Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal fan here, was intrigued when you bought him to see how he and Saka would compare/compete. ATM, I think it's fair to say Saka is comfortably ahead of him and Sancho will have trouble going to WC if thigs don't improve ASAP.
I actually think Sancho is a bit better technically but Saka is ahead re: physicality, pace, decision-making and composure. Sancho has no end product right now and can't seem to beat players or keep the ball when pressured. He looks a completely different player to how he was in Germany. Not sure if this is because of the team/club or if Bundesliga is really a rubbish league. But he has been very underwhelming for the money spent. Pretty much like Pepe for us.

Apparently he was a bit under the weather against Brighton so maybe that's a reason that he was poor. But the first game of a new season, playing at home, after a strong pre-season. Really thought he would make things happen but he didn't look lively at all. Defenders easily managed him and if anything, he looked terrified/clueless to take them on.

OmarUnited4ever

I am still hopeful with Sancho, I know his last season might not justify me being hopeful, and he still has everything to prove to us all, and yesterday's game wasn't a good showing by him, but I am still hopeful, because I believe in his quality as a footballer.

In Rainbows

Normal service has resumed with the Caf I see, one poor game and he's being wrote off.
They'll cite last season because of stats, rather than him actually functioning like a normal footballer in a terrible team.

I don't even get what people mean with, "he's got to do better even if the team is crap!" Like what does that even mean? How the hell do you do better when you're not getting the ball because the midfielders can't service the attackers apart from giving it to Bruno, who then loses possession? Is there some "Click" remote where he can just physically make the ball appear at his feet? It's far harder to take things into your own hands when the opposing defense is settled and have numbers behind them.

I'm guessing all of this stems from wanting Sancho to do 1v1 football and make the fullback look silly. Even the best dribblers don't do that all the time. Sometimes they have matches where they have 8 dribbles completed, and then have 0 dribbles completed the next match.

Anyone that watched the 1st half clearly saw how McFred, Dalot, and Bruno were all nervous and or losing the ball too much. When we had possession, the midfield did not offer up good options to the CBs making any transition to attack difficult to start. Maybe I'm just watching a different match. I don't get how everybody can see these things (hence why we're all complaining about our midfield), and then expect the rest of the team to somehow ignore that.

zenith

Dalot was atrocious so that didn't help him. The midfield was negligible. Where the hell will the passing lines come from. Wide players are heavily dependent on midfield and full backs.

I wonder how good Beckham would be with Neville and Scholes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
They'll cite last season because of stats, rather than him actually functioning like a normal footballer in a terrible team.

I don't even get what people mean with, "he's got to do better even if the team is crap!" Like what does that even mean? How the hell do you do better when you're not getting the ball because the midfielders can't service the attackers apart from giving it to Bruno, who then loses possession? Is there some "Click" remote where he can just physically make the ball appear at his feet? It's far harder to take things into your own hands when the opposing defense is settled and have numbers behind them.

I'm guessing all of this stems from wanting Sancho to do 1v1 football and make the fullback look silly. Even the best dribblers don't do that all the time. Sometimes they have matches where they have 8 dribbles completed, and then have 0 dribbles completed the next match.

Anyone that watched the 1st half clearly saw how McFred, Dalot, and Bruno were all nervous and or losing the ball too much. When we had possession, the midfield did not offer up good options to the CBs making any transition to attack difficult to start. Maybe I'm just watching a different match. I don't get how everybody can see these things (hence why we're all complaining about our midfield), and then expect the rest of the team to somehow ignore that.
Sancho got a lot of the ball in good areas of the pitch. He didn’t do much with it. His final ball was poor. His defensive effort also left a lot to be desired. Our wide attackers really need to do a lot more when we’re not in possession. They’re being shown up in this regards by their opposite numbers, time and time again.

None of this makes him a terrible player but he didn’t have a good game. It’s ok to point this out.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
I actually thought he was fine yesterday.

You have to consider his performance with some context. He was actually trying to get on the ball and make things happen. He has a terrible midfield who cannot pass him the ball fast enough, an awful RB who wastes possession every overlap, and we played over half the game without a striker.

A-man

Mr Invisible. He’s a key player and need to be involved more and also take more responsibility himself.

In Rainbows

Sancho got a lot of the ball in good areas of the pitch. He didn’t do much with it. His final ball was poor. His defensive effort also left a lot to be desired. Our wide attackers really need to do a lot more when we’re not in possession. They’re being shown up in this regards by their opposite numbers, time and time again.

None of this makes him a terrible player but he didn’t have a good game. It’s ok to point this out.
I don't think it's wrong to suggest he had a poor game. Invisible is a poor game. But it's important to remember that invisibility isn't solely due to him being poor, and what's behind him largely contributes to that. I usually only blame players with regards to invisibility if the rest of the players are performing normally. Similar to how VDB was invisible in a pre season game despite most of his teammates showing up. Very unlike yesterday's match.

Certainly not enough of a poor individual performance to call into question his actual ability and his future outlook. Some of the posts in here are ridiculous.

flappyjay

Ever notice how our wingers are almost always double marked whilst the opposing wingers get more 1 v 1s.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Was invisible for large parts yesterday but looked pretty decent when he got on the ball.

All of our attackers will struggle with our current CM. No control of the game at all.

kirk buttercup

I felt for him yesterday actually. We don't have the players behind him to get the best out of him. Must be very frustrating for the lad

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I don't think it's wrong to suggest he had a poor game. Invisible is a poor game. But it's important to remember that invisibility isn't solely due to him being poor, and what's behind him largely contributes to that. I usually only blame players with regards to invisibility if the rest of the players are performing normally. Similar to how VDB was invisible in a pre season game despite most of his teammates showing up. Very unlike yesterday's match.

Certainly not enough of a poor individual performance to call into question his actual ability and his future outlook. Some of the posts in here are ridiculous.
IMO when you’re being paid as much as Mo Salah, it is reasonable to expect much, much more than what he’s showing. I don’t think you forked out that kind of money on his potential; he’s expected to perform now. Yes the team as a whole is very disjointed but he also has to take some personal responsibility. It’s not as if he’s creating chance after chance and his teammates are failing to capitalise.

TrueRed79

What is he good at? I have seen absolutely nothing since he has joined to justify what we spent on him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It’s cute how he gets excuses but other players don’t.

In Rainbows

What is he good at? I have seen absolutely nothing since he has joined to justify what we spent on him.
He's generally good in the final third, has great close control, and generally combines well with the others. We'll see how his dribbling statistics turn out after this full season. Usually the good young dribblers (from outside the PL) over the past few seasons have improved around their 2nd or 3rd season in the PL after an initial decline from their original league to the PL.

Probably because he's not crap on the ball like the majority of our players, and was quality in his very young career apart from last season. Can't say the same for the rest.

Hughes35

I think Sancho is a good footballer. Links up well, good movement and touch / weight of pass etc.

IMO he is a player who needs to be surrounded by a system and players that get the best out of him though. He doesn't have the ability to dominate a game single handed. He's one of our only players that I think would look great in the City or Liverpool team.

Skills

Snitch
He's still in the new toy phase. It happens all the time - you see it in the Martinez thread, people trying to spin a horrific debut into a good performance.

Darmian was the best full back since Maldini on here after his first month.

Bebestation

He's generally good in the final third, has great close control, and generally combines well with the others. We'll see how his dribbling statistics turn out after this full season. Usually the good young dribblers (from outside the PL) over the past few seasons have improved around their 2nd or 3rd season in the PL after an initial decline from their original league to the PL.

Probably because he's not crap on the ball like the majority of our players, and was quality in his very young career apart from last season. Can't say the same for the rest.
Im not one of those fans that loses my mind about a player that can dribble.

I need to see more of an end product to his work.

How he walks or dribbles is a bit of nothing to me.

Shark

@NotShark
He doesn't impose himself enough on the game. If he's not doing it against Brighton how can we expect it against Liverpool in two weeks. I'm tired of "system" players that hide in the shadows. Why can't we go after attackers that will take a game by the horns and motivate our attack. I'd even take Nani back in a heartbeat over this crowd put together.

dal

Hell get better the more we play erikson in a midfield 2. Hes still better than the others we have.

In Rainbows

Im not one of those fans that loses my mind about a player that can dribble.

I need to see more of an end product to his work.

How he walks or dribbles is a bit of nothing to me.
Trust me, I'm not fixated on dribbling. It's only one tool out of many a player can have.

And I do value end product. I'm just not going to stop believing in him after one terrible season in a terrible and toxic team. Maybe if his technical ability was a bit like Rashford would I not overlook that as that is foundational to how you'll fit in with other systems/players. I just need more evidence to conclude he's crap.

It's a bit like Kagawa after his first season, except Kagawa was actually in a far more functional team (great locker room and won the title) compared to what Sancho found himself in. If after this season he's still like this, I'll change my opinion.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I'm tired of "system" players that hide in the shadows. Why can't we go after attackers that will take a game by the horns and motivate our attack.
There is no proof that Sancho ever was a "system player" (whatever that even means...). He stood out in well working teams in Dortmund as well as in times when there was a lot of chaos there. However he also had times where he wasn't a factor at all there and his whole time at United looks similar to those.

And to me it is a bit of a mystery, I can only imagine some dynamics going on in the dressing room that leave him with a lack of confidence and understanding with his teammates, but that is far fetched and I have no proof.

KeanoMagicHat

Is it just me or does he not get passed the ball half enough? Maybe he needs to be more demanding in calling for it. He can definitely show more personality in taking charge but I feel the team just needs to give him the ball way more often. He's the best attacker on the ball.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Is it just me or does he not get passed the ball half enough? Maybe he needs to be more demanding in calling for it. He can definitely show more personality in taking charge but I feel the team just needs to give him the ball way more often. He's the best attacker on the ball.
He gets ignored in good positions all the time, even when he’s demanding it. Either his team mates really don’t like / trust him or they just don’t see the value of a simple ball to a man in space over a complicated solo effort.

IrishRedDevil

Slight problem is expecting McTominay to be able to make a forward pass.

KeanoMagicHat

He gets ignored in good positions all the time, even when he’s demanding it. Either his team mates really don’t like / trust him or they just don’t see the value of a simple ball to a man in space over a complicated solo effort.
It does show how bad United are as a group of individuals that this happens, it is noticeable, it's like playground stuff. Bruno in the past six months has been the worst culprit for "playground" kick and rush football. Ronaldo when he played and Rashford can be selfish too. It's frustrating to watch, it feels like Sancho will make two or three good inputs to the game, nice dribbles and passes and then he won't touch the ball for 10 minutes.

Slight problem is expecting McTominay to be able to make a forward pass.
That too is a big issue.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
From what I can gather

He's slow
Can't shoot
Can't cross
Can't beat his man

So why is he worth all that money and hype.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
You can tell who watched pre season and who is just judging him on one game. I’m convinced he will come good this season. Looked electric in pre-season and one game shouldn’t change that.

Trequartistry

You can tell who watched pre season and who is just judging him on one game. I’m convinced he will come good this season. Looked electric in pre-season and one game shouldn’t change that.
And you can tell who’s judging him from pre season versus who’s judging him from the entire last Premier League season and the start of this season

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
And you can tell who’s judging him from pre season versus who’s judging him from the entire last Premier League season and the start of this season
He was much better in the second half of last season and that in a terrible team under an even worse manager. He’s a top talent who will come good. One game doesn’t make the man or the team this season.

Stacks

I think Sancho is a good footballer. Links up well, good movement and touch / weight of pass etc.

IMO he is a player who needs to be surrounded by a system and players that get the best out of him though. He doesn't have the ability to dominate a game single handed. He's one of our only players that I think would look great in the City or Liverpool team.
He plays nothing like Liverpool wingers as he isn't the right profile. City did not seem fussed about letting him go or even bringing him back so I doubt it.

KeanoMagicHat

From what I can gather

He's slow
Can't shoot
Can't cross
Can't beat his man

So why is he worth all that money and hype.
Sancho had 45 assists in just over 100 Bundesliga games, he's a good crosser of the ball, he's good at creating space. He's not slow.

Doracle

Sancho had 45 assists in just over 100 Bundesliga games, he's a good crosser of the ball, he's good at creating space. He's not slow.
But in the premier league, he’s looked too slow to go past a defender and rarely seems to put in a dangerous cross. His main move seems to be running towards a defender doing a few steps overs and then stopping and playing a short pass backwards or sideways as he doesn’t have the confidence or ability to take his man on.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

He's not in bundesliga now though is he. I'm not really interested in what he did there. He's been shown up on a weekly basis by any Premier league fullbacks.

Fact is he's currently only got 5 assists and 4 goals for us in all competitions which is a diabolical return.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Is he? He got a lot of assists, but were they from crosses?

Bebestation

His crosses were just by beating the bundesliga high line and then cutting it back to Haaland.

Rinse and repeat.

Footyislife

He was class yesterday. Him, Ronaldo & Eriksen were bright spots yesterday.

You guys are all on drugs if you can't see how he's several levels above any other wide player we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.