Ivan Perisic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skills

Snitch
United should be aiming for players like Kroos, Neymar and Ronaldo. We need to be getting the younger versions. City are with Sane, Jesus and Silva. If we want to win the Champions League next season and in coming years, we must do the same. Signing Keane and Perisic would be a significant step in the wrong direction, and would signal to me that the Glazers are cost cutting again. It would take us back to the years when we were buying Ashley Young while City were buying Aguero and Yaya Toure.
40 fecking million on a 28 year old, who we will probably have to replace in a couple of years even in the best case scenario is cost cutting?

izec

It is obviously not the Glazers fault, but we dont have a mid to long term plan. Every manager we get gets the funds and buys the players he wants. It doesnt help going from van Gaal to Mourinho. Next manager will want to get rid of a lot of players again to buy his players.

VanGaalyTime

40 fecking million on a 28 year old, who we will probably have to replace in a couple of years even in the best case scenario is cost cutting?
Yes. Smaller agent fee. Smaller wages. Less cost over the term of the contract. Why do you think City got Jesus, Sane and Silva? They paid the right people. We cannot go back to the dark days of cost cutting.

ChaddyP

I was against this signing. After reading to those with good reasoning i have decided that this could be a very good signing for us. Looks made for the EPL and is different to the options we have in attack. If he is a major target for Jose I hope we get him

Skills

Snitch
Yes. Smaller agent fee. Smaller wages. Less cost over the term of the contract. Why do you think City got Jesus, Sane and Silva? They paid the right people. We cannot go back to the dark days of cost cutting.
Bollocks is he going to be on a small wages. This will be the biggest contract of his career at 28, he'll be earning more than all of Sane, Jesus or probably Silva too.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I was against this signing. After reading to those with good reasoning i have decided that this could be a very good signing for us. Looks made for the EPL and is different to the options we have in attack. If he is a major target for Jose I hope we get him
You were right the first time.

AXVnee7

Perisic is coming because Jose is not happy with the players he's got. If we bring in Griezmann, Perisic and possibly a striker, then Mata, Lingard and Martial won't all be here next season. I'm assuming he'll give Mkhitaryan another chance.
I'd be surprised if we let Martial and Lingard go. I'm sure Tony would get another chance, and Lingard has just signed a contract. I know that often doesn't mean much but he's had a significant boost to his wages which makes it much more difficult should we want to offload him. Mata although can be upgraded upon, had proven useful. I could see him going out of the three.

cheeky_backheel

Mourinho has moaned non stop for 6 months about fatigue, if we do well in the cups next season it will be the same, so perhaps he's garnered a greater appreciation for rotatation.
Nah - that was Mourinho being Mourinho and trying to deflect pressure from his players.

He is not new to the EPL and rarely rotated his players at Chelsea e.g. in 2014, Chelsea played a total of 54 games of which 3 were meaningless games after winning the league and 5 were cup games against lower league opposition, still Hazard played 49, Ivanovic 49, Matic 46, Fabregas 45 and Cahill 45. Even Oscar with hi concussion problems still played 35.

It was same thing at Madrid. Once Mourinho settles his starting 11, he plays them every game possible to build them into a finer tuned unit. That is why Zlatan, at his old age, played almost every game till he got injured. Mourinho only makes changes when he is forced to or not satisfied with the player in the current spot. Its like what he did with Rashford and Martial as they were initially playing 50/50 but once Rashford pulled ahead, Martial was pseudo permanently on the bench.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
But then what happens to our £36m Martial? Probably even more now that he's a met a couple of the clauses. Either way there's going to be competition if Perisic plays on the left as suggested.
Competition is what we want surely to get Martial back on track?

el3mel

So the league winners are after him not just us ? Maybe he's not that bad after all ? :D

Also they said in the article we targeted him but have another targets.

R'hllor

Wont share my opinion about Perisic,nor about the money required to get him. If he is on Jose`s list and its among those first 4 main targets then we must get him. It wouldnt be good that JM gets pissed on Ed,that could be start of bad relations between those two and we all know that JM could get a bit moody if he doesnt get players he wants.

AXVnee7

Competition is what we want surely to get Martial back on track?
Correct. Assuming Perisic plays on the left, then him and Martial will both be battling it out. Jose is not going to constantly alternate between the two so one will cement the spot, whilst the other expensive signing will drop until the circumstances change. Unless Jose plans to sell Martial in which case it's different.

Devil may care

Nah - that was Mourinho being Mourinho and trying to deflect pressure from his players.

He is not new to the EPL and rarely rotated his players at Chelsea e.g. in 2014, Chelsea played a total of 54 games of which 3 were meaningless games after winning the league and 5 were cup games against lower league opposition, still Hazard played 49, Ivanovic 49, Matic 46, Fabregas 45 and Cahill 45. Even Oscar with hi concussion problems still played 35.

It was same thing at Madrid. Once Mourinho settles his starting 11, he plays them every game possible to build them into a finer tuned unit. That is why Zlatan, at his old age, played almost every game till he got injured. Mourinho only makes changes when he is forced to or not satisfied with the player in the current spot. Its like what he did with Rashford and Martial as they were initially playing 50/50 but once Rashford pulled ahead, Martial was pseudo permanently on the bench.
Maybe he's wised up after this season, he ran that Chelsea team into the ground and they crumbled, Pogba kept picking up little muscle problems because Jose never rested him, similar with Bailly.

Bojan11

So the league winners are after him not just us ? Maybe he's not that bad after all ? :D

Don't worry when Chelsea get him then the muppets who didn't want him will do a big u turn and blame the club again for letting Chelsea get him.

Don't know why people getting worked up over Silva. Pretty obvious if we wanted him then we would have got him. We have a Portuguese manager and Jorge Mendez is his agent, who happens to be one of our favourite agents and our managers agent. So if we desperately wanted him then we would have got him.

el3mel

Don't worry when Chelsea get him then the muppets who didn't want him will do a big u turn and blame the club again for letting Chelsea get him.

Don't know why people getting worked up over Silva. Pretty obvious if we wanted him then we would have got him. We have a Portuguese manager and Jorge Mendez is his agent, who happens to be one of our favourite agents and our managers agent. So if we desperately wanted him then we would have got him.
Overreaction is like life here. It's going to be a long summer if people here are going to do the same on each transfer.

I think by this rate, by the end of transfers people here will already crown City winners while making us relegating before starting one match in the league.

Devil may care

I'm not looking to get into the Perisic thing with you again but the latter part is simply not true, Bernardo Silva is his own person, now I personally don't think we were in for him, but if we were I wouldn't be remotely shocked that he picked City over us because the type of player he is he must know he's far more suited to Guardiola's idea of football than Jose's.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Hazard going to Madrid then?
Could be, but not sure Perisic would be a replacement for him as such - from what I've read here he seems more pacey and strong, perhaps the type of player who might play as a wing-back in Conte's system. Hazard's more creative, reliant on flair etc I'd say. I'd imagine if Chelsea do want him though that'll only push the price up more.

Devil may care

Didn't think about the possibility of that. Maybe he wants him as LWB ? but this will bench Alonso, or he'll play him on the other side instead of Moses ?

Lot's to think about.
He's two footed so could cover/compete with both wingbacks.

el3mel

He's two footed so could cover/compete with both wingbacks.
So if Conte wanted him, I'll assume he wants him to replace Moses. Will do all Moses did and much better, also he's taller than Moses so opponents can't depend on playing crosses towards his side, as they did benefiting from the fact Moses is short.

Cliche Guevara

Was it maybe the case that he didn't trust the back-ups? That seems to be a thing for him.
It looks like he's happy to work with a bigger squad now. He's currently playing Rashford, Mata, Lingard, Fellaini and Micky and perhaps thinks Martial is worth more work. Anyone new he brings in he's also likely to have confidence in.
If he's looking to rotate and knows he can bring in options who have already won him a Euro final, maybe he'll be more inclined to use them.
Did he have any decent options at previous clubs, who he trusted, but regularly overlooked?
I get the impression that if everyone he has wants to stay he'll be happy to keep them.
I don't think we need to sell to balance the books, at any rate.

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I wouldn't be against this but not for that price. I know it's not my own money but 50mil is ludicrous. He'd be a decent squad player but for that money the fans would expect more and be on his back from day 1.

Bojan11

I'm not looking to get into the Perisic thing with you again but the latter part is simply not true, Bernardo Silva is his own person, now I personally don't think we were in for him, but if we were I wouldn't be remotely shocked that he picked City over us because the type of player he is he must know he's far more suited to Guardiola's idea of football than Jose's.
Latter part isn't true but yet it's alright for you to make bollocks up?

Not sure also what it means. Jose has coached some of the best players in the world and he has gotten the best out of them most of the time. He hasn't just coached workhorses you know. If we really wanted Silva, we would have got him.

AXVnee7

Not sure also what it means. Jose has coached some of the best players in the world and he has gotten the best out of them most of the time. He hasn't just coached workhorses you know. If we really wanted Silva, we would have got him.
That's a big assumption. Agent links aside, the guy isn't property but someone with his own preferences. You cannot assert that any more that I can assume he prefers to play for Pep and Man City than Utd.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks

He is not bad for certain but also Inter are probably now putting stories out to get more money.

NoPace

I like him, reminds me of Giggs in a way.

50m is obviously a crazy amount but we shall see.

A bit of natural width though would be nice!
Blasphemy. He doesn't have Giggs' quickness or creativity. He's an Ashley Young or Valencia level player.

If Perisic was 23 or 24 then I could see making the signing and hoping that he hits his prime under Mourinho and fits his system well, but at 28 this is a bizarre signing that would be a waste of 50M. He'll lose a yard of pace in 2 years anyways.

We could sign literally any Bundesliga player not at Dortmund or Bayern or any La Liga player not at Real, Barca or Atletico, any Ligue 1 player not at PSG or Monaco. You're telling me there isn't one winger better than Perisic at any of those teams?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Blasphemy. He doesn't have Giggs' quickness or creativity. He's an Ashley Young or Valencia level player.

If Perisic was 23 or 24 then I could see making the signing and hoping that he hits his prime under Mourinho and fits his system well, but at 28 this is a bizarre signing that would be a waste of 50M. He'll lose a yard of pace in 2 years anyways.

We could sign literally any Bundesliga player not at Dortmund or Bayern or any La Liga player not at Real, Barca or Atletico, any Ligue 1 player not at PSG or Monaco. You're telling me there isn't one winger better than Perisic at any of those teams?
Perisic is pretty quick? I'm not saying he would be my choice but if it's true Jose obviously has his reasons. Let's just see how it plays out.

el3mel

He is not bad for certain but also Inter are probably now putting stories out to get more money.
Putting stories out through English journalism ?

The obvious thing is that they want money, and they recognized that Perisic is the most realistic target they can do without and use him to get money, so they're pressing to get at least +46m. We only seem to want to pay 36m, but don't what Chelsea will offer.

I think he'll leave eventually for 35-36m as they really want to sell him to get money and their resistance will fall if us and Chelsea surrendered from the transfer. They're not in strong position as it seems, us ( and Chelsea ) are. We can search for other targets if they asked for ridiculous price, but they're the ones who want to sell him.

Devil may care

So if Conte wanted him, I'll assume he wants him to replace Moses. Will do all Moses did and much better, also he's taller than Moses so opponents can't depend on playing crosses towards his side, as they did benefiting from the fact Moses is short.
I think rather than out and out replace it would be more a case of having an option to compete with both sides as they ahve no depth for their wingbacks.

The only one to make bollocks up has been you and you were still too dickish to admit to it. However Bernardo isn't a Jose type of player, he had problems with Robben, Ronaldo and Hazard due to what he wants from attackers, it's why he loves guys like Willian. Silva is a skillful player that thrives off an attacking style of football and quick interchanges of passing, Jose prefers winger you can play it directly to and they will run it down the channel, it's the same reason that Lukaku would be utterly useless to Guardiola and Klopp but suited to Jose and Conte, it's not an isult mister sensitive, it's simply looking at how differnet managers view and approach the game.

Bojan11

I think rather than out and out replace it would be more a case of having an option to compete with both sides as they ahve no depth for their wingbacks.

The only one to make bollocks up has been you and you were still too dickish to admit to it. However Bernardo isn't a Jose type of player, he had problems with Robben, Ronaldo and Hazard due to what he wants from attackers, it's why he loves guys like Willian. Silva is a skillful player that thrives off an attacking style of football and quick interchanges of passing, Jose prefers winger you can play it directly to and they will run it down the channel, it's the same reason that Lukaku would be utterly useless to Guardiola and Klopp but suited to Jose and Conte, it's not an isult mister sensitive, it's simply looking at how differnet managers view and approach the game.
Funny that because Hazard had his best season under Jose. Three of Ronaldos best goalscoring seasons came under Mourinho.

He didn't have any issues with Robben. Just Robben was made from glass and he was refusing to sign a new contract. So do carry on talking bollocks and having meltdowns in May.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
We could just be put in there to raise the price for Chelsea or push their hand. Agent leaks if you will. :)

NoPace

He looks quite good from the clips. But more the kind you want as the perfect backup for a either wing at a top club rather than starter. His quality on the ball appears to be quite good and his physicality should go well with the PL. Is he a very good passer or a really good finisher? Because most of what I see in the final third based on my extension YouTube research is hit and miss. Like he's constantly drilling the ball towards goal. Doesn't seem to have that class in the final third that top players like Sanchez have which is probably why he's not made it right to the top. Is that a fair assessment? Like I said, looks a really good backup to have. If he's going to be first choice hopefully I'm wrong on my ameteur and lazy analysis of his game.
No, you're right. He gives the ball away a lot. Doesn't have the incredibly quick feet of a shorter winger like Sanchez or Hazard who can buy time for himself with his dribbling, and there's a reason he never plays centrally.

Basically, he's better than Lingard but not as good as Mata or Mkhitaryan right now and he's 28 and has played just under 400 games in his professional career (same age and about 20 more games than Ashley Young was in 2015, for a comparison of a winger who lost a yard of pace) so more likely than not to start slowing down very soon.

I do think he'd be a decent fit under Mourinho in that he's said to work hard and defend well (never stood out to me in that sense but that's above average for a winger since they're generally the worst defensive players on a pitch) and he is a very good finisher, but there's a reason it didn't happen for him at Dortmund. He's not a winger who's going to beat people and make things happen, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.