Ivan Perisic

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengt

Who is this mysterious world class player that we can sign by paying an extra 20m? I keep hearing this but no one actually gives a realistic name. It's either Neymar, Sanchez or Bale and none of them are currently available.
Dembele or any young top prospect. For 70m-90m pound range I'm sure their club will think about it.

Not saying we shouldn't spend big but if we must spend, do it on someone who actually worth it. Was Pogba overpriced ? Yes but he's top player in his age and keep improving nonstop, in 2-3 years he'll easily worth double that price tag. Perisic ? Inter will sell him for penut next year if we don't buy him this window

Devil may care

What would you say constitutes craft in a cross, and which current wingers would you say display this?
I don't really see a lot of craft in crossing these days, there's a very mechanical approach by most wingers, they just get onto their strionger foot and hit the cross, they aren't picking anyone out, it's just like a robot following it's commands through, if someone manages to get onto it then bonus, you don't see many picking players out like Beckham used to do, I think in the game right now De Beuyne and Lemar are two of the best.

Dave1812

Lemar isn't an out and out winger like Perisic though, he's arguably more suited to a central role but his versatility means he plays a lot as a left-sided attacking midfielder. When he plays on the left he often comes inside and we already have players like Mata, Mkhi, and Martial who do that. Lemar is a very good and I'd love him but he's a different player to Perisic and might not be a great fit. As for Dembele, Dortmund can hold on to him and his value will only grow so they won't let him go this summer. Mahrez is decent but doesn't strike me as a typical Jose Winger, is lazy at times and tends flit in and out of games.
U can have your opinion my opinion is there are more options then Perisic for the age and money that is being talked about. As for Dembele there is no guarantee his value will grow he could have a average season get injured anything could happen. Martial had great first season not so good second season.

AdNani

Havent seen enough of him to know properly how good he'd be, but If Mourinho thinks he's right for the team then sign him up. Not every member of the squad has to be a world class 40 goal a season player, Chelsea won the league last year with Victor Moses playing a major fecking role.

Cliche Guevara

I don't really see a lot of craft in crossing these days, there's a very mechanical approach by most wingers, they just get onto their strionger foot and hit the cross, they aren't picking anyone out, it's just like a robot following it's commands through, if someone manages to get onto it then bonus, you don't see many picking players out like Beckham used to do, I think in the game right now De Beuyne and Lemar are two of the best.
Is it maybe a bit unfair to expect it from Perisic then? If we're looking for crosses, from a hard-working winger, then there's nobody else.

I accept it sometimes looks like he's crossing for crossing's sake, but he likes to move the ball quickly which could be an advantage for us.

Hoof the ball

Is it maybe a bit unfair to expect it from Perisic then? If we're looking for crosses, from a hard-working winger, then there's nobody else.

I accept it sometimes looks like he's crossing for crossing's sake, but he likes to move the ball quickly which could be an advantage for us.
You have a point there. He fits the criteria of what we require. The simple fact is that there are very few individuals these days who cross accurately and purposefully to a specific individual in the manner than Beckham did. Cross these days is more about one's ability to drive a cross low into a dangerous area for players to run onto, rather than pick out individuals. Can Perisic get the ball in there? yes. Can he run? yes. Can he operate defensively and offensively? yes. He ticks boxes. Sum of the parts makes the whole. If he fits Mou's criteria then I'm sure his entire system will benefit from a Perisic, rather than a more talented individual who doesn't.

Devil may care

Well that's been my point from the start, we shouldn't be looking for a grafter who hits in a high percentage of crosses, we should be getting that from our LB and allowing our inside forwards to get in closer to the striker in support of the attack to increase the breadth of our goal output. I also don't agree he's the only player we could get that can supply crosses, several are listed in the thread just made - https://www.redcafe.net/threads/other-wingers.430843/

sully1

No way should we accept to include Martial in any deal with Inter.
If we get rid of Martial watch us next season score less goals then we did last season.

But the facts remain Jose isn't a fan of Martial and we all know how it ends when Jose doesn't fancy a young player

AgentP

Dembele or any young top prospect. For 70m-90m pound range I'm sure their club will think about it.

Not saying we shouldn't spend big but if we must spend, do it on someone who actually worth it. Was Pogba overpriced ? Yes but he's top player in his age and keep improving nonstop, in 2-3 years he'll easily worth double that price tag. Perisic ? Inter will sell him for penut next year if we don't buy him this window
OK. Dembele is worth a shout but he seems to be intent on going to Barca. Anyone else apart from him who would improve us? Perisic is definitely not worth 50m euros but the market is completely crazy now. Swansea want 50m for Sigurdsson and Van Dijk is worth 70m. Walker went for over 50m. So getting a player for 40m in this market is not that much. But now that Inter have rejected our 45m euro + 5m bid, I think we should move on.

Devil may care

Perisic is two footed, run of the mill payers aren't two footed. You talk a lot of rubbish.
Being two footed makes a player special? speaking of talking rubbish......anyway this is heading in the same direction as every discussion on here, into immature insults, so I'll leave it at that.

Cliche Guevara

You have a point there. He fits the criteria of what we require. The simple fact is that there are very few individuals these days who cross accurately and purposefully to a specific individual in the manner than Beckham did. Cross these days is more about one's ability to drive a cross low into a dangerous area for players to run onto, rather than pick out individuals. Can Perisic get the ball in there? yes. Can he run? yes. Can he operate defensively and offensively? yes. He ticks boxes. Sum of the parts makes the whole. If he fits Mou's criteria then I'm sure his entire system will benefit from a Perisic, rather than a more talented individual who doesn't.
Yeah I think the benefit to Perisic might be his style of play as opposed to his individual brilliance.

He's fast, he's hard working, he loves a backheel and he loves a cross. These are all ingredients I think we are missing. He might not be worth £40m to any other team, but to us he might be the perfect system player which is probably more important. We already know Jose prefers a defensive left-back and more traditional winger.

I'm not completely sold on the player, just looking for the positives at this stage.

Hoof the ball

Yeah I think the benefit to Perisic might be his style of play as opposed to his individual brilliance.

He's fast, he's hard working, he loves a backheel and he loves a cross. These are all ingredients I think we are missing. He might not be worth £40m to any other team, but to us he might be the perfect system player which is probably more important. We already know Jose prefers a defensive left-back and more traditional winger.

I'm not completely sold on the player, just looking for the positives at this stage.

One interesting point @Devil may care brought up, which I agree with, is developing a system where the width and crossing comes primarily from the full-backs. I do feel that this would free up all forward's to venture inside, interchange and make runs behind the defence more, but until we have the right full-back's (at least on one side) to facilitate this, then Perisic would suffice being the provision for crosses.

Cliche Guevara

One interesting point @Devil may care brought up, which I agree with, is developing a system where the width and crossing comes primarily from the full-backs. I do feel that this would free up all forward's to venture inside, interchange and make runs behind the defence more, but until we have the right full-back's (at least on one side) to facilitate this, then Perisic would suffice being the provision for crosses.
The issue with that, and it was the point I was making earlier in the thread, is Jose doesn't play that way. He's probably not going to change to it.

I'm all for people expressing how they'd like us to play, and who they'd like us to sign. The difficulty is in people saying we should sign players who Jose clearly doesn't want, and wouldn't fit into his system.

I know how I'd like us to play, and who I'd love us to sign. I just don't see any point in not wanting us to sign certain players, when Jose obviously isn't going to start playing our preferred system out of nowhere.

stepic

It's all swings and roundabouts. If we played with two attacking fullbacks we would need to play 3 in the middle with a defensive midfielder so he could assist defensively when the fullbacks are forward. 3 in the middle means no number 10, which is essentially replaced by the left winger coming inside.

Having a 443 with a defensive mid and two attacking fullbacks isn't too dissimilar to a 4231 with one fullback that stays back and the extra 10, really.

Icemav

I agree. Especially as its something we missed all last season. Someone who can get to the byeline and cross in accurate. Or swing in early balls. We already have plenty of pseudo wingers who cut inside and dont score goals ;-)

Enigma_87

You know who
Who is this mysterious world class player that we can sign by paying an extra 20m? I keep hearing this but no one actually gives a realistic name. It's either Neymar, Sanchez or Bale and none of them are currently available.
Lemar? He'll get there to Sanchez level in couple of years if he develops in the way he does.

Minimalist

Martial is worth more than Perisic. The idea of him being included in any deal is just bizarre.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I've wanted him but at this point its just excessive what Inter wants and we should move on to a different wide player if we can. Its a joke what theyre asking for really, martial being included in a deal. If its true they rejected the €45+5m then just move on.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I reckon Perisic is just another smoke screen like Morata possibly was. Lukaku supposedly said ages ago that his mind was made up and he knew where he was going. We suddenly drop interest in Morata and boom, Lukaku joins.

I wouldn't be surprised if a similar thing happens with the Perisic deal. If Jose/Woody REALLY wanted Perisic, he'd be here by now. I reckon we have someone else lined up.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Nothing wrong with picking out areas as opposed to players to put crosses in to, particularly when most teams are playing man-to-man in that situation, it just depends on how well it's delivered in terms of trajectory/velocity in order to make it as difficult to defend as possible. It's up to players in the box to make intelligent runs in to these areas, not necessarily always the crossing players responsibility to pick a player out which is a lot harder.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I doubt Mourinho would go to the lengths of traveling to Croatia to watch Perisic only for it to be a 'smoke screen'. I'd suggest the opposite... that we haven't moved on to try and sign someone else because there isn't an alternative option that Jose has listed.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
A good winger should put the ball into a space where the attacker can attack it. It not about putting it on the head of someone who is just standing there statically.
Beckham used to get the ball in early which the strikers thrived on, especially as he rarely hit the 'first man'

dichinero

8 assists from 250+ crosses is not creative at all. Whipping in that may balls is not at all an art if you can get past your outside, whether he will get past PL defenders that easily is another question. Another question is what kind of crosses and where they ended up is another question. And I'm fairly certain that some of the assists did not directly come from a cross. He's more Jermaine Pennant than creative, and creative quality is what we need.

Ban

It's perfect if a winger can cross to an attacker's eyelash but it's nice if he can put it in a dangerous place too. He's good at crossing yet even that gets dissected.

Adebesi

I reckon Perisic is just another smoke screen like Morata possibly was. Lukaku supposedly said ages ago that his mind was made up and he knew where he was going. We suddenly drop interest in Morata and boom, Lukaku joins.

I wouldn't be surprised if a similar thing happens with the Perisic deal. If Jose/Woody REALLY wanted Perisic, he'd be here by now. I reckon we have someone else lined up.
I really like this idea. But unfortunately I dont think so. Simply on the basis that if we had a rabbit ready to pull out of the hat, why havent we produced it yet? We surely want any new players bedding in with the team on preseason.

I think we want(ed) Perisic but Inter dont want to sell him, simple as that. I dont blame them for that, we've been in their shoes before, its not nice when other teams try to poach your best players who you want to keep hold of. They are moving the goal posts because they want to discourage us - if the thing about Martial is true it seems clear to me they intended it to kill the conversation dead because they knew we werent going to go for it.

seegoblu

Having a 443 with a defensive mid and two attacking fullbacks isn't too dissimilar to a 4231 with one fullback that stays back and the extra 10, really.
Except for the extra player you have on the pitch, with 4 defensemen, 4 midfielders and 3 forwards....unless you're playing without a goalkeeper.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I really like this idea. But unfortunately I dont think so. Simply on the basis that if we had a rabbit ready to pull out of the hat, why havent we produced it yet? We surely want any new players bedding in with the team on preseason.

I think we want(ed) Perisic but Inter dont want to sell him, simple as that. I dont blame them for that, we've been in their shoes before, its not nice when other teams try to poach your best players who you want to keep hold of. They are moving the goal posts because they want to discourage us - if the thing about Martial is true it seems clear to me they intended it to kill the conversation dead because they knew we werent going to go for it.
From what I understood, the main issue was the price with the two clubs about £5-10m apart in their valuations of Perisic. From what I hear Perisic was up for the move. If United really wanted the deal done, they would have just sucked it up and coughed up. I could be wrong though.

Not that I'm complaining mind. I'm glad that we're not being taken for mugs anymore.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I still wonder about those two supposed lists reported a few weeks back. If Perisic was originally on the second list but then moved to the first then who was ahead of him in the first instance?

Status
Not open for further replies.