Ivan Toney | Banned until 16th January 2024 Stay on Topic!

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Quality striker, he will get a big move eventually once this betting scandal has been forgotten about. I can see him going to Liverpool.
He is a Liverpool fan too, if we keep him this summer it will only be because he gets a long ban but let’s see what unfolds.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Missed the trick with thread title ivan Toney - Brentford Masterbettor

Wilt

Missed the trick with thread title ivan Toney - Brentford Masterbettor
He loves a bet!

He‘s been charged by the FA for having placed (something like) 232 bets on football results.

Giggsyking

So Frank thinks he is worth more than the 100m valuation of Rice. :lol:

edcunited1878

Premier League teams are banning bettering companies as front of kit sponsors...and Toney has been caught betting on football matches, specifically over 232 alleged breaches of betting rules in November; the Brentford forward was charged with a further 30 alleged breaches of FA betting rules in December; Toney has also denied some of the charges which occurred between 2017 and 2021.

How is this "only" a 6 month ban, potentially?!

Mike Smalling

Or he doesn't think Rice is worth 100m...
Yeah, isn't that pretty much what he is saying between the lines? Any club would want to get the maximum they can for a player, but the market is inflated, especially for young English talent. I don't think he has said anything outrageous there. If it wasn't for the betting issues, wouldn't Toney be a hot prospect?

Gandalf

Premier League teams are banning bettering companies as front of kit sponsors...and Toney has been caught betting on football matches, specifically over 232 alleged breaches of betting rules in November; the Brentford forward was charged with a further 30 alleged breaches of FA betting rules in December; Toney has also denied some of the charges which occurred between 2017 and 2021.

Perspective I guess. It seems he did not bet on games he was involved in and there has not even been the slightest hint of any kind of match fixing scandal, just a punter placing bets. The league has been in bed with gambling companies and so there is a great deal of hypocrisy in the charges although of course there are rules and he has breached them. Personally I don't see why he should merit anything more than a signficant fine and a ban of around 6 games and I would think a 6 month ban would be insanely out of proportion.

I see that like me you live in the States and so you have probably seen some of the ludicrously draconian suspensions handed out to NFL players for betting even when they are just betting on other sports. I don't know if that influences your opinion that 6 months seems short for the offence but again I think it is outrageous that a league like the NFL that shoves online gambling down our throats 24/7 can clutch it's pearls and suspend guys for so long that they get released by their teams and effectively have their careers ended.

Free Ivan Toney and feck the FA.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
£100m?

I bet they don't get anywhere near that for him.

edcunited1878

Perspective I guess. It seems he did not bet on games he was involved in and there has not even been the slightest hint of any kind of match fixing scandal, just a punter placing bets. The league has been in bed with gambling companies and so there is a great deal of hypocrisy in the charges although of course there are rules and he has breached them. Personally I don't see why he should merit anything more than a signficant fine and a ban of around 6 games and I would think a 6 month ban would be insanely out of proportion.

I see that like me you live in the States and so you have probably seen some of the ludicrously draconian suspensions handed out to NFL players for betting even when they are just betting on other sports. I don't know if that influences your opinion that 6 months seems short for the offence but again I think it is outrageous that a league like the NFL that shoves online gambling down our throats 24/7 can clutch it's pearls and suspend guys for so long that they get released by their teams and effectively have their careers ended.

Free Ivan Toney and feck the FA.
Yeah, it's really odd and us Stateside have seen it for many years now...also, how's the Alabama college baseball coach? What are your thoughts there? And it's probably more of an issue if what he did was true, betting on his own team knowing a particular pitcher was scratched, which prompted a spike in betting trends, for such a low, low stakes event (with respect).

NFL players and sports players, like the general public, gamble/bet on lots of things like golf holes, cards, dice, etc. SNL had that hilarious skit about Michael Jordan/The Last Dance and just the culture of gambling/quarters/etc.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-last-dance-extended-scene/4362995

Abraxas

Only? It's 6 months out of his prime and may block a big move. It's not exactly a slap on the wrist.

I guess it depends on perspective, but I don't think it's even that bad. Betting on matches he wasn't involved in..I find it pretty hard to get hot under the collar about that. Hopefully he rinsed the bookies too.

edcunited1878

Only? It's 6 months out of his prime and may block a big move. It's not exactly a slap on the wrist.

I guess it depends on perspective, but I don't think it's even that bad. Betting on matches he wasn't involved in..I find it pretty hard to get hot under the collar about that. Hopefully he rinsed the bookies too.
The infractions may be minor in isolation, charged with 200+ breaches is a lot, a lot.

I agree, betting on matches he wasn't involved in is a totally different proposition than betting on the odd league games or whatever prop bets.

Think he's a very good player and great story coming from the lower leagues and all that. And if he's got a lengthy suspension coming up and will have a zero tolerance mandate after he serves his suspension, then that should knock down his transfer fee from Brentford.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Having an amazing season for Brentford with 25 goals and 9 assists in 32 games. We often hear grumbling on the CAF that we don’t sign guys like Maddison from the Championship only to be interested when their clubs want £100m for them. Is he a guy we should be looking at in the event of no Haaland?

Worth noting that Brentford have one of the most sophisticated scouting systems about which is why they keep getting these gems and making profit.

He looks to be a complete forward who scores all type of goals and is especially good in the air.

Worth saying that this was a great OP

Oscar Bonavena

I think he'd be a great addition to the United squad (well, wouldn't be difficult with the paucity of our striking options).

He's a Liverpool fan apparently but would he fancy going to them and having to compete with Nunez, Gakpo etc? Any half decent striker that joins United is going to be the Mac Daddy just by virtue of there being f**k all else in that position!

He's definitely going to get a minimum 6 month ban for the gambling though. Will have to wait to see how that plays out.

croadyman

I think he'd be a great addition to the United squad (well, wouldn't be difficult with the paucity of our striking options).

He's a Liverpool fan apparently but would he fancy going to them and having to compete with Nunez, Gakpo etc? Any half decent striker that joins United is going to be the Mac Daddy just by virtue of there being f**k all else in that position!

He's definitely going to get a minimum 6 month ban for the gambling though. Will have to wait to see how that plays out.
Yeah this is exactly why rumours have gone quiet because clubs are expecting a hefty ban

Oscar Bonavena

I'll admit I'm a bit biased because I hate gambling in sport full stop, but mate you can't have professional footballers betting on games. Even if they're not "involved".

They might have previously played for the club they're betting on, they might still know most of the players and be in a position to influence performances or how players approach games ("I've got 10 grand on you to score first, don't let me down!")

They all know the rules, there's absolutely no excuse for that Toney's (allegedly) done.

Abraxas

I'll admit I'm a bit biased because I hate gambling in sport full stop, but mate you can't have professional footballers betting on games. Even if they're not "involved".

They might have previously played for the club they're betting on, they might still know most of the players and be in a position to influence performances or how players approach games ("I've got 10 grand on you to score first, don't let me down!")

They all know the rules, there's absolutely no excuse for that Toney's (allegedly) done.
I'm not saying there's an excuse or that he shouldn't be punished. The rules are there and they'd have to be bloody thick not to know them.

I just think 6 months fits the "crime." I don't think Ivan Toney has the power to influence performances because he's got a bet on. If it was as easy as telling someone to score management would be a pretty simple gig. I think it's an appearences thing more than something that has any tangible effect. It doesn't look good, but so long as it's not on Brentford games the scope of the damage is very limited and that's why I don't see stupid multiple year bans being a thing.

Now if he was fixing matches or otherwise betting on Brentford, then yes, throw the book at him.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I'm not saying there's an excuse or that he shouldn't be punished. The rules are there and they'd have to be bloody thick not to know them.

I just think 6 months fits the "crime." I don't think Ivan Toney has the power to influence performances because he's got a bet on. If it was as easy as telling someone to score management would be a pretty simple gig. I think it's an appearences thing more than something that has any tangible effect. It doesn't look good, but so long as it's not on Brentford games the scope of the damage is very limited and that's why I don't see stupid multiple year bans being a thing.

Now if he was fixing matches or otherwise betting on Brentford, then yes, throw the book at him.
I think the issue is that the difference between what we assume he has done, and fraud, can be pretty hard to prove and so you have to punish what he's done sufficiently that players aren't committing fraud safe in the knowledge they are unlikely to face worse consequences than a slap on the wrist for breaching betting rules.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Something said about his ban?
Heard a couple of days ago, from a normally very reliable source, that Tuesday was going to be a busy day, so assume we are expecting some sort of response/sanctions from the FA to come out.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Well he is making his second Wembley appearance of the season today and it ain't to play football this time - so expecting something to come out imminently.
Do you think a ban could be a blessing in disguise of it puts other teams off going in for him?

Would you take a 3-4 months absence if it meant keeping him or would you prefer the money?

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Do you think a ban could be a blessing in disguise of it puts other teams off going in for him?

Would you take a 3-4 months absence if it meant keeping him or would you prefer the money?
Would always like to sell at the top end/when the value is highest and if it wasn't for the ban then that would have definitely been this summer. He is a top top player and not easy to replace but I trust the recruitment team to be able to do that, we went from Maupay>Watkins>Toney as our main strikers and if we keep that upward trend then will be doing well. If he does get a few months ban then I'd hope he would add a year on his contract to give us a stronger bargaining position for when he inevitably does go. IF somebody was crazy enough to offer the money we want for a banned player I'd take it now imo.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Would always like to sell at the top end/when the value is highest and if it wasn't for the ban then that would have definitely been this summer. He is a top top player and not easy to replace but I trust the recruitment team to be able to do that, we went from Maupay>Watkins>Toney as our main strikers and if we keep that upward trend then will be doing well. If he does get a few months ban then I'd hope he would add a year on his contract to give us a stronger bargaining position for when he inevitably does go. IF somebody was crazy enough to offer the money we want for a banned player I'd take it now imo.
I don’t think 3 months would be enough to put off the likes of Spurs/Chelsea, but anymore than that could put off any potential suitors.

It is frustrating. You feel like this could have been served at the end of the season and it would have suited the club much better.

mav_9me

I always thought he was Watkins level of player, good but not quiet top tier. But that was my ignorance. Watched him closely against Liverpool couple of weeks ago. He was so good. Great touch, passing, skills, hold up etc. Without this betting thing, he would be gone this summer for 60-80m at least. Having said that quite a few options but also quite a few clubs looking for a striker...

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
It is frustrating. You feel like this could have been served at the end of the season and it would have suited the club much better.
It's not the FA's job to make it work the best possible way for a club. That being said it feels like this has dragged on for a while now.