5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzle

Greenwood is absolutely rapid so no surprise he's not as fast.
Greenwood is Arguably the fastest player in the squad both with and without the ball.
I didn't think Greenwood was particularly fast although he did have an explosive 5 yards on him. However, this season he seems noticeably faster. Properly rapid over short and long distances.

The Siege

The rest of the team have been playing together for a while now, and they still look like they met at the practice pitch for the first time ever on Friday and have no idea how to play alongside each other. No surprise that no one's on Sancho's wavelength and can't read his intentions. Aside from Pogba passing to Bruno, not a single attack from our side looked smooth and structurally intentional.

hungrywing

He’s never impressed for England either though. Maybe it’s not that he’s struggling to adjust outside Bundesliga, and instead he just found a very happy home in Dortmund?
At this rate we might end up needing to invent a word for the Kagawa-Mkhitaryan-Sancho effect.

It was strange that he didnt even try to take on a man or two (even if it ended up with him losing the ball). He maybe tried it once (which I cant remember) but you would at least want him to try. Instead it was very safe and not memorable.

He will take time so hopefully others can help. Id rather see him on the right mostlyl and trying to link up with AWB then changing all the time.
There was someone posting about how anyone who watched him at Dortmund knew he pretty much never took people on from a standstill. "Great dribbler, but not from a standstill," was his/her point.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
At this rate we might end up needing to invent a word for the Kagawa-Mkhitaryan-Sancho effect.

There was someone posting about how anyone who watched him at Dortmund knew he pretty much never took people on from a standstill. "Great dribbler, but not from a standstill," was his/her point.

First 2 and half mins is about his dribbling, acceleration and how he takes on players from stand still.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Executed the game plan very well (pass it to Shaw).
I am not worried yet, it was a very difficult game - Wolves were creating a lot of chances so forwards were scared to lose the ball.

Drainy

He was dawdling on the ball a bit, but could have done with some help since he was being pressed so aggressively.

Bruno probably should have 10/15 yards dropped deeper and to the left to help out.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
This thread is absolutely horrific. He was awful today but he's also a 21 year old coming from a different league who's played 100 minutes of Premier League football. But we should've signed Adama Traore who has the worst footballing brain in the Prem or Saint-Maximin instead :houllier: I feel sorry for some of your mates who have to listen to you spout this drivel during games.
We can’t be surprised by the drivel spouted in here anymore. Sancho will be a quality signing.

roonster09

Scout
I hope "Sancho can't take on players from stand still position" myth isn't taken as some factual statement.

His performance vs Sevilla, in a single game he took on players from stand still position at least 5 times and that's against a good team.

00:22 - He slows down to 0 and then takes on players
00:28 - taking on players from stand still
00:36 - takes on player from stand still
01:28 - takes on player from stand still
01:32 - takes on player from stand still

Lights Out

Do posts like this get flagged by moderators? maybe this guy never should be allowed to be in the main forum
Oh don’t be so fecking pompous

People in here are making excuses saying too much is being expected and it’s the fault of the team around him. Ridiculous.

This isn’t a kid that’s just come through the ranks and has just made his debut. He isn’t even somebody that we’ve just taken a punt on. We have spent over £70m on him! So, yes, maybe there is a certain degree of expectation that hasn’t been realised so far. Not even really a glimpse to be honest.

I agree with the comments regarding Havertz so it’s a good case to argue to give him time but people should be allowed to say if they’re underwhelmed without some fascist little lackey running to moderators.

Varun

Staff
Obviously it's too soon to be calling him Jaded Shitshow but a disappointing performance, a bit like his England games.

I'm sure he will come good though, may take some time. Perhaps not a regular starter just yet.
It'll always be too soon for that if you want to post here long term.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
With Greenwood and Rashford playing on the wings. That's the level of competition at this club now.
Good problems to have. Shame we don’t have any competition in midfield, though.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He needs time. Also now understand why Southgate preferred others to him. He isn't ready yet. Above all, Wolves wasn't the best place to start. Should have started against Newcastle at home. People forget he is only 21.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Wolves were excellent yesterday, and bar a few, we were distinctly average (to be kind).

Sancho has barely played 90 mins in total yet, absolutely no need to be worried.

He may need to adapt (understandable/to be expected), and we may see the best of him in Europe this season.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
How many players actually impress for England? Very few. Think this is a very unfair assumption after a handful of matches.
Yeah agreed it would be an unfair assumption, it was more an open question. It’s a question I’ve had from before we even bought him.

It’s obvious that Dortmund are better at playing as a team than we are, lots of combination play, co-ordinated movement, cohesive attacking units, all that stuff. And it’s clear that the Bundesliga plays more high tempo, high pressing football than the Premier League, where lots of space opens up if you can break through it. That’s where Sancho has excelled.

We’re better than England at playing on the counter, but we’re still not great at the quick one-touch football that Sancho loves. That was the case when we bought Kagawa and Mkhitaryan too. Sancho is more talented and versatile than them both so he’ll be able to adapt better, but I’ve never understood the assumption he’ll thrive here. Either he would need to evolve a lot or the team would need to evolve a lot because they don’t seem like a great fit to me at the moment.

His main problem right now is mental. Things aren’t as easy for him so he’s become a bit timid. I think Ronaldo will come, puff out his chest and give players like Sancho that necessary boost. But I think there’s a lot to work out after that.

Bondi77

So finally Sancho Day arrived and he had his first start for us in a competitive game and now he knows what he will be up against regarding physicality and work rate and this ain’t no farmers league.
I like the young man and I hope he relishes the challenge and embraces what it takes to succeed in England.

hungrywing

First 2 and half mins is about his dribbling, acceleration and how he takes on players from stand still.
Hmm. Not sure about that from that video. In fact, they seem to be implying that he didn't have much success until he started not trying it as much. IIRC the other guy wasn't saying he can't. He was saying he doesn't. Big difference, and one that would jibe with the message from that first part of the video.

It would also jibe with at least what we saw yesterday. You could tell the ball-manipulation ability was there. He would try it, see that he was locked down, and recycle possession.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
There was a moment yesterday where he picked it up deep left, dribbled past a few players, played the right pass into Bruno, ball worked it's way to the right, Sancho drifted and found space on the edge of the area, he received it and again played a nice tight pass into James and eventually the ball got to Fred who passed it to Traore and Wolves were 2 on 2 on the attack.

Point being, he made a good dribble and the right pass twice instead of a speculative shot or just running into a crowd. Not a sleight on James, but if Sancho is playing that pass to Ronaldo or Greenwood, it becomes a more dangerous pass.

Is one moment enough? No, obviously. But a 21 year old made his first start at a ground where we've struggled the last 4 or 5 years against a team who packed their defence and we won. Support and patience from us, familiarity and cohesion with his team. That's what he needs.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
The Manager has to be demanding more from his players, He's got to do that with Sancho, Scream at him to take people on, players who can dribble sometimes need to be encouraged to dribble and run at people.

There's this articles of Micha Richards, talking about playing in a Mancherster derby, he said something that clarified why Sir Alex was such a great Manager, He said Sir Alex was Screaming at Giggs to take him(Richards) on or He was going to be spending time on the bench with him, that inspired Giggs to run at him more non stop.

I think Sancho needs to be fearless like Adama was today, get on the ball turn and run at people with intent. as much as we've been critical of Rashy what I've always liked about him is his running at people fearlessly.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Sadly for him, but good for us is that he doesnt have a lot of time to find some form. The competition for the attacking spots at United are miles high. Every player has to work their ass of to deserve a spot in the starting lineup. When Rashford is back in a couple of weeks (by the looks of it) he will be a serious contender for the LW. Pogba is as well when Mctominay is back. Greenwood is undropable and should continue to play at the RW, and Ronaldo of course takes the ST.

I can see a very frustrating year for Sancho unfortunately with a lot of cameo appearances in the league.

roonster09

Scout
Hmm. Not sure about that from that video. In fact, they seem to be implying that he didn't have much success until he started not trying it as much. IIRC the other guy wasn't saying he can't. He was saying he doesn't. Big difference, and one that would jibe with the message from that first part of the video.

It would also jibe with at least what we saw yesterday. You could tell the ball-manipulation ability was there. He would try it, see that he was locked down, and recycle possession.
No it says how much he has improved and instead of taking extra touches, he takes on the players with more direct approach (obviously not all the time) started playing more one twos, picks his moments to cross instead of blindly crossing when attacker is outnumbers by huge margin.

In that video, they have said multiple times (along with proof) how good his acceleration is and how quick he is. Something other poster said he lacks.

I have posted his performance vs Sevila, check how many times he took on defenders from standing still position.

Player won't end up as one of the top dribblers in almost every season in top 5 leagues if he doesn't or wouldn't take on players from standing still position or lacks good acceleration.

hungrywing

No it says how much he has improved and instead of taking extra touches, he takes on the players with more direct approach (obviously not all the time) started playing more one twos, picks his moments to cross instead of blindly crossing when attacker is outnumbers by huge margin.

In that video, they have said multiple times (along with proof) how good his acceleration is and how quick he is. Something other poster said he lacks.

I have posted his performance vs Sevila, check how many times he took on defenders from standing still position.

Player won't end up as one of the top dribblers in almost every season in top 5 leagues if he doesn't or wouldn't take on players from standing still position or lacks good acceleration.
The bolded part also jibes with what that other poster was implying.

Anyways, he looked tentative when he tried dribbling yesterday. Like brwned (and probably five thousand other caftards) said, he looks a bit 'is this going to work here (in the PL) too?/is the PL really a different beast?'

roonster09

Scout
The bolded part also jibes with what that other poster was implying.

Anyways, he looked tentative when he tried dribbling yesterday. Like brwned (and probably five thousand other caftards) said, he looks a bit 'is this going to work here (in the PL) too?/is the PL really a different beast?'
No it doesn't. The comparison was Sancho's first season (when he was 17-18) with Sancho's 2019-20 season. Sancho's first season is not relevant now.

Bobski

I think people saw the numbers and a few highlights and imagined him to be a different player than he is. He is not going to be out on the wing, beating players for fun, it is all quick dribble, pass, move into space,1-2 and picking good options. I think he can an excellent foil for the likes of Rashford and Greenwood, being a steady supply of chances for them, but he is not a wow player at first glance.

However we saw yesterday in Traore a guy who is that Wow player but actually accomplishes very little, Sancho should be grand when he settles, I think Ole is going to have to make the call to play him almost exclusively on the right, with Pogba, Ronaldo and Rashford to come that left side will get crowded.

Josh 76

He will be ok after a few months. The German league is nothing like the PL. We have found that out with previous players.

I did think he was way over rated by the media and I can only remember one England game where he has played well. (Ukraine 4-0).

just have to be patient with him.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maybe southgate was right????

On a serious note, people judging a player after 100 minutes is absolutely hilarious. It's surprising people do that all the time, even when a similar example (Havertz) has proven so many wrong in recent history. All those doubters should calm down and show a minimal but required amount of patience. My toddler has more patience than some people in this thread.

Edit:
Also, Sancho is kind of known to be a little bit underwhelming in the first half of the season. Many here have no idea what player Man Utd bought, I think.
I think majority people who don’t follow BL football closely is abit unsure of him. He has been largely underwhelming for England and for us. Personally I have yet to see him play a good game (which justify his hype) outside of Germany.

hungrywing

No it doesn't. The comparison was Sancho's first season (when he was 17-18) with Sancho's 2019-20 season. Sancho's first season is not relevant now.
Aren't all of those 'look at the first 2:30 how he can beat people off the dribble from a standstill' examples from the 17-18 season? If so, then the examples you cited to support your argument are "not relative now?"

Anyways, one of the things he or she was saying was that Sancho doesn't really beat people from a standstill (the implication being that he wasn't like Nani (IIRC that was one of his/her examples), consistently trying to beat his man over a yard and then either whipping in a cross or drawing a defender to exploit space.)

One of the things the video is saying is that he got more effective once he stopped trying to beat everyone from a standstill and used his dribbling ability to add 'knocks ball past opponent' to his game.

Those two things aren't unrelated. They are also not in opposition to your 'Sancho can beat players from a standstill who's saying he can't' which no one seems to be saying. Does not vs cannot. Two very different things.

The other guy is saying something very similar to what this person says in the bolded part:

I think people saw the numbers and a few highlights and imagined him to be a different player than he is. He is not going to be out on the wing, beating players for fun, it is all quick dribble, pass, move into space,1-2 and picking good options. I think he can an excellent foil for the likes of Rashford and Greenwood, being a steady supply of chances for them, but he is not a wow player at first glance.

However we saw yesterday in Traore a guy who is that Wow player but actually accomplishes very little, Sancho should be grand when he settles, I think Ole is going to have to make the call to play him almost exclusively on the right, with Pogba, Ronaldo and Rashford to come that left side will get crowded.
There are an awful lot of you guys/gals pointing that part out.

@Brwned I think he could be a great free-kick winner around the box if he could adjust to being tackled more. And if he shows that bravery and initiative, it should actually make defenders more scared to tackle him , which should open things up. He did look tentative yesterday, plus your argument about us needing to play more fluid football for him to 'slot right in'.

Loon

:lol:
Dan James was off the a flyer. On the other hand, Patrice Evra would never have kicked a ball after his debut. Let's give the guy a chance.

roonster09

Scout
Aren't all of those 'look at the first 2:30 how he can beat people off the dribble from a standstill' examples from the 17-18 season? If so, then the examples you cited to support your argument are "not relative now?"

Anyways, one of the things he or she was saying was that Sancho doesn't really beat people from a standstill (the implication being that he wasn't like Nani (IIRC that was one of his/her examples), consistently trying to beat his man over a yard and then either whipping in a cross or drawing a defender to exploit space.)

One of the things the video is saying is that he got more effective once he stopped trying to beat everyone from a standstill and used his dribbling ability to add 'knocks ball past opponent' to his game.

Those two things aren't unrelated. They are also not in opposition to your 'Sancho can beat players from a standstill who's saying he can't' which no one seems to be saying. Does not vs cannot. Two very different things.

The other guy is saying something very similar to what this person says in the bolded part:
No, it's the examples from 2019-19 and2019-20 season and compared how much he had improved from his debut season. In his debut season he was making few mistakes which he worked on and improved in 2019-20 season (at least as per the Bundesliga video). It's a video to compare how 20 year old Sancho has improved since his debut.

Yes, knocks the ball past opponent from standing position, something that was said he can't/won't.

I don't think anyone argued he will be hug-line winger beating players with pace. You can beat players with good acceleration without being a touchline hugging winger, every good inside forward does that and they don't hug touchline. The argument was he lacks acceleration so he can't (or won't) take on players from standing still position, which is clearly wrong.

Looks like people are adding different points from different posts to argue something else.

Last edited:

KennyBurner

Greenwood is rapid!
He is fast but not that fast.
Greenwood is absolutely rapid so no surprise he's not as fast.
Greenwood is Arguably the fastest player in the squad both with and without the ball.
This is just plain wrong. He is not rashford level of fast where he will beat a man consistently after kicking the ball past him.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

This is just plain wrong. He is not rashford level of fast where he will beat a man consistently after kicking the ball past him.
Greenwood is quick mate, and he looks even quicker this season. Look at his goal v Leeds and also the sprint that forced the save yesterday. Seems weird to use Greenwood as someone you'd measure pace against, as its not big thing not being as quick as him.

GMoore23

He could do that if he wanted but he's got so much more to his game than that.
He rarely needs to try the kick and run thing.
He's faster with the ball at his feet than Rashford, has better control and I personally believe he's now faster without the ball also.

the_cliff

I think Sancho was being a bit too safe with the ball, it also didn't help that Wolves are a very solid team with a shape that's hard to break down. If you watched their first 3 fixtures they were unlucky not to win in all of them (especially the spurs one) and all 3 teams were really struggling to break them down. A tough fixture for a player who's known for taking a while to get into form and full match fitness so I'm not really that worried.

DoomSlayer

What a clueless post, Greenwood has been leaving defenders in the dust on a regular basis.

bondsname

I was never on the Sancho hype train, I do have my reservations about him. So far he hasn’t impressed.

Hopefully he just need some games to adjust and then he’ll tear shite up.

Status
Not open for further replies.