5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Grimes

The players starting ahead of him aren't exactly nobodies.
The same players were there last season. Why was he bought if not to give us something different? This is all with Rashford not yet back in the team. Are we really saying its acceptable to give a player with his credentials a few games and decide he's not good enough and is now a bench option?
I actually thought he played well v West Ham in the 2nd half last week( after a poor 1st half).

BalanceUnAutreJoint

The same players were there last season. Why was he bought if not to give us something different? This is all with Rashford not yet back in the team. Are we really saying its acceptable to give a player with his credentials a few games and decide he's not good enough and is now a bench option?
I actually thought he played well v West Ham in the 2nd half last week( after a poor 1st half).
I'm saying a 75M pricetag means nothing, players like Ronaldo,Bruno,Pogba,Rashford are all more established than he is.
And Greenwood would be well worth that price in today's market too
I do agree it's way too early to say he's not up to par though. He's barely even played.

Frank Grimes

I'm saying a 75M pricetag means nothing, players like Ronaldo,Bruno,Pogba,Rashford are all more established than he is.
And Greenwood would be well worth that price in today's market too
I do agree it's way too early to say he's not up to par though. He's barely even played.
I'd play Sancho over an out of position Pogba any day of the week.I' d play Pogba in the middle and bench the useless Mctominay.

Also I disagree that a 75m price tag means nothing. If you spend that much money surely you know that he is going to be your 1st choice in a position for the coming year. At least giving a 10 match run to show his worth. Otherwise it demonstrates a lack of any coherent plan.

redshaw

Bit early for people at Dortmund to be chiming in, especially so seeing how unfit and poor he was for the start of last season. He seems to be in a similar thing plus has been ill and had covid no? Also there's settling back down after moving, getting to know your team mates. At least give it a few months.

Nicolarra90

Slower Dan James, you're just a slower Dan James!

Bite

Well he's actually playing as a slower Dan James right now, but will improve...right?

Lee565

Technical Players like him and van der beek are going to suffer under a manager like ole as they are the type of players that excel within a good set up system (ajax, dortmund) but ole has no system

Tony247

After crying for proper RW for years we get one...for 70m. And then he is "unable to adapt".

I just hope he will not go VdB route.

Kaos

Technical Players like him and van der beek are going to suffer under a manager like ole as they are the type of players that excel within a good set up system (ajax, dortmund) but ole has no system
Yep. Someone here was spot one when they said Adama Traore is more of an Ole type winger - just quick and direct.

We need an rvn

After crying for proper RW for years we get one...for 70m. And then he is "unable to adapt".

I just hope he will not go VdB route.
He's been played out on the left most of the time, so that's one issue. I know he played there for Dortmund occasionally, but he was most effective on the right and I was under the belief that's where we wanted him to play.

But that's purely down to Ole and his tactics

Teja

Greenwood was pretty bad last season and only picked up form towards the end of the season. Even if we expected him to do as well as he's doing on the right, I think the expectation for this season was to rotate him between CF / RW as needed giving space for Sancho both RW / LW.

All that changed when we signed Ronaldo - Greenwood can only play on the right now and he's doing very well there, so the only spot available is LW.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

He's been played out on the left most of the time, so that's one issue. I know he played there for Dortmund occasionally, but he was most effective on the right and I was under the belief that's where we wanted him to play.

Greenwood started in good form on the right and Pogba also on the left so Sancho has to earn his spot, it's not purely down to Ole's tactics.

The Kag

Statistically, it's the opposite.

For example, in the last two Bundesliga seasons the winger spent most of his time playing on the left wing but then spent the 2018/19 season playing on the right flank.
For example, when we look at the goals he scored on either wing we find that Sancho averaged 0.41 goals per 90 minutes on the right wing and 0.58 per 90 on the left wing. Which suggests he’s notably more comfortable taking shots on goal when he cuts in from the left.
Intriguingly, while the difference is far smaller, the Man Utd signing also performed better on the left flank for assists too, with 0.67 per 90 compared to 0.62 per 90 when he was played on the right wing.

In total, that means Sancho averaged 1.03 goals and assists per 90 on the right wing for Dortmund and 1.25 per 90 on the left wing. And while that may not seem like a whole lot, that extra 0.22 per 90 could mean an extra seven or eight goals or assists across a league campaign.

LoneStar

Statistically, it's the opposite.
Wow, so we signed yet another LW, who can sort of play RW. That's great.

I agree he's shown nothing so far for a 75M signing, but give him a bit more time. He seems completely out of sync with the rest of the teams currently. And our "free" attacking style doesn't exactly help.

peridigm

All this arguing will be moot in a couple weeks when Rashford returns to the starting lineup. Pogba will return to MF and Sancho will be a super sub.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I think it’s fair for me to say I think he has been poor so far for us, but he has the ability to be a top player.

This is where I really hope we are coaching him in a way that allows him to improve his game and be more of a threat.

He has good dribbling ability, especially in tight quarters, and I would love to see him develop the ability (and confidence) to take on and beat players more frequently.

He has been very reserved for us so far, almost like he is most concerned with no making a mistake.

I want to see him impose himself on the team over the coming months. When I’ve watched him play live, I’ve kept a close eye on his off the ball movement, and I think this is an area he needs to work on. I want to see him make himself more available and put himself in positions where he can exploit the gaps in defence.

red_de_pologne

Villareal is a perfect game for him, when quick one touch play is needed to unlock the low block. Hope to see Pogba in the midfield with Matic (or one of McFred) and Sancho on the left.

largelyworried

We have to bite the bullet and play this guy, even if he’s not in the best of form now. You can’t keep waiting and waiting for some perfect moment. It’s the VDB situation all over again, we try to ease him but all of a sudden it’s Xmas, every game is high pressure and the stakes are too high to go with a player with no first team fitness or form. So he sits on the bench all season. If we want him available as an option he needs game time to get up to speed.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
We have to bite the bullet and play this guy, even if he’s not in the best of form now. You can’t keep waiting and waiting for some perfect moment. It’s the VDB situation all over again, we try to ease him but all of a sudden it’s Xmas, every game is high pressure and the stakes are too high to go with a player with no first team fitness or form. So he sits on the bench all season. If we want him available as an option he needs game time to get up to speed.
I agree. He's our solution to our inability to attack from the right.

Greenwood - AWB just doesn't work. but I'd imagine Greenwood would do better with Shaw and Sancho with AWB. We should consider benching Pogba.

But "Sancho/VDB haven't shown anything!" - yes, because they're not first choice and they feel it.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Bought him for 73m after Chasing him for three seasons, but now he can't even get in the side.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Bought him for 73m after Chasing him for three seasons, but now he can't even get in the side.
We are literally only 6 games into the league. And he has appeared in 5 of them. Give it some time ffs.

HailtotheKing

This is what I fear too. But regardless, at least he will be here long after Ole. VDB, I'm not so sure.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Would love to see him and VDB playing this evening. We know what we're up against, the 'unlockers' are crucial.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
You keep banging on about Sancho. 6 games in, get a grip for feck sake.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Wolves and Young Boys on the right. Awful in both. West Ham x 2 (I think?) and Newcastle on the left and a fair bit better.
He was hooked off after the red vs Young Boys and was not awful whatsoever. He was still bedding in vs Wolves and no, he did not start in the league vs West Ham. Carbao cup was with a bunch of second string fodders so its very difficult to make an impact. Plus im quite sure i saw him work the left channel a lot in that game.

Villarreal should be a perfect matchup for him in theory. Facing up against Foyth and Albiol, both lacking agility and turning speed. Sancho's body feints and quick feet should give them a lot of problems.

Man Utd 2:1 Villarreal

johannes_fd

He's played in a club with a brilliant offence & system, while here he's in a club who relies more on individual brilliance than an actual style of play. Still think he's gonna become a great addition eventually.

Bobski

Much better attacking showing, backed himself more often.

However, he is utterly appalling defensively, unacceptably so. Has to develop that side of his game.

chris123

Thought he was our best attacking player in the first half. Didn't deserve to be subbed off. The "sancho continues to struggle" headlines are laughable.

Holocene

Played well in the first half. He's making clear progress with every game and you can see his confidence is starting to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.