Ivan Perisic

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanGaalyTime

Valencia was a blessing in disguise.;)
Completely agree. My point was that Valencia is about 10% the player Cristiano was, particularly at right wing. That Valencia became a world class right back is more to do with the guy's work ethic and commitment. We cannot allow for any further failures in the market. City and Chelsea have untold billions behind them and are playing it VERY smart. We need to do the same. I'm sorry, I think Ivan Perisic is a very good player, but he's not going to help Manchester United win the Champions League next year, and that's the standard to which we should aspire.

Decomposing In Paris

Looking at Perisic as an individual player is underwhelming.

Where I think his value is may be creating synergy with our existing set up.

He seems to have good defensive stats for a winger, as we have seen Mourinho likes that in a winger. In a pinch, I reckon he could play wing back and even left back and become like our Valencia on the left. That's some tactical flexibility.

He looks like a player that can both cut in and stay wide. This adds a different dimension to our left wing especially when Martial, Rashford and Young are predictable because the cut in to their strong foot most of the time. With Perisic, we gain an additional dimension to our wing play:

Also, he looks like a player that puts in a shift, has above average technical, good dribbling at pace and is strong. May not be outstanding in any one area but overall a good combination of traits.

He isn't a flair player that most fans like. But I think he will be effective. Honestly effectiveness is what we need. We created many chances this year but were pretty impotent at finishing them.

I imagine it would be like having two Valencias on the wings, except Perisic is two-footed.

His age also means that we can concurrently develop some youngsters.

Would welcome his addition to the overall scheme of things.

Agree with this. We need to look at how players are going to fit rather than just discussing their individual merits.

Perisic makes a lot of sense. He's not who I'd buy (and it seems like a lot of money), but I can see how he could contribute greatly. Mourinho wants a team of "warriors", and we really could do with someone who can blast past a fullback and put in a decent cross.

VanGaalyTime

I don't mind this signing but his worth shouldn't be more than 30mil euros. He would be a very good addition to the squad and seems to contribute both defensively and offensively. I mean if Lingard can impress JM, Perisic is a obvious upgrade in every skill department.
Ok, I can agree on this. He would be a strong squad addition IF he's replacing Lingard. My concern is that Lingard just got a $120,000 a week contract (And with Bernardo Silva on the same at CITY!). We can't play with two underwhelming attacking players in the team.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Dont get the Young, Valencia comparisons. He's much more two footed and better dribblers and finishers than those two, because he works hard doesnt mean he will be a Left Back.
Of course, but that still doesn't mean that he won't. We actually do need an LB though. A tall, physical, attack minded and defensively competent left footer, with pace, would surely be Jose's ideal LB. So it is still reasonable to point out that he does seem to fit the LB criteria quite nicely.

Devil may care

Maybe Jose has something else in mind. In a midfield 2 he will have defensive responsibilities, yes, but not as much as a DM but I get where you're coming from. As for goals I expect us to sign a new striker and if Perisic wll chip on with about 10 goals or so that's enough.
Yeah, I'm expecting 4-2-3-1 if Perisic is signed, I think a diamond would suit Pogba and Griezman as well as Mata and Mkhi, but if Perisic is playing as a winger not a fullback then the system wouldn't be any use to him as he's not a #10 or a player for the front 2.

Dante

Average bang
Of course, but that still doesn't mean that he won't. We actually do need an LB though. A tall, physical, attack minded and defensively competent left footer, with pace, would surely be Jose's ideal LB. So it is still reasonable to point out that he does seem to fit the LB criteria quite nicely.
Plus the ability to transition from defence to attack on his own and physically dominate his flank single-handed (just like Valencia does on the right). Marry that to the fact that all of our wingers are actually forwards that prefer to drift inside, and that our likely marquee signing is a nippy forward who can't lead the line in a Mourinho team, but can cause havoc when drifting from a free role from a wide position... and it all makes sense as a possibility. We'd pretty much be replicating our left wing on the the other side, and negating the need for a traditional winger to give prominence to a proper goal-scorer instead (something the team needs).

Not that I know anything about Perisic, mind you. But from the descriptions, I can't help but feel that an athlete who's a jack-of-all-trades would do well in the Valencia role.

Ole90+3

People in here keep quoting prices. Honestly, how would any of the journalists know what price is being negotiated? Surely that would not get leaked unless Inter actually wanted to get the figure out there in the media. In any case, the figure being 'leaked' may not even be accurate.

Di Marzio seems to be pretty clued in with Italian transfers. Has he mentioned a pricetag?

United Pro

perhaps.

too much smoke. Think this is happening.

Don't know anything about him. But if Mourinho wants him he is going to improve the team.
His 4 players did just that.
Yes, there's almost definitely something in the story, but that link saying that a deal at £40m is agreed is almost certainly not true. Saying that we may well sign Perisic for £40m and if we do sign him, it'll be interesting to see what position he'll play and what'll happen to say Martial.

pacifictheme

This could/should work in terms of turning the draws into wins. Underwhelming to face any top side though, very lightweight. Could get shot of Martial for Griezmann and play a three man midfield with Pogba having less key defensive duties.

Darmian would suddenly be very handy to rotate Rojo/Bailly. Young can be backup for Perisic/Valencia.

A few things stick out like sore thumbs:

1) We would have way too many AM types
2) We really lack firepower (the upside is in this setup you don't necessarily need this elusive complete all-rounder upfront)
3) I'm happy with Valencia's output starting from fullback and overlapping, but can't see him bossing the flank all by himself.
4) New Guy is crucial and I'm buggered if I know a good realistic candidate for it.
Dier or van djik could do it.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Plus the ability to transition from defence to attack on his own and physically dominate his flank single-handed (just like Valencia does on the right). Marry that to the fact that all of our wingers are actually forwards that prefer to drift inside, and that our likely marquee signing is a nippy forward who can't lead the line in a Mourinho team, but can cause havoc when drifting from a free role from a wide position... and it all makes sense as a possibility. We'd pretty much be replicating our left wing on the the other side.
Totally agree, there seem to be far more upsides to signing him as an LB, and his attributes seem to offer exactly what we would expect Jose to want from that position. Actually makes less sense to sign him for a more advanced role whilst still needing a LB!

Minimalist

Funny how the people knocking Perisic are probably the same people who still rate Juan Mata

We have a knack for really over-rating the ability of our own players and an arrogance that says somebody who "only" plays for Inter is unlikely to be good enough

I would like to see where Mata pops up when we eventually ship him out because the only place I ever see him linked with is Turkey. Genuinely don't know who would take him in the big 4 leagues
Absolute garbage.

starman

Woodward has been pretty good at getting players at their low end of their transfer value, so i doubt we will end up pay anything near being mentioned.
The media kept on reporting 130m for Pogba, so the 90m fee that it actually turned out to be was quite significantly less. I am guessing the fee would be around the same as what was paid for Mkhitaryan if he comes

Hanky panky

If he comes, i hope we dont overpay for him. I would say his value is not more than 70-80% from Mkhitaryan's value last year. He's one year older, coming from weaker league/weaker team and is more average player. Mkhitaryan was player of the year in Bundesliga and Perisic is just one the best players in middle table Serie A team.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Even though he is very good with left foot, I'd prefer a left-footed LB (passing, receiving the ball, long passing advantage) and Im not sure if he's that good defensively for Mourinho.

Peanut Butter

perhaps.

too much smoke. Think this is happening.

Don't know anything about him. But if Mourinho wants him he is going to improve the team.
His 4 players did just that.
Hope so :drool:

Good squads need players like Perisic. Not 20+ Ronaldos - if Jose wants him, I am happy :)

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Even though he is very good with left foot, I'd prefer a left-footed LB (passing, receiving the ball, long passing advantage) and Im not sure if he's that good defensively for Mourinho.
yeah me too, i think the advantages of an actual left footer are undeniable, but to me anyway, this signing makes a lot more sense and ticks more boxes as an LB than he does as an attacker. It's not that he is incompetent as an attacker, but i would expect our main attacking targets to be of a higher standard. Especially considering we would actually still need an LB in a similar mold. Do we really expect us to sign 2 new players on the left? I would be surprised if we did personally, i think it's widely accepted that CF, LB, CB and possibly DM, would be the main areas highlighted for strengthening. So spending big money on Perisic for something other than filling one of those positions would be surprising.

It just seems like something Jose would do, find a defensively competent attacker and convert him to a FB role where you get the best of both worlds. Valencia has been a revelation, and is now far more important to us as a RB than he has been for a long time as simply a winger.

el3mel

Independent says they want £50m...feck that
They want to milk as much money as possible from this transfer. Ed shouldn't be stupid.

They're clearly the ones forced to sell for FFP not us, so Ed should persist on his offer or surrender from the negotiation. Their resistance will fall when they will find no one willing to pay such a price.

Home&Away

Traditional wingers these days are more wingbacks - considering that we have not a single winger who hugs the touchline it makes sense to play someone like perisic at LB rather than him being our one and only winger.

This means mkhitarayan, mata, martial lingard and any other player we get for those positions can play more centrally.

NoPace

Still remember when we signed Owen on a free and Valencia from Wigan after we sold the best ever player. Buying Perisic would be akin to that.
Except Valencia was 24 years old. If Perisic had just had the season he'd had at Inter and was 24, this would be a decent get. Instead, he'll probably be pretty good but not a star for a couple of seasons and then will lose a yard of pace and he doesn't have the overall game or nimbleness to compensate. On the wing, that's trouble.

AndyJ1985

Except Valencia was 24 years old. If Perisic had just had the season he'd had at Inter and was 24, this would be a decent get. Instead, he'll probably be pretty good but not a star for a couple of seasons and then will lose a yard of pace and he doesn't have the overall game or nimbleness to compensate. On the wing, that's trouble.
I've never known a forum that has such an issue with 27/28/29 year olds. Every single player in that age range is met with the same concerns regarding being too old.

el3mel

I've never known a forum that has such an issue with 27/28/29 year olds. Every single player in that age range is met with the same concerns regarding being too old.
I have a feeling if Messi was linked to us people here will say " we shouldn't get him as he's 29 years old, will only give us 3 years. I'll prefer to give Martial chance instead" or something like that.

gaucho_10

What a train wreck of a post.
Form outsiders perspective, his post is everything except train wreck.

You have guys like Mata, Young and Lingard on your team to compare. All average or below average players. Perisic is more complete then any one of them. Not even a contest.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Hopefully Jose gave Ed two or three different options for each position he wants addressed so we don't get farcically fleeced by each club that thinks they can hold us hostage.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

You have guys like Mata, Young and Lingard on your team to compare. All average or below average players. Perisic is more complete then any one of them. Not even a contest.
Mata is far from below average. There is little value even beginning to discuss further if your barometer is broken.

Lentwood

First you assume that you know what people think about Mata and then you go on and talk about Mata not being a big 4 league player.
The reference to Mata was because I have read lots of comments on here suggesting Perisic isn't better than what we have and I am saying that is a pretty arrogant assumption when we have Mata plus a 21yo and a 19yo competing for that position.

I am not saying Mata couldn't play in the big 4 leagues, I am saying who would want him who can afford him and wouldn't be a massive step down?

El-Manos

Nainggolan is around that age and I would take him in a heartbeat. Depends on the player.

gaucho_10

Mata is far from below average. There is little value even beginning to discuss further if your barometer is broken.

Mata is a nothing player (imho) and he's the average one of the three. Runs around like headless chicken, soft, scared of any contact and never gets stuck in. He's also slow as feck.

You might think my barometer is broken but actually it's yours. You'll realize you were wrong later this summer when he end's up at Weat Ham or Galatasaray.

Lentwood

Exactly. Sorry I am upsetting a few of you who like reading Mata's blogs but no top team would want Juan Mata. Same for Lingard. Same for Young. Rashford is very very raw and seems better through the middle.

Mhiki has shown flashes of real quality so I am prepared to give him one more season before I judge.

So before we criticise Jose's judgement lets be realistic about what we actually have because what we have has finished 7th, 5th, 4th and 6th

Akshay

Staff
Mata is a nothing player (imho) and he's the average one of the three. Runs around like headless chicken, soft, scared of any contact and never gets stuck in. He's also slow as feck.
Except actually he has great movement, doesn't playact or dive like half your team, and is plenty happy to get stuck in for the team this season which you'd have noticed if you'd actually watched us play. But carry on.

Zoo

You might think my barometer is broken but actually it's yours. You'll realize you were wrong later this summer when he end's up at Weat Ham or Galatasaray.
It's fine not to rate Mata but saying he runs around round like a headless chicken is clearly nonsense.

gaucho_10

Except actually he has great movement, doesn't playact or dive like half your team, and is plenty happy to get stuck in for the team this season which you'd have noticed if you'd actually watched us play. But carry on.

You'll never compete with us if that's how your management also thinks, and that's where you should be. Competing with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.