Ivan Perisic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inter Yer Nan

I don't really know much about him. Seen him a few teams and remember seeing him play very well for Croatia. I'll trust Jose's judgement. I'd be interested to see where he fits in. I would assume we are not going to 5 at the back so looks like less minutes for Martial unless we aren't getting a #9.

cheeky_backheel

With Perisic and Griezmann, we'll need another striker no doubt, with a midfielder and a center back. That's means 5 signings to make a good formation. Say the new CB was Keane.

De Gea
Valencia - Bailly - Keane - Darmian
Herrera / new DMF - Pogba
Griezmann - Mikhi - Perisic
New CF​

We can sacrifice the CMF and keep with our choices if we get short on money, but I don't prefer this.

In this formation Perisic will be always on the left flank providing width while Griezmann will be cutting inside to join Mikhi in the midfield while leaving Valencia space to rush forward.
and both Rashford and Martial end up on the bench?

The best I can make of this rumor is that Perisic is probably the final backup choice to Griezmann (or some other target), which is probably why we havent made an official bid.

SirMattBugsby

I've mainly watched him in internationals, such as last summer when I saw all of the Checz games. I saw absolutely nothing at all to suggest he's at a level where he'll elevate a top 6 team further.

As a squad player and a rotation option I wouldn't particularly mind, but anything more than £20 would be absolutely insane for a player at that level, with little room for improvement. See the post from @Kush above for more on why.
Every club overbids while selling to us, simply because everyone knows we have the money. Within limits of reason (35 mil plus add-ons imo in this case), it shouldn't be a problem. I know Inter have quoted his price at 50 mil but it's still early days in negotiations.

Don't get hung up on the transfer fee. We have 99 problems with our club but money ain't one.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I like him, reminds me of Giggs in a way.

50m is obviously a crazy amount but we shall see.

A bit of natural width though would be nice!

el3mel

and both Rashford and Martial end up on the bench?

The best I can make of this rumor is that Perisic is probably the final backup choice to Griezmann (or some other target), which is probably why we havent made an official bid.
What's the problem in this ? We're not forced to play them anyway. It's not a charity.

There will be lots of matches through the season they can play in it. We won't play the same 11 players all the 50-60 matches.

cheeky_backheel

Every club overbids while selling to us, simply because everyone knows we have the money. Within limits of reason (35 mil plus add-ons imo in this case), it shouldn't be a problem. I know Inter have quoted his price at 50 mil but it's still early days in negotiations.

Don't get hung up on the transfer fee. We have 99 problems with our club but money ain't one.
Money will be a problem if we start offering 35m for players like Perisic.

Perisic is worth like 20m max and plus United premium should be 25m max.

Beaucoup

We have zero attacking threat down the left, so this could be a good move and negates the need to spend money on an attacking left back.

Doubt the figures being quoted are correct, we will have to wait and see.

cheeky_backheel

What's the problem in this ? We're not forced to play them anyway. It's not a charity.

There will be lots of matches through the season they can play in it. We won't play the same 11 players all the 50-60 matches.
It is a problem and obvious waste if you stunt the development of one of your best prospect simply to play a 28yr old mediocre player.

This is probably the best that Perisic will ever be and he still not setting serie A on fire (and that is a much slower league). He should in no way be starting ahead of Rashford in any squad.

VanGaalyTime

United should be aiming for players like Kroos, Neymar and Ronaldo. We need to be getting the younger versions. City are with Sane, Jesus and Silva. If we want to win the Champions League next season and in coming years, we must do the same. Signing Keane and Perisic would be a significant step in the wrong direction, and would signal to me that the Glazers are cost cutting again. It would take us back to the years when we were buying Ashley Young while City were buying Aguero and Yaya Toure.

el3mel

It is a problem and obvious waste if you stunt the development of one of your best prospect simply to play a 28yr old mediocre player.

This is probably the best that Perisic will ever be and he still not setting serie A on fire (and that is a much slower league). He should in no way be starting ahead of Rashford in any squad.
Stunt the development of what ? They'll still play lots of matches both from the bench or starters we won't definitely not play the same 11 all the season. we have 4 competitions to play on next season. They'll get load of matches.

Manchester United is by no means a charity forced to give young players starting games and tweak its formation to just suit them. I only think about the team, not the players.

If Jose going to play 4-2-3-1 then I don't see any success for Martial on the left flank. He's not the winger to provide any width but he likes to cut inside to shot or make a cross, not to stick on the left flank all the time as Jose wants. When he tried to make him stick on the left flank Martial only did one thing and it's to try to beat the next defender just to lose the ball. This isn't going to work for Jose so he'll try to bring a LW that provides width whatever it's Perisic or anyone else.

Rashford will be the direct sub of the new striker and he'll get many, many chances in the CF and on the flanks. Jose trusts him already I have no worries regarding him.

fallengt

Mourinho loves hard worker but We seriously need "Robben" type for our squad not Damien Duff.

And quoting price is ridiculous, he worth 27m in pound max. Inter can feck off, they think they can double/triple the price just because it's United.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
As I've said, I find it very hard to believe Perisic was high up on his list. This reeks of a backup signing.

Note that all these links started 2 months - which is when Mourinho said he handed his list to Woodward.

Makes no sense that Perisic would be a backup option to Silva.

Perisic:
  • plays on left side
  • over 6 foot
  • out-and-out winger
Silva:
  • plays on right side
  • 5 foot 6
  • more of a playmaker
Silva is a stereotypical Guardiola signing, Perisic is a stereotypical Mourinho signing. There was nothing that seriously linked us to Silva. Perisic will be Mourinho's Plan A.

I don't think Martial will be ok to back Perisic.
Martial is currently Lingard's backup. I imagine when signing is done, Lingard will be Perisic's back up and Martial can be used as another option.

Exactly. He also brings different characteristics to the table, which is good. People are moaning about the age, but that's the biggest indicator that he's there to provide cover for a developing Martial, not to replace him.
You don't pay £40m for cover. He'll be a starter and Martial will be his cover.

So we've been negotiating with Inter for a month and Mourinho went to Croatia in March yet according to some this is a panic buy in response to Bernardo Silva joining City.
It's people trying to deflect any blame away from Mourinho to Woodward, as they also expect him to be shit.
Yeah, it is ridiculous.

There's simply no way Manchester United would allow City to buy Bernardo Silva only to go after this guy. Given they turned down the chance to sign Silva, they obviously have much grander plans than signing Ivan fecking Perisic.
Silva and Perisic aren't similar players and there was nothing solid that indicated we were in for Silva.

SirMattBugsby

Money will be a problem if we start offering 35m for players like Perisic.

Perisic is worth like 20m max and plus United premium should be 25m max.
I don't think you have much idea of United as a brand. Money is the one and only area where we still compete with Real and Barca, in fact outdo them.

Rebuilding the squad is a much more pressing concern. If Mourinho wants a specific player and we have to part with some extra cash, so be it. I can understand you not liking Perisic for the player he is, but rejecting him because he costs more than his base price is not sensible in our situation, especially if Mourinho is certain the player will be a valuable addition.

In short, money is a secondary matter. Consider it an investment more than expenditure.

Damien

Staff
Whatever people think of Perisic, I'd like to see us sign Mourinho's first choice targets rather than Plan D or E just because they are trendier.

I'd rather see us sort out the leftback situation though. Doubt a new player on our left wing will perform great when the leftback doesn't support them.

cheeky_backheel

Stunt the development of what ? They'll still play lots of matches both from the bench or starters we won't definitely not play the same 11 all the season. we have 4 competitions to play on next season. They'll get load of matches.

Manchester United is by no means a charity forced to give young players starting games and tweak its formation to just suit them. I only think about the team, not the players.

If Jose going to play 4-2-3-1 then I don't see any success for Martial on the left flank. He's not the winger to provide any width but he likes to cut inside to shot or make a cross, not to stick on the left flank all the time as Jose wants. When he tried to make him stick on the left flank Martial only did one thing and it's to try to beat the next defender just to lose the ball. This isn't going to work for Jose so he'll try to bring a LW that provides width whatever it's Perisic or anyone else.

Rashford will be the direct sub of the new striker and he'll get many, many chances in the CF and on the flanks. Jose trusts him already I have no worries regarding him.
Then you dont know Mourinho.

Mourinho plays a very tight rotation using his starting 11 in almost every game unless they are injured or suspended. He believes players need to get use to playing 2x a week.

If you are not in the starting 11, you will have limited minutes and a player at the age of Rashford needs consistent starting minutes to continue his development. But you want to sacrifice the development of Rashford for Perisic?

Skills

Snitch
Whatever people think of Perisic, I'd like to see us sign Mourinho's first choice targets rather than Plan D or E just because they are trendier.

I'd rather see us sort out the leftback situation though. Doubt a new player on our left wing will perform great when the leftback doesn't support them.
I actually think it's going to be a poor signing, but I'd let Mourinho get on with it. I think he's here for the short term anyway, so if he thinks that's the way to win so be it.

But there should close to zero excuses next season if he doesn't deliver. When you're signing a 28 year old for that kind of money, you need to start delivering immediately.

cheeky_backheel

I don't think you have much idea of United as a brand. Money is the one and only area where we still compete with Real and Barca, in fact outdo them.

Rebuilding the squad is a much more pressing concern. If Mourinho wants a specific player and we have to part with some extra cash, so be it. I can understand you not liking Perisic for the player he is, but rejecting him because he costs more than his base price is not sensible in our situation, especially if Mourinho is certain the player will be a valuable addition.

In short, money is a secondary matter. Consider it an investment more than expenditure.
That brand was built on success on the pitch and marketability off it. I doubt Perisic will bring the former and I am sure he definitely wont bring the latter.

We buy players like Pogba and Griezmann for huge fees cos they can produce both on and off the field. Perisc is a 20m player and we shouldnt be paying anything more than that for him.

SirMattBugsby

You don't pay £40m for cover. He'll be a starter and Martial will be his cover.
Ha! That must be the only post in this thread where I didn't write "competition and cover."

But yes, I strongly feel he and Martial would have serious competition for the starting spot, especially if Martial rises to the challenge and ups his game. I think we are potentially killing two birds with one stone here: getting a starter and bringing the best out of a promising player.

el3mel

Mourinho plays a very tight rotation using his starting 11 in almost every game unless they are injured or suspended. He believes players need to get use to playing 2x a week.

If you are not in the starting 11, you will have limited minutes and a player at the age of Rashford needs consistent starting minutes to continue his development. But you want to sacrifice the development of Rashford for Perisic?
If we're going to play on 4 competitions, with Martial direct sub on the left and Rashford direct sub on the CF, they'll get chances whether Jose likes rotation or not. No chance the 11 players will play the 50-60 matches in the whole season. They'll both have chances, either from bench or starting. Don't even forget the injury crisis that happens here every season anyway.

And again this will revert me to a previous statement I said, why are we worrying too much about players future rather than worrying about the team ? My only concern is the team to win. I don't like overthinking about who will play where and when. In United there's not supposed to be a given starting position to any player, whatever a young talent or not.

Actually if we think about it, it's better for Rashford and Martial to compete on their starting position rather then being given a place in the starting line on a golden plate without any hard work.

Damien

Staff
I actually think it's going to be a poor signing, but I'd let Mourinho get on with it. I think he's here for the short term anyway, so if he thinks that's the way to win so be it.

But there should close to zero excuses next season if he doesn't deliver. When you're signing a 28 year old for that kind of money, you need to start delivering immediately.
Thatis how I see it too. Rather see Mourinho sign his first choice options so people can't make excuses if things don't go well for whatever reason.

Sterling Archer

[Irrelevant point] actually cost €23 million, which comes about at £19 million. Inter have rejected our €35 million offer and want €60 million which would be £52.5 million right now. He is 28, never been more than a solid player. There is little to no resale value, Mourinho has bought plenty of flops but none of them cost as much as what Perisic would cost and they are all younger players who were eventually sold for minimal loss (and in many cases profit). If Perisic turns out to be a dud, how much do you think we can get out of him?

Contrary to what believe we don't have a bottomless pit of cash, we operate within a finite budget. Inter are asking absurd sum of money for a player they need to sell to meet FFP requirements. How much do you think English clubs would want for Dier and Keane? Both are much younger than Perisic, English, on a long term contract and their respective clubs don't need the money at all.

Before you know it, we've blown in excess of £120 million on Dier, Keane and Perisic. Griezmann isn't going to cost a penny less than his release clause at £86 million. That's £200 million worth of players already bought and we still have two glaring holes in the squad in form of a Striker and a Left Back. We've been extremely careless with the money ever since SAF retired, we need to be getting more bang for buck because squad could use an overhaul. Spending £50 million on likes of Perisic isn't going to help that.
I think you're taking my hyperbole about not caring if he cost 100 mil too literally. My attitude with theses transfers is, to reiterate, the following:

we have a financial team to evaluate the feasibility and aren't going to bankrupt ourselves
So what I expect is, if Woodward doesn't think the price is right we won't buy!

We all can never really be 100% sure with transfers. ADM was exceptional and cost a lot and we didn't exactly make a profit selling him.

I sincerely believe half the posts on this forum jumping on player price and age stem from playing too much of some football sim or another. This fear that as soon as a player turns 28 he is useless goods and his 'stats' will all start dropping. And then this resale idea as if we are club that thrives on selling players on for more than we buy them. It's very short sighted and one dimensional thought.

Devil may care

Thatis how I see it too. Rather see Mourinho sign his first choice options so people can't make excuses if things don't go well for whatever reason.
Problem with that is just like with LvG we'd be left with a lot of excess rubbish to try and offload at a loss.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He looks quite good from the clips. But more the kind you want as the perfect backup for a either wing at a top club rather than starter. His quality on the ball appears to be quite good and his physicality should go well with the PL. Is he a very good passer or a really good finisher? Because most of what I see in the final third based on my extension YouTube research is hit and miss. Like he's constantly drilling the ball towards goal. Doesn't seem to have that class in the final third that top players like Sanchez have which is probably why he's not made it right to the top. Is that a fair assessment? Like I said, looks a really good backup to have. If he's going to be first choice hopefully I'm wrong on my ameteur and lazy analysis of his game.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Aye, that's fair. We've been quite patient with the likes of Miki this season, but if we really do want to improve then our signings this summer will be expected to fit in immediately, I'd imagine...or if they don't do that, adapt fairly quickly.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He looks quite good from the clips. But more the kind you want as the perfect backup for a either wing at a top club rather than starter. His quality on the ball appears to be quite good and his physicality should go well with the PL. Is he a very good passer or a really good finisher? Because most of what I see in the final third based on my extension YouTube research is hit and miss. Like he's constantly drilling the ball towards goal. Doesn't seem to have that class in the final third that top players like Sanchez have which is probably why he's not made it right to the top. Is that a fair assessment? Like I said, looks a really good backup to have. If he's going to be first choice hopefully I'm wrong on my ameteur and lazy analysis of his game.
From looking at his record over the past couple of seasons at Inter, his overall tally isn't bad as such; tends to be around a one in four type player for goals, so perhaps fairly similar to Mata in that regard.

DeOddi

If it´s him and Griezmann in then i´m not sure we´ll be much better going forward next season (considering we´ll loose Ibrahimovic´s goals and hold-up play). The other attackers (especially Rashford, Martial and Mkhitaryan) would have to improve considerably for us to compete for the title. And from experience these kind of situations never seem to turn out well for us in the last few years.

Silverman

If it´s him and Griezmann in then i´m not sure we´ll be much better going forward next season (considering we´ll loose Ibrahimovic´s goals and hold-up play). The other attackers (especially Rashford, Martial and Mkhitaryan) would have to improve considerably for us to compete for the title. And from experience these kind of situations never seem to turn out well for us in the last few years.
I think Martial could be one to watch next year and I expect Rashford to keep improving.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Yep, when he was at his most successful for Chelsea he played pretty much the same XI every game. Even the subs were predictable with Ramires and Obi Mikel typically coming on later in games to close them out 1-0 or 2-0.

Will Absolute

I like the idea of this. Competition for Martial on our left side. Martial has had a poor season, needs a kick up the arse and we need competition in this area of the pitch. From the very little I have seen it looks like a like for like for Martial.
With so many first choice positions to be expensively filled, we're not paying £40M to provide competition for Martial.

AXVnee7

With so many first choice positions to be expensively filled, we're not paying £40M to provide competition for Martial.
But then what happens to our £36m Martial? Probably even more now that he's a met a couple of the clauses. Either way there's going to be competition if Perisic plays on the left as suggested.

Devil may care

Yep, when he was at his most successful for Chelsea he played pretty much the same XI every game. Even the subs were predictable with Ramires and Obi Mikel typically coming on later in games to close them out 1-0 or 2-0.
Mourinho has moaned non stop for 6 months about fatigue, if we do well in the cups next season it will be the same, so perhaps he's garnered a greater appreciation for rotatation.

Jericholyte2

I think this may be another James Rodrigues kinda deal. But if it does go through, does the fee really matter? We are in the day and age where a 16yr old has cost 40m. United will NEVER get value for money in the transfer market now simply because of the money that has already been thrown around. And also, if Mourinho did want him, how far would the excuse of, "They wanted 5 / 7 / 10m more than our first offer was" would travel?

AXVnee7

Regarding this signing, well it's certainly not glamorous by any stretch. I don't know much about him in all fairness, and he's not someone I'd have identified to bring into our team in terms of attacking positions. But then again I wouldn't have identified Bailly either last season for a new CB. More interestingly however, is that Chelsea are also interested. Even if you think our club is run by a bunch of village idiots, seeing that another PL team are also pursuing this guy suggests he might just have something useful to bring the Premier League no? Not just any PL team either - Conte knows the Italian league very well, and he will be well aware of what Perisic can do but also his limits. I just think that if both Mourinho and Conte are in for this player, then clearly he has good qualities.

The only real issue for me is his age. We already signed a midfielder 29 or so in Henrikh, and I'd rather we invested in a youngster. However I can understand that we cannot afford to compromise too much and need attacking quality now.

Bojan11

United should be aiming for players like Kroos, Neymar and Ronaldo. We need to be getting the younger versions. City are with Sane, Jesus and Silva. If we want to win the Champions League next season and in coming years, we must do the same. Signing Keane and Perisic would be a significant step in the wrong direction, and would signal to me that the Glazers are cost cutting again. It would take us back to the years when we were buying Ashley Young while City were buying Aguero and Yaya Toure.
Oh noes blame the Glazers after they shelled out a record fee for a player last window and we have spent £400m plus since Fergie left.

Will Absolute

But then what happens to our £36m Martial? Probably even more now that he's a met a couple of the clauses. Either way there's going to be competition if Perisic plays on the left as suggested.
Perisic is coming because Jose is not happy with the players he's got. If we bring in Griezmann, Perisic and possibly a striker, then Mata, Lingard and Martial won't all be here next season. I'm assuming he'll give Mkhitaryan another chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.