5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BerryBerryShrew

He is the only player in our squad that I have any faith in and the only player I rate as being good enough to play a prominent part in a title winning team. Yes I'm dead serious. I think he's quality
Agreed. He's the least of my concerns right now.

Skills

Snitch
When the going gets tough he just does not wanna know. Has bags of natural talent buy really not sure he's got the heart for it. Would probably look incredible at City/Liverpool, but doesn't seem a player up for a scrap.
I don't think he plays with the intensity to play for either. Especially Liverpool who are so direct

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
This guy is fast becoming a bit of a nothing player. Trossard and Gross looked a cut above him today

£74m is looking like a huge huge error. He can't beat a man and he looks very slow and ponderous with everything he does.

DarkXaero

There's definitely quality present in him but he was really poor today, and didn't get as much crap for it as the other players did. We desperately need him to be our best, most consistent attacking player, someone capable of reaching world class status. That's why days like today are very disappointing.

Skills

Snitch
Technically he's a good player, but there's just something that's just really off about him. It's hard to describe. He's never really positioned to cause any kind of damage - it's strange. It's like with his first touch the ball gets trapped underneath his feet, and he can't get it out quick enough to take on his man, play a cross or take a shot.

Strange footballer.

el3mel

He is the only player in our squad that I have any faith in and the only player I rate as being good enough to play a prominent part in a title winning team. Yes I'm dead serious. I think he's quality
He's not really worthy of this truth though.

AndySmith1990

He's not really worthy of this truth though.
I believe he is. He was fantastic for Dortmund, and I've no doubt he'd be fantastic if he were at Liverpool or City playing in a hard working, fast paced and highly motivated team. I also believe you could slot Messi into our team and he'd look useless. This team is so poor it saps the energy and motivation out of players and fans alike. No one wants to be a part of this mess.

el3mel

I believe he is. He was fantastic for Dortmund, and I've no doubt he'd be fantastic if he were at Liverpool or City playing in a hard working, fast paced and highly motivated team. I also believe you could slot Messi into our team and he'd look useless. This team is so poor it saps the energy and motivation out of players and fans alike. No one wants to be a part of this mess.
Fantastic for BvB means nothing for the Premier League.

He was an academy player at City when he left to BvB and Pep didn't seem that much fussed about him choosing to leave, and didn't seem that interested either in bringing him back later on.

Ekeke

Thiago is hardly Bundesliga material, cut his teeth at Barca and was already world class by the time he moved. Matip was a bit crap for several seasons and was displaced by Joe Gomez. Only recently came good (towards the end of last season?)
So all good at top prem teams? wow

Stacks

This place is slightly ridiculous. When you try explaining that preseason was not something to go overboard about, and that he's not our best player and was average last year with plenty to prove, you're a naysayer. Even though that seems to me a state of affairs that is perfectly obvious.

Now he has one bad game where he didn't actually get much of the ball in a poor team performance and apparently he's crap.

Let's calm down eh, give it 10 games at least...
This is the best response
what they say below
So what are his qualities based on which people still believe he's a top player who's gonna make it here ? He looks like an absolutely nothing player and this is not a knee jerk reaction, this is based on what we have seen last season when the excuse was Ole and now when the excuse are the players. Really ? Does he need to play with world class players all over the pitch to make even a slight impact ? Because right now his impact is absolutely 0.

Put a championship player in prime Barcelona's team from 2009 and from 20 touches he will create 1 or 2 chances, so please stop using this "team is crap" non-sense as an excuse. If he can only play with Hakimi making runs on the right and Haaland scoring goals for fun in the Bundesliga then it means he's not really a top player, he's a system player who benefited from playing with (arguably) the best right back and best striker in world football. He may never get to play with that kind of players again, he needs to make an impact right now, with the players that we have. If he can't do it, not even against teams like Brighton who with all the respect, they are a very respectable team which I have tons of admiration for (but that's another discussion), then excuse me but he's nothing more than another really expensive flop.
He is nothing like Liverpool forwards and would bomb hard. City just signed a 100m guy who is probably better than him and he is not looking too great so please get off this BS that "if such and such played for our rivals" ignoring that our rivals also churn through players as they don't all make it

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Fantastic for BvB means nothing for the Premier League.

He was an academy player at City when he left to BvB and Pep didn't seem that much fussed about him choosing to leave, and didn't seem that interested either in bringing him back later on.
I think this whole league thing is complete nonsense. The PL is not any more difficult to play in comparison to other leagues. What are far more important factors are the team you end up in, the management, the teammates, your training regimen, and what goes on between your ears. This is why, it seems to me, most players who come to Manchester United end up playing poorly. Bruno came from Portugal and took the league by storm for a little while, but slowly regressed to become just as terrible as his teammates.

English fans like to act as if the PL is some difficult league, not for the faint of heart, but Martial at 19 with barely any experience in Ligue 1 was torturing the defenders there in his debut season. The league is irrelevant compared to the circumstances each individual player finds themselves in.

Last edited:

el3mel

I think this whole league thing is complete nonsense. The PL is not any more difficult to play in comparison to other leagues. What are far more important factors are the team you end up in, the management, the teammates, your training regiment, and what goes on between your ears. This is why, it seems to me, most players who come to Manchester United end up playing poorly. Bruno came from Portugal and took the league by storm for a little while, but slowly regressed to become just as terrible as his teammates.

English fans like to act as if the PL is some difficult league, not for the faint of heart, but Martial at 19 with barely any experience in Ligue 1 was torturing the defenders there in his debut season. The league is irrelevant compared to the circumstances each individual player finds themselves in.
Nah, the intensity and pressure in PL is far more and it also has less space than a lot of other leagues to operate. You don't usually have enough time on the ball or space to operate in as much as other leagues. Also Martial wasn't "torturing defenders" in his first season, that's an exaggeration, and even if it happens, that disproves your point anyway as Martial was playing in a disjointed team who was mostly awful and finished 5th this season scoring only 48 goals in the league and having a lot of nil nil draws.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Technically he's a good player, but there's just something that's just really off about him. It's hard to describe. He's never really positioned to cause any kind of damage - it's strange. It's like with his first touch the ball gets trapped underneath his feet, and he can't get it out quick enough to take on his man, play a cross or take a shot.

Strange footballer.
He seems extremely slow, not just running at defenders but making decisions, passing, basically needs a few seconds each time he gets the ball to do anything which is the key issue here. It doesn’t matter who he’s playing with, it will always be an issue as long as he does that because it will inevitably slow down all our attacks, which are quite slow to begin with even without him doing his casual ‘let’s stand there like a statue and decide what to do in the next 5 seconds’.

I thought it was confidence issue last year and it is still a possibility but at this point I am starting to think it is just the way he plays. We may try him in different positions, change his role, surround him with different players but I think over a year in all the talk about how ‘he will come good if A, B and C happen’ is really just fans trying to convince themselves he has to be good because he cost £75m and came with big reputation.

If you watched the same player play for Burnley or Everton for the last twelve months you would never convince yourself that he would even be a good bench option at £15m. I have seen more from the likes of Gordon, Gray, Benrahma, Wissa, Harrison etc over the same period, let alone someone like Saint Maximin or Bowen.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt after being ill and a doubt for the game.

Needs to step up and shoulder some responsibility this season though

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Nah, the intensity and pressure in PL is far more and it also has less space than a lot of other leagues to operate. You don't usually have enough time on the ball or space to operate in as much as other leagues. Also Martial wasn't "torturing defenders" in his first season, that's an exaggeration, and even if it happens, that disproves your point anyway as Martial was playing in a disjointed team who was mostly awful and finished 5th this season scoring only 48 goals in the league and having a lot of nil nil draws.
I don't think it disproves my point; he came from another league, didn't quite settle in yet, and was turning defenders like Van Dijk inside out and was scoring regularly, he was pretty much the bright spot for United on offense. Same for Bruno. As time went along, they lost themselves in the team.

I just don't buy it's ever about the league for anybody, it's always about the club, team, and the player themselves before the league even enters the equation.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Could clearly see that sancho was knackered at the end of the match so why did it take him till 90 mins to get subbed of?! Them subs in 90 mins were ridiculous and should of happened earlier, what impact can they have in 90 mins!

el3mel

I don't think it disproves my point; he came from another league, didn't quite settle in yet, and was turning defenders like Van Dijk inside out and was scoring regularly, he was pretty much the bright spot for United on offense. Same for Bruno. As time went along, they lost themselves in the team.

I just don't buy it's ever about the league for anybody, it's always about the club, team, and the player themselves before the league even enters the equation.
That was your point :

What are far more important factors are the team you end up in, the management, the teammates, your training regiment, and what goes on between your ears.
None of these apply on Martial in his first season, he was playing in a disjointed team who finished 5th, under a past it manager who was more interested in fighting with the press than managing the team, alongside awful teammates. So if he actually succeeded in this first season then it's up to him and him only being good enough (that's regardless of me actually thinking Martial's first season is overrated anyway).

Sancho, meanwhile, has been awful for us ever since he signed, except for the rare games here and there, so both aren't comparable. You're giving an example for one who started well and faded away later on, which isn't the case for Sancho, he has been disappointing since day one.

Anyway, the point about the league was just a response to him "being fantastic at BvB" which doesn't really mean much for how well he'll perform at United.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Could clearly see that sancho was knackered at the end of the match so why did it take him till 90 mins to get subbed of?! Them subs in 90 mins were ridiculous and should of happened earlier, what impact can they have in 90 mins!
They'll be hungry next game, and folks getting replaced can't complain and they know it. League is not a race but a maraton, as we know.

DJ_21

They'll be hungry next game, and folks getting replaced can't complain and they know it. League is not a race but a maraton, as we know.
They should all be replaced. I don’t even think it’s that though… the most important position on the pitch for me is midfield, that’s where everything operates, that’s where the attacks start of and where the game is controlled. Until we sort out the midfield issue then we’re just going to be a mess.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
They should all be replaced. I don’t even think it’s that though… the most important position on the pitch for me is midfield, that’s where everything operates, that’s where the attacks start of and where the game is controlled. Until we sort out the midfield issue then we’re just going to be a mess.
You're completely right of course. Not much else to say, either trust the young guys and fall with them or sign someone a lot better than McTominay and Fred. Replacing Mata with Erikson, in this setup with this bunch? What exactly will that do.

On topic though, I have to say that Sancho is a player that have the talent needed, so I trust him I don't stress his performances. When we're finally kinda looking like a team, you just know he will be right up there with the most assists in the league, he has that in him.

Ekeke

I would imagine that ETH forgot he was on the pitch

Stacks

I think this whole league thing is complete nonsense. The PL is not any more difficult to play in comparison to other leagues. What are far more important factors are the team you end up in, the management, the teammates, your training regimen, and what goes on between your ears. This is why, it seems to me, most players who come to Manchester United end up playing poorly. Bruno came from Portugal and took the league by storm for a little while, but slowly regressed to become just as terrible as his teammates.

Players from Bundesliga have said verbatim that it's far more difficult for a wingers in the premier league. Believe what you want. Sancho has looked good in only one team and one system so far (national and club)

DJ_21

You're completely right of course. Not much else to say, either trust the young guys and fall with them or sign someone a lot better than McTominay and Fred. Replacing Mata with Erikson, in this setup with this bunch? What exactly will that do.

On topic though, I have to say that Sancho is a player that have the talent needed, so I trust him I don't stress his performances. When we're finally kinda looking like a team, you just know he will be right up there with the most assists in the league, he has that in him.
Absolutely I agree. Once we’re functioning a lot better and playing as a team then sancho will be a star and one player that will shine under ten Hag. I do think it will take a while for us to start playing like ten Hag wants us to, because he’s finally getting us into a structure and a way of playing it will take time just as it did with klopp and Liverpool.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
That was your point :

None of these apply on Martial in his first season, he was playing in a disjointed team who finished 5th, under a past it manager who was more interested in fighting with the press than managing the team, alongside awful teammates. So if he actually succeeded in this first season then it's up to him and him only being good enough (that's regardless of me actually thinking Martial's first season is overrated anyway).

Sancho, meanwhile, has been awful for us ever since he signed, except for the rare games here and there, so both aren't comparable. You're giving an example for one who started well and faded away later on, which isn't the case for Sancho, he has been disappointing since day one.

Anyway, the point about the league was just a response to him "being fantastic at BvB" which doesn't really mean much for how well he'll perform at United.
I get your argument, Martial came out of the gates firing, then had a lull, and finished the season decently, we know the rest of his story. I used him and Bruno as an example to show players coming from 'weaker' leagues, and showing no issues of adaptation to the league before they are fully imbedded into the team, because the league itself is not the reason for success or failures IMO, I don't think it even enters in the top 5 reasons why a player will succeed or fail.

Agreed about Sancho, he seemed fantastic not just in the Bundesliga but in the CL as well, but he simply never kicked on at United and City was fine with letting him go before all of that. He still has time to turn things around, but he's definitely been a dud from the get-go.

Players from Bundesliga have said verbatim that it's far more difficult for a wingers in the premier league. Believe what you want. Sancho has looked good in only one team and one system so far (national and club)
They can say that all they want, I'm saying that's just a lazy analysis/excuse without trying to dig in deeper and look at themselves and their circumstances IMHO. It's easier to blame the league for your failures than looking deeper into why you've failed.

Messi at PSG was poor last season, couldn't even crack double digit goals in Ligue 1, somehow was banging them in the CL, and it's clearly not the league, but Pochettino's tactics and the absolute mess it was compared to what Galtier is doing now. Again, there is no exact science why a player will succeed or fail in a different league, but the league itself is way down the list of reasons to me, too many examples to show why it's a flawed logic. Whether we're talking about Mikhi, Sancho, those players didn't come into a team that was clicking on all cylinders and stunk the place up, where that would maybe give more validity to the league point, they just fell into the same crappy team that many other players lost their ways in. Werner is another example, it's not like strikers at Chelsea have been amazing for the past decade, why is that? Is it the league even though Lukaku was banging them in with two previous English teams before? This isn't me saying the PL is not faster, or has more qualities, but it also has a lot of piss-poor teams like all the other leagues where a good player should be able to find success. But if you're in a team that's poor tactically, mentally, with low morale, poor chemistry, maybe the city sucks, all those things are far bigger factors to me than the actual league the team is playing in.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
As much as I expect more from him... His performance is probably the one I care least about after today. He will be great in a better lineup

Sanchez7

We are paying him 350k/week. Salah earns that with his new contract, tons of better players make half as much. The board and management at this club is incompetent.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Can't really do much if you don't get fed the ball.

Our midfield was a shambles in the 1st half. 2nd half he got much more into it.

Ceeps

Average pace, poor ability to find space, can’t beat a man on the outside, seemingly lost any close control we all thought he had (though not sure even that was really considered a strength), cannot recall any game he’s played where I thought, there’s a player there or in retrospection any actual single moment. Hard to see what he has to offer in a struggling side, let alone if we were ever to do well. Of all the players we have, save for Bruno I’d say he’s the most underwhelming, especially considering the cost and hype.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
£74m and 350k a week and not even in the England squad anymore. Won't be going to the world cup either on today's showing. Saka and Bowen comfortably better players.

Nani was miles better than this guy and even he divided opinion.

Eddy_JukeZ

£74m and 350k a week and not even in the England squad anymore. Won't be going to the world cup either on today's showing. Saka and Bowen comfortably better players.

Nani was miles better than this guy and even he divided opinion.
Nani should have won the PFA Player of the Year award in 2011.

If Sancho gets close to that, I'd be amazed.

Yagami

Good post resistant
This guy is fast becoming a bit of a nothing player. Trossard and Gross looked a cut above him today

£74m is looking like a huge huge error. He can't beat a man and he looks very slow and ponderous with everything he does.
Trossard can keep the ball under pressure. That is the difference, and why he'd be a improvement over both Rashford and Sancho for us.

There was a thread on here linking us to him. He would improve us a lot just because of his strength under pressure.

Sancho may come good, but he'll always be a player who needs the team to play well to be effective due to being weak on the ball. We need more players who can excel despite the teams overall performance, and the thing these types of players have is being strong under pressure.

ForeverRed1

Everyone saying he’s a good player but poor today.. poor last season…

We need this guy to perform.. he has too perform, we can’t afford for him not too. He’s been here over a season and had a pre season.

the excuses have to stop for him, starting next game he has to do better.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
If he doesn't perform this season then he's another one who should go

I'm seeing signs why City let him go

the_cliff

Trossard can keep the ball under pressure. That is the difference, and why he'd be a improvement over both Rashford and Sancho for us.

There was a thread on here linking us to him. He would improve us a lot just because of his strength under pressure.

Sancho may come good, but he'll always be a player who needs the team to play well to be effective due to being weak on the ball. We need more players who can excel despite the teams overall performance, and the thing these types of players have is being strong under pressure.
I remember that thread, I remember being one of the few people on here wanting him. Unfortunately our fans see players by name not by talent and ability.

Today Trossard was head and shoulders above any of our players technically. Our only player that came close in terms of ability on the ball was Eriksen.

Status
Not open for further replies.