Jurgen Klopp Sack Watch

Fts 74

They look knackered and short of ideas.

Its pretty much the same group of players from the CL final defeat to Real.

Klopps methods may have caught up with them it was impossible to sustain the way they were playing forever.

I'd say since project restart they haven't looked the same.

No doubt they'll come out of this slump soon and very well might challenge for the title but one things for sure,without a bit of an overhaul in the summer,their aura of invincibility has diminished.

United58

They look knackered and short of ideas.

Its pretty much the same group of players from the CL final defeat to Real.

Klopps methods may have caught up with them it was impossible to sustain the way they were playing forever.
Yeah in truth it's down to finding the perfect combo and refusing to budge from it; long may it continue!

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
It's partly on him and it's partly on the players. Some of them have let their heads drop and this started when the first lockdown ended. You could see that the levels had dropped a bit.

There are several factors at play but I would love to know whether he is instructing players to try these hopeless long diagonal crosses into the oppositions box. They're always hit high as well so players like Salah and Mane don't have a chance. Shaqiri did this several times tonight and Henderson does it all the time. Does my head in and never results in a goal.

I still maintain that this drop off was bound to happen after the last two seasons. It happened to City last year and now it's happening to us. This drop off has come all at once leading to a horrific run of form we're currently in.

Interestingly this seems to be a common occurrence when reigning champions try to defend their crown:

12/13 - Champions: Manchester United / 13/14 - 7th
13/14 - Champions: Manchester City / 14/1- - 2nd (8 points off of champions Chelsea).
14/15 - Champions: Chelsea / 15/16 - 10th
15/16 - Champions: Leicester / 16/17 - 12th
16/17 Champions: Chelsea / 17/18 - 5th (30 points behind City)

Then City retained it but fell off massively in 19/20, finishing 18 points behind us.

Now we're looking like we're going to finish way off the pace this season.

Ekeke

How can they be 6 points behind us when they have the wingers that posters want us to have at fullback? Its a conundrum

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Started watching the post match interview, did he really say: "we lost a game that... it's really impossible to lose, but we did it" ?
Pretty disrespectful, i'd say...

Chairman Steve

They just look like a team that needs freshening up because everyone’s figured them out and there’s probably some mental fatigue setting in after years of chasing the summit, then reaching it and now competing with teams more determined than they are.

I personally can’t see Klopp staying beyond the end of next season. I don’t know whether he’s got it in him to rebuild that team. Pretty sure Klopp said in an interview when he was still at Dortmund that he wasn’t going to be a SAF type and stay with a club for double digit years and that he’d want new challenges after a few years.

Like most successful modern managers, they just move onto their next ‘project’ as a breath of fresh air.

automaticflare

Jota is a big miss, he freshened up the attack.

Thiago holds on to the ball. I don't think the other midfielders around him are on same wavelength TBH, and that means the balls through him are taking longer than usual. I think this actually hampers Salad and Mane who want a quick ball into space.

I think Thiago and Salah are a dichotomy at the moment.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
They just look like a team that needs freshening up because everyone’s figured them out and there’s probably some mental fatigue setting in after years of chasing the summit, then reaching it and now competing with teams more determined than they are.

I personally can’t see Klopp staying beyond the end of next season. I don’t know whether he’s got it in him to rebuild that team. Pretty sure Klopp said in an interview when he was still at Dortmund that he wasn’t going to be a SAF type and stay with a club for double digit years and that he’d want new challenges after a few years.

Like most successful modern managers, they just move onto their next ‘project’ as a breath of fresh air.
If this carries on into next season then I would say he probably will go. I'm expecting Klopp to be gone by 2023 regardless.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Feck him. He peaked in 2017-2019. He won the 2020 League but mainly before Covid.

Rebuild or Top4-6 for the next seasons.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Interestingly this seems to be a common occurrence when reigning champions try to defend their crown:

12/13 - Champions: Manchester United / 13/14 - 7th
13/14 - Champions: Manchester City / 14/1- - 2nd (8 points off of champions Chelsea).
14/15 - Champions: Chelsea / 15/16 - 10th
15/16 - Champions: Leicester / 16/17 - 12th
16/17 Champions: Chelsea / 17/18 - 5th (30 points behind City)

Then City retained it but fell off massively in 19/20, finishing 18 points behind us.

Now we're looking like we're going to finish way off the pace this season.
Dunno what you’re on about mate:

06/07 Champions: Manchester United - 07/08 - 1st
07/08 Champions: Manchester United - 08/09 - 1st
08/09 Champions: Manchester United - 09/10 - 2nd (1 point off)
10/11 Champions: Manchester United - 11/12 - 2nd (Level points)
12/13 Champions: Manchester United - 13/14 - MOYESt

You won the league one year and then you burnt out. A great team and manager can win it 5 out of 7 seasons with just 1 point in total the difference across the other two seasons.

Teja

You won the league one year and then you burnt out. A great team and manager can win it 5 out of 7 seasons with just 1 point in total the difference across the other two seasons.
If anything it just shows how exceptional Fergie was. Retaining the title is very hard and having 3 in a row is incredible.

A lot of it is just psychological, having that desire to go year after year is hard. They’d need freshening up a bit and somehow I don’t think anyone there would actually have the balls to sell Salah / Mane / TAA as we did with Beckham / Keane / RvN / Stam.

city-puma

If this carries on into next season then I would say he probably will go. I'm expecting Klopp to be gone by 2023 regardless.
During a run of undesirable results like this, the media surely will make most of it by pouring oil on fire. But for pool’s supporters, it’s not a honorable thing to do by throwing Klopp under the bus so soon after what he had achieved with your club.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool

Ferguson was exceptional and a one off generational talent. My point was that it's been increasingly hard for champions to maintain those standards more recently.

What you mean to say is that an incredible once in a life time manager can do that across a 7 year period, which is what makes him the GOAT.

Klopp only winning one Premier League makes him a rubbish manager?

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
During a run of undesirable results like this, the media surely will make most of it by pouring oil on fire. But for pool’s supporters, it’s not a honorable thing to do by throwing Klopp under the bus so soon after what he had achieved with your club.
I'm not throwing him under the bus. He won't get sacked and I'd never want him to after what he's achieved at Liverpool.

But I do think he himself will want to leave in the next couple of years, especially if we start to struggle and he thinks motivating/rebuilding the squad isn't doable. It's less common in modern football.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
What you mean to say is that an incredible once in a life time manager can do that across a 7 year period
Just for the record, he also did this across an earlier 11 year period:

92/93 Champions: Manchester United - 93/94 - 1st
93/94 Champions: Manchester United - 94/95 - 2nd (1 point off)
95/96 Champions: Manchester United - 96/97 - 1st
96/97 Champions: Manchester United - 97/98 - 2nd (1 point off)
98/99 Champions: Manchester United - 99/00 - 1st
99/00 Champions: Manchester United - 00/01 - 1st
00/01 Champions: Manchester United - 01/02 - 3rd (10 points off :eek:)
02/03 Champions: Manchester United

city-puma

I'm not throwing him under the bus. He won't get sacked and I'd never want him to after what he's achieved at Liverpool.

But I do think he himself will want to leave in the next couple of years, especially if we start to struggle and he thinks motivating/rebuilding the squad isn't doable. It's less common in modern football.
Sorry I misread what you meant. Shit happens. A team will go downward after peak. It’s normal and also it’s very difficult to have a way to refresh the squad by just adding a few new players in an organic approach. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. I still remember how hard it’s when SAF rebuilt the team when Keane was near the end of his playing career.

city-puma

Just for the record, he also did this across an earlier 11 year period:

92/93 Champions: Manchester United - 93/94 - 1st
93/94 Champions: Manchester United - 94/95 - 2nd (1 point off)
95/96 Champions: Manchester United - 96/97 - 1st
96/97 Champions: Manchester United - 97/98 - 2nd (1 point off)
98/99 Champions: Manchester United - 99/00 - 1st
99/00 Champions: Manchester United - 00/01 - 1st
00/01 Champions: Manchester United - 01/02 - 3rd (10 points off :eek:)
02/03 Champions: Manchester United
I think that 3rd finish is the season Keano publicly critized almost every player on pitch after a lost when he was out injured and SAF eventually resolved the toxic situation so that Keano left the club in the mid of the season, right?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I think that 3rd finish is the season Keano publicly critized almost every player on pitch after a lost when he was out injured and SAF eventually resolved the toxic situation so that Keano left the club in the mid of the season, right?
No that happened early in the 05/06 season, towards the end of what was basically a bumpy five year transition period for us (01/02 to 05/06) where our league positions were 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 3rd and 2nd, before 1st in 06/07.

city-puma

No that happened early in the 05/06 season, towards the end of what was basically a bumpy five year transition period for us (01/02 to 05/06) where our league positions were 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 3rd and 2nd, before 1st in 06/07.
Yeah, I remember that three year period it’s like staying in the darkness forever. Fletcher was fiercely criticized by both Keano and many of us. And then Vidic and Evra suddenly turned out to be diamond after the summer.

edcunited1878

Liverpool couldn't sustain their output and it shows. It's on full display. The way they turned draws into 3 points was insane because they pumped long balls and crosses into opposition boxes at a relentless pace. This year that pace has reduced and the effectiveness has waned. Back to some type of normalcy. TAA and Robertson are fullbacks for a reason because if their overall football talent and skills were better, in addition to their delivery, they wouldn't be fullbacks.

It's only been four league matches but right now no team can afford consecutive games without a win. It's only 6 points behind United and plenty of time to cover the ground, but they are in a massive attacking rut (long may it continue). There's enough service to get a goal or two like we've seen today, but then their forwards are off the boil at the same time their fullback's cannot provide enough quality. They miss Jota more than VVD.

Klopp has to decide if he's going to change his team for a 3rd time or stick with what he's got...Gegenpress (counter-press), Press + Direct Longballs/Crossing, ?

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Nope Keane left 3 years later.
The season we bought Veron and RVN.
Fergie tried to shoehorn Veron and Scholes in the same team.
Think Scholes played as a CF that season behind RVN?
edit: It was the Barthez clown season :annoyed:

Last edited:

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Let’s revisit in 21 years time! Once in 30 years, and it has an * after it.

Champions 19/20 - Liverpool*
You know whoever wins it this year will have a bigger ‘*’ than last season right?

We could’ve stopped playing football after the first lockdown started and still would’ve been crowned champions.

This season you’ve got players missing due to COVID, fixture disruption, no fans then some fans in some stadiums then none at all, rule changes and match day squad size changes and the quick turn around between seasons.

If you do win it it’ll be 21*, if we do it’ll be 20*. Same for City, Leicester etc.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool couldn't sustain their output and it shows. It's on full display. The way they turned draws into 3 points was insane because they pumped long balls and crosses into opposition boxes at a relentless pace. This year that pace has reduced and the effectiveness has waned. Back to some type of normalcy. TAA and Robertson are fullbacks for a reason because if their overall football talent and skills were better, in addition to their delivery, they wouldn't be fullbacks.

It's only been four league matches but right now no team can afford consecutive games without a win. It's only 6 points behind United and plenty of time to cover the ground, but they are in a massive attacking rut (long may it continue). There's enough service to get a goal or two like we've seen today, but then their forwards are off the boil at the same time their fullback's cannot provide enough quality. They miss Jota more than VVD.

Klopp has to decide if he's going to change his team for a 3rd time or stick with what he's got...Gegenpress (counter-press), Press + Direct Longballs/Crossing, ?
What do you have against fullbacks?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Ole
Jose
Moyes

His next 3 games. You couldn't make this up really, United lives in his head :lol:

Sir Alex Ferguson bribed the FA.
C O R R U P T.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
You know whoever wins it this year will have a bigger ‘*’ than last season right?

We could’ve stopped playing football after the first lockdown started and still would’ve been crowned champions.

This season you’ve got players missing due to COVID, fixture disruption, no fans then some fans in some stadiums then none at all, rule changes and match day squad size changes and the quick turn around between seasons.

If you do win it it’ll be 21*, if we do it’ll be 20*. Same for City, Leicester etc.
For some yes like city who had a break in the current schedule, if United win it, this years league would be worth 2 just for the fact we have played nearly every 4 days since the second week of December to the 2nd week of February.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
For some yes like city who had a break in the current schedule, if United win it, this years league would be worth 2 just for the fact we have played nearly every 4 days since the second week of December to the 2nd week of February.
That doesn’t change anything I listed in my post. Whoever wins this title has a * next to it. United included.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The main problem is obviously the manager and their front three. The manager doesn't seem to have plan B while the front three are drying up, one or two of them need to be dropped or sold or replaced in the summer. I'm assuming it's part of football team/squad where you can't keep relying on the same front two (playing 442) or front three for way too long. The front three have been playing together for almost four years at their peak, sooner and later, opposition teams will or have figure out how to play against them. Also not easy to maintain consistency at your peak for so long. This is why Keane rated Giggs much higher than Liverpool's front three, to maintain the consistency in a top level is not easy.

city-puma

Jamie Carragher is insane. He’s saying pool may finish outside the top 4. Football world is truly amazing. One can loose the faith so quickly and be so negative in mind in just a few weeks.