Ivan Perisic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ti vu

Martial and Rashford if given an actual chance can individually outscore and create more than Perisic. An actual chance entails both being given a sustained run and not playing a wingback-like role. Even if our wing options are attacking midfielders and strikers they have both performed on levels above Perisic at his best so for the figures being touted he is not worth the hastle but if it was a £30m punt I wouldn't be against such a move.
This fixation on Perisic is a bit worrying re-Mourinho's philosophical flexibility. Ironically those are the same figures being touted for Thomas Lemar so why don't we go for him and build up Mitchel to be this defensive winger he wants us to part with a king's ransom for?
If maximize their talent I can see they can in the future. However, to expect them to do it in near future, IMO the chance is slim. Let remember we're talking about team tactic where for most part we need to supply for Lukaku. Martial especially, is one at this stage of his development still a player who need supply than can work to supply others. His game is clearly of a forward where he prefers to spark into life closer to opposition goal. Rashford has the mentality which make him more adaptable for the position, but doesn't make him any close to good level winger. His dribbling is inconsistent, he can cross but at times doesn't have the instinct to time his cross. Sometimes too rush to cross, some other time miss first time cross chance doing circle dribbling.

I disagree with our wide players performing at high level than Perisic for recent time. They may have ceiling, but for each to maximize their game, other players usually would have to suffer much to the point that no one has any consistency with their form. Perisic the past few seasons, we're looking at the consistent level of Valencia. Not high enough or not, his level is assuring that it's less a problem in team balance to solve.

Lemar would be direct competition for Mata, Micky Lingard &a partially stifle Martial for game time. It's hard enough to get Martial & Rashford to consistent high level, and here you're more willing to go the long way with Mitchell he is further behind in development phase to solve big problem! Remember that Shaw was way way ahead of current Mitchell in development term, & yet Shaw is finding it hard to get there atm. Like the post I wrote in the transfer tweet, if you lose sight of the big picture as a whole club/team, you risk doing Arsenal: waiting too long for an internal development in one position, for another problem to pop up in a previous good position.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
There are other ways to skin the cat. I doubt we're after Perisic in a big way because he's so much better than the other options, it comes across as a case of him being different in the sense that he'll give us natural width on the left. If this is the case, why not do what most top teams do and use our bloody left back to do this? Why play Darmian there who can't tell his arse from his face in the opposition half? Either trust Shaw to do the business on the left or get a top left back there. Our problem on the left has consistently been the lack of support for our left winger who's always up 1 v 2 because Darmian's busy chatting up our LCB when we're attacking.
I doubt we are in for him now. Spaletti said there wasn't a follow up after initial contact.

"Until now, there hasn't been any important contact," he told a news conference. "There was something you already know about at the beginning of the window. There was no follow-up and so, for me, the topic is over.

Akshay

Staff
I would much rather bet on Martial and Mkhi. Not ideal but, them at their best is much better than Perisic at his best. It would be great if we can sign a winger who could take our attack to another level I really do not think Perisic is even close to it.
Yeah, I'll agree that at their best Martial (especially) and Mkhi are just on a different level. The question is whether we can get it consistently from them. I think Mkhi is actually best suited to playing as a #10 so he'll be fine if we play 4-2-3-1 but I can see him struggling in a 4-3-3. Martial is a wildcard. I don't even know if competition on the left would get more out of him or put him further inside his shell.

I'd be fine with Perisic if we could get him at a reasonable price, which doesn't seem to be happening.

Incompetent doesn't even begin to describe this monumental feck up imo. That he was our sole target in itself is testament to Mourinho's limited ambition style wise which betrays an intention to degenerate into an agricultural style of football.
Seems like Griezmann was the first choice right? So Perisic was a backup and there might be another option we don't know about.

ti vu

Finally matured is still very much in question. Only a few months ago his commitment was questioned by fans when he seemed not to be bothered because a rumoured transfer or something along those lines. I've seen every card used in his defense from him being a great player to one that has a great mentality which isn't the case. The guy seems to have it in him to act out every now and then. Many may not like Klopp, but his demands on the pitch are probably as high as José, Perisic could not handle that in the BuLi. His time in Serie A, where there is little pressure is hardly the sign of a fully matured player. The PL is a different level altogether
Commitment to the cause is different than maturity in game=taking responsibility, which here talking about his previous weakness becoming strength.

Is it that hard to understand? Take Tevez as example. Questionable character. Doesn't commit in training by Vida's interview. Throw himself on the pitch. Not a good professional. Not a Berbatov lazy ass for sure on the pitch. Not the best player you can get, but can be quite useful for successful teams by looking at his record.

Player can develop which is the case of Perisic. Klopp' she demand is different than Mourinho. As time shows, one has sloppy standard for winning mentality & more often than not prefer to sing the old excuse of style when thing doesn't go his way.

CM

Mourinho has spoken a number of times in pre season about training in a back 3 and having that formation as a possible option for us this season. He has no issues playing Lukaku/Rashford together and if Ibra is coming back then that system would allow him to play Ibra/Lukaku up top as well. In that context the Perisic signing makes perfect sense as he's got all the attributes for a LWB. Stays wide and hugs the touchline rather than move centrally like most other wide forwards and has a fantastic delivery + very solid defensively.
Except it doesn't really make any sense to sign Perisic with the intention of playing him at wing-back. It doesn't even make much sense signing him to play as a winger.

Stacks

If maximize their talent I can see they can in the future. However, to expect them to do it in near future, IMO the chance is slim. Let remember we're talking about team tactic where for most part we need to supply for Lukaku. Martial especially, is one at this stage of his development still a player who need supply than can work to supply others. His game is clearly of a forward where he prefers to spark into life closer to opposition goal. Rashford has the mentality which make him more adaptable for the position, but doesn't make him any close to good level winger. His dribbling is inconsistent, he can cross but at times doesn't have the instinct to time his cross. Sometimes too rush to cross, some other time miss first time cross chance doing circle dribbling.

I disagree with our wide players performing at high level than Perisic for recent time. They may have ceiling, but for each to maximize their game, other players usually would have to suffer much to the point that no one has any consistency with their form. Perisic the past few seasons, we're looking at the consistent level of Valencia. Not high enough or not, his level is assuring that it's less a problem in team balance to solve.

Lemar would be direct competition for Mata, Micky Lingard &a partially stifle Martial for game time. It's hard enough to get Martial & Rashford to consistent high level, and here you're more willing to go the long way with Mitchell he is further behind in development phase to solve big problem! Remember that Shaw was way way ahead of current Mitchell in development term, & yet Shaw is finding it hard to get there atm. Like the post I wrote in the transfer tweet, if you lose sight of the big picture as a whole club/team, you risk doing Arsenal: waiting too long for an internal development in one position, for another problem to pop up in a previous good position.
2016 Martial and Miki were levels above what Perisic has done and they did it in leagues that Perisic has either struggled in (BDL) or is expected to find a tougher challenge (EPL). Martial looked like a young Henry in 2016

sunama

Baghdad Bob
No, you spent €42M for Micky. Who had all of one great season in his career, was on the last year of his contract and wanted united no matter what

Inter are asking €50/55M for perisic. If tomorrow the exchange rate became 1 pound=€50/55M, perisic would cost you 1 pound
This is actually a very good point.
I think rather than looking at forign signings in terms of £, we need to think in terms of Euros.

AkaAkuma

Well said, I would also add that Martial needs a decent attacking full back to make the most of his game, whereas Perisic can be more of a threat across a longer stretch of the left flank.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Playing against Chelsea right now.

barmyarmy

Recent comment from Spaletti makes this transfer even more difficult. With Jose already knowing our players inside out their strengths and weaknesses and the way he is going to approach games, I think if we get him & a DM then we would definitely be challenging for league. With Zlatan due to be back in Jan we can easily play 3-5-2 and Perisic can definitely play as LWB will suit both Lukaku and Zlatan.

Hawks2008

Hopefully there's truth to Spaletti's comments and we have moved on, there's no way Perisic is the best mourinho and our scouts can come up with.

haram

I'm so but you can't be taking stats from the qualifying stages for the Euros and group stages that serious. Is scoring against minnows like Azerbaijan and Malta now a big thing? Aaron Ramsey was one of the better players at the Euros but that doesn't mean anything.
We are Manchester United and should be interested in players that perform on the big stage not the qualifying stages of the Euros. Danny Welbeck also performed well in qualifiers too
He's played against the likes of Brazil and Spain as well. Everyone has to play against these teams, and regardless, the stats are still very impressive for a left winger. It's not just qualifiers, it's in the finals where he performed. He was impressive period.

Just scored against Chelsea. I'm feckin telling you he's what we need :(

barmyarmy

I certainly think he can make a big difference in our team and will be a huge asset specially with Lukaku in our team.

Adnandos

Hes played so much better since the first time we got linked with him :lol: Can only be a good sign really, wouldn't complain, always trust Mourinho with signings.

el3mel

People talking about Inter talking a lot about him recently to try to market and sell him are kidding themselves. The fact he's very important player for Inter and their manager. They don't want to sell him and will be really happy if the deal fails, which what looks really.

It's shame. He was going to be a typical Mourinho player and could have seen him making a perfect duo with Lukaku, but we reached a closed route with Inter I assume.

mayonnaise

I think If we can't get Perisic we should forget a winger and focus on a Centre mid.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Jose should convince him to throw his toys out of the pram and hand in a transfer request.

roonster09

FA Cup Predictions 2023/2024 winner
Scout
He is very quick and two footed player, how anyone can say his weaker foot is not that strong is beyond me. Some Bayern fan spouted that first and then somehow it became a norm here to say "his weaker foot isn't that strong".

el3mel

We should have got him in Jun and paid 45m and finish it already and feck the price tbh, but now it looks impossible with Inter trying to force Martial in the deal to pay us for waiting for 1st Jul to prey on their FFP problems.

barmyarmy

Woody should convince Glazers even if he is not marketable, If Jose wants him and we win the title then it will more marketable than signing a high profile name as everyone would be saying "United are back":drool:

Moonred

On Perisic's good days, he is pretty good and definitely good enough for us. It's a different matter whether he lacks consistency, and if it's smart to spend whatever we need to for him. Never a turd.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
There are other ways to skin the cat. I doubt we're after Perisic in a big way because he's so much better than the other options, it comes across as a case of him being different in the sense that he'll give us natural width on the left. If this is the case, why not do what most top teams do and use our bloody left back to do this? Why play Darmian there who can't tell his arse from his face in the opposition half? Either trust Shaw to do the business on the left or get a top left back there. Our problem on the left has consistently been the lack of support for our left winger who's always up 1 v 2 because Darmian's busy chatting up our LCB when we're attacking.
I agree.

Not sure whether Shaw will ever cut it here, so it's a position we should be looking to strengthen.

Status
Not open for further replies.