Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotherham_red

Remember all the wailing and gnashing of teeth when the deal didn't go through? So many people saying this was our one and only shot etc.

Bit silly wasn't it?

Looking at the situation logically, it should have been obvious that what was going to happen was us going back in for him. Especially since we weren't exactly going for permanent solutions to the RW when the deal finally fell through last summer.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Some fans are happy with signing Sancho and yet have also said that Ole should get sacked because he is not successful enough.

If they got what they want like they did with the Mourinho’s or the potential Conte like manager - do they think we would go after a Sancho? Seems like a player that makes a lot of the United fans happy.

Andy_Cole

Remember all the wailing and gnashing of teeth when the deal didn't go through? So many people saying this was our one and only shot etc.

Bit silly wasn't it?

Looking at the situation logically, it should have been obvious that what was going to happen was us going back in for him. Especially since we weren't exactly going for permanent solutions to the RW when the deal finally fell through last summer.
We’ve got away with it. But we did take the risk of another club gazumping us to Sancho.

Judas

Open to offers

Bit silly wasn't it?

Those people were idiots. They're the same clowns claiming he'd cost 150m this summer :lol: it was obvious and logical to think he'd cost around the same, more likely less this year. But whinging moaners can't help themselves.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Is that good or bad though as ya know we've had him for a season less than we could of. Is not having him last season worth the saving?
I don't think having him for the season that just concluded would have made that much of a difference. We would still have finished second.

rotherham_red

Tweet aside, was this the bloke that had some sort of issue with United last year? I can’t really remember what it was but he went on a radio show and had a massive rant about something which was United related
Yeah, he's one of those football journalists who think they somehow know the game better than the actual coaches who hold UEFA pro licences. As a result, he doesn't think much of Ole and the job he's done at Utd.

I don't think he even knows the square root of FA in this matter though. He doesn't really have links to Utd or Dortmund.

Where I would take his opinion seriously however, is on Pogba. He is well connected to the French squad and UK-based French/Francophone players.

Lemansky

Looks like waiting a year has saved the club €30m.
If we payed their “asking price” last season we would be taken for a ride on future transfers also. We need to get rid of the impression that we are fools in the transfer market, and show we are prepared to walk away from deals.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We’ve got away with it. But we did take the risk of another club gazumping us to Sancho.
I'd like to think if the club knew we weren't the only horse in the race or that Sancho didn't just have eyes for us they'd of handled things differently alas they knew we held all the cards with this one

rotherham_red

Those people were idiots. They're the same clowns claiming he'd cost 150m this summer :lol: it was obvious and logical to think he'd cost around the same, more likely less this year. But whinging moaners can't help themselves.
Mate, you don't have to tell me :lol:

The only doubt I had with this deal was in the latter half of the season as there didn't seem to be any murmurings whatsoever, whereas the season before the whispers were there as early as January, and were sustained all the way through the summer.

In the end, I think us not spending the 120m was the right decision. It didn't cost us Top 4 (another thing a lot of the teeth gnashers were crying about) and we're getting a c.25m-30m discount on the fee. Though I'd say it was more by luck and circumstance rather than planning.

charlenefan

I don't think having him for the season that just concluded would have made that much of a difference. We would still have finished second.
I don't disagree but does that mean neither of us actually expect him to significantly improve us this season either then? :nervous:

Judas

Open to offers
Think we get out of the CL group and have more points in the league. Ultimately he might have helped us win a domestic cup. Sancho doesn't fix everything for us, we desperately need work in the midfield and at CB to really see a huge difference.

norse

If we payed their “asking price” last season we would be taken for a ride on future transfers also. We need to get rid of the impression that we are fools in the transfer market, and show we are prepared to walk away from deals.
It didn’t have anything to do with "walking away" from a deal to prove a point. The club couldn’t afford it last year.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He doesn't seem to have much insight on this one. I saw him on ESPN today saying something like this and it's more a reflection of sentiment that's coming out of the media as a whole rather than him having some news to share.

rotherham_red

No we didn't. Read my post hyperlinked below:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/jad...rtmund-for-now.445165/page-1133#post-26096632

And lo and behold, it's turned out almost exactly as I said it would. As it would have done for anyone who looked at the situation logically.

You don't put in the effort we did with the player, getting him fully on board with the prospect of joining us and playing with players he's genuinely admired and looked up to like Rashford and Pogba, and let it all go to waste. Especially when we were willing to spend what we will ultimately spend. Dortmund were not going to look that gift horse in the mouth, and we weren't going to leave a talent like Sancho in the lurch and have it ultimately cost us if he went to a domestic rival.

Just like the Sane to Bayern deal, the player made it known that he was only ever going to go to one club and that club will ultimately get it's wish, even if it took an extra year to get the deal over the line.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No we didn't. Read my post hyperlinked below:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/jad...rtmund-for-now.445165/page-1133#post-26096632

And lo and behold, it's turned out almost exactly as I said it would. As it would have done for anyone who looked at the situation logically.

You don't put in the effort we did with the player, getting him fully on board with the prospect of joining us and playing with players he's genuinely admired and looked up to like Rashford and Pogba, and let it all go to waste. Especially when we were willing to spend what we will ultimately spend. Dortmund were not going to look that gift horse in the mouth, and we weren't going to leave a talent like Sancho in the lurch and have it ultimately cost us if he went to a domestic rival.

Just like the Sane to Bayern deal, the player made it known that he was only ever going to go to one club and that club will ultimately get it's wish, even if it took an extra year to get the deal over the line.
Except we have done the ground work before only for a player to go to another club. Just because it didnt happen on this occasion doesnt mean it wasn’t a possibility and others clubs didnt try. Good thing is Sancho really wants to come here else we could have been in trouble with this transfer this summer

rotherham_red

Except we have done the ground work before only for a player to go to another club. Just because it didnt happen on this occasion doesnt mean it wasn’t a possibility and others clubs didnt try. Good thing is Sancho really wants to come here else we could have been in trouble with this transfer this summer
Not to the extent that we did with Sancho, and not while we have had Ole here. Say what you want about him, but when he feels he has the right player targeted, he's more than willing to bide his time and get his man. He did it with Bruno, he carried Jose's baton for Maguire, and he's now by most accounts, going to do it with Sancho.

EDIT - Also, read my post. The reasons why the prospect of us getting gazumped were remote are laid out clearly.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't disagree but does that mean neither of us actually expect him to significantly improve us this season either then? :nervous:
I think he would improve us significantly. He's a proper player. However, our biggest issue is in midfield.

charlenefan

I think he would improve us significantly. He's a proper player. However, our biggest issue is in midfield.
just not enough to impact league position;):lol:

i know what you mean though

Toddler

Tweet aside, was this the bloke that had some sort of issue with United last year? I can’t really remember what it was but he went on a radio show and had a massive rant about something which was United related
I think it was him ranting about how inefficient we are/have been with transfers and how badly we are run. Did not disagree with him.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
So in the end after all these fecking weeks we pay what they want.
We brought the price down from 100 million Euros + bonuses (down from 120 million Euros + bonuses last summer) to 90 million Euros + 5 million Euros in bonuses. Even the bonuses were dropped in totality due to these negotiations. We probably tried to see if we could drop their price even further, but with their rejections, I think 90 + 5 is the lowest that they'd go.

Infestissumam

So, when this signing finally happens, what does it mean for Amad for the new season cos to me he looks good enough to be a starter?
I honestly don't think this has that big of an influence on Amad, they'll continue to nurture his development and slowly phase him in. We'll simply have great depth on the wings, I think it'll be more of a problem for the likes of Dan James.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
It's almost as if the longer a player is still under contract, the higher his fee tends to be. Weird.

Withnail

So, when this signing finally happens, what does it mean for Amad for the new season cos to me he looks good enough to be a starter?
I don't think he's ready to be first choice for Man Utd for a whole season. He needs to bulk up and last season for us he got more senior playing time than he ever got in Italy.

He looks quality but is unproven. 15 - 20 appearances next season will do him the world of good.

Spoony

The People's President
Spotted on Deansgate. Apparently he was drinking a coffee from Grindhouse. He's a United player or he likes walking down Deansgate. Take your pick.

BaillyBaillyBailly

I don't disagree that we would still have finished in the same place. I just wonder whether the value of him having a full season with United could have meant he could kick on even more in the coming season. It usually takes players a while to adjust to the EPL. Remember Sancho is English but has never played EPL football so you can't expect him to turn up and be performing right away.

If he was E110million last summeer and E95million this summer then is that difference worth the relative impact he could be making this season. I'm not saying it is or isn't, I'm just saying that it could.

I also think our board has a huge tendency to worry about a few million here or there on transfers (I'm not for one minute saying millions of pounds is nothing). In the grand scheme of things though getting these players in early doors in the summer gives them a chance of a full pre-season with the squad which I personally think is probably worth around £5million for any first team player rather than getting them in on deadline day and trying to throw them in at the deep end.

Status
Not open for further replies.