Jérémy Doku

kaku06

I think Garnacho could be classed as something of that sort. But yeah he lacks a bit physically right now and doesn’t have electric pace
Also none of our wingers have elite dribbling. Some of them can beat their man at times like Rashford and Garnacho but none of them are good enough to go past the defenders constantly. Less said about Sancho and Antony the better.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
His fbref stats are off the charts good. If he can stay injury free, hard to see him not becoming a massive success for them.

elPibeDeOro

Supports
Aston Villa & Argentina NT
He was Belgium's standout player in the last tournament they played in. Can't remember if it was the World Cup or the Euros.
Last Euros. That game vs Italy he was frightening. Best acceleration I've ever seen on a football pitch.

Taribo's Gap

Not sure what Pep is cooking with this one. Will be very interesting to see how he integrates into and/or changes City's style because it seems like a mix of oil and water at first blush.

City are like a cold villain in a 3-hour psycho thriller: slow, methodical, calculated, patient, deliberate with the occasional unexpected quirk to remind you that death is imminent. Once they've turned your mind to mush, they turn lethal and feast on the carcass and it ends up looking really bad.

Doku seems to play like he doesn't want things to go too far past the opening credits. Everything is fast, frenetic and unsettling. Five minutes into the movie and wham bam the main character is suddenly dead, but you really enjoyed those five minutes.

Last edited:

Elon's Musk

Not sure what Pep is cooking with this one. Will be very interesting to see how he integrates into and/or changes City's style because it seems like a mix of oil and water a first blush.

City are like a cold villain in a 3-hour psycho thriller: slow, methodical, calculated, patient, deliberate with the occasional unexpected quirk to remind you that death is imminent. Once they've turned your mind to mush, they turn lethal and feast on the carcass and it ends up looking really bad.

Doku seems to play like he doesn't want things to go too far past the opening credits. Everything is fast, frenetic and unsettling. Five minutes into the movie and wham bam the main character is suddenly dead, but you really enjoyed those five minutes.
:) Welcome new poster! I look forward to your posts.

Golden Nugget

Not sure what Pep is cooking with this one. Will be very interesting to see how he integrates into and/or changes City's style because it seems like a mix of oil and water at first blush.

I agree with this. I haven’t seen much of Doku apart from cameos in the World Cup and euros - but he looked like a very direct player like you had mentioned - and really wouldn’t fit into Peps system.

Garnacho's Shoelaces

When you're the highest spending manager of all-time, managing the most expensively assembled squad in sports history with the sovereign wealth of an oil state behind you, you can afford the risk.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

People said similar with Haaland,
People also said similar with Grealish.

Pep will use Doku to mix it up but undoubtedly Doku will change his style slightly to adapt into the system.

Taribo's Gap

People said similar with Haaland,
People also said similar with Grealish.

Pep will use Doku to mix it up but undoubtedly Doku will change his style slightly to adapt into the system.
Yeah, that's why I said it would be interesting, but I'm sure Pep has something in mind. Even with Kovacic and Nunes it seem like he's going for more line breaking with dribbling and maybe faster and more vertical transitions?

For Haaland and Grealish, you could come up with some mitigating rationale to justify the stylistic deviation. Haaland was a generational striking talent who guaranteed goals, so it was justifiable to accommodate him because you knew what you were going to get. Grealish was the English poster boy, homegrown spot, huge commercial appeal for an enterprise trying to grow its fanbase and solidify itself as a commercial behemoth.

Doku...has none of that. He's a young, injury-prone and relatively unproven, but high-potential prospect with some obvious gifts. His arrival also probably had a lot to do with the reason Cole Palmer left.

IrishRedDevil

4 assists and a goal today.

It was obvious back in 2021 when I made this thread that he was a quality player.

Of course he wasn’t even on our radar.

Yeah, I was desperate for him in the summer. He's got the fastest first burst of acceleration I've ever seen and he's a great 1v1 dribbler. Quite often watched Rennes last year just to see him (although they have a fun team in general, I think I made a post about it...but he was clearly the star).

We've needed that type of hyperathletic 1v1 chaos creator in our team for literally a decade.

RedStarUnited

Yeah, I was desperate for him in the summer. He's got the fastest first burst of acceleration I've ever seen and he's a great 1v1 dribbler. Quite often watched Rennes last year just to see him (although they have a fun team in general, I think I made a post about it...but he was clearly the star).

We've needed that type of hyperathletic 1v1 chaos creator in our team for literally a decade.
For a team that thinks wing play is in its DNA we have signed some awful wingers.

Martial was unplayable but he never wanted to be a winger so lost it with time and injuries came.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Is he that good or is the space created by city helping in that aspect also?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Is he that good or is the space created by city helping in that aspect also?
He's one of the most aggressive runners that I've seen in terms of attacking the box. He's always looking to drive forward. Extremely brave on the ball.

Unlike our other wingers if he's 1v1 he's going at the fullback every single time.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Looks a great signing for the money

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Signing of the season? He surely does impress everyone - pace, dribbling, ball carries, assists... he has it all.

padr81

Supports
Man City
These players exist in Ligue 1 but they are often a bit dumb or lack end product.
I was about to say reminds me of like Saint-Maximin but with far better football brain so better end product and less silly showboating.

Redstain

He's always showed this promise I'm not exactly sure why others can be astounded that he's a good dribbler, him being chosen for Belgium in 2021 was evident of his talent.

I think all it shows is that Pep is at this point simply in his own league when it comes to coaching. His system brings the best out of players from defence to midfield to attack. Consider that in ten years United have signed countless players and not one of them have enhanced their capabilities due to the system they were being adopted in (see Mount) the contrast is ridiculous.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I was about to say reminds me of like Saint-Maximin but with far better football brain so better end product and less silly showboating.
Yup, that's the obvious one.