but some won’t be here for the ride.”

Now at the moment that looks like he was simply referring to Herrera!

UpWithRivers

Totally agree....I was at least hoping we would sort out the dressing room unrest. If we could at have a happy camp that actually works hard on the pitch and doesn't down tools at the first sign of trouble that would be nice. Doesn't look like it though. Unless Pogba was the only culprit.
If we get outfought and out run and outplayed by Norwich, Sheff Utd and Villa etc Im going to be pissed.